You Missed this, No?
-
It's a damn shame that the Browns training camp is right around the corner, and this riveting soccer talk will have to sadly be sacrificed.
A damn pity.
-
ell, it's not mainstream USA, so keep your head under a rock. Our sports (NFL) are the most wonderfullest in the entire world. Sorry if the rest of the world doesn't agree with you.Gip- different sports, different skill sets. You familiar with what the term "horizon job" means in yacht racing? That's exactly what would happen if 95% + of NFL offensive or defensive lines guys tried to take on elite soccer players in a a 5K (3.1 mile) race.Yup- wanna bet all the elite soccer strikers run a 4.4 or better? BTW, they have as good of moves as top NFL WRs.Sure, soccer players can run. But tell me what you think those preening pansies (my English cousins term for them) would do the first time they faced being blocked by an NFL OT.....or tackled by an NFL LB. If they could they would run from the stadium and keep running for more that 3.1 miles. Or, like football fast guys have to do, lets see how they would react if they had to jump up to catch a pass, and they had Ronnie Lott/Jack Tatum free safety there to split their guts in two. (or even a Jabril Peppers). Like you said...different skill sets.
-
It's a damn shame that the Browns training camp is right around the corner, and this riveting soccer talk will have to sadly be sacrificed.
A damn pity.
It's a damn shame that the Browns training camp is right around the corner, and this riveting soccer talk will have to sadly be sacrificed.
A damn pity.
Lets have the Columbus Crew take on the Cleveland Browns in a soccer match. I mean, OK, skill wise the soccer players would be better at that sport. But they would not likely come back onto the field after halftime....as the Browns would not care how many Red cards they got. OOPS, pardon my forearm shiver.
-
Like I said, sorry that I started a thread about football.
So....maybe we should talk about futbol...here you go:
The final matchup of the 2018 World Cup failed to deliver the same kind of numbers seen by 2014’s final.
According to Nielsen data, the game between Croatia and France drew 11.3 million viewers on Fox and another 500,000 on Fox Sports for a total of 11.8 million. The 2014 final pulled in 17.3 million viewers on ABC, meaning this year’s game was down 32% in viewership.
There were, of course, multiple factors working against Sunday’s final. Given the significant time difference between host country Russia and the United States, the game aired early on Sunday morning. France also took an early lead in the game, ultimately winning 4-2, which likely led many to tune out early. The U.S. men’s team also failed to qualify for this year’s World Cup, which also no doubt contributed to some in the States avoiding the tournament this time out. Those factors will be of little comfort to Fox, however, who reportedly shelled out over $400 million dollars in 2011 for the rights to broadcast the games both in 2018 and 2022.
So...it looks like I win our bet!! You said it would be over 18 million, I said no. So...there it is.
See you at the Jets game tailgate where I can collect!.
A nice semi-dry Reisling....or a Gewurztrameiner will do. Nothing over $20.
Any preseason NFL game, nationally televised will likely do better than that. (by the way...I did peek in on it a bit, not the whole time).
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/world-cup-final-us-ratings-1202875655/
I will find you a very nice Riesling or Gewurztraminer.
Watched a lot of the final. That kid Mbape is going to be something special.
-
ell, it's not mainstream USA, so keep your head under a rock. Our sports (NFL) are the most wonderfullest in the entire world. Sorry if the rest of the world doesn't agree with you.Gip- different sports, different skill sets. You familiar with what the term "horizon job" means in yacht racing? That's exactly what would happen if 95% + of NFL offensive or defensive lines guys tried to take on elite soccer players in a a 5K (3.1 mile) race.Yup- wanna bet all the elite soccer strikers run a 4.4 or better? BTW, they have as good of moves as top NFL WRs.Sure, soccer players can run. But tell me what you think those preening pansies (my English cousins term for them) would do the first time they faced being blocked by an NFL OT.....or tackled by an NFL LB. If they could they would run from the stadium and keep running for more that 3.1 miles. Or, like football fast guys have to do, lets see how they would react if they had to jump up to catch a pass, and they had Ronnie Lott/Jack Tatum free safety there to split their guts in two. (or even a Jabril Peppers). Like you said...different skill sets.Sure, soccer players can run. But tell me what you think those preening pansies (my English cousins term for them) would do the first time they faced being blocked by an NFL OT.....or tackled by an NFL LB. If they could they would run from the stadium and keep running for more that 3.1 miles. Or, like football fast guys have to do, lets see how they would react if they had to jump up to catch a pass, and they had Ronnie Lott/Jack Tatum free safety there to split their guts in two. (or even a Jabril Peppers). Like you said...different skill sets.
Not saying there's isn't acting in soccer- but some of those fouls are the real deal. No worse than a few years back when the NBA had to institute a rule against flopping- led by the head actor and flopper Bill Laimbeer.
Lets have the Columbus Crew take on the Cleveland Browns in a soccer match. I mean, OK, skill wise the soccer players would be better at that sport. But they would not likely come back onto the field after halftime....as the Browns would not care how many Red cards they got. OOPS, pardon my forearm shiver.
The Browns certainly would care how many red cards they got. Don't know if you're aware- you get red carded, you're not replaced. If they tried playing 6 on 11, they'd get killed. That would be rugby, not soccer. And as I've said many times- it wouldn't take MLS level guys to beat the hell out of an NFL team- it was done once. Chris Collinsworth's Bengals took on a Cincinnati club team, and were down 9-0 when they decided to quit.
