Rocky Mountain National Park
-
I have been hiking this park since around 1974 on a yearly basis since either my parents and now my brother have had homes in Estes Park since that time. I lived in Greeley and Cheyenne for 8 years in the 70's & 80's and walked so many of it's trails my daughter gave me a gift of trail patches for my backpack, but just too damn many to sew on. I included this video to show you one of my favorite that starts near Bear Lake and is almost a 10 mile round trip starting around 9,000 ft. and goes up around 11,000. I always pack on a pair of lightweight snowshoes for this hike because even in July (I'm going there in about 3 weeks) there is unmelted snow between Mills Lake and Black Lake, a part of the trail with spectacular views. This will be the first year I have ever taken a lightweight portable one time use oxygen supplement along just in case. Since I usually spend the first week on daily hikes at lower level trails I have never needed that before, but I have to admit that I'm no spring chicken @ 71 so better safe than sorry. The last few years I've always carried aspirin to chew on in case I get any sudden chest pains.
This year I also plan a hike on the other side of the divide on a trail I've never been on to an old gold miners ghost town called Lulu City (even has a cemetery). This walks up the headwaters of the Colorado River. That is a less used trail and one more likely to see a lot of wildlife as in elk and maybe even a bear or two. I figured I better do that one now since I've always wanted to, but just never got around to it since it's about a two hour drive over the divide to get to the trailhead.
Here's a video of the Black Lake hike.
-
Been in the RMNP several times. Not hiked it like you have, but have been around Bear Lake and to most of the vistas you see from the roads. I did hike quite a way on the trail that follows the Colorado River to its source....and yes, there you can jump across the Colorado River.
-
Been in the RMNP several times. Not hiked it like you have, but have been around Bear Lake and to most of the vistas you see from the roads. I did hike quite a way on the trail that follows the Colorado River to its source....and yes, there you can jump across the Colorado River.
Been in the RMNP several times. Not hiked it like you have, but have been around Bear Lake and to most of the vistas you see from the roads. I did hike quite a way on the trail that follows the Colorado River to its source....and yes, there you can jump across the Colorado River.
Related to preservation for future humans is this land in Texas being left for us by a native of Ohio.........................Selah. Not surprisingly most of us here in central Texas are aware that the cedar tree is a water stealing blight and when it's removed wonderful things start to happen.
-

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login