Skip to content

Eight Former Browns Starting QB's, #2 Backups, For Eight NFL Teams On Opening Week 2018

The Browns Board
17 8 443
  • B BrownsDawgPound wrote on last edited by BrownsDawgPound
    #1

    Hi, Browns fans!   Former Browns starting QB's are already backups on 8 of the 32 NFL teams on Opening Week 2018.

    https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/09/9699573add8450/former-browns-may-win-no-2-qua.html#incart_2box

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #2

    8 Backups that we made the starter.

    Pretty amazing 25% of the league has a former Brown at backup QB.

    Too bad Manziel, Hogan, Horseballs and Austin Davis aren't backing up, we'd have 12.

    Interestingly, the pick we swapped with the Redskins for Hogan was the one we got from the Patriots for McCourty, which was spent of DB Simeon Thomas, who was cut with little fanfare. So we got nothing for both of those guys. That's why I really don't care about 6th or 7th round picks in trades ... it's not that big a deal. McCourty made the Pats as a safety BTW.

    Zombo

  • CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS
    #3

    Adam Schefter has compared past  browns teams to a college team, saying players are developed here...

    Kessler and Kizer have the best futures imo, but after clicking on the link, those two are the only younger ones, the rest being journeymen backups

  • Adam Schefter has compared past  browns teams to a college team, saying players are developed here...

    Kessler and Kizer have the best futures imo, but after clicking on the link, those two are the only younger ones, the rest being journeymen backups

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Adam Schefter has compared past  browns teams to a college team, saying players are developed here...

    Kessler and Kizer have the best futures imo

    That's exactly it, with no great even decent WRs, RBs, and even an overworked defense  (yes it aids the offense) the quarterbacks numbers suffer.

    They get cut, traded, leave, escape, whatever to better surroundings after their baptism of fire here. 

    Kizer might be a decent quarterback in GB.....but not too soon, I have Rodgers as one starting FL QB. 🙂

  • 8 Backups that we made the starter.

    Pretty amazing 25% of the league has a former Brown at backup QB.

    Too bad Manziel, Hogan, Horseballs and Austin Davis aren't backing up, we'd have 12.

    Interestingly, the pick we swapped with the Redskins for Hogan was the one we got from the Patriots for McCourty, which was spent of DB Simeon Thomas, who was cut with little fanfare. So we got nothing for both of those guys. That's why I really don't care about 6th or 7th round picks in trades ... it's not that big a deal. McCourty made the Pats as a safety BTW.

    Zombo

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Zombo said:

    8 Backups that we made the starter.

    Pretty amazing 25% of the league has a former Brown at backup QB.

    Too bad Manziel, Hogan, Horseballs and Austin Davis aren't backing up, we'd have 12.

    Interestingly, the pick we swapped with the Redskins for Hogan was the one we got from the Patriots for McCourty, which was spent of DB Simeon Thomas, who was cut with little fanfare. So we got nothing for both of those guys. That's why I really don't care about 6th or 7th round picks in trades ... it's not that big a deal. McCourty made the Pats as a safety BTW.

    Zombo

    Actually I think that Austin Davis is the back up quarterback in Seattle we would have to check on that that’s what I heard

  • Zombo said:

    8 Backups that we made the starter.

    Pretty amazing 25% of the league has a former Brown at backup QB.

    Too bad Manziel, Hogan, Horseballs and Austin Davis aren't backing up, we'd have 12.

    Interestingly, the pick we swapped with the Redskins for Hogan was the one we got from the Patriots for McCourty, which was spent of DB Simeon Thomas, who was cut with little fanfare. So we got nothing for both of those guys. That's why I really don't care about 6th or 7th round picks in trades ... it's not that big a deal. McCourty made the Pats as a safety BTW.

    Zombo

    Actually I think that Austin Davis is the back up quarterback in Seattle we would have to check on that that’s what I heard

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @the-gipper said:

    Actually I think that Austin Davis is the back up quarterback in Seattle we would have to check on that that’s what I heard

    The article says he was cut.

    Z

  • @the-gipper said:

    Actually I think that Austin Davis is the back up quarterback in Seattle we would have to check on that that’s what I heard

    The article says he was cut.

    Z

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Zombo said:

    The article says he was cut.

    Z

    OK didn’t hearOK didn’t hear

  • GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #8

    I read this the same way I read it on draft day. The very.thing you guys call.me a troll for.

    I said all along the Browns PURPOSELY refrain from drafting/acquiring top-tier playmaker talent.

    This year they passed on the best player in the draft to take a guy who would have still been around at 4.

