Skip to content

OUR "Hard Knocks" Thread

The Browns Board
433 50 15.1k
  • @hoorta said:

    Yeah, I was amazed HBO would put it on YouTube, and not just a trailer....   When I saw it here I was thinking copyright infringement...  

    That's YouTube's problem not this board's

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    That's YouTube's problem not this board's

    It's the way everyone does business now.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    It would behoove Hue Jackson to remember that both his offensive coordinator and Defensive coordinator have been head coaches in the past. Neither one, that I can recall, ever went 0-16.

    Right.  Haley & Williams have sat in the chair that Hue is tenuously sitting on.  They're not interns in need of a lecture in hierarchy. 

    @orion said:

    Right.  Haley & Williams have sat in the chair that Hue is tenuously sitting on.  They're not interns in need of a lecture in hierarchy. 

    lol... nothing like knowing your personnel!

  • Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Watched the first episode again and l think l pegged my issue with Jackson. He has good cop mentality. 

    He smiles too damn much and wants to be liked too much. He’s not comfortable being the àsshole he needs to be sometimes.

    I kept looking at body language and expressions when he had exchanges with other coaches or players. 

    The scene where he’s talking to Baker about what time he gets to the building in the morning. And the “tea party” scene where Randall and Ward are trying to avoid his stare. He’s not comfortable being stern and it shows.

    Contrast that to the scene where Gregg Williams is addressing the room about how he doesn’t want to be an àsshole. The cameras show attentive faces. The players are paying attention.

    The dichotomy may work since both Williams and Haley seem to be capable of the bad cop role.

    Good observation...

    Add the early see with Hue addressing the team... say something to which he expected a response... says, "I can't hear you."... than seems satisfied by a few muttering something under their breath.

    He needed to jump their sh!t right then and there, but let it slide.

  • Hopefully @stillmotion will find a way to watch it in a "less expensive way" and will share it with us... 😉

    @nero said:

    Hopefully @stillmotion will find a way to watch it in a "less expensive way" and will share it with us... 😉

    Hey Nero, been in northern california all week and haven't had access to it. But yes, I (might) be able to. PM me.

  • Just watched it last night...

    Nassib going all Joe Pesci in Goodfellas during his enlightening financial discussion was possibly the whitest thing I've seen in a minute. "Hey, I'm the only white guy here talking to a bunch of black guys. I guess I need to say F U C K every other word so they'll take me seriously!" 😁 

    I seriously question the long term viability of Hue and Haley working together. 

    Landry is good at catching the pigskin. 

    Hue might be a mediocre head coach, but is a good guy. But man, the guy couldn't inspire a drowning man to jump on a life boat. His speeches to the team were just bad. 

    John Dorsey is the guy everyone knows, Mr. Alpha Male who asks you a question then starts talking over you three seconds later as you try to answer it. 

  • Going throw in a few impression/ thoughts and questions based on mullings over last nite's viewing before I take in the thread....

    I plan to watch the episode again.

    Impressions/ Thoughts:

    • Loved the stripes coming off... will we appear stripeless Thursday nite?
    • Haley and Hue are going to have issues.
    • Appears we have leaders on both sides of the ball: Landry and Kirk.
    • Note to Higgins and the other WRs not named Landry... LESS ADMIRATION! MORE EMULATION!!
    • Greg Williams is one funny sumbitch... but seems to will himself to be an a$$. Kinda artificial...
    • The above seems to come naturally to Haley.
    • Hue is soft.
    • Chuckled at the contrast between Baker's arrival and Chubb's...
    • The mass Lake Erie plunge was lame bordering on gay.
    • Good to hear Myles is still working with BRUCE! But Willie wouldn't be a bad teach either...
    • Bito's rockin' the JT beard... now just rock his position.

    Questions:

    • Is the HC "chair" really that different? Aren't Coordinators impacted by players who are not available?
    • Is having a leader on O other than the QB a good thing?
    • Is Jarvis going to be our only decent WR? Only decent receiver period? (At least until Duke is used more at the position.)
    • 10% interest? Where does Nassib do his banking?

    @tour2ma said:

    Going throw in a few impression/ thoughts and questions based on mullings over last nite's viewing before I take in the thread....

