Jonathan Paul Manziel
-
An example of Manziel getting pressured and having to play in bad weather (Cleveland has that in spades).
An example of Manziel getting pressured and having to play in bad weather (Cleveland has that in spades).
Yep he got pressured quite a bit, alot of missed assignments from the o-line.
Weather didn't look to bad, might of been a little cold.
what was your critique of Manziel
-
I'm not bashing you. You know I respect you and value your opinions.Ditto- You're having more fun bashing me than explaining why Manziel is such a great pick for the Browns @ #4.
It's combine week let's see what Mighty Manziel really weighs in at. Of course he's not going to throw- will he dare to step on a scale?
I just think you're being awfully close minded on Manziel because you don't like him as a person and are therefore clinging to things that are either inconsequential or fabricated.
His "happy feet" are the same happy feet that Manning is praised for, as Mike referenced previously. Manning, however, moves in a vertical line in the pocket, whereas Manziel moves laterally. Obviously, they're incomparable in their styles of play, but "happy feet" is not a knock. It is a welcome asset in a quarterback.
"The Good: Poised under pressure, looks off the safety and takes what the defense gives him. Possesses a terrific pump fake, drives his long passes down the field and smartly places his deep throws in front of the target, letting receivers run to the ball. Gets outside the pocket, makes plays on the move and loses nothing on his throws displaying zip on the short passes or driving the deep tosses while on the run. In complete control of the offense in every sense of the word and a true leader that makes good decisions and does not put his team in a bad spot.
The Bad: Needs to improve his footwork, release and does not throw the tightest spirals.
The Skinny: A young signal caller with a tremendous amount of upside potential as he matures both physically and mentally. Great prospect for the future."
Would you say that's an apt scouting report for JF?
I'm not bashing you. You know I respect you and value your opinions.
I just think you're being awfully close minded on Manziel because you don't like him as a person and are therefore clinging to things that are either inconsequential or fabricated.
His "happy feet" are the same happy feet that Manning is praised for, as Mike referenced previously. Manning, however, moves in a vertical line in the pocket, whereas Manziel moves laterally. Obviously, they're incomparable in their styles of play, but "happy feet" is not a knock. It is a welcome asset in a quarterback.
"The Good: Poised under pressure, looks off the safety and takes what the defense gives him. Possesses a terrific pump fake, drives his long passes down the field and smartly places his deep throws in front of the target, letting receivers run to the ball. Gets outside the pocket, makes plays on the move and loses nothing on his throws displaying zip on the short passes or driving the deep tosses while on the run. In complete control of the offense in every sense of the word and a true leader that makes good decisions and does not put his team in a bad spot.
The Bad: Needs to improve his footwork, release and does not throw the tightest spirals.
The Skinny: A young signal caller with a tremendous amount of upside potential as he matures both physically and mentally. Great prospect for the future."
Would you say that's an apt scouting report for JF?
Maybe the truth is somewhere between that and the other scouting report bashing him as a third round developmental prospect. I'm sure you realize a bunch of respected scouts think he also has a tremendous downside. And really TC, skipping the attitude and just looking at the on field stuff, I can't see this guy as a top 5, much less #1 overall as Kiper has him. We're all entitled to our opinion(s).I feel a lot more confident with Farmer calling the shots than Lombardi. Have this gut feeling the odds of us drafting Johnny Football dropped considerably. I won't burn my season tickets if we do draft him, just cross my fingers and hope for the best.
-
I'm not bashing you. You know I respect you and value your opinions.
I just think you're being awfully close minded on Manziel because you don't like him as a person and are therefore clinging to things that are either inconsequential or fabricated.
His "happy feet" are the same happy feet that Manning is praised for, as Mike referenced previously. Manning, however, moves in a vertical line in the pocket, whereas Manziel moves laterally. Obviously, they're incomparable in their styles of play, but "happy feet" is not a knock. It is a welcome asset in a quarterback.
