Skip to content

No free beer thread

The Browns Board
27 13 890
  • @bobpound said:

    I am conflicted.. Bud isn't beer, so do I root for a win or that I don't have to drink Bud..

    I own the stock. Drink the f'n beer while you root for the Browns dammit.?

    @texasag1969 said:

    I own the stock. Drink the f'n beer while you root for the Browns dammit.?

    Sorry, I only drink "heavy" beers, no lite for this guy...  BTW, do they still sell Pearl Lite down Texas way? Closest thing I ever tasted to a babbling brook....   Evian in a can....   

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I own the stock. Drink the f'n beer while you root for the Browns dammit.?

    Sorry, I only drink "heavy" beers, no lite for this guy...  BTW, do they still sell Pearl Lite down Texas way? Closest thing I ever tasted to a babbling brook....   Evian in a can....   

    @hoorta said:

    Sorry, I only drink "heavy" beers, no lite for this guy...  BTW, do they still sell Pearl Lite down Texas way? Closest thing I ever tasted to a babbling brook....   Evian in a can....   

    I think it still survives but I haven't seen it. I like the "heavier" Shiner Bock.

  • im drinking a three creeks hoodoo voodoo brewed  out here in Oregon it's damn fine

    but a bud will do in a pinch and definitely if free so you call quit your goddamn fuking crying it's free

  • Dilly - Dilly!

    1A026F11-0DCB-47D9-9359-86AC98C603E6.jpeg

  • I am conflicted.. Bud isn't beer, so do I root for a win or that I don't have to drink Bud..

    @bobpound said:

    I am conflicted.. Bud isn't beer, so do I root for a win or that I don't have to drink Bud..

    It's free... you're trending from beer snob to beer prick.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I own the stock. Drink the f'n beer while you root for the Browns dammit.?

    Sorry, I only drink "heavy" beers, no lite for this guy...  BTW, do they still sell Pearl Lite down Texas way? Closest thing I ever tasted to a babbling brook....   Evian in a can....   

    @hoorta said:

    Sorry, I only drink "heavy" beers, no lite for this guy...  BTW, do they still sell Pearl Lite down Texas way? Closest thing I ever tasted to a babbling brook....   Evian in a can....   

    So I was down your way hoorta the last few days, went down to Cincinnati for a couple of Reds/Indians games and after the second game stopped in an Irish bar and decided to try the local beer - Rhinegheist "Truth" beer. Oh. Sweet. Jesus. Horrible! The Sheet had grapefruit and mango or something in it. Should have stuck with my Yuengling again. ?

    Did go to another joint in downtown Cincy - a Scottish establishment called 'Nicholson's'. Got a Scottish Belhaven Ale - absolutely delicious. Highly recommend it! 

  • I am conflicted.. Bud isn't beer, so do I root for a win or that I don't have to drink Bud..

    @bobpound said:

    I am conflicted.. Bud isn't beer, so do I root for a win or that I don't have to drink Bud..

    Ewwwww, Budwiezer. Low class domestic beverage.

  • @hoorta said:

    Sorry, I only drink "heavy" beers, no lite for this guy...  BTW, do they still sell Pearl Lite down Texas way? Closest thing I ever tasted to a babbling brook....   Evian in a can....   

    So I was down your way hoorta the last few days, went down to Cincinnati for a couple of Reds/Indians games and after the second game stopped in an Irish bar and decided to try the local beer - Rhinegheist "Truth" beer. Oh. Sweet. Jesus. Horrible! The Sheet had grapefruit and mango or something in it. Should have stuck with my Yuengling again. ?

    Did go to another joint in downtown Cincy - a Scottish establishment called 'Nicholson's'. Got a Scottish Belhaven Ale - absolutely delicious. Highly recommend it! 

    @dutch-oven said:

    So I was down your way hoorta the last few days, went down to Cincinnati for a couple of Reds/Indians games and after the second game stopped in an Irish bar and decided to try the local beer - Rhinegheist "Truth" beer. Oh. Sweet. Jesus. Horrible! The Sheet had grapefruit and mango or something in it. Should have stuck with my Yuengling again. ?