    I plan to watch the episode again.

    Impressions/ Thoughts:

    • Loved the stripes coming off... will we appear stripeless Thursday nite?
    • Haley and Hue are going to have issues.
    • Appears we have leaders on both sides of the ball: Landry and Kirk.
    • Note to Higgins and the other WRs not named Landry... LESS ADMIRATION! MORE EMULATION!!
    • Greg Williams is one funny sumbitch... but seems to will himself to be an a$$. Kinda artificial...
    • The above seems to come naturally to Haley.
    • Hue is soft.
    • Chuckled at the contrast between Baker's arrival and Chubb's...
    • The mass Lake Erie plunge was lame bordering on gay.
    • Good to hear Myles is still working with BRUCE! But Willie wouldn't be a bad teach either...
    • Bito's rockin' the JT beard... now just rock his position.

    Questions:

    • Is the HC "chair" really that different? Aren't Coordinators impacted by players who are not available?
    • Is having a leader on O other than the QB a good thing?
    • Is Jarvis going to be our only decent WR? Only decent receiver period? (At least until Duke is used more at the position.)
    • 10% interest? Where does Nassib do his banking?

    Well done - glad to see you back in regular season form already! 

    I'm not sure who the guys are that keep getting permission to miss practices for bumps and bruises during the 2-a-days but I could definitely understand the frustration of the Coordinators and position coaches.  In fact, Landry was telling a room full of missing brain cells (at the WR position) every time they're finding reasons to miss practices and reps - that's increasing the reps and chances of injury to those that have to double their reps because of it.  I had flashbacks to an old Star Trek episode where they visited a planet where nobody had any brains rendering it impossible to communicate.  Or was that summer school?

    FWIW, I don't see ANY problem to Hue wanting an experienced guy like Landry or someone else that's been busting tail to sit out 1 of the 2 practices every once in a great while. Understanding the turbulent history Myles Garrett has had with his ankle - I definitely don't mind hearing he's sitting out a practice or 2.  People will be REALLY pissed at Hue if we lose a guy like that in August.  Head Coaches all over the league sit out key vets in preseason games (which is practice) and practices while the Coordinators and position coaches gotta make due with it. That's good practice for them too since players often get injured without any such plans for it. We're still a month away from games so it's okay to take into account that 2-a-days + strength & conditioning can keep prevent guys from recuperating enough to increase their vulnerability to injury.  When I worked my station 2 days a week in the TB Bucs weight room in 97 and 98 - they made them do their weight training session between the morning practice and lunch during the training camp in FL heat.  And after lunch - they napped before their afternoon position group meeting and got back on the field in the evening.  That's a LONG day - and Tony Dungy used to do what Hue is doing right now with trying to limit some overuse susceptibilities where he saw fit for whatever that's worth... 

    This is a time of year where a Head Coach is looking for the guys that want it most.  If the same guys are always looking for reasons not to practice, they're not going to be the ones winning starting jobs or roster spots.  IMO, it's up to all the coaches to remind guys their golden opportunity in training camp is a very small window that sitting out can slam shut. If guys don't get the message after we sent a 1st round pick packing to Buffalo - we don't need any more hollow domes and hollow hearts anyway....

    Leaders other than the QB?  In 2007, Eric Steinbach was a savvy vet that was a calming influence that helped to expedite the learning curve of Joe Thomas.  Joe had something like 2 penalties in limited action during his first pre-season game (that Steinbach didn't suit up for); and it was the only time he ever looked human at LT.   We went 10-6 that year via a QB that's only been a backup all other places and seasons.   Well respected vets tend to possess credibility.  For example, Jarvis Landry has a few Pro Bowls on the resume so he's the one getting the most credit for leadership.  That said, reports have indicated Tyrod Taylor is the 1st to arrive and last to leave the facility every day since he got there.  He has been taking on a leadership role as much as he can; but that gets eclipsed by the reality that we used our 1st overall pick on a QB with a contract longer than 1 year.  Maybe that's why Haley and Hue keep trying to emphasize Taylor is the starting QB and leader of this team.   Other vets taking leadership roles?  How about Joel Bitonio taking on the position change where he will also have to mentor the guy trying to fill his shoes at LG?  And then, there is Kirksey on the defensive side of the ball and anyone else.

