Skip to content

New ccw

Barber Shop Talk
89 6 3.8k 1
  • you need edumatcated. You are talking about "flop house".

    A flip house is when you buy a fixer-upper, and completely redo it - take out walls, empty the entire kitchen, replace with all new design,

    same thing with bathrooms, lights, add a big deck, new doors, new garage doors, etc etc etc.

    It's a lot of work.

  • you need edumatcated. You are talking about "flop house".

    A flip house is when you buy a fixer-upper, and completely redo it - take out walls, empty the entire kitchen, replace with all new design,

    same thing with bathrooms, lights, add a big deck, new doors, new garage doors, etc etc etc.

    It's a lot of work.

    @calfoxwc said:

    you need edumatcated. You are talking about "flop house".

    A flip house is when you buy a fixer-upper, and completely redo it - take out walls, empty the entire kitchen, replace with all new design,

    same thing with bathrooms, lights, add a big deck, new doors, new garage doors, etc etc etc.

    It's a lot of work.

    No wonder. As a retired person with zero mechanical skills or interests, I'm allergic to that kind of work. I have trouble enough using these damn smart phones to call someone to come fix "stuff".?

    I do still mow my yard without the use of a mowing tractor though.?

  • I have to be careful with the work. I still got it, and showing off for my wonderful cute Wife just comes naturally.

    although, I've gotten banged up a few times.

    One time, I was taking out a wall, at a flip house, and was hammering studs off the framing, and popped those 2 x 4's like I was still 35.

    I got to the last one, and for good measure, I really slammed it with the sledge, and ended up on the floor. The top of the stupid stud wasn't nailed in like all the others, and the top swung around and down and hit me in the head.

        Okay, that isn't funny, dammit. Some years ago, I showed her that I still had it , I could STILL "work ALL day long" - and it was ten PM, I was working in the garden....but I had to quit because it started to rain. But as I left the garden, I slipped in some mud, and fell directly on my elbow, and completely tore a rotator cuff ligment. So, I got inside, and tried to stay quiet and not let her know. But, she came in fast from her computer, and even before she came around the corner, she was asking how I got hurt.

       Amazing. She said she knew I was hurt because I was so quiet. So, had surgery to put it back together again, and I can still throw hay bales.

       Life is wonderful.

  • You've got a keeper there cal.

    EDIT-BTW speaking of still got it, I have noticed that my siblings and daughter are becoming more concerned about my long hikes in RMNP on my own. Hearing things like "go with other people" (None of them can keep up with me), "buy a GPS locator", "do you think you should stay off those higher trails", etc. My standard answer is that I still am capable of playing 2-3 hours of an aerobic sport 6 days a week 2-3 hours at a time and that I have always taken a preventative aspirin just in case as well as carry some with me. More recently I told them I take a couple of very lightweight O2 bottles along if I start to feel dizzy or experience any chest pain. I now also tell them exactly which trail I am taking and for what distance and an approximate time to expect me to return. 

    But they don't seem to get it that at 71+ life is short and I'm squeezing every last drop of enjoyment out of it just like I have always done (ex-skydiving jumpmaster, ex-infantry) and that there are far worse ways to die than on a long hike up in the outdoors that I love. A nursing home scares me far worse than dropping dead on a long wilderness hike. I've worked on a nursing home unit at the VA. Just f'n shoot me!

  • Yep. except for the skydiving. Only people who do that have screws loose. Like dancing in front of a black mamba or something - "yeah, it's a thrill, man, and I've done it x amount ot times so it's safe"

    until you get bit one day.

    anyways, I always have told my Wife, if anything ever happens to me, and I need to be in a nursing home/assisted living, don't ever put me in one.

       Just put me in a tent in the woods so I can watch the squirrels, preferably at the edge of a big fishing pond and let me go.

  • You've got a keeper there cal.