    Did go to another joint in downtown Cincy - a Scottish establishment called 'Nicholson's'. Got a Scottish Belhaven Ale - absolutely delicious. Highly recommend it! 

    At least you got to see a couple smear jobs the Tribe laid on the Reds. As the boards resident wino, back in the day we were called "wine snobs". Today there are most definitely "beer snobs". LOL, back in the '70s California wine producers got on a kick "I can out chardonnay or cabernet yours". You wound up with stuff that had the consistency of 5W-40 oil that looked like india ink, and was pretty much undrinkable. The craft brewers are now on the same kick- "I can out hop your beer". Yuck. Or as you sadly found out- put all kinds of fruit crap in. (I'm a beer purist, none of that extraneous junk in my brews.) Just wait another month or so for the pumpkin flavors to hit your local beverage store. 

    You should have asked- Rhinegheist is lousy. I'm waiting for the shakeout in local breweries. Talk about over saturating the market. I've lost track anymore of how many there are in the Dayton area. But way back in my college days, Cinci's Little Kings was a big hit. Now, I'm almost strictly a Great Lakes fan when I want a serious beer. The original, and still by far the best in my book. Just nothing over 30 IBU. 

    @mjp28 said:

    Ewwwww, Budwiezer. Low class domestic beverage.

    Yeah- the domestics sell a lot, but they do serve a purpose as a thirst quencher after you've been out on a 90 degree day for an hour cutting the grass. I dont get the mistique of that Chinese beer from Pennsylvania, Yen-Ling.  BTW, with the University of Dayton starting back up- the brew of choice for the college crowd is Natural Lite. My go-to beverage store has a wall of it ten feet wide stacked six feet high. Whatever floats your boat- and they sell enough of that junk to float a boat.  😁   

  • I hate Yuengling.  Taste like bo laced armpit sweat.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    So I was down your way hoorta the last few days, went down to Cincinnati for a couple of Reds/Indians games and after the second game stopped in an Irish bar and decided to try the local beer - Rhinegheist "Truth" beer. Oh. Sweet. Jesus. Horrible! The Sheet had grapefruit and mango or something in it. Should have stuck with my Yuengling again. ?

    Did go to another joint in downtown Cincy - a Scottish establishment called 'Nicholson's'. Got a Scottish Belhaven Ale - absolutely delicious. Highly recommend it! 

    At least you got to see a couple smear jobs the Tribe laid on the Reds. As the boards resident wino, back in the day we were called "wine snobs". Today there are most definitely "beer snobs". LOL, back in the '70s California wine producers got on a kick "I can out chardonnay or cabernet yours". You wound up with stuff that had the consistency of 5W-40 oil that looked like india ink, and was pretty much undrinkable. The craft brewers are now on the same kick- "I can out hop your beer". Yuck. Or as you sadly found out- put all kinds of fruit crap in. (I'm a beer purist, none of that extraneous junk in my brews.) Just wait another month or so for the pumpkin flavors to hit your local beverage store. 

    You should have asked- Rhinegheist is lousy. I'm waiting for the shakeout in local breweries. Talk about over saturating the market. I've lost track anymore of how many there are in the Dayton area. But way back in my college days, Cinci's Little Kings was a big hit. Now, I'm almost strictly a Great Lakes fan when I want a serious beer. The original, and still by far the best in my book. Just nothing over 30 IBU. 

    @mjp28 said:

    Ewwwww, Budwiezer. Low class domestic beverage.

