Skip to content

RB Position

The Browns Board
36 16 1.2k
  • 25 RB 5-11 202 23 R Tulane
     
    Carlos Hyde 34 RB 6-0 229 27 5 Ohio State
     
    Nick Chubb 31 RB 5-11 227 22 R Georgia
     
    Duke Johnson Jr. 29 RB 5-9 210 24 4 Miami (Fla.)
     
    Matthew Dayes 27 RB 5-9 205 23 2 North Carolina State
     
                   

    -------------------------------------------------------

    So Carlos Hyde, Nick Chubb and Duke are all pretty much locks to be on the team.

    Mathew Dayes and Donttell Hilliard need at least one of the other 3 to get injured.

    Basically it's Hyde & Chubb replacing Crow.  In this way if Hyde or Chubb get dinged, Duke doesn't absolutely have to come in and run a 3rd and 1 or 2 play.  -  I see our backfield as having been upgraded with sufficient talent for the position.   I hope our OL can open holes that any back can run through 🙂

    @orion said:

    25 RB 5-11 202 23 R Tulane
     
    Carlos Hyde 34 RB 6-0 229 27 5 Ohio State
     
    Nick Chubb 31 RB 5-11 227 22 R Georgia
     
    Duke Johnson Jr. 29 RB 5-9 210 24 4 Miami (Fla.)
     
    Matthew Dayes 27 RB 5-9 205 23 2 North Carolina State
     
                   

    -------------------------------------------------------

    So Carlos Hyde, Nick Chubb and Duke are all pretty much locks to be on the team.

    Mathew Dayes and Donttell Hilliard need at least one of the other 3 to get injured.

    Basically it's Hyde & Chubb replacing Crow.  In this way if Hyde or Chubb get dinged, Duke doesn't absolutely have to come in and run a 3rd and 1 or 2 play.  -  I see our backfield as having been upgraded with sufficient talent for the position.   I hope our OL can open holes that any back can run through 🙂

    We should have a running game to give opposing defenses a sore assshole. As long as we no longer are the most predictable offense in the NFL.

  • @orion said:

     I wasn't on this board then.....but I hated everything about Pettine era.  The players called him the Ghost...'cuz he walked around the practice field with his dark glasses on saying nothin' to nobody and teaching nobody nothin'.

    Pettine had this team at 7-4 and playing as well as any Browns team had since coming back... He had the rug completely pulled from under him by Ray Farmer between horrific drafts and being undermined DURING games by the front office. Pettine might have not been a great coach, but he deserved better than the trainwreck that was running the team above him. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Pettine deserved better than the trainwreck that was running the team above him. 

    Reason I had one issue with Pet and none with Shanny..my big one with Pet was his HS buddy Jim O'Neil (O'nelly). Soon we became the worst arm tackling team in the league. Then they blew Shelton up like a helium balloon character?(with no ropes) to somehow float to the parade to the sidelines with numerous sub packages..I still can't believe Chucky in Oakland signed O'Nelly as a defensive assistant..Good on Pet to let that dead dog land in Oakland & not with Pet in GB..    

  • @orion said:

     I wasn't on this board then.....but I hated everything about Pettine era.  The players called him the Ghost...'cuz he walked around the practice field with his dark glasses on saying nothin' to nobody and teaching nobody nothin'.

    Pettine had this team at 7-4 and playing as well as any Browns team had since coming back... He had the rug completely pulled from under him by Ray Farmer between horrific drafts and being undermined DURING games by the front office. Pettine might have not been a great coach, but he deserved better than the trainwreck that was running the team above him. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Pettine had this team at 7-4 and playing as well as any Browns team had since coming back

    The man tried a 60 yard FG with Devon Hester standing in the end zone.  The dipshit Atlanta coach called TO just before the snap so we ALL got to see Hester catch the ball in the end zone.  So, whew, we dodged THAT bullet.  BUT NOOOoooo.  Pettine tries it again.  No!  Really!  He tried it again!  Like the exhibition that just happened never happened.  And we all know what almost happened.  He ALMOST returned it for a TD.  You KNOW that a FG attempt is NOT like a punt right?  There's no guys running down the field to COVER a FG.  Pettine was a dope.

