Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • Really.

    Reasons? It would have been a 6th round before this last season.

    Predictions changed halfway through it, to 5th.

    Now, after this season is over, you watch him and Garapolo at the combine.

    I'm always looking for that Brian Sipe, Joe Montana, Bernie Kosar, Bill Nelson, Johnny Unitas kind of kid.

    I'm not impressed by hype. Guys like Ryan Leaf and Eli Manning, and plenty of others get the hype.

    Doesn't mean they can be successful when stepping up into the NFL and going to war with his offense around him.

    Just watch Shaw's rank improve at the combine.

    So, here's a question for you, Woody. What does Shaw not have, that Manziel, a projected high first round pick, have?

    (and what does Shaw have, that Manziel....doesn't......)

    I project Shaw as climbing into the third round, maybe second round, after the combine.

    ************************************************************

    Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina: The jury remains out on Shaw’s potential as an NFL prospect — the safe bet is that he’s a Day 3 project pick by some team able to spend a little time guiding a rookie quarterback. Shaw simply continues to produce this season, though, and gets those SEC-competition bonus points. He had three TD passes in a win over Arkansas on Saturday, giving him 10 touchdowns and no interceptions this season.

    Two more pluses for teams that may consider the Gamecock: Shaw can beat defenses with his feet (53.1 yards rushing per game in 2013) and he’s tough as nails.

    • Jimmy Garappolo, QB, Eastern Illinois: This has more to do with the buzz growing around Garappolo than anything. The small-school senior entered the season as a draft sleeper, but he’s going to be plenty known by the time we reach the pre-draft “bowl” games and the combine. He fired five TDs to no interceptions last Thursday, in a 63-7 rout of Austin Peay. The level of competition Garappolo is facing will be a concern for some front offices, but his quick-footed pass release and ability to roll through progressions will keep him on a lot of draft boards.

  • Connor Shaw looked like crap every time I seen him. Manziel AND Garappollo?

  • Garappollo isn't without flaws. I've seen him miss some open receivers while under pressure. Panicking too soon, etc.

    His potential is great though. He'll just need a chance to prove it in the NFL.

  • Bryn Renner is better or equal to Shaw. He was completing 67% of his passes until he got injured.

  • Geez, Renner? Never heard of him. Shaw was awesome in the bowl game,

    and his win record over his career is impressive.

  • Renner played at North Carolina 4 years

    Comp.% yds. TD INT. Rating

    Renner 66 8221 64 25 151.2

    Shaw 64 5762 53 16 153.2

    Fairly close Renner could be had in 7th round or FA.

  • Well if it's true that the browns are going for manziel at least we'll have another high pick three years from now. Any good qb prospects coming out in 2017?

  • Geez, Renner? Never heard of him. Shaw was awesome in the bowl game,

    and his win record over his career is impressive.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Geez, Renner? Never heard of him. Shaw

    never heard of either one of them.

    at least we know if we pick a clowney or watkins and BPAs for the first 4 rounds, those guys will still be around................

  • Renner played at North Carolina 4 years

    Comp.% yds. TD INT. Rating

    Renner 66 8221 64 25 151.2

    Shaw 64 5762 53 16 153.2

    Fairly close Renner could be had in 7th round or FA.

    @7moses7 said:

    Renner played at North Carolina 4 years

    Comp.% yds. TD INT. Rating

    Renner 66 8221 64 25 151.2

    Shaw 64 5762 53 16 153.2

    Fairly close Renner could be had in 7th round or FA.

    Renner plays in a wide open 5 WR spread O we need a Pro Style QB

  • Should Johney be given any credit for playing in the SEC? Should bortles be scrutenized for playing in Con USA?

    Theres no comparison between the two...

    There are a lot of NFL players on SEC defenses.

  • Should Johney be given any credit for playing in the SEC? Should bortles be scrutenized for playing in Con USA?

    Theres no comparison between the two...

    There are a lot of NFL players on SEC defenses.

    @jeffinwv said:

    Should Johney be given any credit for playing in the SEC? Should bortles be scrutenized for playing in Con USA?

    Theres no comparison between the two...

    There are a lot of NFL players on SEC defenses.

    They didn't play a whole lot of defense in the SEC this year.

  • SEC is the best conference in the country but still wildly overrated.

  • Bortles over Manziel all day long. 6-3 230 big arm, nice touch, good accuracy beats 5-11 200 running-for-his-life, throwing jump balls into traffic, getting broken in-half by a cornerback blitz.

