Skip to content

Tom's post game synopsis

The Browns Board
49 15 1.7k
  • Come on Gipper, the man is actually talking about football without all the nasty stuff and you still want to get on him?

    Tom, you are correct that it is perfect practice makes perfect. But one caveat, when you were doing your practice, I dont imagine you had someone else there playing a different tune trying to mess you up. I get what you are trying to say, but there are always going to be mistakes. The game wasnt in network here, so I don't know the play you are referring to, but BB, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, etc all have had these exact things happen. I know I have coaching. And I know that it wasnt from lack of preparation, it was a player trying to get a good jump to make a play. Beyond frustrating at the time though 

  • Come on Gipper, the man is actually talking about football without all the nasty stuff and you still want to get on him?

    Tom, you are correct that it is perfect practice makes perfect. But one caveat, when you were doing your practice, I dont imagine you had someone else there playing a different tune trying to mess you up. I get what you are trying to say, but there are always going to be mistakes. The game wasnt in network here, so I don't know the play you are referring to, but BB, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, etc all have had these exact things happen. I know I have coaching. And I know that it wasnt from lack of preparation, it was a player trying to get a good jump to make a play. Beyond frustrating at the time though 

    @gunz41 said:

    Come on Gipper, the man is actually talking about football without all the nasty stuff and you still want to get on him?

    Tom, you are correct that it is perfect practice makes perfect. But one caveat, when you were doing your practice, I dont imagine you had someone else there playing a different tune trying to mess you up. I get what you are trying to say, but there are always going to be mistakes. The game wasnt in network here, so I don't know the play you are referring to, but BB, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, etc all have had these exact things happen. I know I have coaching. And I know that it wasnt from lack of preparation, it was a player trying to get a good jump to make a play. Beyond frustrating at the time though 

    Gunz, I am in agreement with you. Of course musical practice and football are different, but to my eye, the concern is that we don't seem to ever improve on these things. No team can play flawless football, but my God, how do we explain that this team always finds a way to give away a win? I just shake my head in amazement each time, I tell myself that this was just one of those things, but then the damned guys find a different way to lose.

    As I said, Cathy said to me, "it looks like your drought is over". In years past she would tell me...watch, they're gonna blow it, and of course, they did. I was on the phone, pre-celebrating with a bud, and then WTF?

    This team has talent, and the last 2 Steelers games were ours to win. Somehow, Hue has to start making some progress with these things. It really was a sad way to end this game. That stadium was Kardiac Kids rockin, and it has been so very long since we had that. I just hope the team gets and stays jazzed.

  • I'm sure it's been mentioned but it doesn't seem to me that Tyrod Taylor has been known as a run-first quarterback? Maybe nobody was open or maybe he just didn't see them or have a clue or possibly just afraid to throw the ball in the bad weather. But maybe if only for this one game it was the true definition of black Tarkington. If he stays on the Run first train he's going to get killed. Also it's easy to blame coach Jackson but he's not calling these plays. 1st and 10 of The Middle.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I'm sure it's been mentioned but it doesn't seem to me that Tyrod Taylor has been known as a run-first quarterback? Maybe nobody was open or maybe he just didn't see them or have a clue or possibly just afraid to throw the ball in the bad weather. But maybe if only for this one game it was the true definition of black Tarkington. If he stays on the Run first train he's going to get killed. Also it's easy to blame coach Jackson but he's not calling these plays. 1st and 10 of The Middle.

    WSS

    Steve, I don't know if anyone called him a run-first QB, but I do. I did when we signed him. Buffalo had much more of a pitch and catch offense to free this guy up. I think you are not quite right about Hue not calling the plays. Hue is the HC. He is the guy who tells Haley...."This is the offense I want you to design".. then the OC does it. Haley only can call the plays in situations that Hue has prescribed him to call. Again, we saw on Hard Knocks that Hue is indeed a control freak.

  • @hoorta said:

    I'll just add in, there's a difference in difference of opinion, and vicious personal attacks with name calling. The latter is what we're trying to avoid. 

    OK,    I apologize to Ghoolie, to you, to the entire Board  for calling  him a Steeler fan.  I understand that that is about the most vicious personal attack one person can make to another human being.   Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

    327577.gif

    @the-gipper said:

    OK,    I apologize to Ghoolie, to you, to the entire Board  for calling  him a Steeler fan.  I understand that that is about the most vicious personal attack one person can make to another human being.   Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

    327577.gif

    Gipper, calling me a Steeler fan, in your mind is an insult. You think that this digs me. That's is all in your mind. Unlike most here ,  I don't consider being a Steeler fan a horrible thing. As I explained, the people of Pittsburgh welcomed my music, and many in the medical and industrial world accepted my selling water purification technology, and literally enabled me to provide for my family, and find direction when I was floundering. I am sorry that I don't hate Steeler fans, other than twice a year.

