Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • TyperWoods said:

    I'm waiting for the guys that keep beating their chests about how this is a Browns board and how they talk football here....to start.

    Really havent seen much Manziel talk from Manziel lovers except in this thread.

    Of course, if you try to discuss Manziel's football pros/cons, you get told this is a Browns board ad we talk football here.

    So, wake me up when that starts. K?

    LOL

    see this is how it works on a forum.....

    you see a thread about something that you are interested in and you look at it and if you want to say something, make a post.

    do you know there are other threads on this forum besides the manziel thread?

    i mean there are discussions going on right now about josh gordon

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29453

    about jimmy graham

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29452

    talk about our defensive backfield

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29456

    if you want football action talk that doesn't happen until there's actual football being played. this is the down time of year. it was pretty exciting pre-draft. should've been here for that. there was plenty of JF chatter then as well. when training camp starts and we start hearing what's going on, i'm sure there will be real football talk. right now it's talk about JF (cuz no one can ever stop talking about him) and what you are cooking on your grill.

    if you want to go back and rehash some A&M games and bring it into the discussion, feel free.

    @miktoxic said:

    see this is how it works on a forum.....

    you see a thread about something that you are interested in and you look at it and if you want to say something, make a post.

    do you know there are other threads on this forum besides the manziel thread?

    i mean there are discussions going on right now about josh gordon

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29453

    about jimmy graham

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29452

    talk about our defensive backfield

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29456

    if you want football action talk that doesn't happen until there's actual football being played. this is the down time of year. it was pretty exciting pre-draft. should've been here for that. there was plenty of JF chatter then as well. when training camp starts and we start hearing what's going on, i'm sure there will be real football talk. right now it's talk about JF (cuz no one can ever stop talking about him) and what you are cooking on your grill.

    if you want to go back and rehash some A&M games and bring it into the discussion, feel free.

    Yeah I know.

    I'm surprised there is as little JFF talk as there is on this board, TBH.

  • @cambridgeho said:

    Dear god, my dad lied to me then, i was told at a young age while living in Massillon that it was after Paul Brown, But Paul did like them being named after him.

    lol... no doubt, Paul liked it.

    My account of the origin is from a source I read years ago, and found to be believable. But accounts do vary...

    Here's the one at the HOF:

    "CLEVELAND BROWNS - The Cleveland All-America Football Conference franchise conducted a fan contest in 1945 to name the team. The most popular submission was “Browns” in recognition of the team’s first coach and general manager Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first vetoed the choice and the team selected from the contest entries the name “Panthers.” However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name."

    http://www.profootballhof.com/history/nicknames.aspx

    So there's an authoritative source in your Dad's corner...

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... no doubt, Paul liked it.

    My account of the origin is from a source I read years ago, and found to be believable. But accounts do vary...

    Here's the one at the HOF:

    "CLEVELAND BROWNS - The Cleveland All-America Football Conference franchise conducted a fan contest in 1945 to name the team. The most popular submission was “Browns” in recognition of the team’s first coach and general manager Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first vetoed the choice and the team selected from the contest entries the name “Panthers.” However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name."

    http://www.profootballhof.com/history/nicknames.aspx

    So there's an authoritative source in your Dad's corner...

    Thanks, to think all these years I didnt even look into it. Anyway, lets get this season going already!

  • Every message board is like a gradeschool playground. Avoid the bullies who think they rule the board and try to jump in every post to "mark" it with their scent. Usually some mocking comment or put down. Once you realize who they are, you just avoid them or ignore them.

  • @hoorta said:

    If you want to talk football, we can talk football. It's a two way street. Sure, some A&M fans follow the NFL too- but I doubt they've followed the Browns as extensively as most of us here have. Let's just say the average Browns fan is as knowledgeable- perhaps moreso, about the Browns as A&M fans are about Manziel, OK? Better is a bad choice of words.

    What irks us (and it's the reason WW got a timeout) is the extreme JF fans who can't stand any legitimate criticism or questioning of his talents, how they translate to the NFL, and go blasting other posters on top of it. If fired upon, some of us will return fire.

