Jonathan Paul Manziel
-
If it stays like that for six months its a winner.
-
Competition......... real competition and not that shit we've seen before, will only make both QBs better. I hope there is real competition at every position and the best player plays regardless of draft status or salary.
Competition......... real competition and not that shit we've seen before, will only make both QBs better. I hope there is real competition at every position and the best player plays regardless of draft status or salary.
I believe there WILL be real competition as it has already been stated that both QBs will take snaps with the 1st team. In the past, only 1 QB did & my argument was that the players surrounding the battling QBs were NOT equal, thus it was NOT a competition.
I'm excited to see what happens. Whichever way it goes, I look for Hoyer, Manziel, & Shaw (listed alphabetically) to be as fine a group of THREE QBs as this league will have.......We'll see.
Mike
Mike
-
@everlastingxxx said:
Manziel jersey #1 in NFL.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136544-johnny-manziels-no-2-is-best-selling-jersey-in-nfl
What did PT Barnum say? I'll wait until JF wins a Super Bowl or two.
We have lots of bargain basement Richardson, Weeden, McCoy, and Little jerseys available NOW at NFL shop. If you still have a Couch jersey (I do) you can save a lot of money just changing the name on the back. Yar.
-
Training camp battle: Brian Hoyer vs. Johnny Manziel
Posted 21 hours ago
Kevin JonesStaff WriterESPN camera crews might change hotels down I-71 South, but they’ll be posting up in Cleveland again until mid-August. The Cavs are passing the torch straight to the Browns for the most talked-about sports team in the country.
Let’s not sugarcoat it: Brian Hoyer
against Johnny Manziel
is the juiciest NFL storyline as we head into training camp.Jim Donovan and Nathan Zegura will host the official Browns training camp preview show this Thursday at 7 p.m. on WKYC channel 3.
Let the games begin.
Brian Hoyer
Age: 28
Last season: 3 games, 615 passing yards, 5 TD’s, 3 INT’s,
Strengths: Decision making, leading by example, accuracy, he’s hungry for his moment.
Question mark: Four career starts in five seasons.
Quotable: “At this point now, I can kind of take my starter mentality with my teammates. For example, just throwing the other day with Andrew Hawkins
, I can be like, ‘Hawk, on this route, I’d really like it if you do it this way.’ Last year I didn’t really feel like I could do that because at the time, Brandon Weeden was the starter. You don’t want to step on anybody’s toes. Now I can [take the starting] approach.”***
Brian Hoyer, among other things we’ll discuss, has this going for him: he’s the best quarterback Cleveland has seen since 2007 – at least based on a very brief body of work.
There’s no denying Hoyer’s presence behind center in 2013 gave the Browns a sense of clarity. The entire team responded to Hoyer. The game always seemed winnable when Hoyer was slinging darts toJordan Cameron
and managing a two-minute offense. Mike Pettine even told us he thinks if Hoyer stayed healthy last season, that Pettine himself wouldn’t be in Cleveland – meaning the Browns would have won a bunch of more games.So why try and make any drastic quarterback change now? Why not at least start the season with someone who looked more than steady just nine months earlier? The Browns’ defense, revamped running game and an attitude metamorphosis in the building are all factors in why Cleveland should believe that a playoff push is within reach. The only thing missing is a veteran quarterback who takes care of the football.
Include all of the above on top of Hoyer’s dedication to return from his ACL injury has been unmatched. There essentially was not an offseason for Hoyer, who has been at the team facility more than any other player – by far. A few receivers mentioned Hoyer’s work ethic has made them want to raise their own. That’s the definition of leadership.
Hoyer also has this going for him: his mentor is Tom Brady from their days together in New England. The two stay in contact more than you would believe. We could think of worse people to receive advice from.
While Hoyer’s lead in the competition “is not insurmountable,” said Pettine, at the moment, it seems pretty significant. He’s done everything right. He’s said everything right. He’s waited for this moment since entering the league in 2009. Here it is.
Johnny Manziel
Age: 21
Last season: 13 games, 4,114 passing yards, 759 rushing yards, 58 total TD’s, 13 INT’s
Strengths: Makes other players better, cannon arm, shifty speed, infectious confidence.
Question mark: He’s a 21-year-old rookie.
Quotable: “The Browns definitely drafted me with an idea of what my skills were and what some of my weaknesses were. For me, the coaches are continuing to adapt to me and I’m continuing to adapt a little to them. I’m continuing to try and get better as an all-around quarterback. I know what I can through running the ball and things like that. So I’m just continuing to improve as a passer and improving my timing as a quarterback.”