    However, there is a bigger picture here. I posted that stupid poll hopefully to stimulate some real venting. Whatever my malfunction is that I like to escalate flaming, and get up on a soapbox about how the mods aren't always fair. It wasn't just me spending too much time on this Ghoolie bullschidt, it really became more infectious than I ever imagined it would.

    I am not going to call out all the goofy crap on both sides of the equation suffice to say that I have ended my contribution to the mess. As Stan said, enough of this gay stuff, let's get back to football.

    Flame wars start the very moment that a reply addresses the poster, and not the post. Calling someone a knucklhead, jackass in football passion is one thing, but posters constantly addressing each other personally is not good for anyone. Again, my part in that is over. I hope the rest of the guys who don't like each other also take it down a notch. That's all I have to say about this. If someone attacks me personally, over and above sports camaraderie, my respons won't be a return of flames, but a simple, "please stick to the topic".

    Speak of weird stuff, you guys need to look up this Surra Bunda danving they do in Brazille. I promise you will laugh and say WTF.

    Later

  • Come on Gipper, the man is actually talking about football without all the nasty stuff and you still want to get on him?

    Tom, you are correct that it is perfect practice makes perfect. But one caveat, when you were doing your practice, I dont imagine you had someone else there playing a different tune trying to mess you up. I get what you are trying to say, but there are always going to be mistakes. The game wasnt in network here, so I don't know the play you are referring to, but BB, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, etc all have had these exact things happen. I know I have coaching. And I know that it wasnt from lack of preparation, it was a player trying to get a good jump to make a play. Beyond frustrating at the time though 

    @gunz41 said:

    Come on Gipper, the man is actually talking about football without all the nasty stuff and you still want to get on him?

    Tom, you are correct that it is perfect practice makes perfect. But one caveat, when you were doing your practice, I dont imagine you had someone else there playing a different tune trying to mess you up. I get what you are trying to say, but there are always going to be mistakes. The game wasnt in network here, so I don't know the play you are referring to, but BB, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, etc all have had these exact things happen. I know I have coaching. And I know that it wasnt from lack of preparation, it was a player trying to get a good jump to make a play. Beyond frustrating at the time though 

    I didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank youI didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank you

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK,    I apologize to Ghoolie, to you, to the entire Board  for calling  him a Steeler fan.  I understand that that is about the most vicious personal attack one person can make to another human being.   Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

    327577.gif

    Gipper, calling me a Steeler fan, in your mind is an insult. You think that this digs me. That's is all in your mind. Unlike most here ,  I don't consider being a Steeler fan a horrible thing. As I explained, the people of Pittsburgh welcomed my music, and many in the medical and industrial world accepted my selling water purification technology, and literally enabled me to provide for my family, and find direction when I was floundering. I am sorry that I don't hate Steeler fans, other than twice a year.

    However, there is a bigger picture here. I posted that stupid poll hopefully to stimulate some real venting. Whatever my malfunction is that I like to escalate flaming, and get up on a soapbox about how the mods aren't always fair. It wasn't just me spending too much time on this Ghoolie bullschidt, it really became more infectious than I ever imagined it would.

    I am not going to call out all the goofy crap on both sides of the equation suffice to say that I have ended my contribution to the mess. As Stan said, enough of this gay stuff, let's get back to football.

    Flame wars start the very moment that a reply addresses the poster, and not the post. Calling someone a knucklhead, jackass in football passion is one thing, but posters constantly addressing each other personally is not good for anyone. Again, my part in that is over. I hope the rest of the guys who don't like each other also take it down a notch. That's all I have to say about this. If someone attacks me personally, over and above sports camaraderie, my respons won't be a return of flames, but a simple, "please stick to the topic".

    Speak of weird stuff, you guys need to look up this Surra Bunda danving they do in Brazille. I promise you will laugh and say WTF.

    Later

    @ghoolie said:

    Gipper, calling me a Steeler fan, in your mind is an insult. You think that this digs me.

    No...I don't think it "digs" you.    It was for the rest of the patrons here that I basically rendered the apology.

    That's is all in your mind. Unlike most here ,  I don't consider being a Steeler fan a horrible thing. As I explained, the people of Pittsburgh welcomed my music, and many in the medical and industrial world accepted my selling water purification technology, and literally enabled me to provide for my family, and find direction when I was floundering.

    I am sorry that I don't hate Steeler fans, other than twice a year.

    Who, besides you has uttered the words "hate"?  Recognition and acknowledgement of inferiority does not constitute "hate".  Does it?

    However, there is a bigger picture here. I posted that stupid poll hopefully to stimulate some real venting. Whatever my malfunction is that I like to escalate flaming, and get up on a soapbox about how the mods aren't always fair. It wasn't just me spending too much time on this Ghoolie bullschidt, it really became more infectious than I ever imagined it would.

    I am not going to call out all the goofy crap on both sides of the equation suffice to say that I have ended my contribution to the mess. As Stan said, enough of this gay stuff, let's get back to football.