    The point has already been made if Manziel had no flaws in his game, he would have been the consensus #1 overall pick, and certainly wouldn't have fallen out of the top 3.

    I'm waiting for the guys that keep beating their chests about how this is a Browns board and how they talk football here....to start.

    Really havent seen much Manziel talk from Manziel lovers except in this thread.

    Of course, if you try to discuss Manziel's football pros/cons, you get told this is a Browns board ad we talk football here.

    So, wake me up when that starts. K?

    LOL

    TyperWoods said:

    I'm waiting for the guys that keep beating their chests about how this is a Browns board and how they talk football here....to start.

    Really havent seen much Manziel talk from Manziel lovers except in this thread.

    Of course, if you try to discuss Manziel's football pros/cons, you get told this is a Browns board ad we talk football here.

    So, wake me up when that starts. K?

    LOL

    All y'all just want to make this like Entertainment tonight and talk about a guys personality.

    In my opinion, there is nothing to talk football about JFF until he starts playing football. NFL football. We can talk all we want about what he did in college...and I guess that is fine,....but meaningless. Right now he is just the dark side of Tim Tebow.

    When he puts on Orange and Brown in August, then there will be something to see. And hopefully it will be good. Until then, to quote the Bard.

    It is all Sound and Fury, signifying nothing.

  • @cambridgeho said:

    Dear god, my dad lied to me then, i was told at a young age while living in Massillon that it was after Paul Brown, But Paul did like them being named after him.

    lol... no doubt, Paul liked it.

    My account of the origin is from a source I read years ago, and found to be believable. But accounts do vary...

    Here's the one at the HOF:

    "CLEVELAND BROWNS - The Cleveland All-America Football Conference franchise conducted a fan contest in 1945 to name the team. The most popular submission was “Browns” in recognition of the team’s first coach and general manager Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first vetoed the choice and the team selected from the contest entries the name “Panthers.” However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name."

    http://www.profootballhof.com/history/nicknames.aspx

    So there's an authoritative source in your Dad's corner...

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... no doubt, Paul liked it.

    My account of the origin is from a source I read years ago, and found to be believable. But accounts do vary...

    Here's the one at the HOF:

    "CLEVELAND BROWNS - The Cleveland All-America Football Conference franchise conducted a fan contest in 1945 to name the team. The most popular submission was “Browns” in recognition of the team’s first coach and general manager Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first vetoed the choice and the team selected from the contest entries the name “Panthers.” However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name."

    http://www.profootballhof.com/history/nicknames.aspx

    So there's an authoritative source in your Dad's corner...

    Yea, except it was Paul Brown himself that came up with the Joe Louis story....probably so that he wouldn't seem so venal....even if he was.

    Yea, the name of the team is The Browns because of Paul Brown. It is also because of Paul Brown that there is another version.

  • TyperWoods said:

    I'm waiting for the guys that keep beating their chests about how this is a Browns board and how they talk football here....to start.

    Really havent seen much Manziel talk from Manziel lovers except in this thread.

    Of course, if you try to discuss Manziel's football pros/cons, you get told this is a Browns board ad we talk football here.

    So, wake me up when that starts. K?

    LOL

    All y'all just want to make this like Entertainment tonight and talk about a guys personality.

    In my opinion, there is nothing to talk football about JFF until he starts playing football. NFL football. We can talk all we want about what he did in college...and I guess that is fine,....but meaningless. Right now he is just the dark side of Tim Tebow.

    When he puts on Orange and Brown in August, then there will be something to see. And hopefully it will be good. Until then, to quote the Bard.

    It is all Sound and Fury, signifying nothing.

    @the-gipper said:

    All y'all just want to make this like Entertainment tonight and talk about a guys personality.

    In my opinion, there is nothing to talk football about JFF until he starts playing football. NFL football. We can talk all we want about what he did in college...and I guess that is fine,....but meaningless. Right now he is just the dark side of Tim Tebow.