    EDIT-BTW speaking of still got it, I have noticed that my siblings and daughter are becoming more concerned about my long hikes in RMNP on my own. Hearing things like "go with other people" (None of them can keep up with me), "buy a GPS locator", "do you think you should stay off those higher trails", etc. My standard answer is that I still am capable of playing 2-3 hours of an aerobic sport 6 days a week 2-3 hours at a time and that I have always taken a preventative aspirin just in case as well as carry some with me. More recently I told them I take a couple of very lightweight O2 bottles along if I start to feel dizzy or experience any chest pain. I now also tell them exactly which trail I am taking and for what distance and an approximate time to expect me to return. 

    But they don't seem to get it that at 71+ life is short and I'm squeezing every last drop of enjoyment out of it just like I have always done (ex-skydiving jumpmaster, ex-infantry) and that there are far worse ways to die than on a long hike up in the outdoors that I love. A nursing home scares me far worse than dropping dead on a long wilderness hike. I've worked on a nursing home unit at the VA. Just f'n shoot me!

    @texasag1969 said:

    But they don't seem to get it that at 71+ life is short and I'm squeezing every last drop of enjoyment out of it just like I have always done (ex-skydiving jumpmaster, ex-infantry) and that there are far worse ways to die than on a long hike up in the outdoors that I love. A nursing home scares me far worse than dropping dead on a long wilderness hike. I've worked on a nursing home unit at the VA. Just f'n shoot me!

    We just started checking out nursing homes for the wife's mother, she's 94 just sold her house and car when she was 93 amazing woman......never sick. Lives with her sister now.

    BUT "those places" have gotten way worse, unbelievably expensive  (one was above average at $6,367/mo, the rest no published prices.). My wife just retired after 41 years in a hospital, they're bad now.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Yeah, keep your favorite gun handy. 😳

  • @texasag1969 said:

    But they don't seem to get it that at 71+ life is short and I'm squeezing every last drop of enjoyment out of it just like I have always done (ex-skydiving jumpmaster, ex-infantry) and that there are far worse ways to die than on a long hike up in the outdoors that I love. A nursing home scares me far worse than dropping dead on a long wilderness hike. I've worked on a nursing home unit at the VA. Just f'n shoot me!

    We just started checking out nursing homes for the wife's mother, she's 94 just sold her house and car when she was 93 amazing woman......never sick. Lives with her sister now.

    BUT "those places" have gotten way worse, unbelievably expensive  (one was above average at $6,367/mo, the rest no published prices.). My wife just retired after 41 years in a hospital, they're bad now.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Yeah, keep your favorite gun handy. 😳

    @mjp28 said:

    We just started checking out nursing homes for the wife's mother, she's 94 just sold her house and car when she was 93 amazing woman......never sick. Lives with her sister now.

    BUT "those places" have gotten way worse, unbelievably expensive  (one was above average at $6,367/mo, the rest no published prices.). My wife just retired after 41 years in a hospital, they're bad now.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Yeah, keep your favorite gun handy. 😳

    I joke with my kids to just take me down to the coast along with my Hobie Sailing Kayak trimaran (Hobie Adventure Island)and allow me to set sail for Cuba. I'd sooner get marooned on Matagorda island than live in misery in a nursing home. My genetics are against me. Youngest grandparent to die was 86, two oldest 95 and 98 (both in nursing homes their last months of life). It's the biggest scam they have going against the BabyBoomers. Steal their life savings so their kids get nothing. One of the reasons I'm invested in a fairly expensive home is that under Texas spousal impoverishment Medicaid laws, you cannot touch the homestead nor half the savings if the other spouse is still living.

  • Father-in-law was in the Navy - got about 1400-1800 a month to help pay for the new digs from a VA program.

  • Father-in-law was in the Navy - got about 1400-1800 a month to help pay for the new digs from a VA program.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Father-in-law was in the Navy - got about 1400-1800 a month to help pay for the new digs from a VA program.

    I'm guessing he had a higher level service connected disability that qualified him for that.

    Back to the death getting closer deal, I said on a different thread that I found out two days ago my best friend from 11th grade in Venezuela died and was buried in the Veteran's National Cemetery in Beaufort, S.C. Now I am beginning to appreciate what my old granny that lived to 98 told me about everyone she ever knew leaving before she did, including all 11 siblings.

    So get a two man tent out there cal. We can talk each other to death while popping squirrels for dinner. LOL!?

  • lol.

    Nope, no disability. Check into it in about 15 years or so....🙄

  • lol.

    Nope, no disability. Check into it in about 15 years or so....🙄

    @calfoxwc said:

    lol.

    Nope, no disability. Check into it in about 15 years or so....🙄

    Will they give me a bigger tent? Promise to share as long as the squirrels last.?

  • Add to your ammo collection for the coming Zombie/Werewolf Apocalypse.?? 

    https://www.moneymetals.com/buy/silver/bullets

  • I have thousands of the .357 mag.  I'm ready.

  • I have thousands of the .357 mag.  I'm ready.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I have thousands of the .357 mag.  I'm ready.

    Now all you need is post-Apocalypse money

    https://www.providentmetals.com/proof-zombucks-murk-diem-1-oz-silver-round.html

  • I have thousands of the .357 mag.  I'm ready.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I have thousands of the .357 mag.  I'm ready.

    Can you eat them?

  • Only if you pull the trigger.

  • Only if you pull the trigger.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Only if you pull the trigger.

    Then you won't have to worry about where your next meal comes from.

  • UPDATE:

      My target area is finished. Drilled the post holes, planted the two posts, nailed in the 4 x 8 5/8 exterior plywood,

    2' off the ground, put in two rows of old big cottonwood chunks at the gap in the bottom, put in three rows of old hay bales on the front and back, up to the top of the plywood.

       Should be safe enough... shoots into a hillside about 8 yrds behind it, and trees. I'll place a thin 4x8 sheet of something behind it later to see if anything came through. lol.

      But I did finally shoot my new Walther. It's awesome. I taught our friends' kids how to shoot years ago...they are adults now.

    safety safety x 100, and she wanted to come out to shoot with me. This 9mm is awesome. The new design - a chamber that dissipates the gases from firing a round, works brilliantly. My ccw instructor is going to come out and give me some advanced training, hence the big target jobbie.

       My SCCP 9mm kicked a lot - didn't fit my hand, and everybody who shot it didn't like it, including our close friends' daughter who just graduated from college who came out again this time.

       But she loves to shoot this Walther ccp. The only gripe she had, was the texture on the Walther grip - it was a bit rough.I shot the first eight rounds, and it was amazing how much less recoil there is. It's said to be about 25% percent less. I believe it.   She shot three straight mags with it, and had great fun. She and I agreed, that we could probably easily shoot this ccp m2 with either hand by itself. I'm not going to try that yet.

    After she shot it a few times, she said she was just gripping so hard - bracing for the kick that she expected, but never got. She said the grip texture was fine. She loved it, kept shooting. We shot 72 rounds in about 15 minutes, and you could tell that the chamber area just in front of the trigger guard, was starting to get uncomfortably warm. That is one drawback? to this new design - it will heat up after a while - (sooner than other guns?) but the recoil is much less - I could rapid fire and stay close on target with each shot.

       With my friend's 40..or 45, pistol, it was like a civil war cannon going off. This 9mm is great. Can't wait to try shooting it with one hand - what if you had an injured arm, or had a bear chomping on your other arm?

      Saw a great little gun some weeks ago. A Taurus? .22 semi-automatic for 210 bucks. Load the clip, breech load one into the chamber, and you are ready to semi-auto all shots. I want one. Maybe preferably .22 magnum.

  • Get yourself licensed/insured and open up the range for business.

    My idea was to just set up a few old hay bales and plink away. LOL!?

    If you get the Taurus let me know how it works out. Sounds like the Walther was the perfect 9mm for you.

    I had a similar reaction to the Ruger. Much, much easier to shoot with far less recoil than the Kel-Tec P-11 9mm I had stolen from me. Plus about a 5-6 lb. trigger pull vs 13+. That thing sucked bigtime.

  • Is that the Ruger lc9? Nice little gun.

    and I couldn't read what the second one was, but it looks bigtime classy.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Is that the Ruger lc9? Nice little gun.

    and I couldn't read what the second one was, but it looks bigtime classy.

    The first one is a Ruger 9e. The second one is a Browning hi-power