    I agree that Gregg Williams is hilarious!  I like that he hooked up Garrett with Bruce Smith. He mentioned that last year and I thought it was just a quick tutor session or 2 but it's still going on. Clyde Simmons should also be a big help to our dline/DEs considering his background in Buddy Ryan's system that Gregg Williams also got his NFL potty training in (w/the Oilers).  In the 2 years Gregg Williams was the DC for SB Teams in Tennessee and New Orleans, his DEs were rookie Jevon Kearse and Will Smith.  Jevon Kearse was a standup LBer at Florida that transitioned to a Rookie of the Year at DE in 99 with 14.5 sacks.  Will Smith had best pass rushing stats in 2009 with 13 sacks of the edge the year they won the SB.   Is it all just a coincidence or does he borrow parts of a great system for the right pedigrees off the edge? 

  • Just watched it last night...

    Nassib going all Joe Pesci in Goodfellas during his enlightening financial discussion was possibly the whitest thing I've seen in a minute. "Hey, I'm the only white guy here talking to a bunch of black guys. I guess I need to say F U C K every other word so they'll take me seriously!" 😁 

    I seriously question the long term viability of Hue and Haley working together. 

    Landry is good at catching the pigskin. 

    Hue might be a mediocre head coach, but is a good guy. But man, the guy couldn't inspire a drowning man to jump on a life boat. His speeches to the team were just bad. 

    John Dorsey is the guy everyone knows, Mr. Alpha Male who asks you a question then starts talking over you three seconds later as you try to answer it. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    John Dorsey is the guy everyone knows, Mr. Alpha Male who asks you a question then starts talking over you three seconds later as you try to answer it. 

    I picked up on that as well.

    I’ve had the misfortune of having a couple of bosses like that in my career.

    They’re really not concerned with your answer...they just like to hear themselves talk.

  • Season 1 Episode 2
    TV-MA|58 MIN|2018|HD
    Adult Language
    Please come back for upcoming original programming information. Thank you for visiting the schedule.
    TELEVISION 
    SEE LESS
    • Tue, Aug 14    10:00 pm ETHBO
    • Tue, Aug 1410:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Wed, Aug 15    2:45 am ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 15    6:30 pm ETHBO
    • Wed, Aug 157:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Wed, Aug 15    10:30 pm ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 15    11:35 pm ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 1612:50 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Thu, Aug 16     1:10 pm ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 161:10 pm ETHBO LATINO
    ON DEMAND
    Available Wed, Aug 15
    STREAMING
    Available Tue, Aug 14 at 10:00pm ET on HBO GO and HBO NOW

    @mjp28 said:

    Season 1 Episode 2
    TV-MA|58 MIN|2018|HD
    Adult Language
    Please come back for upcoming original programming information. Thank you for visiting the schedule.
    TELEVISION 
    SEE LESS
    • Tue, Aug 14    10:00 pm ETHBO
    • Tue, Aug 1410:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    •  
    • Wed, Aug 15    2:45 am ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 15    6:30 pm ETHBO
    • Wed, Aug 157:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Wed, Aug 15    10:30 pm ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 15    11:35 pm ETHBO
    •  
    • Thu, Aug 1612:50 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Thu, Aug 16     1:10 pm ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 161:10 pm ETHBO LATINO
    ON DEMAND
    Available Wed, Aug 15
    STREAMING
    Available Tue, Aug 14 at 10:00pm ET on HBO GO and HBO NOW

    Wow NFL preseason is on, high school football is cranking up soon, the college games are near.

    Ahhhhhh football, is this a great country or what!

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    It's clear that he favors Tyrod Taylor. I'm not going to guess at what his reasoning for that is. On paper it does make sense to have Tyrod start but he seems really really stuck on that. 

    as he should be. he's been shafted with two straight years of abysmal rooks. he makes all the sense in the world with his reasoning that under no curcumstances will baker start. but thats my issue then with the mayfield pick when u had two bonafide day 1 starters in the draft. I still would have started tyrod over both darnold and rosen, but id be a hell of alot more comfortable with either of those two if something happens early in the season to tyrod. If tyrod goes down at anytime this season i think its a disaster cause mayfield will come in, throw one or two good games then as soon as defenses got good tape and figure out his timing, he's gonba start panic running. And that sht does not work in the nfl unless ur a proven qb who can keep lb'rs honest. 

    they will jail break on mayfield and dare him to make the open throws in the face of crashing lb'ers and safeties. I dont know about anyone else but thats not sht i want mayfield dealing with for not just this season but maybe the next too. Tyrod might be the starter for 2-3 years if he keeps healthy. 

