Skip to content

OUR "Hard Knocks" Thread

The Browns Board
433 50 15.1k
  • Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

  • @orion said:

    A few things kinda' bugged me.

    I didn't think Hue had to carry on about how he was the boss in that coaches meeting.  A simple statement about why he made his decision was all that was called for.

    It seems like the coaches (and Landry) want players practicing and not taking days off.  Probably not gonna improve your play standing on the sidelines during practice.

    Hue questioned what time Baker gets in to work in the morning.  Hmmmm....

    It would behoove Hue Jackson to remember that both his offensive coordinator and Defensive coordinator have been head coaches in the past. Neither one, that I can recall, ever went 0-16.

    It's clear that he favors Tyrod Taylor. I'm not going to guess at what his reasoning for that is. On paper it does make sense to have Tyrod start but he seems really really stuck on that. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    It's clear that he favors Tyrod Taylor. I'm not going to guess at what his reasoning for that is. On paper it does make sense to have Tyrod start but he seems really really stuck on that. 

    as he should be. he's been shafted with two straight years of abysmal rooks. he makes all the sense in the world with his reasoning that under no curcumstances will baker start. but thats my issue then with the mayfield pick when u had two bonafide day 1 starters in the draft. I still would have started tyrod over both darnold and rosen, but id be a hell of alot more comfortable with either of those two if something happens early in the season to tyrod. If tyrod goes down at anytime this season i think its a disaster cause mayfield will come in, throw one or two good games then as soon as defenses got good tape and figure out his timing, he's gonba start panic running. And that sht does not work in the nfl unless ur a proven qb who can keep lb'rs honest. 

    they will jail break on mayfield and dare him to make the open throws in the face of crashing lb'ers and safeties. I dont know about anyone else but thats not sht i want mayfield dealing with for not just this season but maybe the next too. Tyrod might be the starter for 2-3 years if he keeps healthy. 

  • Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    Fortunately the guys actually running their sides of the ball are fully capable of nailing players against the wall until they do it right. And we obviously have a GM also fully capable of shipping out poisonous attitudes. So having a "father confessor" may work just fine. As long as he does not interfere with what his staff is doing where the rubber meets the road, he can smooth the waters they churn up and praise 'em when the actually "get it". I really don't have a problem with it. So every now and then he can just say "WTF is happening out here", "good guy" can actually come across as disappointed and not an pooper. Disappointment can be a hell of a motivator for players who really want to be the best, especially when it comes from the "good guy cop". 

    BTW one of my favorite scenes was when Myles was actually doing his job, but got to Mayfield on a dive for a fumble hitting him somewhat accidentally. The GM says "Stay off the QB's." And Myles tells another player laughingly, "I was trying too, honestly. I didn't wanta hit'em."" Thought that one was funny.

  • Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    Greg's players weren't too attentive during the 'tea party' scene.  

  • I thought it was great. Like a lot of you, I dont normally get HBO, so I got a free months subscription on HBO Now, and I can watch it on any device including my smart TV..

    I am certainly pulling hard for Hue, but I did find the "until you sit in this chair" scene a little awkward, as he has three ex head coaches on his staff, including the guy questioning him, Haley, who took a team to the playoffs. 

    But you cant blame a guy for doing things "his way", let's just hope it turns out to be the right way for once.

    Not enough can be said for Jarvis Landry.

    Don't shed a tear for Nassib if he doesn't have a long career,  that dude will be fine. He'll be counting his money long after the guys that spend a month on Instagram get taken to the cleaners by an IG "model".

    Z

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    It's clear that he favors Tyrod Taylor. I'm not going to guess at what his reasoning for that is. On paper it does make sense to have Tyrod start but he seems really really stuck on that. 

    as he should be. he's been shafted with two straight years of abysmal rooks. he makes all the sense in the world with his reasoning that under no curcumstances will baker start. but thats my issue then with the mayfield pick when u had two bonafide day 1 starters in the draft. I still would have started tyrod over both darnold and rosen, but id be a hell of alot more comfortable with either of those two if something happens early in the season to tyrod. If tyrod goes down at anytime this season i think its a disaster cause mayfield will come in, throw one or two good games then as soon as defenses got good tape and figure out his timing, he's gonba start panic running. And that sht does not work in the nfl unless ur a proven qb who can keep lb'rs honest. 

    they will jail break on mayfield and dare him to make the open throws in the face of crashing lb'ers and safeties. I dont know about anyone else but thats not sht i want mayfield dealing with for not just this season but maybe the next too. Tyrod might be the starter for 2-3 years if he keeps healthy. 

    @clevfan4life said:

    as he should be. he's been shafted with two straight years of abysmal rooks. he makes all the sense in the world with his reasoning that under no curcumstances will baker start. but thats my issue then with the mayfield pick when u had two bonafide day 1 starters in the draft. I still would have started tyrod over both darnold and rosen, but id be a hell of alot more comfortable with either of those two if something happens early in the season to tyrod. If tyrod goes down at anytime this season i think its a disaster cause mayfield will come in, throw one or two good games then as soon as defenses got good tape and figure out his timing, he's gonba start panic running. And that sht does not work in the nfl unless ur a proven qb who can keep lb'rs honest. 

    they will jail break on mayfield and dare him to make the open throws in the face of crashing lb'ers and safeties. I dont know about anyone else but thats not sht i want mayfield dealing with for not just this season but maybe the next too. Tyrod might be the starter for 2-3 years if he keeps healthy. 

    Every number, every statistic says Mayfield was far and away the better qb than those guys but you would have been more comfortable with them? I don't see how. Because they're a few inches taller I guess. That's literally the only thing where either of them beats Mayfield.

  • I think next episode shows the Coleman trade.

  • No one mentioned that HBO put the entire first episode on YouTube for free, for the first time ever?

  • Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    So, what you are saying is that  Hue does not like to be an pooper, but Williams and Haley are fully comfortable being assholes?  😆

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    So, what you are saying is that  Hue does not like to be an pooper, but Williams and Haley are fully comfortable being assholes?  😆

    @the-gipper said:

    So, what you are saying is that  Hue does not like to be an pooper, but Williams and Haley are fully comfortable being assholes?  😆

    Yeah, pretty much. ?

  • btw someone earlier questioned whether nassib made any plays or was around the ball at all in any of that footage. So go vack and watch the episode and ffw to the first full contact scrimmage. The VERY FIRST FRAMES of said footage showed #94 silly shedding either the RT or a TE, couldnt tell, and blowing up the runner. It was literally the first play they showed

  • I think next episode shows the Coleman trade.

    @lbc-mike said:

    I think next episode shows the Coleman trade.

    I think the preview mentioned "big trade" or something like that. 😮

  • I'm not sitting through this whole thread to see if anyone else did  but I posted the legit whole episode like five posts back. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'm not sitting through this whole thread to see if anyone else did  but I posted the legit whole episode like five posts back. 

    Yeah, I was amazed HBO would put it on YouTube, and not just a trailer....   When I saw it here I was thinking copyright infringement...  

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    Fortunately the guys actually running their sides of the ball are fully capable of nailing players against the wall until they do it right. And we obviously have a GM also fully capable of shipping out poisonous attitudes. So having a "father confessor" may work just fine. As long as he does not interfere with what his staff is doing where the rubber meets the road, he can smooth the waters they churn up and praise 'em when the actually "get it". I really don't have a problem with it. So every now and then he can just say "WTF is happening out here", "good guy" can actually come across as disappointed and not an pooper. Disappointment can be a hell of a motivator for players who really want to be the best, especially when it comes from the "good guy cop". 

    BTW one of my favorite scenes was when Myles was actually doing his job, but got to Mayfield on a dive for a fumble hitting him somewhat accidentally. The GM says "Stay off the QB's." And Myles tells another player laughingly, "I was trying too, honestly. I didn't wanta hit'em."" Thought that one was funny.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Fortunately the guys actually running their sides of the ball are fully capable of nailing players against the wall until they do it right. And we obviously have a GM also fully capable of shipping out poisonous attitudes. So having a "father confessor" may work just fine. As long as he does not interfere with what his staff is doing where the rubber meets the road, he can smooth the waters they churn up and praise 'em when the actually "get it". I really don't have a problem with it. So every now and then he can just say "WTF is happening out here", "good guy" can actually come across as disappointed and not an pooper. Disappointment can be a hell of a motivator for players who really want to be the best, especially when it comes from the "good guy cop". 

    BTW one of my favorite scenes was when Myles was actually doing his job, but got to Mayfield on a dive for a fumble hitting him somewhat accidentally. The GM says "Stay off the QB's." And Myles tells another player laughingly, "I was trying too, honestly. I didn't wanta hit'em."" Thought that one was funny.

    Will they show the complete Hue\Dorsey reaming out Callaway in one of the episodes? That would be "Must See" TV.   😁  

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'm not sitting through this whole thread to see if anyone else did  but I posted the legit whole episode like five posts back. 

    Yeah, I was amazed HBO would put it on YouTube, and not just a trailer....   When I saw it here I was thinking copyright infringement...  

    @hoorta said:

    Yeah, I was amazed HBO would put it on YouTube, and not just a trailer....   When I saw it here I was thinking copyright infringement...  

    That's YouTube's problem not this board's

  • @hoorta said:

    Yeah, I was amazed HBO would put it on YouTube, and not just a trailer....   When I saw it here I was thinking copyright infringement...  

    That's YouTube's problem not this board's

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    That's YouTube's problem not this board's

    It's the way everyone does business now.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    It would behoove Hue Jackson to remember that both his offensive coordinator and Defensive coordinator have been head coaches in the past. Neither one, that I can recall, ever went 0-16.

    Right.  Haley & Williams have sat in the chair that Hue is tenuously sitting on.  They're not interns in need of a lecture in hierarchy. 

    @orion said:

    Right.  Haley & Williams have sat in the chair that Hue is tenuously sitting on.  They're not interns in need of a lecture in hierarchy. 

    lol... nothing like knowing your personnel!

  • Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    Good observation...

    Add the early see with Hue addressing the team... say something to which he expected a response... says, "I can't hear you."... than seems satisfied by a few muttering something under their breath.

    He needed to jump their sh!t right then and there, but let it slide.

  • Hopefully @stillmotion will find a way to watch it in a "less expensive way" and will share it with us... 😉

    @nero said:

    Hopefully @stillmotion will find a way to watch it in a "less expensive way" and will share it with us... 😉

    Hey Nero, been in northern california all week and haven't had access to it. But yes, I (might) be able to. PM me.

  • Just watched it last night...

    Nassib going all Joe Pesci in Goodfellas during his enlightening financial discussion was possibly the whitest thing I've seen in a minute. "Hey, I'm the only white guy here talking to a bunch of black guys. I guess I need to say F U C K every other word so they'll take me seriously!" 😁 

    I seriously question the long term viability of Hue and Haley working together. 

    Landry is good at catching the pigskin. 

    Hue might be a mediocre head coach, but is a good guy. But man, the guy couldn't inspire a drowning man to jump on a life boat. His speeches to the team were just bad. 

    John Dorsey is the guy everyone knows, Mr. Alpha Male who asks you a question then starts talking over you three seconds later as you try to answer it.