    Today they got beat out of Mack, even though they have cap space.

    This is a team that specializes in not taking risk and not spending money. Haslam and his predecessors are able to pull it off because they have the dumbest fan base in all of pro sports.

    Hoorta being the prime example. No matter how bad the Browns do, the Hoortas will always concoct a narrative that "ON THE SURFACE IT LOOKS LIKE THE BROWNS ARE INEPT, BUT BUT BUT THE INTELLIGENT FAN CAN READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND SEE THAT THE BROWNS HAVE A MASTER PLAN JUST PERCOLATING WHERE ONLY.THE HOORTAS CAN SEE IT.

    Seriously, I don't know why they pay me to keep this place running.

  • I read this the same way I read it on draft day. The very.thing you guys call.me a troll for.

    I said all along the Browns PURPOSELY refrain from drafting/acquiring top-tier playmaker talent.

    This year they passed on the best player in the draft to take a guy who would have still been around at 4.

    Today they got beat out of Mack, even though they have cap space.

    This is a team that specializes in not taking risk and not spending money. Haslam and his predecessors are able to pull it off because they have the dumbest fan base in all of pro sports.

    Hoorta being the prime example. No matter how bad the Browns do, the Hoortas will always concoct a narrative that "ON THE SURFACE IT LOOKS LIKE THE BROWNS ARE INEPT, BUT BUT BUT THE INTELLIGENT FAN CAN READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND SEE THAT THE BROWNS HAVE A MASTER PLAN JUST PERCOLATING WHERE ONLY.THE HOORTAS CAN SEE IT.

    Seriously, I don't know why they pay me to keep this place running.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @ghoolie said:

    I read this the same way I read it on draft day. The very.thing you guys call.me a troll for.

    I said all along the Browns PURPOSELY refrain from drafting/acquiring top-tier playmaker talent.

    This year they passed on the best player in the draft to take a guy who would have still been around at 4.

    Today they got beat out of Mack, even though they have cap space.

    This is a team that specializes in not taking risk and not spending money. Haslam and his predecessors are able to pull it off because they have the dumbest fan base in all of pro sports.

    Hoorta being the prime example. No matter how bad the Browns do, the Hoortas will always concoct a narrative that "ON THE SURFACE IT LOOKS LIKE THE BROWNS ARE INEPT, BUT BUT BUT THE INTELLIGENT FAN CAN READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND SEE THAT THE BROWNS HAVE A MASTER PLAN JUST PERCOLATING WHERE ONLY.THE HOORTAS CAN SEE IT.

    Seriously, I don't know why they pay me to keep this place running.

    Some of us may be willing to pay you didn’t leave it completely let’s see I got $.45 in change that should do it for you. But I will tell you this if you are saying that you are receiving money then those requests for donations to keep this board operating will now certainly dribble down to absolute zero.The only consolation is that I am certain that you are just like your hero Donald Trump in that everything that comes out of your mouth is a Shmucking lie

  • I read this the same way I read it on draft day. The very.thing you guys call.me a troll for.

    I said all along the Browns PURPOSELY refrain from drafting/acquiring top-tier playmaker talent.

    This year they passed on the best player in the draft to take a guy who would have still been around at 4.

    Today they got beat out of Mack, even though they have cap space.

    This is a team that specializes in not taking risk and not spending money. Haslam and his predecessors are able to pull it off because they have the dumbest fan base in all of pro sports.

    Hoorta being the prime example. No matter how bad the Browns do, the Hoortas will always concoct a narrative that "ON THE SURFACE IT LOOKS LIKE THE BROWNS ARE INEPT, BUT BUT BUT THE INTELLIGENT FAN CAN READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND SEE THAT THE BROWNS HAVE A MASTER PLAN JUST PERCOLATING WHERE ONLY.THE HOORTAS CAN SEE IT.

    Seriously, I don't know why they pay me to keep this place running.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @ghoolie said:

    I read this the same way I read it on draft day. The very.thing you guys call.me a troll for.

    I said all along the Browns PURPOSELY refrain from drafting/acquiring top-tier playmaker talent.

    This year they passed on the best player in the draft to take a guy who would have still been around at 4.

    Today they got beat out of Mack, even though they have cap space.

    You posted numerous times QB first was the only way to go this year. 

    Don't take it out on Hoorta why you are making the same amount of money he is making as a volunteer in here.

  • I read this the same way I read it on draft day. The very.thing you guys call.me a troll for.

    I said all along the Browns PURPOSELY refrain from drafting/acquiring top-tier playmaker talent.

