Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • the shart.

  • This is an article from last year I thought is an interesting read on how difficult it is for NFL teams to get a franchise quarterback although Browns fans have first hand experience in knowing about that:

    NFL Scouts Have No Clue How to Predict the Next Great Quarterback

    Research indicates that the factors that make college football players early-round draft picks are useless at predicting success in the NFL.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/nfl-scouts-have-no-clue-how-to-predict-the-next-great-quarterback/361936/

  • But there are some guys you just know.....

    Manziel isn't one of them. It's anyone's guess right now if he'll be a starter in this league.

  • But there are some guys you just know.....

    Manziel isn't one of them. It's anyone's guess right now if he'll be a starter in this league.

    @masterdog said:

    But there are some guys you just know.....

    Manziel isn't one of them. It's anyone's guess right now if he'll be a starter in this league.

    But he loves your girlfriend, a lot.

  • But there are some guys you just know.....

    Manziel isn't one of them. It's anyone's guess right now if he'll be a starter in this league.

    @masterdog said:

    But there are some guys you just know.....

    Manziel isn't one of them. It's anyone's guess right now if he'll be a starter in this league.

    I haven't given up on Manziel. I hold him to personal responsibility and accountability as to some of the problems he had last season as he himself admitted he did not give his best effort. But other factors such as the huge hype that he realistically could never live up to were out of his control. I see many things different this season with JM completing rehab, having a veteran NFL QB who will go out of his way to mentor him, a new OC who I believe will push Manziel to be his best, less high expectations for him to try and live up to, and he seems to be gaining back the trust and confidence of his teammates. I am very interested to see how Manziel does in pre-season. I am pulling for him.

  • @masterdog said:

    But there are some guys you just know.....

    Manziel isn't one of them. It's anyone's guess right now if he'll be a starter in this league.

    I haven't given up on Manziel. I hold him to personal responsibility and accountability as to some of the problems he had last season as he himself admitted he did not give his best effort. But other factors such as the huge hype that he realistically could never live up to were out of his control. I see many things different this season with JM completing rehab, having a veteran NFL QB who will go out of his way to mentor him, a new OC who I believe will push Manziel to be his best, less high expectations for him to try and live up to, and he seems to be gaining back the trust and confidence of his teammates. I am very interested to see how Manziel does in pre-season. I am pulling for him.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    I am very interested to see how Manziel does in pre-season. I am pulling for him.

    With pre-season defenses being comparable to plain yogurt (not even vanilla), I would certainly hope he is able to perform well.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    I am very interested to see how Manziel does in pre-season. I am pulling for him.

    With pre-season defenses being comparable to plain yogurt (not even vanilla), I would certainly hope he is able to perform well.

    @d-bone said:

    With pre-season defenses being comparable to plain yogurt (not even vanilla), I would certainly hope he is able to perform well.

    me too. Looking forward to seeing both QB's play(plus a host of others).....will say that JM didnt play great last PS, but looked better then, than he did 15 weeks later......

  • @d-bone said:

    With pre-season defenses being comparable to plain yogurt (not even vanilla), I would certainly hope he is able to perform well.

    me too. Looking forward to seeing both QB's play(plus a host of others).....will say that JM didnt play great last PS, but looked better then, than he did 15 weeks later......

    @mudfly said:

    me too. Looking forward to seeing both QB's play(plus a host of others).....will say that JM didnt play great last PS, but looked better then, than he did 15 weeks later......

    Good points Mud. This year's environment will be far less stressful; and I think our staff has done a great job of seeing that through in so many ways. Let's just say I see the right blend of motivating him and yet giving him a feeling of "I have nothing to lose." He's already set for life so it's just a question of does he step into a fate where he becomes along term starter we cannot do without? Or, do we find ourselves more and more pleasantly surprised with what we have in Connor Shaw if/when Manziel's game doesn't translate?