    @clevfan4life said:

    Tyrod might be the starter for 2-3 years if he keeps healthy. 

    lmao.....there is ZERO chance of this happening if baker is healthy.

    Baker  might completely suck,  but he;s the # overall pick.  He is the starter next year regardless of what TT does, probably sooner

  • @mjp28 said:

    Season 1 Episode 2
    TV-MA|58 MIN|2018|HD
    Adult Language
    Please come back for upcoming original programming information. Thank you for visiting the schedule.
    TELEVISION 
    SEE LESS
    • Tue, Aug 14    10:00 pm ETHBO
    • Tue, Aug 1410:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    •  
    • Wed, Aug 15    2:45 am ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 15    6:30 pm ETHBO
    • Wed, Aug 157:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Wed, Aug 15    10:30 pm ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 15    11:35 pm ETHBO
    •  
    • Thu, Aug 1612:50 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Thu, Aug 16     1:10 pm ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 161:10 pm ETHBO LATINO
    ON DEMAND
    Available Wed, Aug 15
    STREAMING
    Available Tue, Aug 14 at 10:00pm ET on HBO GO and HBO NOW

    Wow NFL preseason is on, high school football is cranking up soon, the college games are near.

    Ahhhhhh football, is this a great country or what!

    @mjp28 said:

    Wow NFL preseason is on, high school football is cranking up soon, the college games are near.

    Ahhhhhh football, is this a great country or what!

    Thanks MJ!   I set my DVR to record the 1st episode every week on Tuesday nights at 10pm ET on HBO.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Wow NFL preseason is on, high school football is cranking up soon, the college games are near.

    Ahhhhhh football, is this a great country or what!

    Thanks MJ!   I set my DVR to record the 1st episode every week on Tuesday nights at 10pm ET on HBO.

    @flugel said:

    Thanks MJ!   I set my DVR to record the 1st episode every week on Tuesday nights at 10pm ET on HBO.

    For the whole season of HARD KNOCKS see the link:

    https://www.hbo.com/schedule-search-results?seriesIds=PMRS7264

    I haven't seen the ratings yet but I'd be willing to bet they are pretty good......we'll see on that.

    .......oh can't get enough of the CLEVELAND BROWNS  want every episode 2 viewing?

    Available Wed, Aug 15 On Demand
    Television
    • Tue, Aug 1410:00 pm ETHBO
    • Tue, Aug 1410:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Wed, Aug 152:45 am ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 156:30 pm ETHBO
    • Wed, Aug 157:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Wed, Aug 1510:30 pm ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 1511:40 pm ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 1612:50 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Thu, Aug 161:10 pm ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 161:10 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Fri, Aug 174:20 am ETHBO
    • Fri, Aug 174:20 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Fri, Aug 174:15 pm ETHBO
    • Fri, Aug 174:15 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Sat, Aug 183:00 am ETHBO
    • Sat, Aug 183:00 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Sun, Aug 192:45 am ETHBO2
    • Sun, Aug 1910:00 am ETHBO
    • Sun, Aug 1910:00 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Tue, Aug 214:20 am ETHBO
    • Tue, Aug 214:20 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Tue, Aug 218:00 pm ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 229:00 pm ETHBO2
    • Sat, Sep 081:45 pm ETHBO
    • Sat, Sep 081:45 pm ETHBO LATINO
  • @flugel said:

    Thanks MJ!   I set my DVR to record the 1st episode every week on Tuesday nights at 10pm ET on HBO.

    For the whole season of HARD KNOCKS see the link:

    https://www.hbo.com/schedule-search-results?seriesIds=PMRS7264

    I haven't seen the ratings yet but I'd be willing to bet they are pretty good......we'll see on that.

