Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.4k 1
  • @unsympathetic said:

    Washington: RG3

    StL: Cornerback Janoris Jenkins, defensive tackle Michael Brockers, running back Zac Stacy, wide receiver Stedman Bailey, offensive tackle Greg Robinson and linebacker Alec Ogletree

    Yeah, I'd say StLouis won that trade.

    [this includes StL trading the 2013 first acquired in this trade to ATL on draft day in 2013 for 3 picks. ATL moved up for Trufant.]

    There's no doubt that will go down as one of the worst draft day trades in history. Maybe only the Hershel Walker trade tops it.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    There's no doubt that will go down as one of the worst draft day trades in history. Maybe only the Hershel Walker trade tops it.

    praise god it wasnt us.......cause it almost was.......

    whew!!!

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Washington: RG3

    StL: Cornerback Janoris Jenkins, defensive tackle Michael Brockers, running back Zac Stacy, wide receiver Stedman Bailey, offensive tackle Greg Robinson and linebacker Alec Ogletree

    Yeah, I'd say StLouis won that trade.

    [this includes StL trading the 2013 first acquired in this trade to ATL on draft day in 2013 for 3 picks. ATL moved up for Trufant.]

    There's no doubt that will go down as one of the worst draft day trades in history. Maybe only the Hershel Walker trade tops it.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
  • @flugel said:

    Really?

    Yes, really... your last couple responses have been as if I was baiting you... I'm not. My reply that prompted the above was after a reread of your post. I do not know how else to interpret this part:

    @flugel said:

    Furthermore, many of the offensive guys trying to make this roster from the 3rd and 4th strings include many undrafted rookies. They not only had to know our playbook but they also had to recognize the defense and adjust appropriately... WRs also have to know how to adjust their routes accordingly and be on the same page with their 22 year old QB.

    To me, this looked better than it did last year with Manziel in there.

    And, again, I still agree with last line.

    However, it would surprise me if option routes were being run by Wynn and Jennings. I can't recall seeing evidence of option routes at all this pre-season, i.e., times when the ball is thrown to an empty area followed by the WR and QB staring at each other. I can recall sight adjustments, e.g., a quick slant to Benji, a couple bubble screens to Hawk, but they are 1's... and those are sight adjustments.

    Am I forgetting some evidence?

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @tour2ma said:

    Yes, really... your last couple responses have been as if I was baiting you... I'm not. My reply that prompted the above was after a reread of your post. I do not know how else to interpret this part:

    And, again, I still agree with last line.

    However, it would surprise me if option routes were being run by Wynn and Jennings. I can't recall seeing evidence of option routes at all this pre-season, i.e., times when the ball is thrown to an empty area followed by the WR and QB staring at each other. I can recall sight adjustments, e.g., a quick slant to Benji, a couple bubble screens to Hawk, but they are 1's... and those are sight adjustments.

    Am I forgetting some evidence?

    Well, you have to ask yourself how often this preseason, or any preseason for that matter, we had an announcer (Gruden) saying the opponent is now blitzing us on virtually every play at 1 point. I don't ever like to use "option routes" when I'm talking about inexperienced players adjusting to the blitz. I prefer blitz adjustment (or as you said sight adjustment) anticipating the coverage leverage (inside vrs outside) and re-routing in accordance. Quick slants or out routes can work just fine. You can also audible to a 7 or 9 route or whatever you have in your passing route tree that'll work. Veterans are the type of guys that can sit down in a vacated zone or find a tendency on film which way a DC likes to rotate/roll his coverages when blitzing so he can backdoor it. For example, the first time I ever noticed Benjamin could sit down in a vacated zone vrs a zone blitz was when we played Horton's D in Nashville. That was an example of an option route and it required experience beyond his 1st or 2nd season. I suppose it can be done by wide eyed rookies but not as early as the 2nd preseason game. I don't even know if they game plan tendencies or watch film of opponents in preseason.

    Manziel was getting the ball out of his hands quickly and he seemed to be on the same page with his receivers and TE late in the game. The pass protection wasn't bad at times either. Maybe you're right and there wasn't any blitz adjustments late. Either way, I was very impressed with the offensive unit we watched the last 2-3 times we had the ball. I say that considering how much could have gone wrong with all the inexperience and lack of time together for any chemistry.

    Now why would I want to point all this out? To tell people that playing QB for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th units isn't as easy as some were making it sound. Yes, there was no Mario Williams to worry about but it wasn't like we had Thomas, Mack, Bitonio protecting the QB either while there's a lot that can go wrong. All I wanted to do was point out that despite how much could go wrong - I was pleasantly surprised at how exciting I found that last quarter when we had the ball.

