Skip to content

OUR "Hard Knocks" Thread

The Browns Board
433 50 15.1k
  • It was hard watching the cuts. I'm sure HBO wanted one of their highlighted bubble guys to make it, but it's  not just reality TV ... it's real.

    I hope Orchard gets back on an NFL roster.

    I think we'll see Brokeback and Cajuste in the spring league trying to get better ... I'll watch them.

    On to the Steelers...

    Zombo

    --I have a feeling Todd Haley's offense is going to surprise some people.

    Zombo said:

    It was hard watching the cuts. I'm sure HBO wanted one of their highlighted bubble guys to make it, but it's  not just reality TV ... it's real.

    I hope Orchard gets back on an NFL roster.

    I think we'll see Brokeback and Cajuste in the spring league trying to get better ... I'll watch them.

    On to the Steelers...

    Zombo

    --I have a feeling Todd Haley's offense is going to surprise some people.

    Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.

  • Zombo said:

    It was hard watching the cuts. I'm sure HBO wanted one of their highlighted bubble guys to make it, but it's  not just reality TV ... it's real.

    I hope Orchard gets back on an NFL roster.

    I think we'll see Brokeback and Cajuste in the spring league trying to get better ... I'll watch them.

    On to the Steelers...

    Zombo

    --I have a feeling Todd Haley's offense is going to surprise some people.

    Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.

    @mddawg said:

    Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.

    huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard 

  • @mddawg said:

    Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.

    huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard 

    @clevfan4life said:

    huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard 

    Did you watch the episode? Myles observed he was using one stance for the pass rush and another stance for run blocking then he'd guess during the play and switch. The problem with that is as Myles pointed out is you only have 2.5 seconds to reach target and will never get to the QB or the ball in time with that technique. This explains a lot of Orchard's inconsistency.

  • @mddawg said:

    Orchard deserves another shot as he obviously wasn't coached up by the Browns when he was switched from OLD to DE. Why do I say that? Myles Garrett teaching him the basics of his stance highlighted in this episode. Gregg Williams calling Ward stupid but couldn't pay attention to an OLB he switched positions.

    huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard 

    @clevfan4life said:

    huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard 

    I wonder if Pet would take a look at him in GB?

    I see he has a meeting with the Bills.

    Bills & Bucs ... two teams nibbling for our scraps ... are we better than two teams now?

    Zombo

  • @clevfan4life said:

    huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard 

    I wonder if Pet would take a look at him in GB?

    I see he has a meeting with the Bills.

    Bills & Bucs ... two teams nibbling for our scraps ... are we better than two teams now?

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Bills & Bucs ... two teams nibbling for our scraps ... are we better than two teams now?

    Zombo

    Yes, we're ranked 30th entering the season lol.

  • Zombo said:

    That's why they all got the call to see the Wolf.

    a/k/a "Mr Unfortunately"... as in, "Unfortunately we need you to come in today."

    Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.

    @tour2ma said:

    a/k/a "Mr Unfortunately"... as in, "Unfortunately we need you to come in today."

    Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.

    I think you're reading too much into it. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    a/k/a "Mr Unfortunately"... as in, "Unfortunately we need you to come in today."

    Every other HK team I can remember had the guys in the building pumping iron, getting treatment, etc... and we "called them in"... literally. Did not sit well with me.

    Made it easy for Hue though. Wolf gives them the bad news and then Hue gets them after it has all sunk in and consoles them. His catchphrase was "different direction".

    Z

    Zombo said:

    Made it easy for Hue though. Wolf gives them the bad news and then Hue gets them after it has all sunk in and consoles them. His catchphrase was "different direction".

    Z

    It wasn't that much different than what we've seen on past Hard Knocks. Just sayin

  • i read some time ago that pettine may live full time somewhere up around sandusky. He certainly got to sit at home fir a bunch of years and make the place look just right on hazzy's paycheck?