Larry......if you had won....just out of curiosity, what kind of wine wouldl you have liked me to get you?
Oh, probably a Ravenswood zinfandel. Still have a soft spot for that winery, formerly owned by and now consulted by Joel Peterson- who started out as a Medical Technologist (like me) at St. Helena Hospital. When one of the Conglomerates waves $50 million at you to buy you out, sort of tough to refuse.
Other options would have been the Robert Mondavi bourbon barrel aged Cabernet and Chardonnay, tasty everyday stuff and retails around $12.
-
The Browns certainly would care how many red cards they got. Don't know if you're aware- you get red carded, you're not replaced. If they tried playing 6 on 11, they'd get killed. That would be rugby, not soccer. And as I've said many times- it wouldn't take MLS level guys to beat the hell out of an NFL team- it was done once. Chris Collinsworth's Bengals took on a Cincinnati club team, and were down 9-0 when they decided to quit.
It would not matter if they got red carded....as while you say that they can not replace players, 1 football player can cause 4-5 soccer players to become lights out.....as in stone cold out.
But...even if they wanted to play it straight up....and not brutalize them while playing soccer, the fact is, if soccer players want a match with football players, that is fine.....as long as they get a return match playing football....where preening pansies cannot hide.
Oh, probably a Ravenswood zinfandel. Still have a soft spot for that winery, formerly owned by and now consulted by Joel Peterson- who started out as a Medical Technologist (like me) at St. Helena Hospital. When one of the Conglomerates waves $50 million at you to buy you out, sort of tough to refuse.
Other options would have been the Robert Mondavi bourbon barrel aged Cabernet and Chardonnay, tasty everyday stuff and retails around $12.
I am going up to Ithaca to see my son next weekend. Of course that is in the Finger Lakes region. Do you have a particular Finger Lakes wine you like? Maybe a type, but not a specific winery...unless it is one I am somewhat familiar with. When we go there we usually frequent the following wineries: Lucas, Hosmer, Americana, Sheldrake, Toro Run, Buttonwood, 6 mile creek. These are all on the west side of Lake Cayuga. But I am thinking that we should go over to the east side of Seneca Lake and try the wineries there. I am thinking of picking you up one.....just as a gift. Any particular preference?
I do have a couple of bottles I brought back from the Napa Valley in April....but you ain't getting those!!
-
The Browns certainly would care how many red cards they got. Don't know if you're aware- you get red carded, you're not replaced. If they tried playing 6 on 11, they'd get killed. That would be rugby, not soccer. And as I've said many times- it wouldn't take MLS level guys to beat the hell out of an NFL team- it was done once. Chris Collinsworth's Bengals took on a Cincinnati club team, and were down 9-0 when they decided to quit.
It would not matter if they got red carded....as while you say that they can not replace players, 1 football player can cause 4-5 soccer players to become lights out.....as in stone cold out.
But...even if they wanted to play it straight up....and not brutalize them while playing soccer, the fact is, if soccer players want a match with football players, that is fine.....as long as they get a return match playing football....where preening pansies cannot hide.
Oh, probably a Ravenswood zinfandel. Still have a soft spot for that winery, formerly owned by and now consulted by Joel Peterson- who started out as a Medical Technologist (like me) at St. Helena Hospital. When one of the Conglomerates waves $50 million at you to buy you out, sort of tough to refuse.
Other options would have been the Robert Mondavi bourbon barrel aged Cabernet and Chardonnay, tasty everyday stuff and retails around $12.
I am going up to Ithaca to see my son next weekend. Of course that is in the Finger Lakes region. Do you have a particular Finger Lakes wine you like? Maybe a type, but not a specific winery...unless it is one I am somewhat familiar with. When we go there we usually frequent the following wineries: Lucas, Hosmer, Americana, Sheldrake, Toro Run, Buttonwood, 6 mile creek. These are all on the west side of Lake Cayuga. But I am thinking that we should go over to the east side of Seneca Lake and try the wineries there. I am thinking of picking you up one.....just as a gift. Any particular preference?
I do have a couple of bottles I brought back from the Napa Valley in April....but you ain't getting those!!
I am going up to Ithaca to see my son next weekend.
I am going to show this to my wife just to make her jealous. She loved everything about her Cornell undergrad days. I really don't see how since she remained buried in the library when not in class. You don't make magna cum laude there by being a party girl.?
BTW had I not hitch hiked from Texas to Cornell over thanksgiving week our senior year, she may have never said "Yes" to my proposal the next summer in Central Park, NYC.?
??
-
I am going up to Ithaca to see my son next weekend.
I am going to show this to my wife just to make her jealous. She loved everything about her Cornell undergrad days. I really don't see how since she remained buried in the library when not in class. You don't make magna cum laude there by being a party girl.?
BTW had I not hitch hiked from Texas to Cornell over thanksgiving week our senior year, she may have never said "Yes" to my proposal the next summer in Central Park, NYC.?
??
I am going to show this to my wife just to make her jealous. She loved everything about her Cornell undergrad days. I really don't see how since she remained buried in the library when not in class. You don't make magna cum laude there by being a party girl.?
BTW had I not hitch hiked from Texas to Cornell over thanksgiving week our senior year, she may have never said "Yes" to my proposal the next summer in Central Park, NYC.?
??
When is the last time the two of you were back? (And how did such a smart woman get hooked up with you?