    .......oh can't get enough of the CLEVELAND BROWNS  want every episode 2 viewing?

    Available Wed, Aug 15 On Demand
    Television
    • Tue, Aug 1410:00 pm ETHBO
    • Tue, Aug 1410:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Wed, Aug 152:45 am ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 156:30 pm ETHBO
    • Wed, Aug 157:00 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Wed, Aug 1510:30 pm ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 1511:40 pm ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 1612:50 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Thu, Aug 161:10 pm ETHBO
    • Thu, Aug 161:10 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Fri, Aug 174:20 am ETHBO
    • Fri, Aug 174:20 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Fri, Aug 174:15 pm ETHBO
    • Fri, Aug 174:15 pm ETHBO LATINO
    • Sat, Aug 183:00 am ETHBO
    • Sat, Aug 183:00 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Sun, Aug 192:45 am ETHBO2
    • Sun, Aug 1910:00 am ETHBO
    • Sun, Aug 1910:00 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Tue, Aug 214:20 am ETHBO
    • Tue, Aug 214:20 am ETHBO LATINO
    • Tue, Aug 218:00 pm ETHBO2
    • Wed, Aug 229:00 pm ETHBO2
    • Sat, Sep 081:45 pm ETHBO
    • Sat, Sep 081:45 pm ETHBO LATINO

    @mjp28 said:

    For the whole season of HARD KNOCKS see the link:

    https://www.hbo.com/schedule-search-results?seriesIds=PMRS7264

    I haven't seen the ratings yet but I'd be willing to bet they are pretty good......we'll see on that.

    When Landry was giving his speech to the WRs, I tried to take inventory of the number of brain cells in his audience in the room.   The good news is I could count that high in English and Spanish.  The bad news is I could count that high in English and Spanish...

  • @mjp28 said:

    For the whole season of HARD KNOCKS see the link:

    https://www.hbo.com/schedule-search-results?seriesIds=PMRS7264

    I haven't seen the ratings yet but I'd be willing to bet they are pretty good......we'll see on that.

    When Landry was giving his speech to the WRs, I tried to take inventory of the number of brain cells in his audience in the room.   The good news is I could count that high in English and Spanish.  The bad news is I could count that high in English and Spanish...

    @flugel said:

    When Landry was giving his speech to the WRs, I tried to take inventory of the number of brain cells in his audience in the room.   The good news is I could count that high in English and Spanish.  The bad news is I could count that high in English and Spanish...

    if u think that lowly of the players why even watch football? i mean look i get it, these kids make alot of bad decisions that make one facepalm.....but i guarantee 99% of the people here would make the same mistakes if they were given 5m when they were that young AND had essentially raised themselves. These kids more often than not come from non existent families so they grew up with "da boyz".

    But they're not dumb, u cant play in the nfl if ur a complete Retard, theres too much memorize and too many instantaneous cognitive decisions that must be made based on nanosecond observations. The game has grown vastly more complicated over time.

    im just real curious why people thst like to sht so much on ngl players bother to even watch it. I dont know if that specificslly describes you, im just msking a gen statement. I dont hold that lvl of vitriol for gordon and he's literally by himself cost the franchise 10 or more wins over the last 3-4 years. I realize he just has "addiction", an addiction afflicts people with varying IQ equally.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    John Dorsey is the guy everyone knows, Mr. Alpha Male who asks you a question then starts talking over you three seconds later as you try to answer it. 

    I picked up on that as well.

    I’ve had the misfortune of having a couple of bosses like that in my career.

    They’re really not concerned with your answer...they just like to hear themselves talk.

    @canton-dawg said:

    I picked up on that as well.

    I’ve had the misfortune of having a couple of bosses like that in my career.

    They’re really not concerned with your answer...they just like to hear themselves talk.

    My current boss is EXACTLY like that. 

    He married the owner of the business I work at. She inherited it from her dad. Both are lazy pieces of Sheet who show up the absolute least amount of time they can as their business handed to them on a silver platter circles the drain. He took HER last name, because he's her bitch. As you can guess, he overcompensates for this by acting like he's god's gift to the world and by treating his wife's employee's like dogshit. I sincerely hope he gets AIDS. 