  • @hoorta said:

    There's no doubt that will go down as one of the worst draft day trades in history. Maybe only the Hershel Walker trade tops it.

    praise god it wasnt us.......cause it almost was.......

    whew!!!

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    praise god it wasnt us.......cause it almost was.......

    whew!!!

    We would have had RG3 instead of Tbitch Weeds Mingo and Gordon.
  • @mudfly said:

    praise god it wasnt us.......cause it almost was.......

    whew!!!

    We would have had RG3 instead of Tbitch Weeds Mingo and Gordon.
    U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by

    @comeonman said:

    We would have had RG3 instead of Tbitch Weeds Mingo and Gordon.

    Mingo is still a decent LB [we'll see about the pass rush this year] and Gordon has a chance to be great next year.. as for RG3, he'll lose the job midseason - or whenever his vag starts hurting, whichever comes first.

  • @mudfly said:

    praise god it wasnt us.......cause it almost was.......

    whew!!!

    We would have had RG3 instead of Tbitch Weeds Mingo and Gordon.
    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    @comeonman said:

    We would have had RG3 instead of Tbitch Weeds Mingo and Gordon.

    My math is a little different....based upon what Wash gave......

    2012 1st & 2nd :

    T. Richardson...(who was traded for JFF)

    M. Schwartz

    2013 1st:

    Mingo

    2014 1st:

    Shelton

  • @comeonman said:

    We would have had RG3 instead of Tbitch Weeds Mingo and Gordon.

    My math is a little different....based upon what Wash gave......

    2012 1st & 2nd :

    T. Richardson...(who was traded for JFF)

    M. Schwartz

    2013 1st:

    Mingo

    2014 1st:

    Shelton

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    My math is a little different....based upon what Wash gave......

    2012 1st & 2nd :

    T. Richardson...(who was traded for JFF)

    M. Schwartz

    2013 1st:

    Mingo

    2014 1st:

    Shelton

    The offer we made was for both our 1st rounders in 2012, so instead of Shelton, add Weeden.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Yes, really... your last couple responses have been as if I was baiting you... I'm not. My reply that prompted the above was after a reread of your post. I do not know how else to interpret this part:

    And, again, I still agree with last line.

    However, it would surprise me if option routes were being run by Wynn and Jennings. I can't recall seeing evidence of option routes at all this pre-season, i.e., times when the ball is thrown to an empty area followed by the WR and QB staring at each other. I can recall sight adjustments, e.g., a quick slant to Benji, a couple bubble screens to Hawk, but they are 1's... and those are sight adjustments.

    Am I forgetting some evidence?

    Well, you have to ask yourself how often this preseason, or any preseason for that matter, we had an announcer (Gruden) saying the opponent is now blitzing us on virtually every play at 1 point. I don't ever like to use "option routes" when I'm talking about inexperienced players adjusting to the blitz. I prefer blitz adjustment (or as you said sight adjustment) anticipating the coverage leverage (inside vrs outside) and re-routing in accordance. Quick slants or out routes can work just fine. You can also audible to a 7 or 9 route or whatever you have in your passing route tree that'll work. Veterans are the type of guys that can sit down in a vacated zone or find a tendency on film which way a DC likes to rotate/roll his coverages when blitzing so he can backdoor it. For example, the first time I ever noticed Benjamin could sit down in a vacated zone vrs a zone blitz was when we played Horton's D in Nashville. That was an example of an option route and it required experience beyond his 1st or 2nd season. I suppose it can be done by wide eyed rookies but not as early as the 2nd preseason game. I don't even know if they game plan tendencies or watch film of opponents in preseason.

    Manziel was getting the ball out of his hands quickly and he seemed to be on the same page with his receivers and TE late in the game. The pass protection wasn't bad at times either. Maybe you're right and there wasn't any blitz adjustments late. Either way, I was very impressed with the offensive unit we watched the last 2-3 times we had the ball. I say that considering how much could have gone wrong with all the inexperience and lack of time together for any chemistry.

    Now why would I want to point all this out? To tell people that playing QB for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th units isn't as easy as some were making it sound. Yes, there was no Mario Williams to worry about but it wasn't like we had Thomas, Mack, Bitonio protecting the QB either while there's a lot that can go wrong. All I wanted to do was point out that despite how much could go wrong - I was pleasantly surprised at how exciting I found that last quarter when we had the ball.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    I don't ever like to use "option routes" when I'm talking about inexperienced players adjusting to the blitz. I prefer blitz adjustment (or as you said sight adjustment) anticipating the coverage leverage (inside vrs outside) and re-routing in accordance.