    Yeah- the domestics sell a lot, but they do serve a purpose as a thirst quencher after you've been out on a 90 degree day for an hour cutting the grass. I dont get the mistique of that Chinese beer from Pennsylvania, Yen-Ling.  BTW, with the University of Dayton starting back up- the brew of choice for the college crowd is Natural Lite. My go-to beverage store has a wall of it ten feet wide stacked six feet high. Whatever floats your boat- and they sell enough of that junk to float a boat.  😁   

    @hoorta said:

    Yeah- the domestics sell a lot, but they do serve a purpose as a thirst quencher after you've been out on a 90 degree day for an hour cutting the grass. I dont get the mistique of that Chinese beer from Pennsylvania, Yen-Ling.  BTW, with the University of Dayton starting back up- the brew of choice for the college crowd is Natural Lite. My go-to beverage store has a wall of it ten feet wide stacked six feet high. Whatever floats your boat- and they sell enough of that junk to float a boat.  😁   

    Yes cheap(er) domestic beers do serve a purpose like when a roomful of relatives come over and you don't want them to finish off ALL of your good stuff. 😆

    Actually beer like many things are really subjective for example I think Coors is overrated some people love it. I'll drink Miller Lite occasionally other people might think it tastes like crap.

    I generally refuse to chat about religion or politics but food can be that other third rail like:

    List all the beers (or pizza) you love and ones you hate......and wait for the results, hmmmmmm, good idea try it go ahead!

  • Mexican beers does Seki’s or corona or Modelo

  • @dutch-oven said:

    So I was down your way hoorta the last few days, went down to Cincinnati for a couple of Reds/Indians games and after the second game stopped in an Irish bar and decided to try the local beer - Rhinegheist "Truth" beer. Oh. Sweet. Jesus. Horrible! The Sheet had grapefruit and mango or something in it. Should have stuck with my Yuengling again. ?

    Did go to another joint in downtown Cincy - a Scottish establishment called 'Nicholson's'. Got a Scottish Belhaven Ale - absolutely delicious. Highly recommend it! 

    At least you got to see a couple smear jobs the Tribe laid on the Reds. As the boards resident wino, back in the day we were called "wine snobs". Today there are most definitely "beer snobs". LOL, back in the '70s California wine producers got on a kick "I can out chardonnay or cabernet yours". You wound up with stuff that had the consistency of 5W-40 oil that looked like india ink, and was pretty much undrinkable. The craft brewers are now on the same kick- "I can out hop your beer". Yuck. Or as you sadly found out- put all kinds of fruit crap in. (I'm a beer purist, none of that extraneous junk in my brews.) Just wait another month or so for the pumpkin flavors to hit your local beverage store. 

    You should have asked- Rhinegheist is lousy. I'm waiting for the shakeout in local breweries. Talk about over saturating the market. I've lost track anymore of how many there are in the Dayton area. But way back in my college days, Cinci's Little Kings was a big hit. Now, I'm almost strictly a Great Lakes fan when I want a serious beer. The original, and still by far the best in my book. Just nothing over 30 IBU. 

    @mjp28 said:

    Ewwwww, Budwiezer. Low class domestic beverage.

    Yeah- the domestics sell a lot, but they do serve a purpose as a thirst quencher after you've been out on a 90 degree day for an hour cutting the grass. I dont get the mistique of that Chinese beer from Pennsylvania, Yen-Ling.  BTW, with the University of Dayton starting back up- the brew of choice for the college crowd is Natural Lite. My go-to beverage store has a wall of it ten feet wide stacked six feet high. Whatever floats your boat- and they sell enough of that junk to float a boat.  😁   

    @hoorta said:

    At least you got to see a couple smear jobs the Tribe laid on the Reds. As the boards resident wino, back in the day we were called "wine snobs". Today there are most definitely "beer snobs". LOL, back in the '70s California wine producers got on a kick "I can out chardonnay or cabernet yours. You wound up with stuff that had the consistency of 5W-40 oil that looked like india ink, and was pretty much undrinkable. The craft brewers are now on the same kick- "I can out hop your beer". Yuck. Or as you sadly found out- put all kinds of fruit crap in. (I'm a beer purist, none of that extraneous junk in my brews.) Just wait another month or so for the pumpkin flavors to hit your local beverage store. 

    You should have asked- Rhinegheist is lousy. I'm waiting for the shakeout in local breweries. Talk about over saturating the market. I've lost track anymore of how many there are in the Dayton area. But way back in my college days, Cinci's Little Kings was a big hit. Now, I'm almost strictly a Great Lakes fan when I want a serious beer. The original, and still by far the best in my book. Just nothing over 30 IBU. 