  • @clevfan4life said:

    huh? orchard was drafted by pettines regime and converted to olb'er. If anything going back to williams 43 was going home for orchard 

    Did you watch the episode? Myles observed he was using one stance for the pass rush and another stance for run blocking then he'd guess during the play and switch. The problem with that is as Myles pointed out is you only have 2.5 seconds to reach target and will never get to the QB or the ball in time with that technique. This explains a lot of Orchard's inconsistency.

    @mddawg said:

    Did you watch the episode? Myles observed he was using one stance for the pass rush and another stance for run blocking then he'd guess during the play and switch. The problem with that is as Myles pointed out is you only have 2.5 seconds to reach target and will never get to the QB or the ball in time with that technique. This explains a lot of Orchard's inconsistency.

    That scene made me wonder about our OL coach, Mr. Masarati. Why does another player have to notice this? Seems like they retain him for his barking belly.

  • @mddawg said:

    Did you watch the episode? Myles observed he was using one stance for the pass rush and another stance for run blocking then he'd guess during the play and switch. The problem with that is as Myles pointed out is you only have 2.5 seconds to reach target and will never get to the QB or the ball in time with that technique. This explains a lot of Orchard's inconsistency.

    That scene made me wonder about our OL coach, Mr. Masarati. Why does another player have to notice this? Seems like they retain him for his barking belly.

    @texasag1969 said:

    That scene made me wonder about our OL coach, Mr. Masarati. Why does another player have to notice this? Seems like they retain him for his barking belly.

    You mean the DL coach.

  • @mddawg said:

    Did you watch the episode? Myles observed he was using one stance for the pass rush and another stance for run blocking then he'd guess during the play and switch. The problem with that is as Myles pointed out is you only have 2.5 seconds to reach target and will never get to the QB or the ball in time with that technique. This explains a lot of Orchard's inconsistency.

    That scene made me wonder about our OL coach, Mr. Masarati. Why does another player have to notice this? Seems like they retain him for his barking belly.

    @texasag1969 said:

    That scene made me wonder about our OL coach, Mr. Masarati. Why does another player have to notice this? Seems like they retain him for his barking belly.

    Or his fantastic zoological analogies.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Well... Ep 5 just left me flat... a letdown on par with the final episode of The Sopranos.

    Biggest thing for me... the Process guy... was catching barely a glimpse of our player evaluation process. Other than a little Dorsey/Hue huddle in the beginning and a little of Dorsey at a white board a little later... nada.

    Then next it's Hue entering a room with his assembled staff to inform them of the cuts? Nary a hint of their involvement in the decision process.

    Now all this could be editing by HBO/NFL Films, but it is more likely just how it is... we have a top down, autocratic organization and those can only be as good as the guy at the top.

    Otherwise.... the contrast between Hue's "exit interviews" with cut players and those of past HK HCs was stark. Our "Mr.Nice Guy" practically had players apologizing to him for making him cut them...

    ... and no... the above is not a complement.

    I hated the Sopranos finale for years but once you actually understand it, it’s brilliant. I think the reason David Chase hasn’t said what happened is because it’s so obvious he’s mad at everyone for not getting it. There’s a pattern in the final scene that keeps showing different POVs, including Tony’s. We always get Tony’s POV as someone’s walking in. As soon as the suspected murderer walked in, it was time in the pattern to get Tony’s POV again. We got black instead. He died. 

    @wargograw said:

    I hated the Sopranos finale for years but once you actually understand it, it’s brilliant. I think the reason David Chase hasn’t said what happened is because it’s so obvious he’s mad at everyone for not getting it. There’s a pattern in the final scene that keeps showing different POVs, including Tony’s. We always get Tony’s POV as someone’s walking in. As soon as the suspected murderer walked in, it was time in the pattern to get Tony’s POV again. We got black instead. He died. 

    Except that I think it was merely his daughter that came in, to join the family for dinner.   The series ended with that family just having a nice dinner together, and that's it.    That's my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

  • Far to many flashbacks for me..*At a much smaller scale* !! I was called by HC Dan Simrell in 1983 to attempt a walk on TE position with the Toledo Rockets. Than I was called by the TE position coach to return unie & playbook 1 day after the spring game..Played with QB's AJ Sager/Jim Kelso-RB-Mel Tucker.. The 2 TE's that won the position were Glenn Burch & Scott Kadish..on the stat line not very impressive, but the team records that followed were 9-2 & 8-3-1..It never leaves ya,including  coaches & teammates..The true family connections of soon to be Mrs Roback and to MR. father Cajuste are so real.. Hard to watch for many, but HK did a great job capturing those moments throughout..Kudos & sure I'll be following what happens next..As a HC, I thought HueJax handled every player with respect in a tough spot for both.. 

