Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Barber Shop Talk
  3. What Are Your Top 5 All-time Novels?

What Are Your Top 5 All-time Novels?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Barber Shop Talk
29 Posts 8 Posters 869 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 23k Posts
    • 6k Reputation
    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    5. Centennial by James Michener. I lived in Greeley, Colo. (the real Centennial of the novel) going to grad school when this came out in 1974. Went to many of the locations where the novel takes place.

    4. Shogun-one cliffhanger after another at the end of every chapter while slowly immersing the reader in another culture

    3. 1984-Most relevant to today's "propaganda politics".

    2. Moby finger - so deep in so many ways plus a look at a way of life now in the past.

    1. To Kill A Mockingbird-growing up in the south learning about hunting, killing a real mockingbird was considered a great sin and it is protected as the state bird of Texas. Also the clear message about the sin of prejudice/racism is just as powerful now as it was when this came out 4 years before the Civil Rights bill was signed by Texan LBJ in 1964.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
      • 28k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by DieHardBrownsFan
      #2

      5.  The Confessions, by Saint Augustine

      4.  The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas A. Kempis

      3.  Life Is a Dream, by Pedro Calderun De La Barca

      2.  Great Again, Donald Trump

      1.  Salems Lot, Stephen King.

      "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
      T 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan

        5.  The Confessions, by Saint Augustine

        4.  The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas A. Kempis

        3.  Life Is a Dream, by Pedro Calderun De La Barca

        2.  Great Again, Donald Trump

        1.  Salems Lot, Stephen King.

        TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 23k Posts
        • 6k Reputation
        T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @diehardbrownsfan said:

        5.  The Confessions, by Saint Augustine

        4.  The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas A. Kempis

        3.  Life Is a Dream, by Pedro Calderun De La Barca

        2.  Great Again, Donald Trump

        1.  Salems Lot, Stephen King.

        I'm taking a copy of St. Augstine's Confessions on audio CD with me on our trip back to Colo. in Sept. Hopefully my wife will not complain too much. I told her I needed a "newsbreak" from all the news stations on Sirius. I have never read it nor listened to the audio, but it is on my bucket list.

        And I see you realize that Trump writes fictional novels as implied by the title of the thread.?

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
          • 64k Posts
          • 8k Reputation
          C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
          #4

          "Hound of the Baskervilles" Conan Doyle

          "Mystery of Cabin Island" and all the rest of the Hardy Boys books that I collect.

          my own novel, officially printed in three copies.

          westerns by Zane Grey

          "Dances with Wolves"

          T 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • C calfoxwc

            "Hound of the Baskervilles" Conan Doyle

            "Mystery of Cabin Island" and all the rest of the Hardy Boys books that I collect.

            my own novel, officially printed in three copies.

            westerns by Zane Grey

            "Dances with Wolves"

            TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 23k Posts
            • 6k Reputation
            T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @calfoxwc said:

            westerns by Zane Grey

            "Dances with Wolves"

            I think you would love "Centennial". A lot of the mountain man trapper trader history in it. Can you spot the Beaver on the mountain? It's in the novel. Look at where the tip of the sign post is pointing upwards which is the Long's Peak summit. Ignore the peak on the far right side of the picture that is only half captured. Then to the left of the top of Long's Peak you can see a notch. The beavers nose is the tip of the left side and his head slopes to the left. Then you can see the hump of his back with a small elongated dip that starts the beginning of the tail which is a little darker color of rock than the rest of the rock just below him. Once you can see the body you can barely make out what might pass for the right upper and lower legs dangling down under on the side of the mountain. That part is a bit of a stretch though. So what you see is the right profile of a beaver laying on the mountain to the side of the Long's Peak summit in RMNP, once a major source of beaver pelts in the olden days. Once you actually see the beaver you can't un-see it. LOL!

            Image result for longs peak beaver
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
              • 64k Posts
              • 8k Reputation
              C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
              #6

              I admit, not seein it. I see Jabba the Hutt.

              jabba-the-hutt-gif-10-1.gif

              Image result for longs peak beaver
              T 2 Replies Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • C calfoxwc

                I admit, not seein it. I see Jabba the Hutt.

                jabba-the-hutt-gif-10-1.gif

                Image result for longs peak beaver
                TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 23k Posts
                • 6k Reputation
                T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @calfoxwc said:

                I admit, not seein it. I see Jabba the Hutt.