    And as Gumby said, O'Neil was a terrible coach too.

  • The offense should truly be good this season. I'm loving the talent at the skill positions

  • I think we will keep 4 backs.  3 seems thin.  Dayes or Hilliard make the team.

  • Didn't see much of those two last year.  At least running the ball from scrimmage.

  • O'Neils defensive alignments and personnel requirements always struck me as.... dumb.  

    Prime example - taking a good rotational lineman like Billy Winn and asking him to put on weight for a position he was not suited for. 

    Even my amateur eye could see he was in over his head. 

  • I think we will keep 4 backs.  3 seems thin.  Dayes or Hilliard make the team.

    @ballpeen said:

    I think we will keep 4 backs.  3 seems thin.  Dayes or Hilliard make the team.

    Dayes  is listed as our first string kickoff return man.  So he makes it as a special teamer if nothing else I surmise.

  • I don't know.  Most kick-off guys never even get to return kicks.  Plus we can go Calloway or Peppers or anybody.  I read where Hilliard returned kicks and he is a Dorsey pick-up.   If Dayes makes it IMO it is because he makes it as a back.  In the end we probably keep 4 backs and Vitale at FB.

  • I don't know.  Most kick-off guys never even get to return kicks.  Plus we can go Calloway or Peppers or anybody.  I read where Hilliard returned kicks and he is a Dorsey pick-up.   If Dayes makes it IMO it is because he makes it as a back.  In the end we probably keep 4 backs and Vitale at FB.

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't know.  Most kick-off guys never even get to return kicks.  Plus we can go Calloway or Peppers or anybody.  I read where Hilliard returned kicks and he is a Dorsey pick-up.   If Dayes makes it IMO it is because he makes it as a back.  In the end we probably keep 4 backs and Vitale at FB.

    I understand that Dayes contributes on the special teams, even if he is not returning kicks.  I think he may also be one of the gunners.  But yes, 4 backs and a fullback...so Dayes likely stays at this point....unless, as you say he is passed over for Hilliard because he is Dorsey's guy. All things being equal, a GM will rather keep "his guy".

  • Browns running backs as we continue our position-by-position analysis of the roster heading into 2018 training camp.

    THE RUNNING BACKS

    Carlos Hyde,   Nick Chubb,   Duke Johnson Jr.,   Matthew Dayes,   Dontrell Hilliard

    What we know: The Browns brought in two new faces to take the lion’s share of carries in 2018. Hyde, who spent his first four seasons with the 49ers, came to Cleveland shortly after Isaiah Crowell, the team’s most active ball-carrier since 2014, signed with the Jets. Chubb, an old-school, “violent” runner from Georgia, landed with the Browns early in the second round of the NFL Draft. The returning constant is Johnson, who signed a contract extension during OTAs. The presence of Hyde and Chubb should allow Johnson to thrive as a change-of-pace option who has amassed more receptions (188) and receiving yards (1,741) than any running back since 2015. It’s a triple-threat the Browns hope to utilize early, often and all the way to the finish one year after the team tied for third-best in the NFL in yards per carry (4.5) but ranked 18th in total rushing yards.

    Biggest question: How will the Browns distribute the carries between Chubb and Hyde? New running backs coach Freddie Kitchens indicated he’ll ride the hot hand throughout the season. What was clear in June was he hadn’t seen enough to determine who would even take the first carry of the first preseason game. “If they are having success, why would you change? It may be somebody new from week to week,” Kitchens said. “As far as duties with carries and stuff like that, we are nowhere close right now. Things can change. We were talking about it this morning, things can change in a heartbeat. In one play, everything can change. That is the approach we have to take. Go with what you see.” Splitting the carries would be nothing new for Chubb, who shared duties at Georgia with Sony Michel, who was drafted a few picks earlier than him by the Patriots. Hyde, who battled injuries but is coming off his best season yet in the NFL, was the bell cow in San Francisco.