-
I am going to show this to my wife just to make her jealous. She loved everything about her Cornell undergrad days. I really don't see how since she remained buried in the library when not in class. You don't make magna cum laude there by being a party girl.?
BTW had I not hitch hiked from Texas to Cornell over thanksgiving week our senior year, she may have never said "Yes" to my proposal the next summer in Central Park, NYC.?
??
When is the last time the two of you were back? (And how did such a smart woman get hooked up with you?

When is the last time the two of you were back? (And how did such a smart woman get hooked up with you?

Decades ago for me but she went back for a reunion with Cornell friends about 20 years ago.
As to how smart even our kids say that for the smartest woman they have ever known, she doesn't have a lick of common sense.
I am their prime example apparently.?
-
When is the last time the two of you were back? (And how did such a smart woman get hooked up with you?

Decades ago for me but she went back for a reunion with Cornell friends about 20 years ago.
As to how smart even our kids say that for the smartest woman they have ever known, she doesn't have a lick of common sense.
I am their prime example apparently.?
Decades ago for me but she went back for a reunion with Cornell friends about 20 years ago.
As to how smart even our kids say that for the smartest woman they have ever known, she doesn't have a lick of common sense.
I am their prime example apparently.?
By all evidence your kids ended up being smart as well...

-
Decades ago for me but she went back for a reunion with Cornell friends about 20 years ago.
As to how smart even our kids say that for the smartest woman they have ever known, she doesn't have a lick of common sense.
I am their prime example apparently.?
By all evidence your kids ended up being smart as well...

By all evidence your kids ended up being smart as well...

Damn daughter has her mother's photographic (eidetic) memory. They drive me and my poor son bananas.??
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login