    Yeah- the domestics sell a lot, but they do serve a purpose as a thirst quencher after you've been out on a 90 degree day for an hour cutting the grass. I dont get the mistique of that Chinese beer from Pennsylvania, Yen-Ling.  BTW, with the University of Dayton starting back up- the brew of choice for the college crowd is Natural Lite. My go-to beverage store has a wall of it ten feet wide stacked six feet high. Whatever floats your boat- and they sell enough of that junk to float a boat.  😁   

    do they still make Bad Frog Beer ? I have a bottle of it cause I thought the label was cool anyone know how it tasted ?

  • @hoorta said:

    Yeah- the domestics sell a lot, but they do serve a purpose as a thirst quencher after you've been out on a 90 degree day for an hour cutting the grass. I dont get the mistique of that Chinese beer from Pennsylvania, Yen-Ling.  BTW, with the University of Dayton starting back up- the brew of choice for the college crowd is Natural Lite. My go-to beverage store has a wall of it ten feet wide stacked six feet high. Whatever floats your boat- and they sell enough of that junk to float a boat.  😁   

    Yes cheap(er) domestic beers do serve a purpose like when a roomful of relatives come over and you don't want them to finish off ALL of your good stuff. 😆

    Actually beer like many things are really subjective for example I think Coors is overrated some people love it. I'll drink Miller Lite occasionally other people might think it tastes like crap.

    I generally refuse to chat about religion or politics but food can be that other third rail like:

    List all the beers (or pizza) you love and ones you hate......and wait for the results, hmmmmmm, good idea try it go ahead!

    @mjp28 said:

    Yes cheap(er) domestic beers do serve a purpose like when a roomful of relatives come over and you don't want them to finish off ALL of your good stuff. 😆

    Actually beer like many things are really subjective for example I think Coors is overrated some people love it. I'll drink Miller Lite occasionally other people might think it tastes like crap.

    I generally refuse to chat about religion or politics but food can be that other third rail like:

    List all the beers (or pizza) you love and ones you hate......and wait for the results, hmmmmmm, good idea try it go ahead!

    I'll start my comments with Coors. Back in the early 70s Coors had cult status when it was only available in the West. We almost kissed the ground when we crossed the Wyoming state line for the first time in '71. Really, really distinctive back then. I could pick out Coors from a lineup of 5-6 other domestics without fail- and won a fair amount of money doing so. On the way back from a climbing trip stopped at one of the drive ups in Riverton Wyoming- guys asks us- what you want? Coors. How much? We'll tell you when the car is full. I swear when Coors went national- it's not the same as it was back then. I still pick up a six pack on occasion to reminisce.  

    Regarding Miller- I have one rule when it comes to beer- ABM Anything But Miller.  My opinion of Lite beers is when they took out the calories, they took out the flavor along with it. Except Miller Lite. All the flavor is there- and really bad. I won't drink one if it's the only beer at a party, give me a coke or some water instead. 

    I should- and will do- a rant on Bud's "Freedom Reserve" they've been selling this summer. Definite step up from regular Bud, but not really worth the extra $$$.  Don't go all all patriotic on me either- with the military donation capped at $500,000- peanuts for A-B. They spend five times that on Super Bowl commercials. 

    Now as to beers I drink, from the Great Lakes lineup Dormunder, Elliott Ness, Conway's seasonal, and an occasional Edmund Fitzgerald or Blackout stout. Just no to those hop monsters like Nosferatau. Imports? Dos Equis amber or several other Mexican brews (not Corona) in a Mexican restaurant. BTW, if you're ever in Dayton stop by Elsas (several locations) and have a Bad Juan margarita- people drive for miles to have one, and they blow the ones Maya serves up for Stan in Berea away. Pilsner Urquel, or most of the Belgian Abbey ales- St. Bernardus Abbot 10.   