***
Johnny Manziel, among other things we’ll discuss, has this going for him: he’s a humongous Christmas present wrapped under the tree and we have no idea what it could be.
On his very first play of the preseason, Manziel could scramble for a 64-yard touchdown. Or he could throw an interception. In the infancy of his career, he defines the word wild card.
But goodness gracious is he talented. So talented, that it’s tempting to start him from day one.
Manziel can fit the football where most quarterbacks can’t. He has the rare trait of being able to throw receivers open, meaning he could be the unconfirmed wide receiving corps best friend. His speed, and underrated vision that comes along with his feet, freezes linebackers, opening up the entire field. Mostly, Manziel loves pressure, something most Cleveland fans haven’t been able to say about their quarterback in ages. When he’s been backed into a corner during the fourth quarter, Manziel almost always pulled a Harry Houdini.
The thing to remember about Manziel is that, he, more than most quarterbacks, shouldn’t be solely judged on practice. No matter how hard SEC defenses prepared for Manziel’s athletic ability during the week, he would out maneuver them on Saturday’s – through the air or with his legs. It’ll be up to Manziel to show the world he’s still that guy in preseason games.
As Manziel says himself, the Browns drafted him with an idea of his skills. If he indeed does win the starting job, it won’t be a muted version of what he was at Texas A&M. With more refined footwork and mechanics, he will be Johnny Manziel in a Browns jersey. The thought of him scoring touchdowns is exciting, not just for fans, but the coaching staff too.
Training camp won’t be a physical challenge for the gifted Manziel. Nope, the grind of camp will test Manziel between the ears. Some will be the playbook. Some will be the tempo in the huddle. Some will be the expectations to be the ever confident Johnny Football.
Ah, the word confidence. It’ll be linked with the Browns’ quarterback for his honest answers to questions and his transparent lifestyle. Eventually, Manziel does have the confidence in himself to propel his name alongside Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger. Manziel wants it that badly. It’s that confidence or “it factor,” as Pettine calls it, that could rally the Browns. It’s what ultimately gives Manziel a legitimate chance to unseat Hoyer.
NFL careers are marathons. Could Manziel have the RGIII-effect and give the Browns enough wins to sneak into the playoffs? Potentially. But sometimes it’s better to leave the Christmas present unwrapped.
That’s the decision Mike Pettine and his staff will have to make when the time is right.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
Manziel jersey #1 in NFL.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136544-johnny-manziels-no-2-is-best-selling-jersey-in-nfl
That post must have been hard to compose, with only one hand on the keyboard while the other one was playing with yourself, all while dreaming of your new XXS authentic Johnny jersey.
-
Training camp battle: Brian Hoyer vs. Johnny Manziel
Posted 21 hours ago
Kevin JonesStaff WriterESPN camera crews might change hotels down I-71 South, but they’ll be posting up in Cleveland again until mid-August. The Cavs are passing the torch straight to the Browns for the most talked-about sports team in the country.
Let’s not sugarcoat it: Brian Hoyer
against Johnny Manziel
is the juiciest NFL storyline as we head into training camp.Jim Donovan and Nathan Zegura will host the official Browns training camp preview show this Thursday at 7 p.m. on WKYC channel 3.
Let the games begin.
Brian Hoyer
Age: 28
Last season: 3 games, 615 passing yards, 5 TD’s, 3 INT’s,
Strengths: Decision making, leading by example, accuracy, he’s hungry for his moment.
Question mark: Four career starts in five seasons.
Quotable: “At this point now, I can kind of take my starter mentality with my teammates. For example, just throwing the other day with Andrew Hawkins
, I can be like, ‘Hawk, on this route, I’d really like it if you do it this way.’ Last year I didn’t really feel like I could do that because at the time, Brandon Weeden was the starter. You don’t want to step on anybody’s toes. Now I can [take the starting] approach.”***
Brian Hoyer, among other things we’ll discuss, has this going for him: he’s the best quarterback Cleveland has seen since 2007 – at least based on a very brief body of work.
There’s no denying Hoyer’s presence behind center in 2013 gave the Browns a sense of clarity. The entire team responded to Hoyer. The game always seemed winnable when Hoyer was slinging darts toJordan Cameron
and managing a two-minute offense. Mike Pettine even told us he thinks if Hoyer stayed healthy last season, that Pettine himself wouldn’t be in Cleveland – meaning the Browns would have won a bunch of more games.So why try and make any drastic quarterback change now? Why not at least start the season with someone who looked more than steady just nine months earlier? The Browns’ defense, revamped running game and an attitude metamorphosis in the building are all factors in why Cleveland should believe that a playoff push is within reach. The only thing missing is a veteran quarterback who takes care of the football.