    This year they passed on the best player in the draft to take a guy who would have still been around at 4.

    Today they got beat out of Mack, even though they have cap space.

    This is a team that specializes in not taking risk and not spending money. Haslam and his predecessors are able to pull it off because they have the dumbest fan base in all of pro sports.

    Hoorta being the prime example. No matter how bad the Browns do, the Hoortas will always concoct a narrative that "ON THE SURFACE IT LOOKS LIKE THE BROWNS ARE INEPT, BUT BUT BUT THE INTELLIGENT FAN CAN READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND SEE THAT THE BROWNS HAVE A MASTER PLAN JUST PERCOLATING WHERE ONLY.THE HOORTAS CAN SEE IT.

    Seriously, I don't know why they pay me to keep this place running.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #11

    @ghoolie said:

    I read this the same way I read it on draft day. The very.thing you guys call.me a troll for.

    I said all along the Browns PURPOSELY refrain from drafting/acquiring top-tier playmaker talent.

    This year they passed on the best player in the draft to take a guy who would have still been around at 4.

    Today they got beat out of Mack, even though they have cap space.

    This is a team that specializes in not taking risk and not spending money. Haslam and his predecessors are able to pull it off because they have the dumbest fan base in all of pro sports.

    Hoorta being the prime example. No matter how bad the Browns do, the Hoortas will always concoct a narrative that "ON THE SURFACE IT LOOKS LIKE THE BROWNS ARE INEPT, BUT BUT BUT THE INTELLIGENT FAN CAN READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND SEE THAT THE BROWNS HAVE A MASTER PLAN JUST PERCOLATING WHERE ONLY.THE HOORTAS CAN SEE IT.

    Seriously, I don't know why they pay me to keep this place running.

    Get real, we didn't draft a quarterback in the top 10 after Couch until we took Mayfield. I've said a bunch of times, the guys doing the picking were taking factory seconds. 

    Oh, Barkley was the best player in the draft? One problem about that- HE'S NOT A QUARTERBACK, by your admission the most important position on the team. If you think Mayfield would still have been there at #4 you're full of crap. How many times do I have to point out to finally get it through your thick trolling head a franchise running back is no guarantee to win a Super Bowl? Greats like Ladainan Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson never got there, and Tom Brady has more Super Bowl rings than Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders- combined. 

    Here's something else for you to think about Nostradumbass. Hoorta = Carson Wentz.  Incidentally didn't want: Brady Quinn, Johnny Manziel, Deshone Kizer. Ghoolie = Paxton Lynch. 😁  😁  😁 

    @flugel said:

    You posted numerous times QB first was the only way to go this year. 

    Don't take it out on Hoorta why you are making the same amount of money he is making as a volunteer in here.

    He's a freaking expert playing both sides of the fence so it looks like to the untrained or casual observer- he's always right.  

  • GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I NEVER, EVER SAID you must take a QB #1, I said finding a franchise QB was JOB #1. In 2018 there were 4, maybe 5 top picks. None of them had any guarantee and none of them was a higher probability than the others. It was an equal shot that any of the 4 or 5 would be a great bet.

    Barkley, however, was the clear cut #1 #1 best pick this year. The proper pick was Barkley at #1, and Mayfield at #4. Mayfield would have still be available. Nobody would have taken him that high.

  • I NEVER, EVER SAID you must take a QB #1, I said finding a franchise QB was JOB #1. In 2018 there were 4, maybe 5 top picks. None of them had any guarantee and none of them was a higher probability than the others. It was an equal shot that any of the 4 or 5 would be a great bet.

    Barkley, however, was the clear cut #1 #1 best pick this year. The proper pick was Barkley at #1, and Mayfield at #4. Mayfield would have still be available. Nobody would have taken him that high.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @ghoolie said:

    I NEVER, EVER SAID you must take a QB #1, I said finding a franchise QB was JOB #1. In 2018 there were 4, maybe 5 top picks. None of them had any guarantee and none of them was a higher probability than the others. It was an equal shot that any of the 4 or 5 would be a great bet.

    Barkley, however, was the clear cut #1 #1 best pick this year. The proper pick was Barkley at #1, and Mayfield at #4. Mayfield would have still be available. Nobody would have taken him that high.

    You did say later that #1 Mayfield was an overreach and I agree with that UNLESS the BROWNS thought he was worth that position and didn't want to risk losing him in picks #2 or #3.

    And did you know there is no such word as ghool or ghoolie? 😆

  • I NEVER, EVER SAID you must take a QB #1, I said finding a franchise QB was JOB #1. In 2018 there were 4, maybe 5 top picks. None of them had any guarantee and none of them was a higher probability than the others. It was an equal shot that any of the 4 or 5 would be a great bet.