    When he puts on Orange and Brown in August, then there will be something to see. And hopefully it will be good. Until then, to quote the Bard.

    It is all Sound and Fury, signifying nothing.

    Firstly I haven't said one thing about his personality. Generally, it's the h8rs thatbring that up.

    Secondly, its "yall".

  • Every message board is like a gradeschool playground. Avoid the bullies who think they rule the board and try to jump in every post to "mark" it with their scent. Usually some mocking comment or put down. Once you realize who they are, you just avoid them or ignore them.

    @kvoethe said:

    Every message board is like a gradeschool playground. Avoid the bullies who think they rule the board and try to jump in every post to "mark" it with their scent. Usually some mocking comment or put down. Once you realize who they are, you just avoid them or ignore them.

    Now this, I can agree with.

  • @the-gipper said:

    All y'all just want to make this like Entertainment tonight and talk about a guys personality.

    In my opinion, there is nothing to talk football about JFF until he starts playing football. NFL football. We can talk all we want about what he did in college...and I guess that is fine,....but meaningless. Right now he is just the dark side of Tim Tebow.

    When he puts on Orange and Brown in August, then there will be something to see. And hopefully it will be good. Until then, to quote the Bard.

    It is all Sound and Fury, signifying nothing.

    Firstly I haven't said one thing about his personality. Generally, it's the h8rs thatbring that up.

    Secondly, its "yall".

    TyperWoods said:

    Firstly I haven't said one thing about his personality. Generally, it's the h8rs thatbring that up.

    Secondly, its "yall".

    I wasn't talking to just you. I was talking to everyone. The plural of y'all is All y'all. Every southron boy knows that. 😮

  • Actualy, It IS "y'all"...

    it's more a southern slang contraction for "you all".

    I don't know what a "yall" is. I'm open to suggestions...

  • Actualy, It IS "y'all"...

    it's more a southern slang contraction for "you all".

    I don't know what a "yall" is. I'm open to suggestions...

    @calfoxwc said:

    Actualy, It IS "y'all"...

    it's more a southern slang contraction for "you all".

    I don't know what a "yall" is. I'm open to suggestions...

    "yall" is internet slang for "you all".

  • I'm not a southern boy.

    I'm a Texas boy. Yall.

  • "There be weekend liberty in it fo all y'all"

    Name that movie.

  • I'm not a southern boy.

    I'm a Texas boy. Yall.

    TyperWoods said:

    I'm not a southern boy.

    I'm a Texas boy. Yall.

    Texas was part of the Confederacy. Or do you now wish to disavow that historicall affiliation?

    (and at least yinz ain't from Pittsboig).

  • "There be weekend liberty in it fo all y'all"

    Name that movie.

    @kvoethe said:

    "There be weekend liberty in it fo all y'all"

    Name that movie.

    Con Air? No. Holes?

  • biloxi blues? officer and a gentleman?

  • Texas is a cool state. Lots of friends from Texas.

  • I'm not a southern boy.

    I'm a Texas boy. Yall.

    TyperWoods said:

    I'm not a southern boy.

    I'm a Texas boy. Yall.

    TyperWoods said:

    I'm not a southern boy.

    I'm a Texas boy. Yall.

    Got news for you....that makes you a Southerner. Tennessee played a big role in what is modern day Texas.....and it's Y'all( I've lived in Tennessee for almost 40 years now)

  • Hint. The war was falkland islands

  • Yep. Tennessee played a big role in Texas.

    I don't consider Texas part of the south.

    Texas is Texas.

    "You all" is the plural form of "yall"

  • TyperWoods said:

    Firstly I haven't said one thing about his personality. Generally, it's the h8rs thatbring that up.

    Secondly, its "yall".

    I wasn't talking to just you. I was talking to everyone. The plural of y'all is All y'all. Every southron boy knows that. 😮

    @the-gipper said:

    I wasn't talking to just you. I was talking to everyone. The plural of y'all is All y'all. Every southron boy knows that. 😮

    Or yins/yuns in East Ohio/West PA