    IMO, our ability to succeed in the mid-later rounds of the draft and on into the undrafted realms makes our first round failures much less problematic to our overall outcome moving forward. Back when we went 11-5 and won a playoff game - we were working around first round draft picks like Craig Powell, Touchdown-free Tommy Vardell and a Derrick Alexander that showed up out of shape enough to land in BB's dog house. The good news was we looked to some FA vets like Pepper Johnson, Carl Banks, Bob Dahl, Mark Bavaro while we blended in some undrafted FAs like Orlando Brown, who became a BIG reason we could run the ball through the teeth of fronts like Dallas and Philly. Speaking of undrafted, Tony (T-Bone) Jones was our other tackle that played extremely well. I see a lot of similarities in the way this team is being built.

  • This is an article from last year I thought is an interesting read on how difficult it is for NFL teams to get a franchise quarterback although Browns fans have first hand experience in knowing about that:

    NFL Scouts Have No Clue How to Predict the Next Great Quarterback

    Research indicates that the factors that make college football players early-round draft picks are useless at predicting success in the NFL.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/nfl-scouts-have-no-clue-how-to-predict-the-next-great-quarterback/361936/

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    This is an article from last year I thought is an interesting read on how difficult it is for NFL teams to get a franchise quarterback although Browns fans have first hand experience in knowing about that:

    NFL Scouts Have No Clue How to Predict the Next Great Quarterback

    Research indicates that the factors that make college football players early-round draft picks are useless at predicting success in the NFL.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/nfl-scouts-have-no-clue-how-to-predict-the-next-great-quarterback/361936/

    Good stuff - thanks!

  • This is an article from last year I thought is an interesting read on how difficult it is for NFL teams to get a franchise quarterback although Browns fans have first hand experience in knowing about that:

    NFL Scouts Have No Clue How to Predict the Next Great Quarterback

    Research indicates that the factors that make college football players early-round draft picks are useless at predicting success in the NFL.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/nfl-scouts-have-no-clue-how-to-predict-the-next-great-quarterback/361936/

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    This is an article from last year I thought is an interesting read on how difficult it is for NFL teams to get a franchise quarterback although Browns fans have first hand experience in knowing about that:

    NFL Scouts Have No Clue How to Predict the Next Great Quarterback

    Research indicates that the factors that make college football players early-round draft picks are useless at predicting success in the NFL.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/nfl-scouts-have-no-clue-how-to-predict-the-next-great-quarterback/361936/

    Name 3 Pro style QB offenses in college, Am Sold. So done with small spread option QB's not named Cam. Cordell Jones by homerism?

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    This is an article from last year I thought is an interesting read on how difficult it is for NFL teams to get a franchise quarterback although Browns fans have first hand experience in knowing about that:

    NFL Scouts Have No Clue How to Predict the Next Great Quarterback

    Research indicates that the factors that make college football players early-round draft picks are useless at predicting success in the NFL.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/nfl-scouts-have-no-clue-how-to-predict-the-next-great-quarterback/361936/

    Name 3 Pro style QB offenses in college, Am Sold. So done with small spread option QB's not named Cam. Cordell Jones by homerism?

    @gumby73 said:

    Name 3 Pro style QB offenses in college, Am Sold. So done with small spread option QB's not named Cam. Cordell Jones by homerism?

    if he's not married to a kardashian and can spell the word dog by then, maybe.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    This is an article from last year I thought is an interesting read on how difficult it is for NFL teams to get a franchise quarterback although Browns fans have first hand experience in knowing about that:

    NFL Scouts Have No Clue How to Predict the Next Great Quarterback

    Research indicates that the factors that make college football players early-round draft picks are useless at predicting success in the NFL.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/nfl-scouts-have-no-clue-how-to-predict-the-next-great-quarterback/361936/

    Name 3 Pro style QB offenses in college, Am Sold. So done with small spread option QB's not named Cam. Cordell Jones by homerism?