    Several good pizza places in Dayton. Top of the line is Flying Pizza. Late night (till 4 AM) you can't beat Cousin Vinny's for price and quality.  When I'm up in Cleveland I like Romito's.  Of the National brands- Dominos is OK, but MHO is Pizza Hut should have gone out of business long ago, and Papa Johns isn't exactly great either.  

  • Rogue put's out a beer called Dust At The Tail ale it's dedicated The Battalion of the 189th (MEDEVAC)

    "WHAN I HAVE YOUR WOUNDED"

    oh & btw it's awesome tasting

  • @mjp28 said:

    Yes cheap(er) domestic beers do serve a purpose like when a roomful of relatives come over and you don't want them to finish off ALL of your good stuff. 😆

    Actually beer like many things are really subjective for example I think Coors is overrated some people love it. I'll drink Miller Lite occasionally other people might think it tastes like crap.

    I generally refuse to chat about religion or politics but food can be that other third rail like:

    List all the beers (or pizza) you love and ones you hate......and wait for the results, hmmmmmm, good idea try it go ahead!

    I'll start my comments with Coors. Back in the early 70s Coors had cult status when it was only available in the West. We almost kissed the ground when we crossed the Wyoming state line for the first time in '71. Really, really distinctive back then. I could pick out Coors from a lineup of 5-6 other domestics without fail- and won a fair amount of money doing so. On the way back from a climbing trip stopped at one of the drive ups in Riverton Wyoming- guys asks us- what you want? Coors. How much? We'll tell you when the car is full. I swear when Coors went national- it's not the same as it was back then. I still pick up a six pack on occasion to reminisce.  

    Regarding Miller- I have one rule when it comes to beer- ABM Anything But Miller.  My opinion of Lite beers is when they took out the calories, they took out the flavor along with it. Except Miller Lite. All the flavor is there- and really bad. I won't drink one if it's the only beer at a party, give me a coke or some water instead. 

    I should- and will do- a rant on Bud's "Freedom Reserve" they've been selling this summer. Definite step up from regular Bud, but not really worth the extra $$$.  Don't go all all patriotic on me either- with the military donation capped at $500,000- peanuts for A-B. They spend five times that on Super Bowl commercials. 

    Now as to beers I drink, from the Great Lakes lineup Dormunder, Elliott Ness, Conway's seasonal, and an occasional Edmund Fitzgerald or Blackout stout. Just no to those hop monsters like Nosferatau. Imports? Dos Equis amber or several other Mexican brews (not Corona) in a Mexican restaurant. BTW, if you're ever in Dayton stop by Elsas (several locations) and have a Bad Juan margarita- people drive for miles to have one, and they blow the ones Maya serves up for Stan in Berea away. Pilsner Urquel, or most of the Belgian Abbey ales- St. Bernardus Abbot 10.   

    Several good pizza places in Dayton. Top of the line is Flying Pizza. Late night (till 4 AM) you can't beat Cousin Vinny's for price and quality.  When I'm up in Cleveland I like Romito's.  Of the National brands- Dominos is OK, but MHO is Pizza Hut should have gone out of business long ago, and Papa Johns isn't exactly great either.  

    @hoorta said:

    Now as to beers I drink, from the Great Lakes lineup Dormunder, Elliott Ness, Conway's seasonal, and an occasional Edmund Fitzgerald or Blackout stout. 

    Now I noticed you did not mention Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Did you do this on purpose, because you agree with me that it is vastly overrated and tastes like someone ground up a poinsettia in a beer or was it just an oversight? 

  • Great marketing, but I too will be interested to see how the distribution of said free beer pans out. If it were my bar with one of em, I'd go a voucher basis (i.e. first 300 get a free beer). Although I'm just reading several of the fridges will be AT the stadium. How TF is that going to work?

  • @hoorta said:

    Now as to beers I drink, from the Great Lakes lineup Dormunder, Elliott Ness, Conway's seasonal, and an occasional Edmund Fitzgerald or Blackout stout. 

