While on that Subject
-
While on the subject of National Parks, I just got back yesterday from a near 2 week vacation. (a week in Hilton Head and some time in Alabama, Tenn, and NC). On this trip I did go to 4 National Park units I had not been to before. These are all fairly new ones, no more than 3 years old. Here are the ones I went to:

-
-
-
The Manhattan Project National Monument, Oak Ridge Tenn. unit:

FYI....this is where they produced the fissionable material for the bomb they dropped on Hiroshima. I was right here at this place.
-
And just FYI.....of the 417 National Park units, I have now been to 342 of them.
-
Been to Los Alamos in N.M. but never to the Trinity site there. It's only open to the public the first Sat. in April and Oct. every year.
-
Been to Los Alamos in N.M. but never to the Trinity site there. It's only open to the public the first Sat. in April and Oct. every year.
Been to Los Alamos in N.M. but never to the Trinity site there. It's only open to the public the first Sat. in April and Oct. every year.
I have been there. Stood right under the spot where that first bomb exploded. Interesting connection though: See this photo of the large casing at the parking lot, Jumbo, a large steel container originally intended to catch the plutonium from the bomb, if the test explosion failed. It was never used. Later, the ends were blown off with a conventional explosion. Standing in Jumbo is a popular photo opportunity.
This, I learned while there, was built at the B&W plant right here in Barberton, Ohio....only a few blocks from where I sit right now.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