"The Good: Poised under pressure, looks off the safety and takes what the defense gives him. Possesses a terrific pump fake, drives his long passes down the field and smartly places his deep throws in front of the target, letting receivers run to the ball. Gets outside the pocket, makes plays on the move and loses nothing on his throws displaying zip on the short passes or driving the deep tosses while on the run. In complete control of the offense in every sense of the word and a true leader that makes good decisions and does not put his team in a bad spot.
The Bad: Needs to improve his footwork, release and does not throw the tightest spirals.
The Skinny: A young signal caller with a tremendous amount of upside potential as he matures both physically and mentally. Great prospect for the future."
Would you say that's an apt scouting report for JF?
Maybe the truth is somewhere between that and the other scouting report bashing him as a third round developmental prospect. I'm sure you realize a bunch of respected scouts think he also has a tremendous downside. And really TC, skipping the attitude and just looking at the on field stuff, I can't see this guy as a top 5, much less #1 overall as Kiper has him. We're all entitled to our opinion(s).I feel a lot more confident with Farmer calling the shots than Lombardi. Have this gut feeling the odds of us drafting Johnny Football dropped considerably. I won't burn my season tickets if we do draft him, just cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Maybe the truth is somewhere between that and the other scouting report bashing him as a third round developmental prospect. I'm sure you realize a bunch of respected scouts think he also has a tremendous downside. And really TC, skipping the attitude and just looking at the on field stuff, I can't see this guy as a top 5, much less #1 overall as Kiper has him. We're all entitled to our opinion(s).I feel a lot more confident with Farmer calling the shots than Lombardi. Have this gut feeling the odds of us drafting Johnny Football dropped considerably. I won't burn my season tickets if we do draft him, just cross my fingers and hope for the best.
The problem with the scouting report I just posted...
It was Ben Roethlisberger's from 2004.
I agree, he has downside. Then again, so does everyone. Literally anyone and everyone can bust. But you miss 100% of the shots you never take.
His floor is just as low as Bortles' or Bridgewater's or any other prospect, but I believe his ceiling to be the the highest.
-
@walterwhite said:
No you won't,
you'll sit there and take it to your face.
You don't like Manziel because he'll steal your girl and do the money sign in your face, pussy.
man you sound more and more like a 14 year old with a man crush. PoG meet walterwhite. mr.white meet mr. PoG.
manziel will steal my girl.
please someone do.
-
I'm not bashing you. You know I respect you and value your opinions.Ditto- You're having more fun bashing me than explaining why Manziel is such a great pick for the Browns @ #4.
It's combine week let's see what Mighty Manziel really weighs in at. Of course he's not going to throw- will he dare to step on a scale?
I just think you're being awfully close minded on Manziel because you don't like him as a person and are therefore clinging to things that are either inconsequential or fabricated.
His "happy feet" are the same happy feet that Manning is praised for, as Mike referenced previously. Manning, however, moves in a vertical line in the pocket, whereas Manziel moves laterally. Obviously, they're incomparable in their styles of play, but "happy feet" is not a knock. It is a welcome asset in a quarterback.
"The Good: Poised under pressure, looks off the safety and takes what the defense gives him. Possesses a terrific pump fake, drives his long passes down the field and smartly places his deep throws in front of the target, letting receivers run to the ball. Gets outside the pocket, makes plays on the move and loses nothing on his throws displaying zip on the short passes or driving the deep tosses while on the run. In complete control of the offense in every sense of the word and a true leader that makes good decisions and does not put his team in a bad spot.
The Bad: Needs to improve his footwork, release and does not throw the tightest spirals.
The Skinny: A young signal caller with a tremendous amount of upside potential as he matures both physically and mentally. Great prospect for the future."
Would you say that's an apt scouting report for JF?
The Skinny: A young signal caller with a tremendous amount of upside potential as he matures both physically and mentally. Great prospect for the future."
well we know he's not going to grow any taller. only thing on him that will get any bigger at this point is him growing a big beer gut to go along with his ever-growing ego.
if he falls to us fine, if farmer and pettine want to go in that direction i will support the decision. but if clowney or maybe even watkins is there it will be very INTERESTING to see what they do. but i'd sure as hell not trade anything to move up for any of these guys unless farmer has a chubby for clowney.
promoting farmer and hiring a DC as a head coach has seriously deflated the chances of doing anything stupid with one of these QBs who could all be busts.