    @gumby73 said:

    Name 3 Pro style QB offenses in college, Am Sold. So done with small spread option QB's not named Cam. Cordell Jones by homerism?

    The key thing to remember about Manziel was he wasn't used like RG3 in college. A lot of his success came from plays designed to pass out of a pocket - not too much different than Fran Tarkenton. IMO, the worst thing you can do with either guy is race him over to 1 edge of formation immediately after the snap; and close down your passing tree into 1 small third of the field. Nick Saban would have given Kevin Sumlin candy and flowers if they eliminated the guessing game of which side of the pocket Manziel could escape from and threw their passing game into a phone both. Come to think of it, the impressive pass rushes of Dallas and the LA Rams would have loved it if Minnesota did that with Tarkenton.

    I enjoy your football posts, intellect and perspectives so I'm not telling you how to think as much as I'm cautioning to try evaluate every QB rather than their system. There was a time when all of the Tedford QBs/Tedford Wives were a no-no until Aaron Rodgers broke the trend that Trent Dilfer seemed incapable of. That said, I wonder how much the system stereotype contributed to why he fell all the way to 23rd or 24th overall with the skill set he sports every week. Before that, BYU had a lot of guys like Marc Wilson, Ty Detmer and Robbie Boscoe that trained people to think that system was incapable of turning out someone like Steve Young or Jim McMahon. What I'm getting at here is the teams that knew what they were looking for in a QB had to have the ability to see more than just a system in order to land the right guys or exceptions to the system rule.

    As for the spread offenses, Donovan McNabb came out of a Veer Option at SU where his first OC was our current Assistant Line Coach George DeLeone. Of all the QBs in that 99 draft class, he was the least overwhelmed, most successful and had the longest career. What paved the way for Andy Reid to be intrigued with him was Brett Favre came out of a very similar offense at So Miss after rushing for over 3500 yards in high school for his father. Not everyone knew what was going to come of Jerry Glanville's 2nd round draft pick. I don't what style of offense Alcorn State had for Steve McNair who piled up a ton of rushing yards; but he impressed me as a Pro QB too. The spread offense worries go all the way back to Roger Staubach with someone as football brilliant as Tom Landry wondering if it would ever translate before he finally realized his QB was so special - he had no choice. I've been hearing this type of QB is going to extinct in the NFL since the 70s. Then we got to the 80s, 90s, new millenium, and beyond 2010.

  • Frugel, In 1 sentence " The worst thing you can do with any QB is race him over to one edge of formation immediately after the snap; and close down your passing tree into 1 small third of the field". Damn we see the same game and that's a 1/4 plus of fixing Johnny closer to a Fran or R. Wilson at their size. Hope to see that game plan or habit gone out of his game.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Disagree. Manziel's rookie year was a wash due to off the field issues. This means that year two for him should be his learning year if he wants to become the starting QB. Let him learn under McCown and revisit it next year. If Manziel can somehow prove himself to be a better QB in training camp than McCown then you start him. Otherwise, go with the teacher and let the student have a year to learn.

  • I wonder if the author wrote the same thing last year and simply added that our uniform redesign is another reason to start JM?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Disagree, and correct me if I am wrong, but there is no QB controversy this year, it's McCown's team.

    Manziel's rookie year set him back and now he's an apprentice to a guy who has been handpicked to be the starter.

    Hopefully Manziel has a nice preseason, separates himself from Thad and Shaw, and is competent enough to take over if McCown gets injured.

    Zombo

  • @texasag1969 said:

    yep....completely disagree.....

    Honestly...and without being a hater....Im wondering if he's even good enough to be #2(without the need to carry a third as security).....

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I clicked on the link, scrolled down a bit, and my eyes were immediately drawn to "Johnny Manziel is the Browns' best hope". I was instantly overcome by grief and sadness, which quickly turned into nausea.

    So yea, it's fair to say I disagree.

  • Safe to say that you had a "gut reaction"?