                LOL! I hiked to the top of Lilly Mountain and had my brother take a picture of my finger on the nose of the Beaver the next ridge over pointing to the rest of it because for 40+ years I could never get my wife to be able to "see" the beaver. Now she does.

                mjp28M 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • T TexasAg1969

                  @calfoxwc said:

                  I admit, not seein it. I see Jabba the Hutt.

                  LOL! I hiked to the top of Lilly Mountain and had my brother take a picture of my finger on the nose of the Beaver the next ridge over pointing to the rest of it because for 40+ years I could never get my wife to be able to "see" the beaver. Now she does.

                  mjp28 mjp28M In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                  • 18k Posts
                  • 4k Reputation
                  mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @texasag1969 said:

                  LOL! I hiked to the top of Lilly Mountain and had my brother take a picture of my finger on the nose of the Beaver the next ridge over pointing to the rest of it because for 40+ years I could never get my wife to be able to "see" the beaver. Now she does.

                  Doesn't really take very long to see it....looks like someone with a massive chisel carved it out of the surrounding rock.

                  GO BUCKEYES, BROWNS, INDIANS, CAVS, YSU, NAVY and yes I like ND!
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  👍
                  Quote Reply
                  • C calfoxwc

                    I admit, not seein it. I see Jabba the Hutt.

                    jabba-the-hutt-gif-10-1.gif

                    Image result for longs peak beaver
                    TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 23k Posts
                    • 6k Reputation
                    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @calfoxwc said:

                    I admit, not seein it.

                    Here's a better way to see it in Braille cal ?, though they did not quite bracket the tail which is part of the next hump to the left of the bracket. Refer to the next picture to see the tail more defined.

                    Image result for beaver on longs peak
                     
                    This has a better view closer up. Now can you see the tail as a darker rock than the layer below it?
                     
                    Related image
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                      • 39k Posts
                      • 9k Reputation
                      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                      #10

                      The Godfather by Mario Puzo even though Francis Ford Coppola pretty much wrote it and hired a novelist to put it all together so I hear.

                      Of course Lord of the Rings a masterpiece  I've read many many times.

                      Needful Things by Stephen King.

                      All these years the mark lewisohn trilogy on the history of The Beatles. I wish you'd get off his butt and release the second book.

                      It's been a long time but I really did like Shogun also Trinity by Leon Uris.

                      The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett is one of my favorites.

                      I've enjoyed every one of the Bernard Cornwell series The Last Kingdom.

                      I have read and enjoyed every book by Harlan Coben.

                      I just finished Chesapeake speaking of James Michener and have thought about reading Centennial.

                      Animal farm and A Clockwork Orange are among my favorites.

                      Can't really nail on a top-five I guess.

                      WSS

                      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                      T 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                        • 64k Posts
                        • 8k Reputation
                        C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                        #11
                         
                        This has a better view closer up. Now can you see the tail as a darker rock than the layer below it? Tex
                        ***************************************************************
                            eh.....okay....I'm starting to get tired of staring at it...maybe I kiinda see a groundhog, but no beaver....... lol
                        oh,
                        and btw, about novels - when I was in the service, I read Tolkein's trilogy about the Hobbit. Fascinating fiction, amazing story.
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • W Westside Steve

                          The Godfather by Mario Puzo even though Francis Ford Coppola pretty much wrote it and hired a novelist to put it all together so I hear.

                          Of course Lord of the Rings a masterpiece  I've read many many times.

                          Needful Things by Stephen King.

                          All these years the mark lewisohn trilogy on the history of The Beatles. I wish you'd get off his butt and release the second book.

                          It's been a long time but I really did like Shogun also Trinity by Leon Uris.

                          The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett is one of my favorites.

                          I've enjoyed every one of the Bernard Cornwell series The Last Kingdom.

                          I have read and enjoyed every book by Harlan Coben.

                          I just finished Chesapeake speaking of James Michener and have thought about reading Centennial.

                          Animal farm and A Clockwork Orange are among my favorites.

                          Can't really nail on a top-five I guess.