-
-
He fades away in his passes so he doesn't get hit! my god! He does it sometimes when he doesn't have to because its part of his mechanics.on some throws
This is good to me.farve did this a lot.just about all the nfl qbs have will almost ball up or run after they throw it...kinda keeps em safer
If he stood in there and threw and took hits then all you naybobs would say "look how many hits he takes!" hell yall already say that
-
Pettine has seen an overhyped QB up close and personal. A couple of years of moderate success and a complete crash and burn after a few NFL big boy hits. I expect Pettine to go for a fearless QB unlike Mark Sanchez. Johnny Manziel is like Sanchez. And Kyle has seen what happens when a talented QB is throw to the wolves before he learns about the big boy hits.
If they do go for Manziel I expect a year or two of bulking him up and testing his metal before he sees real playing time.
-
what you mean? fearless?Hes like mark s in what way? attitude? throwing style? I don't understand
-
@Jeff
Fearless in terms of 'not seeming to be scared of being hit'.
Aside from size and skills, which are similar...(You Tube post attempt).
---I'm still trying to figure out how to use the posting options. I've tried to post the YouTube vid of "Mark Sanchez flinched" and can't even paste the URL. If you go to YouTube and search "Mark Sanchez flinched" you will see what I mean.
-
I have an IMAC. I just copy the url, paste in the box and hit post.
-
@Jeff
Fearless in terms of 'not seeming to be scared of being hit'.
Aside from size and skills, which are similar...(You Tube post attempt).
---I'm still trying to figure out how to use the posting options. I've tried to post the YouTube vid of "Mark Sanchez flinched" and can't even paste the URL. If you go to YouTube and search "Mark Sanchez flinched" you will see what I mean.
@Jeff
Fearless in terms of 'not seeming to be scared of being hit'.
Aside from size and skills, which are similar...(You Tube post attempt).
---I'm still trying to figure out how to use the posting options. I've tried to post the YouTube vid of "Mark Sanchez flinched" and can't even paste the URL. If you go to YouTube and search "Mark Sanchez flinched" you will see what I mean.
-
Thx Die Hard. My puter isn't a MAC and I also have a glitch that prevents me from editing my profile. I've reported it. I'll just keep going with what I get. Hopefully over time things will get 'normal'.
-
Well we better not line Johney up at wide out.....lol
-
@walterwhite said:
After the combine, private work outs, and pro day, Manziel will go 1st overall to The Texans.
They are openly driving the bus, and were all in the back.
Unless you want to believe they are in the market to trade the pick. Not getting an RGIII haul this year, and certainly not from the Browns.
-
An example of Manziel getting pressured and having to play in bad weather (Cleveland has that in spades).
Yep he got pressured quite a bit, alot of missed assignments from the o-line.
Weather didn't look to bad, might of been a little cold.
what was your critique of Manziel
Yep he got pressured quite a bit, alot of missed assignments from the o-line.
Weather didn't look to bad, might of been a little cold.
what was your critique of Manziel
The announcers regularly said through the game that the QBs were having issues in that weather. Two SEC QBs having issues due to what looked like just some rain. How will he hack it in Cleveland in weather much worse than that?
Secondly, did he see how often he took off and lobbed passes up for grabs to Evans? SEC defenses had a down year and LSU made Manziel just look like a pretty pedestrian QB.
I will say again, that he very well could end up being a pretty good NFL QB. I just don't get the love heaped on the guy. He has the highest potential for boom or bust amongst the group of QBs.
-
@walterwhite said:
After the combine, private work outs, and pro day, Manziel will go 1st overall to The Texans.
They are openly driving the bus, and were all in the back.
Bill O'Brien is not likely going to take a QB like Manziel. But he will certainly let all the other teams who want Manziel to believe that. Hoping someone bites and sends picks their way.