    Barkley, however, was the clear cut #1 #1 best pick this year. The proper pick was Barkley at #1, and Mayfield at #4. Mayfield would have still be available. Nobody would have taken him that high.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #14

    @ghoolie said:

    I NEVER, EVER SAID you must take a QB #1, I said finding a franchise QB was JOB #1.

    Barkley, however, was the clear cut #1 #1 best pick this year. The proper pick was Barkley at #1, and Mayfield at #4. Mayfield would have still be available. Nobody would have taken him that high.

    Ghoolie

    • Ghoolie
    • Posted January 5 The Browns cannot afford not to pick whichever QB they want at #1. If he busts, so what, we will pick #1 again next year. If they do not go QB at #1, they truly are the dumbest fauhking group of jackoffs who ever lived.
  • I NEVER, EVER SAID you must take a QB #1, I said finding a franchise QB was JOB #1. In 2018 there were 4, maybe 5 top picks. None of them had any guarantee and none of them was a higher probability than the others. It was an equal shot that any of the 4 or 5 would be a great bet.

    Barkley, however, was the clear cut #1 #1 best pick this year. The proper pick was Barkley at #1, and Mayfield at #4. Mayfield would have still be available. Nobody would have taken him that high.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #15

    @ghoolie said:

    I NEVER, EVER SAID you must take a QB #1, I said finding a franchise QB was JOB #1. In 2018 there were 4, maybe 5 top picks. None of them had any guarantee and none of them was a higher probability than the others. It was an equal shot that any of the 4 or 5 would be a great bet.

    Barkley, however, was the clear cut #1 #1 best pick this year. The proper pick was Barkley at #1, and Mayfield at #4. Mayfield would have still be available. Nobody would have taken him that high.

    Again- BS. Here's the deal Thomas. I've said it a zillion times- since Couch, the Browns were drafting factory seconds (or fourths in the case of Kizer) and hoping they'd hit the magic Powerball. If finding the QB was Job #1, that's exactly what Dorsey did. He took the guy who in his opinion was going to be a franchise QB. And mine BTW- I had Mayfield and Darnold ranked 1A and 1B in my book. I already told you Mayfield would not have been available- ditto Darnold, if we had taken Barkley #1 overall. Darnod & Mayfield would have gone #2 & #3, and we would have been stuck with injury risk Rosen, or "I can't hit the broadside of a barn" Josh Allen. 

    Yeah- Saquon may be great, but a lot of pundits (not me) had Trent Richardson as the next great RB.  Gawd, I hated that dumbass pick. 

    Barkley was the clear cut option only if you already had your franchise qb in place.  So IMHO- and I'm not the only one- the talking heads of Fox Sports echoed my opinion this afternoon. The Giants made a serious mistake pushing all their chips in this year hoping they can (wrongly) get another decent year out of a rapidly declining Eli Manning. They have NO plan B. Eli gets hurt, they're up proverbial S-hit Creek without a paddle. I rate their odds of making the playoffs with Barkley and a healthy OBJ only slightly better than the Bears- who also IMHO pushed all their chips in the middle too soon giving up the Moon for Kahlil Mack.  

  • @ghoolie said:

    I NEVER, EVER SAID you must take a QB #1, I said finding a franchise QB was JOB #1.

    Barkley, however, was the clear cut #1 #1 best pick this year. The proper pick was Barkley at #1, and Mayfield at #4. Mayfield would have still be available. Nobody would have taken him that high.

    Ghoolie

    • Ghoolie
    • Posted January 5 The Browns cannot afford not to pick whichever QB they want at #1. If he busts, so what, we will pick #1 again next year. If they do not go QB at #1, they truly are the dumbest fauhking group of jackoffs who ever lived.
    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #16

    @flugel said:

    Ghoolie

    •  
    • Ghoolie
    • Posted January 5 The Browns cannot afford not to pick whichever QB they want at #1. If he busts, so what, we will pick #1 again next year. If they do not go QB at #1, they truly are the dumbest fauhking group of jackoffs who ever lived.

    Damn, thanks for reminding trollie what he said, he develops selective amnesia....   Sorry Ghoolie you can't have it both ways...  

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #17

    We interrupt this argument between Ghoolie and Ghoolie to remind people how important it is to adhere to any/all medications as prescribed by Dr Frasier Crane. Please don't drink and drive or get hammered and hunt.  That said, posting after happy hour or last call can be highly advisable...