    Now why would I want to point all this out? To tell people that playing QB for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th units isn't as easy as some were making it sound.

    For a low scoring game it was exciting. I was only attempting to say that QB'ing vs. 2's and lower is easier.... not easy.

    We are at least in the same chapter, if not on the same page. I think some of the gap is terminology. I don't use "option route" and "sight adjustment" interchangeably.

    When I say "option routes" I am talking about the QB and WR(s) reading the coverage scheme independently and coming to the same conclusion, e.g., single high Safety vs. Cover 2, etc., and the WR changing the top of his route accordingly. Your example of Benji sitting in a zone is perfect. This is what I did not see evidence of late vs. BUF.

    When I say "sight adjustments" I'm talking about WRs who most likely are alerted to a blitz by their QB and therefore scrap their planned route in favor of one that makes them available quickly. In other words your "blitz adjustment". Plenty of evidence of this vs. BUF.

  • @comeonman said:

    We would have had RG3 instead of Tbitch Weeds Mingo and Gordon.

    Mingo is still a decent LB [we'll see about the pass rush this year] and Gordon has a chance to be great next year.. as for RG3, he'll lose the job midseason - or whenever his vag starts hurting, whichever comes first.

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by Comeonman

    @unsympathetic said:

    Mingo is still a decent LB [we'll see about the pass rush this year] and Gordon has a chance to be great next year.. as for RG3, he'll lose the job midseason - or whenever his vag starts hurting, whichever comes first.

    Definitely. I guess I should have clarified in no way would I have been happy with the trade
  • @comeonman said:

    We would have had RG3 instead of Tbitch Weeds Mingo and Gordon.

    My math is a little different....based upon what Wash gave......

    2012 1st & 2nd :

    T. Richardson...(who was traded for JFF)

    M. Schwartz

    2013 1st:

    Mingo

    2014 1st:

    Shelton

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    My math is a little different....based upon what Wash gave......

    2012 1st & 2nd :

    T. Richardson...(who was traded for JFF)

    M. Schwartz

    2013 1st:

    Mingo

    2014 1st:

    Shelton Gilbert

    Whoops- hate to disagree- but Shelton was our 2015 pick. We wouldn't have gotten Manziel either. But it's conjecture- who knows who the Rams might have picked? For the record- those Rams first round picks went DE, WR, WR. LOL, they may well have drafted Gordon. πŸ™‚

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    A friendly note from the Night Watchman Moderator-

    This thread has gotten entirely too long & sort of off topic. So get your final shots in the next few hours, because I'm locking the thread at midnight. πŸ™‚

  • A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by

    Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

    Just kidding. Nuke this shit.

  • ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by

    Come on man! 100 pages of Manziel!

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    talkin rg111....

    really? maybe in the middle of the summer,,,, but -dang-

    (okay, now hurry up and close it...)

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone

    I hope Johnny's bow-bow feels better

    Whew, got that in before the lock 😎

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by

    #Browns Pettine said Manziel probably won't play Saturday in Tampa. They might have to sign another quarterback.

    PatMcManamon ‏@PatMcManamon 1m1 minute ago
    PatMcManamon@PatMcManamon
    #Browns sent Johnny Manziel for MRI on elbow. Mike Pettine says no structural issue, but very unlikely Manziel will play Saturday vs. Bucs.

    #Browns sent Johnny Manziel for MRI on elbow. Mike Pettine says no structural issue, but very unlikely Manziel will play Saturday vs. Bucs.

  • I hope Johnny's bow-bow feels better

    Whew, got that in before the lock 😎

    LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    I hope Johnny's bow-bow feels better

    Whew, got that in before the lock 😎

    Your negativity will only make his elbow worse.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    And ... we have our new Manziel thread.

    I'll close the other one. Let's see if we can hit 50 pages on this baby.

    Zombo

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    Breaking news: Manziel probably won't play.

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by

    PatMcManamon ‏@PatMcManamon 3m

    PatMcManamon@PatMcManamon
    Pettine: Manziel has managed this in past. Probably could have played were this regular season. Team not alarmed or worried it’s long-term.
    3 minutes ago
    PatMcManamon@PatMcManamon
    Pettine: Manziel has managed this in past. Probably could have played were this regular season. Team not alarmed or worried it’s long-term.

    Pettine: Manziel has managed this in past. Probably could have played were this regular season. Team not alarmed or worried it’s long-term.