  • @canton-dawg said:

    I picked up on that as well.

    I’ve had the misfortune of having a couple of bosses like that in my career.

    They’re really not concerned with your answer...they just like to hear themselves talk.

    My current boss is EXACTLY like that. 

    He married the owner of the business I work at. She inherited it from her dad. Both are lazy pieces of Sheet who show up the absolute least amount of time they can as their business handed to them on a silver platter circles the drain. He took HER last name, because he's her bitch. As you can guess, he overcompensates for this by acting like he's god's gift to the world and by treating his wife's employee's like dogshit. I sincerely hope he gets AIDS. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    My current boss is EXACTLY like that. 

    He married the owner of the business I work at. She inherited it from her dad. Both are lazy pieces of Sheet who show up the absolute least amount of time they can as their business handed to them on a silver platter circles the drain. He took HER last name, because he's her bitch. As you can guess, he overcompensates for this by acting like he's god's gift to the world and by treating his wife's employee's like dogshit. I sincerely hope he gets AIDS. 

    Lol that he's her b1tch. call it out and get a better job, dutch

  • @flugel said:

    When Landry was giving his speech to the WRs, I tried to take inventory of the number of brain cells in his audience in the room.   The good news is I could count that high in English and Spanish.  The bad news is I could count that high in English and Spanish...

    if u think that lowly of the players why even watch football? i mean look i get it, these kids make alot of bad decisions that make one facepalm.....but i guarantee 99% of the people here would make the same mistakes if they were given 5m when they were that young AND had essentially raised themselves. These kids more often than not come from non existent families so they grew up with "da boyz".

    But they're not dumb, u cant play in the nfl if ur a complete Retard, theres too much memorize and too many instantaneous cognitive decisions that must be made based on nanosecond observations. The game has grown vastly more complicated over time.

    im just real curious why people thst like to sht so much on ngl players bother to even watch it. I dont know if that specificslly describes you, im just msking a gen statement. I dont hold that lvl of vitriol for gordon and he's literally by himself cost the franchise 10 or more wins over the last 3-4 years. I realize he just has "addiction", an addiction afflicts people with varying IQ equally.

    @clevfan4life said:

    But they're not dumb, u cant play in the nfl if ur a complete Retard, theres too much memorize and too many instantaneous cognitive decisions that must be made based on nanosecond observations. The game has grown vastly more complicated over time.

    im just real curious why people thst like to sht so much on ngl players bother to even watch it. I dont know if that specificslly describes you, im just msking a gen statement.

    I'd say that it's a sport where roles are very different that you can have a guy analyzing an entire defense like a QB or a Running Back that only needs to know when and where he has to run or block and the name of those 8 different plays. 

    To reach that level in sports, probably most of them don't excel at intelligence tests. Yeah, there are clever players and they can be intelligent independently of they position, but we watch a sport to enjoy men at the summit of athleticism and technice. The same way I watch a play to stimulate my brain and enjoy with the intelligence of the artist behind it.

    I don't need my artists running 4.4 the 40 yards.

  • @flugel said:

    When Landry was giving his speech to the WRs, I tried to take inventory of the number of brain cells in his audience in the room.   The good news is I could count that high in English and Spanish.  The bad news is I could count that high in English and Spanish...

    if u think that lowly of the players why even watch football? i mean look i get it, these kids make alot of bad decisions that make one facepalm.....but i guarantee 99% of the people here would make the same mistakes if they were given 5m when they were that young AND had essentially raised themselves. These kids more often than not come from non existent families so they grew up with "da boyz".

    But they're not dumb, u cant play in the nfl if ur a complete Retard, theres too much memorize and too many instantaneous cognitive decisions that must be made based on nanosecond observations. The game has grown vastly more complicated over time.

    im just real curious why people thst like to sht so much on ngl players bother to even watch it. I dont know if that specificslly describes you, im just msking a gen statement. I dont hold that lvl of vitriol for gordon and he's literally by himself cost the franchise 10 or more wins over the last 3-4 years. I realize he just has "addiction", an addiction afflicts people with varying IQ equally.