Include all of the above on top of Hoyer’s dedication to return from his ACL injury has been unmatched. There essentially was not an offseason for Hoyer, who has been at the team facility more than any other player – by far. A few receivers mentioned Hoyer’s work ethic has made them want to raise their own. That’s the definition of leadership.
Hoyer also has this going for him: his mentor is Tom Brady from their days together in New England. The two stay in contact more than you would believe. We could think of worse people to receive advice from.
While Hoyer’s lead in the competition “is not insurmountable,” said Pettine, at the moment, it seems pretty significant. He’s done everything right. He’s said everything right. He’s waited for this moment since entering the league in 2009. Here it is.
Johnny Manziel
Age: 21
Last season: 13 games, 4,114 passing yards, 759 rushing yards, 58 total TD’s, 13 INT’s
Strengths: Makes other players better, cannon arm, shifty speed, infectious confidence.
Question mark: He’s a 21-year-old rookie.
Quotable: “The Browns definitely drafted me with an idea of what my skills were and what some of my weaknesses were. For me, the coaches are continuing to adapt to me and I’m continuing to adapt a little to them. I’m continuing to try and get better as an all-around quarterback. I know what I can through running the ball and things like that. So I’m just continuing to improve as a passer and improving my timing as a quarterback.”
***
Johnny Manziel, among other things we’ll discuss, has this going for him: he’s a humongous Christmas present wrapped under the tree and we have no idea what it could be.
On his very first play of the preseason, Manziel could scramble for a 64-yard touchdown. Or he could throw an interception. In the infancy of his career, he defines the word wild card.
But goodness gracious is he talented. So talented, that it’s tempting to start him from day one.
Manziel can fit the football where most quarterbacks can’t. He has the rare trait of being able to throw receivers open, meaning he could be the unconfirmed wide receiving corps best friend. His speed, and underrated vision that comes along with his feet, freezes linebackers, opening up the entire field. Mostly, Manziel loves pressure, something most Cleveland fans haven’t been able to say about their quarterback in ages. When he’s been backed into a corner during the fourth quarter, Manziel almost always pulled a Harry Houdini.
The thing to remember about Manziel is that, he, more than most quarterbacks, shouldn’t be solely judged on practice. No matter how hard SEC defenses prepared for Manziel’s athletic ability during the week, he would out maneuver them on Saturday’s – through the air or with his legs. It’ll be up to Manziel to show the world he’s still that guy in preseason games.
As Manziel says himself, the Browns drafted him with an idea of his skills. If he indeed does win the starting job, it won’t be a muted version of what he was at Texas A&M. With more refined footwork and mechanics, he will be Johnny Manziel in a Browns jersey. The thought of him scoring touchdowns is exciting, not just for fans, but the coaching staff too.
Training camp won’t be a physical challenge for the gifted Manziel. Nope, the grind of camp will test Manziel between the ears. Some will be the playbook. Some will be the tempo in the huddle. Some will be the expectations to be the ever confident Johnny Football.
Ah, the word confidence. It’ll be linked with the Browns’ quarterback for his honest answers to questions and his transparent lifestyle. Eventually, Manziel does have the confidence in himself to propel his name alongside Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger. Manziel wants it that badly. It’s that confidence or “it factor,” as Pettine calls it, that could rally the Browns. It’s what ultimately gives Manziel a legitimate chance to unseat Hoyer.
NFL careers are marathons. Could Manziel have the RGIII-effect and give the Browns enough wins to sneak into the playoffs? Potentially. But sometimes it’s better to leave the Christmas present unwrapped.
That’s the decision Mike Pettine and his staff will have to make when the time is right.
@everlastingxxx said:
Johnny Manziel got better in his second year at reading his progressions and he will continue to improve on that aspect of his game. If everyone is covered, he can by time with his legs until they get open. Every NFL defensive coach fears a guy that can do that.
Every QB is taking a chance when he throws a ball downfield. Rookie QBs are usually given game plans that rely on high percentage and low risk throws. This is basic football 101.
Hoyer is not Tom Brady. Hoyer was effective using his legs last season and will need them again.
There will be no controversy once Manziel becomes the starter.