  • Well... Ep 5 just left me flat... a letdown on par with the final episode of The Sopranos.

    Biggest thing for me... the Process guy... was catching barely a glimpse of our player evaluation process. Other than a little Dorsey/Hue huddle in the beginning and a little of Dorsey at a white board a little later... nada.

    Then next it's Hue entering a room with his assembled staff to inform them of the cuts? Nary a hint of their involvement in the decision process.

    Now all this could be editing by HBO/NFL Films, but it is more likely just how it is... we have a top down, autocratic organization and those can only be as good as the guy at the top.

    Otherwise.... the contrast between Hue's "exit interviews" with cut players and those of past HK HCs was stark. Our "Mr.Nice Guy" practically had players apologizing to him for making him cut them...

    ... and no... the above is not a complement.

    @tour2ma said:

    Biggest thing for me... the Process guy... was catching barely a glimpse of our player evaluation process. Other than a little Dorsey/Hue huddle in the beginning and a little of Dorsey at a white board a little later... nada.

    Then next it's Hue entering a room with his assembled staff to inform them of the cuts? Nary a hint of their involvement in the decision process.

    Now all this could be editing by HBO/NFL Films, but it is more likely just how it is... we have a top down, autocratic organization and those can only be as good as the guy at the top.

    Call Eliot Wolf "The Turk"😉 as a assistant GM i had no issue with Wolf making the calls..Orch seemed to be just outside the building? maybe no faces, but the leading names were there..Dorsey,Wolf sit as the kings. as for the queens would be 3 VP's of player personnel Berry,Highsmith,Kovash.Direct College scouting=Steve Malin,Glenn Cook..Direct pro scouts=Dan Saganey,Jim Noel..i've googled each,not bad but still passing Dorsey testing..Would not surprise me at all, if Scot McCloughan running a scouting agency that we hired in Feb. replaces Berry or Depo at some point? 

  • Soprano got wacked by the dude who went into the head before the screen went black.  Deal with it.  

  • I thought it was a bummer of an episode.

    Anyone notice Hue has a bowl of nothing on his office table? A big ol’ bowl with nothing in it. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    That scene made me wonder about our OL coach, Mr. Masarati. Why does another player have to notice this? Seems like they retain him for his barking belly.

    You mean the DL coach.

    @mddawg said:

    You mean the DL coach.

    Yes I did. I did not sleep much at all last night. I found out yesterday that my best friend from 11th grade in Venezuela had died just days before his 70th birthday. He's also a fellow Vietnam Vet and is buried in the Beaufort National Cemetery in S.C. I had talked to him for the first time in many years just a few short years ago and there was no mention of any health problems. RIP Mark Mulrain. A very good friend then and a good man all the rest of his life.

  • Soprano got wacked by the dude who went into the head before the screen went black.  Deal with it.  

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Soprano got wacked by the dude who went into the head before the screen went black.  Deal with it.  

    Ah.......No

  • Here's a little something for the table:

    My Take: Don't stop believing ... Life goes on for Tony.

    Ya, at some point he will bite it, but they aren't going to show it you, the series ends and Tony lives on in our minds...

  • Here's a little something for the table:

    My Take: Don't stop believing ... Life goes on for Tony.

    Ya, at some point he will bite it, but they aren't going to show it you, the series ends and Tony lives on in our minds...

    Zombo said:

    Here's a little something for the table:

    My Take: Don't stop believing ... Life goes on for Tony.

    Ya, at some point he will bite it, but they aren't going to show it you, the series ends and Tony lives on in our minds...

    After the disastrous response from the loyal viewing public the creator,writer,  producers realized and admitted they blew it!

    Worst finale in TV history.