    X-Factor: Everyone knows what kind of pass-catching threat the Browns have in Johnson, but there’s optimism in Berea about what Hyde and Chubb can do through the air. Hyde caught just 50 passes in his first three seasons in San Francisco but amassed 57 in 2017. Chubb was sparsely used in Georgia’s passing game, but Cleveland wasted little time getting him involved throughout OTAs and minicamp. Simply put, the Browns believe both downhill runners can make an impact beyond what they do on the ground. “I think they’ve got better hands than a lot of people feel like they have,” Kitchens said. “They didn’t have very many dropped balls in OTAs and minicamp. You evaluate what you see on tape. What I see on tape is they’re consistently catching the football. Now, we’ve got to get them to the point where they get open more. That comes with repetition and them actually doing it.”


    Stat tracker: Chubb finished with more than 100 yards in more than half of his 47 games at Georgia. He cleared 200 on three occasions.


    Says it all: “Those guys know we’ve got great competition in that room. It starts on an individual basis from within. You’ve got to compete with yourself and we’ve got guys that do that very well. Then compete inside our room and compete offensively and compete as a team. That’s how it’s organized. We don’t have anybody in the room that’s going to back away from competition at all. That’s a good scenario to have.” -- Kitchens

    How many were kept at last year’s 53-man cutdown? 3

  • I think we will keep 4 backs.  3 seems thin.  Dayes or Hilliard make the team.

    @ballpeen said:

     Dayes or Hilliard make the team.

    And it's a coin flip. There college stats mirror one another but Hillard's athlete numbers from his pro day vs Dayes combine numbers may still give Hillard a slight advantage..a good old fashion camp battle 

  • @ballpeen said:

     Dayes or Hilliard make the team.

    And it's a coin flip. There college stats mirror one another but Hillard's athlete numbers from his pro day vs Dayes combine numbers may still give Hillard a slight advantage..a good old fashion camp battle 

    @gumby73 said:

    a good old fashion camp battle 

    And I still say neither makes the 53.  I just don't think we're gonna keep 5 guys for the backfield.

  • @gumby73 said:

    a good old fashion camp battle 

    And I still say neither makes the 53.  I just don't think we're gonna keep 5 guys for the backfield.

    @orion said:

    And I still say neither makes the 53.  I just don't think we're gonna keep 5 guys for the backfield.

    agree, 3 rbs/1fb active gameday 46 players should surfice..Practice squad should see the winner of Dayes/Hillard. Dayes was a late 7th rounders/Hillard UDFA.No great loss if a team picks them off our PS. Terrence Mcgee was plucked from our PS last season. So we brought back Brandon Wilds.Watch this FB Marquez Williams kid? Vitale has the better athlete numbers at combine. But if Haley is looking for the next Roosevelt Nix as a blocking back, he left in da'berg? Williams goes the same size as Nix at 260lbs.  

  • I recall being fairly impressed with Dayes in preseason last year. 7th round gem, l thought. Optimism was unreasonably high right around then though, 4 and 0 and all.

    Was kinda surprised when he became the disappearing man once the season started. It seemed at the time the talk was finding Crow’s eventual replacement and l thought he was at least worth taking a closer look at during the regular season, but that didn’t really happen. 

  • I recall being fairly impressed with Dayes in preseason last year. 7th round gem, l thought. Optimism was unreasonably high right around then though, 4 and 0 and all.

    Was kinda surprised when he became the disappearing man once the season started. It seemed at the time the talk was finding Crow’s eventual replacement and l thought he was at least worth taking a closer look at during the regular season, but that didn’t really happen. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I recall being fairly impressed with Dayes in preseason last year. 7th round gem, l thought. Optimism was unreasonably high right around then though, 4 and 0 and all.