-
Maybe the truth is somewhere between that and the other scouting report bashing him as a third round developmental prospect. I'm sure you realize a bunch of respected scouts think he also has a tremendous downside. And really TC, skipping the attitude and just looking at the on field stuff, I can't see this guy as a top 5, much less #1 overall as Kiper has him. We're all entitled to our opinion(s).I feel a lot more confident with Farmer calling the shots than Lombardi. Have this gut feeling the odds of us drafting Johnny Football dropped considerably. I won't burn my season tickets if we do draft him, just cross my fingers and hope for the best.
The problem with the scouting report I just posted...
It was Ben Roethlisberger's from 2004.
I agree, he has downside. Then again, so does everyone. Literally anyone and everyone can bust. But you miss 100% of the shots you never take.
His floor is just as low as Bortles' or Bridgewater's or any other prospect, but I believe his ceiling to be the the highest.
The problem with the scouting report I just posted...
It was Ben Roethlisberger's from 2004.
I agree, he has downside. Then again, so does everyone. Literally anyone and everyone can bust. But you miss 100% of the shots you never take.
His floor is just as low as Bortles' or Bridgewater's or any other prospect, but I believe his ceiling to be the the highest.
Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.
-
The problem with the scouting report I just posted...
It was Ben Roethlisberger's from 2004.
I agree, he has downside. Then again, so does everyone. Literally anyone and everyone can bust. But you miss 100% of the shots you never take.
His floor is just as low as Bortles' or Bridgewater's or any other prospect, but I believe his ceiling to be the the highest.
Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.
Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.
Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.
You're buying into the common misconception that, because Manziel isn't 6'5, he has less-than-average arm strength, which is untrue.
Once again, you're basing your comparison purely based off of size alone. He's not as big as Ben, therefore he's not as good. That is the problem I have.
Pros- His arm strength is above average (contrary to your belief), his mobility is above average, he makes ridiculous plays, he's proven to be an on-field leader, and he played in a big-time conference against big-time defenses and posted great numbers against said defenses.
Cons- He's smaller than ideal, he's proven to be immature off the field, he can make questionable decisions, his footwork can be improved, and he was bailed out by Evans on more than one occasion.
From a scouting standpoint, that's what needs to be considered. That's it.
-
Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.
Tricky, but HUGE difference- pun intended- is Ben makes Football look like a pipsqueak. Also I was all-in on Rothlisberger- he has a much stronger arm than Manziel. Seeing him complete an insane % of passes when he was at Miami Ohio playing in a damn near hurricane told me all I needed to know about his arm strength.
You're buying into the common misconception that, because Manziel isn't 6'5, he has less-than-average arm strength, which is untrue.
Once again, you're basing your comparison purely based off of size alone. He's not as big as Ben, therefore he's not as good. That is the problem I have.
Pros- His arm strength is above average (contrary to your belief), his mobility is above average, he makes ridiculous plays, he's proven to be an on-field leader, and he played in a big-time conference against big-time defenses and posted great numbers against said defenses.
Cons- He's smaller than ideal, he's proven to be immature off the field, he can make questionable decisions, his footwork can be improved, and he was bailed out by Evans on more than one occasion.
From a scouting standpoint, that's what needs to be considered. That's it.
You're buying into the common misconception that, because Manziel isn't 6'5, he has less-than-average arm strength, which is untrue.
Once again, you're basing your comparison purely based off of size alone. He's not as big as Ben, therefore he's not as good. That is the problem I have.
Pros- His arm strength is above average (contrary to your belief), his mobility is above average, he makes ridiculous plays, he's proven to be an on-field leader, and he played in a big-time conference against big-time defenses and posted great numbers against said defenses.
Cons- He's smaller than ideal, he's proven to be immature off the field, he can make questionable decisions, his footwork can be improved, and he was bailed out by Evans on more than one occasion.
From a scouting standpoint, that's what needs to be considered. That's it.
Not being a Manziel fan I still have to say thats right on the money. He actually had more passes over 20 yds and greater accuracy than Bridgewater , Bortles and Carr I believe. The data was posted on Rotoworld.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login