                          WSS

                          TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 23k Posts
                          • 6k Reputation
                          T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @westside-steve said:

                          Get really nailed on a top-five I guess.

                          WSS

                          I know. It's tough to rule some out. I had to do that with East of Eden, The Godfather and the best short novel ever IMO, Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                            • 57k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper

                            Beyond that I like series:

                            The Dune Series...by Frank Herbert...and then by his son plus Brian Anderson

                            Bernard Cornwell...as Steve said, did several series:   The Saxon Tales (The Last Kingdom)   The Richard Sharpe series (Napoleanic War stories), The Warlord Chronicles.   The Holy Grail Series.   He also did a great stand alone novel on Agincourt.

                            I have enjoyed all the Dan Brown books,  but, they have become formulaic.

                            And also the Lord of the Rings series.

                            W mjp28M 2 Replies Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • The GipperT The Gipper

                              Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper

                              Beyond that I like series:

                              The Dune Series...by Frank Herbert...and then by his son plus Brian Anderson

                              Bernard Cornwell...as Steve said, did several series:   The Saxon Tales (The Last Kingdom)   The Richard Sharpe series (Napoleanic War stories), The Warlord Chronicles.   The Holy Grail Series.   He also did a great stand alone novel on Agincourt.

                              I have enjoyed all the Dan Brown books,  but, they have become formulaic.

                              And also the Lord of the Rings series.

                              Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                              • 39k Posts
                              • 9k Reputation
                              W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @the-gipper said:

                              Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper

                              Beyond that I like series:

                              The Dune Series...by Frank Herbert...and then by his son plus Brian Anderson

                              Bernard Cornwell...as Steve said, did several series:   The Saxon Tales (The Last Kingdom)   The Richard Sharpe series (Napoleanic War stories), The Warlord Chronicles.   The Holy Grail Series.   He also did a great stand alone novel on Agincourt.

                              I have enjoyed all the Dan Brown books,  but, they have become formulaic.

                              And also the Lord of the Rings series.

                              Come to think of it I liked Cornwell's King Arthur series better than the last Kingdom, but like them both a lot.

                              WSS

                              www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                              The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • W Westside Steve

                                @the-gipper said:

                                Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper

                                Beyond that I like series:

                                The Dune Series...by Frank Herbert...and then by his son plus Brian Anderson

                                Bernard Cornwell...as Steve said, did several series:   The Saxon Tales (The Last Kingdom)   The Richard Sharpe series (Napoleanic War stories), The Warlord Chronicles.   The Holy Grail Series.   He also did a great stand alone novel on Agincourt.

                                I have enjoyed all the Dan Brown books,  but, they have become formulaic.

                                And also the Lord of the Rings series.

                                Come to think of it I liked Cornwell's King Arthur series better than the last Kingdom, but like them both a lot.

                                WSS

                                The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                • 57k Posts
                                • 4k Reputation
                                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @westside-steve said:

                                Come to think of it I liked Cornwell's King Arthur series better than the last Kingdom, but like them both a lot.

                                WSS

                                Cornwell himself thinks that the King Arthur series was his best work.  But, FYI, in his series, I do not believe that Arthur was ever actually King. It was Uther, then Mordred (who was also a son of Uther). 

                                Just FYI for those not familiar......The Warlord Chronicles is Cornwell's version of what the history of (King) Arthur could actually have been like... no sorcery or magic involved.  There is mysticism, what with Merlin being the head Druid priest.  But no actual magic.   

                                What it actually is is story of the original Britons struggle against the invading  Angles and Saxons, circa between 400-500 AD.  In a certain sense, the Saxon Tales are a somewhat sequel series, because they depict the Angle/Saxons struggles against the invading Danes and Norsemen.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                  • 64k Posts
                                  • 8k Reputation
                                  C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  say, I have an idea.

                                  I could post my wild and crazy medieval short novel again...Sir Calfox is still out there....🙄

                                  The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • C calfoxwc

                                    say, I have an idea.

                                    I could post my wild and crazy medieval short novel again...Sir Calfox is still out there....🙄

                                    The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                    • 57k Posts
                                    • 4k Reputation
                                    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @calfoxwc said:

                                    say, I have an idea.