    @clevfan4life said:

    if u think that lowly of the players why even watch football? i mean look i get it, these kids make alot of bad decisions that make one facepalm.....but i guarantee 99% of the people here would make the same mistakes if they were given 5m when they were that young AND had essentially raised themselves. These kids more often than not come from non existent families so they grew up with "da boyz".

    But they're not dumb, u cant play in the nfl if ur a complete Retard, theres too much memorize and too many instantaneous cognitive decisions that must be made based on nanosecond observations. The game has grown vastly more complicated over time.

    im just real curious why people thst like to sht so much on ngl players bother to even watch it. I dont know if that specificslly describes you, im just msking a gen statement. I dont hold that lvl of vitriol for gordon and he's literally by himself cost the franchise 10 or more wins over the last 3-4 years. I realize he just has "addiction", an addiction afflicts people with varying IQ equally.

    While I'm glad to see your passion back on the board, try not to speak for me in this one.  First, my history in here has been rose colored glasses almost to a fault.  Never could do football without a game face and I'm not going to start doing it at 54 years of age. I predicted 8 wins this year and I'm one that has no problem admitting I'm wrong especially since practice makes perfect. If that makes me Linus in the pumpkin patch - so be it...

    I don't think that lowly of professionals.  Never have.  I think that lowly of guys refusing to be professionals to the extent they need a speech from a well respected professional about needing to honor being a professional within a very limited opportunity they have to do so. I listened to Landry's speech enough to understand why it was warranted. Coincidentally, shortly after the 1st episode was filmed we had a 1st round WR that got traded to Buffalo for a stale bag of potato chips. Coleman was paid a 7-8 digit salary to be a professional that never came close to justifying what was committed to him.   Dropsies don't reflect focus while staying out with Kenny Britt til 3am the weekend of a game doesn't reflect commitment. Another WR that was suspended so often at Florida they called him "Gator Done" - just got himself in the news for getting into more trouble he could ill-afford.  I can't pretend that's smart for a guy that already had to wait 4 rounds to get drafted despite some scouts suggesting he had 1st round talent.   If I wrongly included Higgins and a rookie or 2 in that insult - my bad.    

    You disappeared from the board for a long time but I've posted more than once how impressed I've been with the effort I'm finally seeing/perceiving from Gordon to remain clean.  I lost a brother that lost to addiction so I've seen what it can do to an extremely talented person.  I used to feel like Gordon agreed to treatment just to get people off his back with his only real plan being to try to outsmart the NFL drug testing process he's never outsmarted. That being the case I always wanted us to try to trade him as soon as it was possible. I no longer feel that way that way at all.   I'm actually impressed with how seriously he's finally taking his need to stay clean to the point I'm glad he's avoiding any/all triggers the month before games begin.  

    Smart players with ideal professionalism are what attracted me to this team in the first place.  My avatar is of the 190 lb Greg Pruitt who was one of the strongest guys in the NFL pound for pound. These are just some of the pedigrees behind my permanent bond to this franchise: Brian Sipe, Bernie Kosar, Ozzie Newsome, Clay Matthews, Jerry Sherk, Paul Warfield, Reggie Rucker, Doug Dieken, Hanford Dixon, Frank Minnifield, Eric Turner, Mike Johnson, Walter Johnson, Thom Darden, Leroy Kelly, Greg Pruitt, Mike Pruitt, Kevin Mack, Earnest Byner, Tony/T-Bone Jones, Mike Baab, Robert Jackson, Tom DeLeone, Bam Bam Ambrose, Joe Delamielleure, Orlando Brown Sr, Leroy Hoard, Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Joel Bitonio, Brian Brennan, Pepper Johnson, Carl Banks, Bob Golic, Rob Burnett and Josh Cribbs.  Do you know what else all these guys had in common despite their diversity of backgrounds?  Nobody thought they were hollow domes.

  • @flugel said:

    When Landry was giving his speech to the WRs, I tried to take inventory of the number of brain cells in his audience in the room.   The good news is I could count that high in English and Spanish.  The bad news is I could count that high in English and Spanish...

    if u think that lowly of the players why even watch football? i mean look i get it, these kids make alot of bad decisions that make one facepalm.....but i guarantee 99% of the people here would make the same mistakes if they were given 5m when they were that young AND had essentially raised themselves. These kids more often than not come from non existent families so they grew up with "da boyz".

    But they're not dumb, u cant play in the nfl if ur a complete Retard, theres too much memorize and too many instantaneous cognitive decisions that must be made based on nanosecond observations. The game has grown vastly more complicated over time.

    im just real curious why people thst like to sht so much on ngl players bother to even watch it. I dont know if that specificslly describes you, im just msking a gen statement. I dont hold that lvl of vitriol for gordon and he's literally by himself cost the franchise 10 or more wins over the last 3-4 years. I realize he just has "addiction", an addiction afflicts people with varying IQ equally.

    @clevfan4life said:

    if u think that lowly of the players why even watch football? i mean look i get it, these kids make alot of bad decisions that make one facepalm.....but i guarantee 99% of the people here would make the same mistakes if they were given 5m when they were that young AND had essentially raised themselves. These kids more often than not come from non existent families so they grew up with "da boyz".

    But they're not dumb, u cant play in the nfl if ur a complete Retard, theres too much memorize and too many instantaneous cognitive decisions that must be made based on nanosecond observations. The game has grown vastly more complicated over time.

    im just real curious why people thst like to sht so much on ngl players bother to even watch it. I dont know if that specificslly describes you, im just msking a gen statement. I dont hold that lvl of vitriol for gordon and he's literally by himself cost the franchise 10 or more wins over the last 3-4 years. I realize he just has "addiction", an addiction afflicts people with varying IQ equally.

    Word

  • i want to be clear that i wasmt singling out flugel nor really critisizing him that hard. I mean i too was nodding my head at landrys speech, its about fukking time someone did that. I got plenty of issues witj some browns players and pro athletes in general. I just see alot of shtting on these players from alot of peopke for alot of different reasons. and sometimes it feels like bordering on hatred. I dont think i need to bring up the whole anthem stuff but thats just one example.

    if somebody hates nfl players or just really loathes and contempts of pro curlers, i got no issue with that. But its weird to see people follow sport so religiously where they seemingly loathe the players. Im not accusing flugel of that btw im making a gen statement

  • i want to be clear that i wasmt singling out flugel nor really critisizing him that hard. I mean i too was nodding my head at landrys speech, its about fukking time someone did that. I got plenty of issues witj some browns players and pro athletes in general. I just see alot of shtting on these players from alot of peopke for alot of different reasons. and sometimes it feels like bordering on hatred. I dont think i need to bring up the whole anthem stuff but thats just one example.

    if somebody hates nfl players or just really loathes and contempts of pro curlers, i got no issue with that. But its weird to see people follow sport so religiously where they seemingly loathe the players. Im not accusing flugel of that btw im making a gen statement

    @clevfan4life said:

    i want to be clear that i wasmt singling out flugel nor really critisizing him that hard. I mean i too was nodding my head at landrys speech, its about fukking time someone did that. I got plenty of issues witj some browns players and pro athletes in general. I just see alot of shtting on these players from alot of peopke for alot of different reasons. and sometimes it feels like bordering on hatred. I dont think i need to bring up the whole anthem stuff but thats just one example.

    if somebody hates nfl players or just really loathes and contempts of pro curlers, i got no issue with that. But its weird to see people follow sport so religiously where they seemingly loathe the players. Im not accusing flugel of that btw im making a gen statement

    It needed to be said. I think it was directed at Coleman for sure, and maybe a couple of the other guys. Coleman did slack off with Britt. He was always injured. That makes me wonder when Landry said someone was on the sidelines when they weren't injured and that it made other people work harder. Maybe Coleman was just toxic, but the team seems better off without him. Didn't even the coaches yell at coleman during hard knocks for not giving effort on a play? If I remember correctly they did.

    We've got a great group, and I feel really bad about Hue losing his mother and his brother. Hopefully we gel together and start to sync greatly. I just hope Hue can be tougher on our guys, because he seems too laid back, and the players don't seem very scared of him. Bill B doesn't get very angry at times, but if someone doesn't put in effort, or crosses him, they're instantly gone. I'd like to see Hue act more like that instead of just Dorsey doing it. Because Dorsey is aggressive, we no longer have Coleman. But I can guarantee, another WR wants "it" more than Coleman, who Ghoolie was right about.