    Now I noticed you did not mention Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Did you do this on purpose, because you agree with me that it is vastly overrated and tastes like someone ground up a poinsettia in a beer or was it just an oversight? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Now I noticed you did not mention Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Did you do this on purpose, because you agree with me that it is vastly overrated and tastes like someone ground up a poinsettia in a beer or was it just an oversight? 

    It wasn't an oversight, I mentioned earlier I don't like any additive crap in my beers, I avoid flavored beers like the plague. Christmas Ale has Honey, ginger, cinnamon in it. Down Dayton way, we have a wonderful Chocolate store- Esther Price. They've won best chocolate in Ohio several times. Some genius found a way to not only ruin perfectly good chocolate, but beer on top of it, brewing "Esther's Little Secret". Beer with chocolate in it. Yuck. 

  • Great marketing, but I too will be interested to see how the distribution of said free beer pans out. If it were my bar with one of em, I'd go a voucher basis (i.e. first 300 get a free beer). Although I'm just reading several of the fridges will be AT the stadium. How TF is that going to work?

    @jrb12711 said:

    Great marketing, but I too will be interested to see how the distribution of said free beer pans out. If it were my bar with one of em, I'd go a voucher basis (i.e. first 300 get a free beer). Although I'm just reading several of the fridges will be AT the stadium. How TF is that going to work?

    Anyone here old enough to remember what happened at the Indians Dime beer night? Wow people getting crushed in the the stampede for the freebies...   

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/142952-ten-cent-beer-night-the-worst-idea-ever

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Great marketing, but I too will be interested to see how the distribution of said free beer pans out. If it were my bar with one of em, I'd go a voucher basis (i.e. first 300 get a free beer). Although I'm just reading several of the fridges will be AT the stadium. How TF is that going to work?

    Anyone here old enough to remember what happened at the Indians Dime beer night? Wow people getting crushed in the the stampede for the freebies...   

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/142952-ten-cent-beer-night-the-worst-idea-ever

    @hoorta said:

    Anyone here old enough to remember what happened at the Indians Dime beer night? Wow people getting crushed in the the stampede for the freebies...   

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/142952-ten-cent-beer-night-the-worst-idea-ever

    Definitely the first thing I thought of. According to this article: https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/08/browns_fans_free_beer_coming_t.html

    "Several of about 10 Bud Light Browns 'Victory Fridges' approximately 8 feet tall - "they're not small dorm sizes, they are full size," Goeler said - will be put inside FirstEnergy Stadium."

    Wouldn't this also violate the "no beer after the 3rd quarter" too? Putting those inside the stadium just seems really dumb to me. Even if you have an organized plan (say first 1000 fans get a voucher) you KNOW drunk fans are going to bull rush those fridges.

  • @hoorta said:

    Anyone here old enough to remember what happened at the Indians Dime beer night? Wow people getting crushed in the the stampede for the freebies...   

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/142952-ten-cent-beer-night-the-worst-idea-ever

    Definitely the first thing I thought of. According to this article: https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/08/browns_fans_free_beer_coming_t.html

    "Several of about 10 Bud Light Browns 'Victory Fridges' approximately 8 feet tall - "they're not small dorm sizes, they are full size," Goeler said - will be put inside FirstEnergy Stadium."

    Wouldn't this also violate the "no beer after the 3rd quarter" too? Putting those inside the stadium just seems really dumb to me. Even if you have an organized plan (say first 1000 fans get a voucher) you KNOW drunk fans are going to bull rush those fridges.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Definitely the first thing I thought of. According to this article: https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/08/browns_fans_free_beer_coming_t.html

    "Several of about 10 Bud Light Browns 'Victory Fridges' approximately 8 feet tall - "they're not small dorm sizes, they are full size," Goeler said - will be put inside FirstEnergy Stadium."

    Wouldn't this also violate the "no beer after the 3rd quarter" too? Putting those inside the stadium just seems really dumb to me. Even if you have an organized plan (say first 1000 fans get a voucher) you KNOW drunk fans are going to bull rush those fridges.

    I thought they were just gonna have those at bars around town where everyone was already  id'd I agree having em in the stadium is a bad idea