    Was kinda surprised when he became the disappearing man once the season started. It seemed at the time the talk was finding Crow’s eventual replacement and l thought he was at least worth taking a closer look at during the regular season, but that didn’t really happen. 

    No, it didn't happen and many of us were wondering why. Of course, we don't get to see what happens during practice, so perhaps Dayes wasn't cutting the mustard. What we do know is Crowell was driving Hue Jackson crazy due to his lack of vision and inconsistencies. At times Crow would literally miss the hole, and other times he wouldn't have the vision to make the cut (especially going left....hardly ever cut left). I forget which game it was in 2017, but Crowell literally cost us a possible victory by hitting the wrong gap on a 3rd and goal run. I believe we either kicked a FG or didn't get it on 4th, but we lost the game and it wasn't by much. To be fair to Crow, he should've had at least three more touchdowns last year on pass plays in the red zone. Kizer just flat out missed him or didn't see him for easy scores. And these are just the ones I can think of (same thing goes for Higgins. Kizer completely screwed him out of so many scores). 

    I cannot wait to see this team play. I'm under no false illusions that we're going to "bust out of the gates" and dominate people. My expectations are those of any fan for basically any team: To be competitive and bring home some wins, especially at home. I want to see us really develop a home field advantage like we used to have. It starts game 1 against our most hated rival. A team that has beaten us basically every time in the past 18 years. What better way to announce a changing of the guard than to win? (I wouldn't BET on it....but a guy can dream) 

  • It seems to me that I read Dayes was somewhat weak in pass protection & that's why he was seldom used.

    Mike

  • I want to see plenty of two back sets with Chubb and Hyde. Smashmouth football. Who's getting the ball? Who's going to lead block?! Nobody knows! They are both built like a M1 Abrams. I think I just achieved an erection contemplating the potential devastation our backfield shall achieve. I must digress for a few. 

  • I want to see plenty of two back sets with Chubb and Hyde. Smashmouth football. Who's getting the ball? Who's going to lead block?! Nobody knows! They are both built like a M1 Abrams. I think I just achieved an erection contemplating the potential devastation our backfield shall achieve. I must digress for a few. 

    @gunnergatski said:

    I want to see plenty of two back sets with Chubb and Hyde. Smashmouth football. Who's getting the ball? Who's going to lead block?! Nobody knows!

    Jim Brown / Ernie Green.....Leroy Kelly / Bo Scott....Mack / Byner.   ---   Those days are pretty much long gone.  And they ain't commin' back.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I want to see us really develop a home field advantage like we used to have.

    Well, that was back at the 'old' stadium where due to it's design, it held the sound inside the stadium.  The new stadium allows the sound to escape...plus the play of the team has allowed our fans to escape so that the stadium fills up with fans of the opponent.  (quite embarrassing actually)

  • This may sound like a Matthew Dayes fan? but my daughter took some classes at NCST that Dayes attended. Yes! real classes of NC Law. So were both big fans that started back to spring football games. #1) If your looking to replace Crow(upgrade/looking contract) or Duke(several concussions when Dayes was drafted) The pick before Mr.Irrelevant maynot bring you Chuck Foreman. But Dayes was a solid 5th to 6th round projection so we can now start to see the value..But than comes the part why Vets like Hue Jackson. A)The way Duke bounced back last season proving his contract worth Dayes was not taking snaps from Duke. B.) Spineless Hue gave Crow every opt to Crow to show his contract worth. Thought maybe when Crow bitched about carries Hue would insert Dayes. All for not. Crow still saw few carries. Dayes got put in Tabor's dawghouse early for missing assignment in punt block for TD week 1 last season. Been working his butt off on ST's just like many rookies get their start..Dayes is one of the most solid dudes that you'd ever meet. Dayes won't bitch at this point in his career. Matt puts his head up and out works the next guy. I'd expect Dayes to handover his job to no one..#27Woof!pack