                                    I could post my wild and crazy medieval short novel again...Sir Calfox is still out there....🙄

                                    Nothing says you can't.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • The GipperT The Gipper

                                      Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper

                                      Beyond that I like series:

                                      The Dune Series...by Frank Herbert...and then by his son plus Brian Anderson

                                      Bernard Cornwell...as Steve said, did several series:   The Saxon Tales (The Last Kingdom)   The Richard Sharpe series (Napoleanic War stories), The Warlord Chronicles.   The Holy Grail Series.   He also did a great stand alone novel on Agincourt.

                                      I have enjoyed all the Dan Brown books,  but, they have become formulaic.

                                      And also the Lord of the Rings series.

                                      mjp28 mjp28M In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                      • 18k Posts
                                      • 4k Reputation
                                      mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @the-gipper said:

                                      Last of the Mohicans, James Fenimore Cooper

                                      Beyond that I like series:

                                      The Dune Series...by Frank Herbert...and then by his son plus Brian Anderson

                                      Bernard Cornwell...as Steve said, did several series:   The Saxon Tales (The Last Kingdom)   The Richard Sharpe series (Napoleanic War stories), The Warlord Chronicles.   The Holy Grail Series.   He also did a great stand alone novel on Agincourt.

                                      I have enjoyed all the Dan Brown books,  but, they have become formulaic.

                                      And also the Lord of the Rings series.

                                      Anybody watching the current PBS series the great American read?

                                      THE GREAT AMERICAN READ is an eight-part series that explores and celebrates the power of reading, told through the prism of America’s 100 best-loved novels (as chosen in a national survey)*.  It investigates how and why writers create their fictional worlds, how we as readers are affected by these stories, and what these 100 different books have to say about our diverse nation and our shared human experience.  

                                      The television series features entertaining and informative documentary segments, with compelling testimonials from celebrities, authors, notable Americans and book lovers across the country. It is comprised of a two-hour launch episode in which the list of 100 books is revealed, five one-hour theme episodes that examine concepts common to groups of books on the list, and a finale, in which the results are announced of a nationwide vote to choose America’s best-loved book.........  

                                      GO BUCKEYES, BROWNS, INDIANS, CAVS, YSU, NAVY and yes I like ND!
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                        • 64k Posts
                                        • 8k Reputation
                                        C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        so, my brotherinlaw printed me three copies of my novel. Two friends have read it - they really liked it -

                                        had all sorts of notes, per my request, reported on it. lol.

                                        some mistakes here and there, etc, a word here and there, maybe three run-on-sentences...

                                        but i've fixed those.

                                        Now, to get a formal copyright and an ISBN number. Then I'll sell it to a movie producer for millions ,and we're set.

                                        But I have to go work out on the farm today, I've been installing lights and painting edges of walls for a couple of days - got half of today off.

                                        mjp28M 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • C calfoxwc

                                          so, my brotherinlaw printed me three copies of my novel. Two friends have read it - they really liked it -

                                          had all sorts of notes, per my request, reported on it. lol.

                                          some mistakes here and there, etc, a word here and there, maybe three run-on-sentences...

                                          but i've fixed those.

                                          Now, to get a formal copyright and an ISBN number. Then I'll sell it to a movie producer for millions ,and we're set.

                                          But I have to go work out on the farm today, I've been installing lights and painting edges of walls for a couple of days - got half of today off.

                                          mjp28 mjp28M In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                          • 18k Posts
                                          • 4k Reputation
                                          mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @calfoxwc said:

                                          so, my brotherinlaw printed me three copies of my novel. Two friends have read it - they really liked it -

                                          had all sorts of notes, per my request, reported on it. lol.

                                          some mistakes here and there, etc, a word here and there, maybe three run-on-sentences...

                                          but i've fixed those.

                                          Now, to get a formal copyright and an ISBN number. Then I'll sell it to a movie producer for millions ,and we're set.

                                          But I have to go work out on the farm today, I've been installing lights and painting edges of walls for a couple of days - got half of today off.

                                          Used to be a big and somewhat expensive deal getting anything published now with today's software you can publish one book......if you want.

                                          Now making a movie is another $$$$$ story.

                                          GO BUCKEYES, BROWNS, INDIANS, CAVS, YSU, NAVY and yes I like ND!
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate