Peppers
-
im hoping williams can slowly start creeping him closer to the box when he understands how to recover better. Thats when he might become one of the most important players on the D.
-
I don't have much issue with how Peppers has played thus far this pre-season.
So long as he continues to clean up angles and keep his head up tackling. He's been playing over top of flexed out TE's, a WR to the boundary on occasion and I think he picked up smallwood a few times vs Philly.
I'm in a wait and see. Do I like how high we drafted a utility player like that? Not really. But if he continues to bring some value to this defense then that mindset of feeling like you overpaid will diminish in time.
-
Peppers sucks. Went to University of Michigan. Nuff said.
-
I think Peppers has a lot of potential and I hope Greg Williams can figure out a way to use it best.
Number two damn straight we need help at guard. I always pound the drum for elite guards.
Third one? What you only had 2 and Need to stick in a cliche?
WSS
-
I think Peppers has a lot of potential and I hope Greg Williams can figure out a way to use it best.
Number two damn straight we need help at guard. I always pound the drum for elite guards.
Third one? What you only had 2 and Need to stick in a cliche?
WSS
I think Peppers has a lot of potential and I hope Greg Williams can figure out a way to use it best.
Number two damn straight we need help at guard. I always pound the drum for elite guards.
Third one? What you only had 2 and Need to stick in a cliche?
WSS
Ya, we are thin at guard depth because we moved one of our two elite guards to Tackle. Right Guard will be fine with mauler Zeitler, LG depends on Corbett's development, hopefully he is as smart as he is big.
Drango Unchained is our third guard, but I fell they may find something better out there somewhere next week,.
Zombo
-
I think Peppers has a lot of potential and I hope Greg Williams can figure out a way to use it best.
Number two damn straight we need help at guard. I always pound the drum for elite guards.
Third one? What you only had 2 and Need to stick in a cliche?
WSS
Ya, we are thin at guard depth because we moved one of our two elite guards to Tackle. Right Guard will be fine with mauler Zeitler, LG depends on Corbett's development, hopefully he is as smart as he is big.
Drango Unchained is our third guard, but I fell they may find something better out there somewhere next week,.
Zombo
Zombo said:
Ya, we are thin at guard depth because we moved one of our two elite guards to Tackle. Right Guard will be fine with mauler Zeitler, LG depends on Corbett's development, hopefully he is as smart as he is big.
Drango Unchained is our third guard, but I fell they may find something better out there somewhere next week,.
Zombo
I would have given TT a quarter to call Ritchie Ingognito..till he went bat'chit crazy..
-
You asked how he had no real experience covering TEs. I told you. What he did and didn't do at Michigan isn't irrelevant in that regard. It also does translate. The game is evolving and those same skills are more important. We have a DC that can take advantage of it.
Less valuable in your opinion.
A slot CB would not be as useful if you still want to provide a blitzes threat and run support.
Sure, every DC would prefer all pros across their roster, but that's not happening. If you think Williams had no input on us drafting him you're crazy.
no, the skills he showed at michigan are not the direction the game is evolving. Thats why the pick was mostly panned at the time, and thats why it is panned even more in hindsight as we saw his 'skills' in 2017.
It's clear the direction across the nfl is not too add more guys in the secondary/safety with linebacker skill sets primarily.
Look at tre boston....he's a strong safety that is just a much better version of even a realistically optimistic version of what Peppers may be this year, and he managed all of a 1 year 1.5 million dollar contract in the offseason this year. And Even a pro-peppers guy would rather have boston on this team playing SS than peppers.
no, the skills he showed at michigan are not the direction the game is evolving. Thats why the pick was mostly panned at the time, and thats why it is panned even more in hindsight as we saw his 'skills' in 2017.
It's clear the direction across the nfl is not too add more guys in the secondary/safety with linebacker skill sets primarily.
Look at tre boston....he's a strong safety that is just a much better version of even a realistically optimistic version of what Peppers may be this year, and he managed all of a 1 year 1.5 million dollar contract in the offseason this year. And Even a pro-peppers guy would rather have boston on this team playing SS than peppers.
I disagree. Hell, you even described it in the second paragraph. You must not have any idea what he actually did at Michigan since he played a version of that hybrid role for us. It's just that most colleges don't run a ton of TEs so he was more in the slot at times.
I'd say him being a wolverine had a lot to do with it being "panned" and this place was proof.
You must not be paying attention because we clearly didn't see his skills in 2017. That's the point. That was the major gripe to the punt return coverage D. Which, again, had a lot to do with how much Williams trusted his corners. You weren't really going to see anyone's skills, especially someone that should be near the LOS, when they're 35 yards back.
Comparing him to a safety in his 5th year? Ok... Not to mention Pro Football Reference, and a handful of other places, list Boston as a Free Safety.
Kam Chancellor is a strong safety and paid very well.
-
I don't have much issue with how Peppers has played thus far this pre-season.
So long as he continues to clean up angles and keep his head up tackling. He's been playing over top of flexed out TE's, a WR to the boundary on occasion and I think he picked up smallwood a few times vs Philly.
I'm in a wait and see. Do I like how high we drafted a utility player like that? Not really. But if he continues to bring some value to this defense then that mindset of feeling like you overpaid will diminish in time.
I don't have much issue with how Peppers has played thus far this pre-season.
So long as he continues to clean up angles and keep his head up tackling. He's been playing over top of flexed out TE's, a WR to the boundary on occasion and I think he picked up smallwood a few times vs Philly.
I'm in a wait and see. Do I like how high we drafted a utility player like that? Not really. But if he continues to bring some value to this defense then that mindset of feeling like you overpaid will diminish in time.
I'm hoping he can continue to grow into his role and the NFL game in a way that allows us to use him in a way that affects the game like he did in college. He didn't rack up all of that stats but it wasn't his job. Instead the offense and the QB had to account for him every play and they never really knew what he was doing. There was a game against MSU where, coming out of a timeout, they took a second timeout immediately because Peppers was kined up somewhere they weren't expecting and they didn't know what to do
-
Peppers sucks. Went to University of Michigan. Nuff said.
Peppers sucks. Went to University of Michigan. Nuff said.
As soon as I saw that your avatar as the most recent post I knew what you'd post. I wasn't that far off haha
-
Whether has been better or worse than Kindred may be questionable. Whats not questionable is he is not delivering value to his draft position and we need to upgrade at safety.
Damn
This is gonna be one of those threads where, in response to haters/those that don't know what they're talking about, I speak for the middle ground, in a way that defends Pep, and then I get called a Homer for it.
Damn. It might be
Damn
This is gonna be one of those threads where, in response to haters/those that don't know what they're talking about, I speak for the middle ground, in a way that defends Pep, and then I get called a Homer for it.
Damn. It might be
See how stupid you are? You defend him unquestionably, and you call that the middleground? Hello McFly is anybody home arsebag? You’re taking his side completely and without giving a thought to how he has played. Peppers has been below average so far in his performance for this team. Plain simple true. Are there potential explanations....he is out of position, etc.? Perhaps. Can he improver? Hopefully.....but he has still played like a 6th rounder, not a first rounder.
-
how the hell does a person trying to pass as a starter in an nfl's secondary in 2018 have a 'lack of experience' covering tight ends?
Also, peppers being a liability in the passing game in 2018's nfl is like saying a Mexican restaurant's areas that need improvement are the queso, burritos, and tacos. Or a model's only downside is their unattractive face. Or a actuary's main weakness is that they are bad with numbers.
the nfl in 2018 is 90% about the ability to be efficient in the passing game and to prevent other teams from being efficient in the passing game. Everything is geared towards that. Using one safety spot on a way undersized extra linebacker to help plug the run is a huge problem.
Because it's not something we really had him do at Michigan and it's not something we had him do last year.
Your post before this, where you go off against what you think a SS is, I don't think you're paying attention to where we've had him lining up and what we've had him doing. He does play a deep half now and then, he blitzes, he covers TEs, and he covers the slot. That's not a demotion. It's a different piece in a complex puzzle. Williams had him at deep safety last year because he was our best option at it on the team. Now he has him in this Swiss army knife role for a similar reason. That's a critical piece to today's NFL defense. You made plenty of claims to the contrary, but I think I'll go with Williams on this one.
I get that you've been against him since we drafted him, you've made that very clear. You may think I'm being biased, I don't doubt you do. You need to at least be realistic in what you're saying though and look at the facts. Damn.
Because it's not something we really had him do at Michigan and it's not something we had him do last year.
Your post before this, where you go off against what you think a SS is, I don't think you're paying attention to where we've had him lining up and what we've had him doing. He does play a deep half now and then, he blitzes, he covers TEs, and he covers the slot. That's not a demotion. It's a different piece in a complex puzzle. Williams had him at deep safety last year because he was our best option at it on the team. Now he has him in this Swiss army knife role for a similar reason. That's a critical piece to today's NFL defense. You made plenty of claims to the contrary, but I think I'll go with Williams on this one.
I get that you've been against him since we drafted him, you've made that very clear. You may think I'm being biased, I don't doubt you do. You need to at least be realistic in what you're saying though and look at the facts. Damn.
Woody, I hold no grudge against Peppers because he went to Michigan. Let's just say as a first round pick- he's not drawing comparisons to Ed Reed yet.
PS- I was at the Bill's game, and Williams is only playing his safetys a 1\2 mile off the ball now, and a couple two guys deep.
-
Damn
This is gonna be one of those threads where, in response to haters/those that don't know what they're talking about, I speak for the middle ground, in a way that defends Pep, and then I get called a Homer for it.
Damn. It might be
See how stupid you are? You defend him unquestionably, and you call that the middleground? Hello McFly is anybody home arsebag? You’re taking his side completely and without giving a thought to how he has played. Peppers has been below average so far in his performance for this team. Plain simple true. Are there potential explanations....he is out of position, etc.? Perhaps. Can he improver? Hopefully.....but he has still played like a 6th rounder, not a first rounder.
See how stupid you are you defend him and you call that the middleground hello McFly is anybody home pooper you’re taking his side completely. Peppers has been below average so far in his performance for this team plain simple trueSee how stupid you are you defend him and you call that the middleground hello McFly is anybody home pooper you’re taking his side completely. Peppers has been below average so far in his performance for this team plain simple true
Right, I sound stupid... not the guy using the word "pooper" and saying everything twice...
I state facts. I try to "defend" him from nonsense and false statements. I've never once claimed he's playing like a superstar or any of that. I'm providing background, and again, facts, for anyone making claims without any real base.
-
Because it's not something we really had him do at Michigan and it's not something we had him do last year.
Your post before this, where you go off against what you think a SS is, I don't think you're paying attention to where we've had him lining up and what we've had him doing. He does play a deep half now and then, he blitzes, he covers TEs, and he covers the slot. That's not a demotion. It's a different piece in a complex puzzle. Williams had him at deep safety last year because he was our best option at it on the team. Now he has him in this Swiss army knife role for a similar reason. That's a critical piece to today's NFL defense. You made plenty of claims to the contrary, but I think I'll go with Williams on this one.
I get that you've been against him since we drafted him, you've made that very clear. You may think I'm being biased, I don't doubt you do. You need to at least be realistic in what you're saying though and look at the facts. Damn.
Woody, I hold no grudge against Peppers because he went to Michigan. Let's just say as a first round pick- he's not drawing comparisons to Ed Reed yet.
PS- I was at the Bill's game, and Williams is only playing his safetys a 1\2 mile off the ball now, and a couple two guys deep.
Woody, I hold no grudge against Peppers because he went to Michigan. Let's just say as a first round pick- he's not drawing comparisons to Ed Reed yet.
PS- I was at the Bill's game, and Williams is only playing his safetys a 1\2 mile off the ball now, and a couple two guys deep.
I wouldn't expect him to since they play different positions
I really think Williams change in how he uses his safeties is mainly due to how much trust he has in our CBs now. He doesn't need a FS so far back to serve as his "Angel".
-
well he's a guy that will talk up & down about his defensive personal..
almost 17 mins.(l loved it) Peppers near the end but don't miss the coaching of D.Ward..Enjoy!
well he's a guy that will talk up & down about his defensive personal..
almost 17 mins.(l loved it) Peppers near the end but don't miss the coaching of D.Ward..Enjoy!
I love how now we have a defensive roster more flexible than last year that allows us to put 11 players who thanks to their versatility have the ability to play different schemes proficiently.
It is one of the major threats a defense can show, and I see Williams doing it not forcing players out of their natural positions.
-
See how stupid you are you defend him and you call that the middleground hello McFly is anybody home pooper you’re taking his side completely. Peppers has been below average so far in his performance for this team plain simple trueSee how stupid you are you defend him and you call that the middleground hello McFly is anybody home pooper you’re taking his side completely. Peppers has been below average so far in his performance for this team plain simple true
Right, I sound stupid... not the guy using the word "pooper" and saying everything twice...
I state facts. I try to "defend" him from nonsense and false statements. I've never once claimed he's playing like a superstar or any of that. I'm providing background, and again, facts, for anyone making claims without any real base.
Right, I sound stupid... not the guy using the word "pooper" and saying everything twice...
More evidence of your stupidity. The forum now autocorrects the word a-s-s-hole for pooper....How long have you been on this board to not know that? And how long have you been around to not know that when I speak into my phone, it duplicates my comments. We have had numerous discussions on here about this but have had no solution. More evidence of you being clueless and out of touch.
I state facts. I try to "defend" him from nonsense and false statements.
What specific nonsense and false statements have been made about him? I don't know about others, but I personally have only said that he has been disappointing to this point and has not played up to his draft status or his potential. There may be some legitimate excuses for that based on the way he has been used, but it is still a fact, nevertheless.
I've never once claimed he's playing like a superstar or any of that. I'm providing background, and again, facts, for anyone making claims without any real base.
Background? Facts? I have seen none of those. Opinions, perhaps.
-
ill.go on record now thst i think peppers, if/when williams fully integrates him into the defense and starts bringing him closer to the LOS.....peppers is going to have palomalu like seasons.
it all comes down to if williams can get him to properly read plays at the snap and react properly. Than you'll have a guy with that athletic ability close to the los who recovers depth if the offense tries to go high.
-
Oh joy, I can expect Gipper to get all flustered and respond to me in any threads we're both in. Back to that. First Meyer, now this. I don't expect to get anywhere in either of them, as history has shown multiple times.
I'll just leave our side conversation be for now and see if anything else becomes of this thread.
(This is when you get your last word in)
-
Oh joy, I can expect Gipper to get all flustered and respond to me in any threads we're both in. Back to that. First Meyer, now this. I don't expect to get anywhere in either of them, as history has shown multiple times.
I'll just leave our side conversation be for now and see if anything else becomes of this thread.
(This is when you get your last word in)
Oh joy, I can expect Gipper to get all flustered and respond to me in any threads we're both in. Back to that. First Meyer, now this. I don't expect to get anywhere in either of them, as history has shown multiple times.
I'll just leave our side conversation be for now and see if anything else becomes of this thread.
(This is when you get your last word in)
You asked that we not feed the troll....I declined. I consider you as big of a troll as Ghoolie is.
Why? Because this is a brown and orange board. And a scarlett and gray board. You seem to ONLY display your simperings and whimperings when some corn and navy colored player is at issue (even when they play for the Browns) I would wager that about 80% of your posts, even here on the Browns board, deal only with anyone that played for TLUN. (Those Losers Up North).
Besides that....there is no "fluster" at all about it. Stating facts and truths is not flustering for me. It is just natural to do so. You are the one, apparently, that can't handle the truth. You always have to make excuses for your boys. You always have to see how many angels you can make dance on the head of a pin.
I just tell it like it is, and don't worry about it. Peppers has been disappointing and has played below expectations. There was no basis to terminate Meyer. I recognize this and move on. You on the other hand do a Rumpelstilskin dance and screw yourself into the ground in rage and frustration. Hopefully, like him, you will fall into a chasm and never be heard from again.
(Read my avatar to figure things out)
-
what he did at michigan is really irrelevant to everything. The nfl is a different game. His usefulness at michigan really doesn't translate to the nfl in 2018.
And yes, being switched the less valuable safety role is a demotion.
As for when he covers the slot, we'll see how good he is at that. I'm not optimistic. Having an extra nickel corner or more versatile safety out there in his place would be preferred for such situations.
As for what williams does with him, my guess is williams would prefer a better player period.
You asked how he had no real experience covering TEs. I told you. What he did and didn't do at Michigan isn't irrelevant in that regard. It also does translate. The game is evolving and those same skills are more important. We have a DC that can take advantage of it.
Less valuable in your opinion.
A slot CB would not be as useful if you still want to provide a blitzes threat and run support.
Sure, every DC would prefer all pros across their roster, but that's not happening. If you think Williams had no input on us drafting him you're crazy.
You asked how he had no real experience covering TEs. I told you.
Taco rarely says what he says... at least once he's called on it.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login