I think I'll try a thoughtless, knee-jerk, naysaying reply for a change... they look like fun...
- The jump to the NFL has already set back JM's ability to read coverages.
- How much a DC fears a QB's running is proportional to how much he fears that QB's passing.
- "A chance" ignores the magnitude of the chance which varies with the QB and their abilities... abilities like reading coverages (see above).
- Using legs to slide in the pocket is not exactly taxing. Neither is running 3 times per game.
- Depends upon how Hoyer played and how JM plays once he does get the chance to start.
Zombo said:
Training camp battle: Brian Hoyer vs. Johnny Manziel
Interesting take... Kind of a F-150 vs. Ferrari comparison.
Only issue I had was "cannon arm" which nearly landed my espresso on my screen...
-
@everlastingxxx said:
Manziel jersey #1 in NFL.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136544-johnny-manziels-no-2-is-best-selling-jersey-in-nfl
How many dozen did you buy?
(Sorry, if I were to buy a jersey, that #2 would have a 3 in front of it)
-
@everlastingxxx said:
Manziel jersey #1 in NFL.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136544-johnny-manziels-no-2-is-best-selling-jersey-in-nfl
What did PT Barnum say? I'll wait until JF wins a Super Bowl or two.
We have lots of bargain basement Richardson, Weeden, McCoy, and Little jerseys available NOW at NFL shop. If you still have a Couch jersey (I do) you can save a lot of money just changing the name on the back. Yar.
What did PT Barnum say? I'll wait until JF wins a Super Bowl or two.
We have lots of bargain basement Richardson, Weeden, McCoy, and Little jerseys available NOW at NFL shop. If you still have a Couch jersey (I do) you can save a lot of money just changing the name on the back. Yar.
Now it's two Super Bowls?
-
@everlastingxxx said:
Manziel jersey #1 in NFL.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136544-johnny-manziels-no-2-is-best-selling-jersey-in-nfl
How many dozen did you buy?
(Sorry, if I were to buy a jersey, that #2 would have a 3 in front of it)
How many dozen did you buy?
(Sorry, if I were to buy a jersey, that #2 would have a 3 in front of it)
Or after it- Haden.
Amazing the popularity of Manziel though.Now it's two Super Bowls?
LOL TC, I don't care if Manziel wins 10 Super Bowls, I won't buy his (or any other players) jersey with their name on it. Rushing out and buying a Couch jersey taught me the wisdom of caution in regards to the next great thing. Joe Thomas would be my choice if I did. I've said many times I have a permanent solution to that problem. My jersey is #46- a lot of people don't know it's retired- it's also the year the Browns were formed. OK, it belongs to a dead guy, Don Fleming- and I put my last name on the back, I'm old enough to be near death at any time. Will never go out of style- guaranteed.
-
I think just buy a jersey with no name on it is the safest.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
I am not much of a jersey person. I have a Romo jersey in my closet given as a gift. My wife did buy me the Money Manziel Nike shirt for fathers day, lol.

I don't think Romo is the only thing in your closet.
Zombo
-
one funny dude right there.
LMAO!
-
How many dozen did you buy?
(Sorry, if I were to buy a jersey, that #2 would have a 3 in front of it)
Or after it- Haden.
Amazing the popularity of Manziel though.Now it's two Super Bowls?
LOL TC, I don't care if Manziel wins 10 Super Bowls, I won't buy his (or any other players) jersey with their name on it. Rushing out and buying a Couch jersey taught me the wisdom of caution in regards to the next great thing. Joe Thomas would be my choice if I did. I've said many times I have a permanent solution to that problem. My jersey is #46- a lot of people don't know it's retired- it's also the year the Browns were formed. OK, it belongs to a dead guy, Don Fleming- and I put my last name on the back, I'm old enough to be near death at any time. Will never go out of style- guaranteed.
LOL TC, I don't care if Manziel wins 10 Super Bowls, I won't buy his (or any other players) jersey with their name on it. Rushing out and buying a Couch jersey taught me the wisdom of caution in regards to the next great thing. Joe Thomas would be my choice if I did. I've said many times I have a permanent solution to that problem. My jersey is #46- a lot of people don't know it's retired- it's also the year the Browns were formed. OK, it belongs to a dead guy, Don Fleming- and I put my last name on the back, I'm old enough to be near death at any time. Will never go out of style- guaranteed.Even at a young age I got burned twice on that very thing before I decided to never buy a rookie/one year breakout jersey. 2008 was a rough year for me with my Anderson and Edwards jerseys haha. I finally feel confident and will likely buy a Haden jersey this year.