  • Good piece about Manziel from QB guru George Whitfield Jr.

    http://static.cloud-texags.edgesuite.net/audio/0037703-smva-0.mp3

  • I swear if it's Manziel, that might just be the last straw. I'm not kidding.

  • It's obvious I'm a Manziel supporter, but I'm willing to admit this. He's easily the biggest boom or bust guy in recent memory. He's a lot better throwing the football than most of you care to admit (and scouts agree with me) but his frame is a concern. What I do know is this: Manziel would bring passion to this team. He's not going to look like the Retard qbs we've had who trot off the field and look lost and don't give a shit. He's going to take chances down the field and extend plays with his athletic ability. I'm willing to jump into the deep end and take a damn chance. It'll sure as shit be better than taking these mediocre back-up caliber guys and watching 4-12 seasons.

    The FO isn't stupid. They know this draft is pivotal to them having jobs in the nfl, with the centerpiece being the QB they undoubtedly pick. If they choose Manziel, I'll be all for it. His game translates to NFL success.

  • It's obvious I'm a Manziel supporter, but I'm willing to admit this. He's easily the biggest boom or bust guy in recent memory. He's a lot better throwing the football than most of you care to admit (and scouts agree with me) but his frame is a concern. What I do know is this: Manziel would bring passion to this team. He's not going to look like the Retard qbs we've had who trot off the field and look lost and don't give a shit. He's going to take chances down the field and extend plays with his athletic ability. I'm willing to jump into the deep end and take a damn chance. It'll sure as shit be better than taking these mediocre back-up caliber guys and watching 4-12 seasons.

    The FO isn't stupid. They know this draft is pivotal to them having jobs in the nfl, with the centerpiece being the QB they undoubtedly pick. If they choose Manziel, I'll be all for it. His game translates to NFL success.

    @jrb12711 said:

    It's obvious I'm a Manziel supporter, but I'm willing to admit this. He's easily the biggest boom or bust guy in recent memory. He's a lot better throwing the football than most of you care to admit (and scouts agree with me) but his frame is a concern. What I do know is this: Manziel would bring passion to this team. He's not going to look like the Retard qbs we've had who trot off the field and look lost and don't give a shit. He's going to take chances down the field and extend plays with his athletic ability. I'm willing to jump into the deep end and take a damn chance. It'll sure as shit be better than taking these mediocre back-up caliber guys and watching 4-12 seasons.

    The FO isn't stupid. They know this draft is pivotal to them having jobs in the nfl, with the centerpiece being the QB they undoubtedly pick. If they choose Manziel, I'll be all for it. His game translates to NFL success.

    I'm with you on Johnny. I also feel he has the highest ceiling of all the QBs, BUT also the lowest downside...definitely boom or bust. Because of that & the fact we have plenty of picks, I would like to see us draft him with pick 1A & take another QB with one of our 3rd round picks....call it insurance.

    The kid is INSTANT excitement & his passion for the game is contagious. He demands the best from himself AND his teammates on BOTH sides of the ball. He may be small but he's a tough guy & his pros far outweigh the cons. IMHO, he's well worth the gamble.

    Mike

  • @7moses7 said:

    Renner played at North Carolina 4 years

    Comp.% yds. TD INT. Rating

    Renner 66 8221 64 25 151.2

    Shaw 64 5762 53 16 153.2

    Fairly close Renner could be had in 7th round or FA.

    Renner plays in a wide open 5 WR spread O we need a Pro Style QB

    @topdawg31 said:

    Renner plays in a wide open 5 WR spread O we need a Pro Style QB

    We need a Pro style coach,first 😛

  • His touch,scrambling ability are great IMO.I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for his throwing ability.

    And in this day of protecting the QBs and stopping the crazy hits...chances are better than ever for him to succeed.

  • I have to admit, Canton Mike is starting to convince me about Manziel being the great pick.

    Johnny does have that fire, fierceness, love for the game, competitiveness and toughness, and

    bigtime football smarts.

    Although, I still wonder if Manziel is better off playing in a dome. Look at his college schedule.

    Plays southern teams. How does he function in Nov and Dec in the swirling winds and snow

    and rain in a northern open air stadium? Can he still be Manziel the escape artist? Can he

    make the required throws vs the wind ?

    In college, he almost always played in nice weather. That won't happen even if he is drafted

    by a team with a dome. Throwing into tight windows in those conditions?

    I don't know. But I can't really be all in with Johnny Manziel just yet, because it's too much fun to

    make jokes and disagree with Canton Mike over the phone. 🙂