-
just go for the obscure guy with a screwy name on the starting roster and you can't lose because it will always be a conversation starter.
i got a footman jersey. remember him? fsu? supposed awesome DE.
name rings bells and people ask.
-
has anyone looked at hoyer's career.?
his greatest accoimplishment? Big 10 honorable mention.
this just baffles me.
you have 1 QB that might be able to make you a Super Bowl contender,
it ain't the guy who's been released twice, coming off a torn ACL and started something like 4 games in 5 years.
but, hey, some people like 7-2 if they're suited, good luck with that.

-
has anyone looked at hoyer's career.?
his greatest accoimplishment? Big 10 honorable mention.
this just baffles me.
you have 1 QB that might be able to make you a Super Bowl contender,
it ain't the guy who's been released twice, coming off a torn ACL and started something like 4 games in 5 years.
but, hey, some people like 7-2 if they're suited, good luck with that.

has anyone looked at hoyer's career.?
his greatest accoimplishment? Big 10 honorable mention.
this just baffles me.
you have 1 QB that might be able to make you a Super Bowl contender,
it ain't the guy who's been released twice, coming off a torn ACL and started something like 4 games in 5 years.
but, hey, some people like 7-2 if they're suited, good luck with that.

He was a backup quarterback for his first two years, He was seventh on the depth chart and had an intense struggle to get some playing time. An All-Big Ten honorable mention both seasons and team captain his senior year. BTW, that's Tom Brady at Michigan, not Brian Hoyer at Michigan State. BTW, Brady "only" passed for 4,000+ yards and a 90+ qbr coming off his ACL- so don't tell me stuff like that can't happen.
It just amazes me the Johnny lovers are SO ready to throw Hoyer under the bus- there's a legion of Browns fans that want to see Hoyer get his legit chance to start. While Johnny was out partying his ass off every weekend since Draft Day, Hoyer was busting his ass in the weight room doing rehab, and working out with the Browns Wrs.
Here's a Manziel stat for you- ZERO NFL stats as yet. His college stats mean jack shit- just ask Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf for confirmation on that one. Will JF be great? we hope so- but like they say in Missouri- "Show Me"
In case you don't realize it yet- Hoyer is from Cleveland- and the local guys score heavy points with a large percentage of the fanbase.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
I rewatched the Vikings game to try to see what all these Hoyer fan see in him. He showed some poise and good accuracy but he also made some really bad decisions. 2 Interceptions where he completely didnt see the defender and misread the coverage. Another interception where he had his arm hit because he didnt anticipate the pressure. The second game was more of a defensive battle. He threw alot of check-downs. 2 fucking games to evaluate the guy. What happens when the other team starts getting real game tape on him and tailors a game plan around his strengths? Whats his upside? Why did the best coach in NFL let him go if he is the next Tom Brady? Hoyer has just as many questions that need to be answered.
That's what the Browns fans Hoyer naysayers- are saying. What's Hoyer's upside? A guy by the name of Brian Sipe. Downside? Career backup. What's Manziel's upside? Fran Tarkenton. Downside? Ryan Leaf or Justin Blackmon.
It will be the same with Manziel- in case you didn't realize. Don't think NFL defensive coordinators haven't already watched games where Manziel didn't do well and say- yup- we're going to try that.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
Hoyer has just as many questions that need to be answered.
that's why there's TC and the decision on who the starter will be won't be made until after the 3rd preseason game.
see the thing that disturbs real football fans is the way the JF fans think he should be given the job. someone eluded to the selfie of manziel w/ Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche and mayweather etc. saying "no one gave mayweather his championships. no one gave Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche his careeer or tyrese his career. why do people think JF should be given anything? no, he has to earn it like they did. is it expected of him? yes. but until he earns it he ain't big time." i think it was on the 10 secs i watched of the segment of FIRST TAKE.
i truly believe it will be a real competition. if manziel is the second coming as you all believe then what is the problem? believe if any one of the 2 has more going against him it's hoyer. you don't think haslam wouldn't love to see manziel-mania go into full swing and the bank come rolling his way (lord knows he has to recoup some money)? from hoyers minute on tv the other day at least we know the guy is a humble and said "hey, he's my team mate. if he wins the job, more power to him. i truly want the best QB on the field for my home team."
when asked if he had a selfie with Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche hoyer said "no, but i have one with my 2 year old daughter."
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login