    Flame wars start the very moment that a reply addresses the poster, and not the post. Calling someone a knucklhead, jackass in football passion is one thing, but posters constantly addressing each other personally is not good for anyone. Again, my part in that is over.

    Contraindications exist.

    I hope the rest of the guys who don't like each other also take it down a notch. That's all I have to say about this. If someone attacks me personally, over and above sports camaraderie, my response won't be a return of flames, but a simple, "please stick to the topic".

    But also advise yourself of this:  YOU are not in control of the topic.  Conversation is an elastic substance, that could flow anywhere. If you think that a subject will not inevitably draw comparisons between the Browns and Steelers....or some such, you are being laughingly naive. 

    We are Freebirds.  And Freebirds you cannot change. Oh Lord, you cannot change.

    (admit it....you now have an earwig)

    ?????????????????☮️☯️⚜️????

  • @gunz41 said:

    Come on Gipper, the man is actually talking about football without all the nasty stuff and you still want to get on him?

    Tom, you are correct that it is perfect practice makes perfect. But one caveat, when you were doing your practice, I dont imagine you had someone else there playing a different tune trying to mess you up. I get what you are trying to say, but there are always going to be mistakes. The game wasnt in network here, so I don't know the play you are referring to, but BB, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, etc all have had these exact things happen. I know I have coaching. And I know that it wasnt from lack of preparation, it was a player trying to get a good jump to make a play. Beyond frustrating at the time though 

    I didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank youI didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank you

    @the-gipper said:

    I didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank youI didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank you

    I hadn't read the apology, I was just saying he was actually acting as a Browns fan, and not being what everyone dislikes, so it just looked to me as no matter what he did he was going to be disliked.

    I know I am in a way different situation than most of you, dont and have never lived in Cleveland, and care way more about HS and college football ( And I despise ichigan), I dislike Steelers, but I wouldn't go as far as hating fans from other teams and schools respectively. Especially ones you dont know or seen their actions.  But maybe that is just my personality. Especially not to say that is the worst thing someone can be called.

    Well this storm sounds like it will be coming this way, so if anyone is in that same path, prayers for your safety.

    God Bless

  • @the-gipper said:

    I didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank youI didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank you

    I hadn't read the apology, I was just saying he was actually acting as a Browns fan, and not being what everyone dislikes, so it just looked to me as no matter what he did he was going to be disliked.

    I know I am in a way different situation than most of you, dont and have never lived in Cleveland, and care way more about HS and college football ( And I despise ichigan), I dislike Steelers, but I wouldn't go as far as hating fans from other teams and schools respectively. Especially ones you dont know or seen their actions.  But maybe that is just my personality. Especially not to say that is the worst thing someone can be called.

    Well this storm sounds like it will be coming this way, so if anyone is in that same path, prayers for your safety.

    God Bless

    @gunz41 said:

    I hadn't read the apology, I was just saying he was actually acting as a Browns fan, and not being what everyone dislikes, so it just looked to me as no matter what he did he was going to be disliked.

    I know I am in a way different situation than most of you, dont and have never lived in Cleveland, and care way more about HS and college football ( And I despise ichigan), I dislike Steelers, but I wouldn't go as far as hating fans from other teams and schools respectively. Especially ones you dont know or seen their actions.  But maybe that is just my personality. Especially not to say that is the worst thing someone can be called.

    Well this storm sounds like it will be coming this way, so if anyone is in that same path, prayers for your safety.

    God Bless

    Again, who is claiming "hate"? 

    I mean, I even have Sympathy for the Devil. So, have some courtesy and some taste.

    (now you got an earwig)

  • @the-gipper said:

    I didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank youI didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank you

    I hadn't read the apology, I was just saying he was actually acting as a Browns fan, and not being what everyone dislikes, so it just looked to me as no matter what he did he was going to be disliked.

    I know I am in a way different situation than most of you, dont and have never lived in Cleveland, and care way more about HS and college football ( And I despise ichigan), I dislike Steelers, but I wouldn't go as far as hating fans from other teams and schools respectively. Especially ones you dont know or seen their actions.  But maybe that is just my personality. Especially not to say that is the worst thing someone can be called.

    Well this storm sounds like it will be coming this way, so if anyone is in that same path, prayers for your safety.

    God Bless

    @gunz41 said:

    I hadn't read the apology, I was just saying he was actually acting as a Browns fan, and not being what everyone dislikes, so it just looked to me as no matter what he did he was going to be disliked.

    I know I am in a way different situation than most of you, dont and have never lived in Cleveland, and care way more about HS and college football ( And I despise ichigan), I dislike Steelers, but I wouldn't go as far as hating fans from other teams and schools respectively. Especially ones you dont know or seen their actions.  But maybe that is just my personality. Especially not to say that is the worst thing someone can be called.

    Well this storm sounds like it will be coming this way, so if anyone is in that same path, prayers for your safety.

    God Bless

    Prayers for you and yours too. Thanks for the good words. I find it interesting when fans who have never lived in the NE Ohio area are Browns fans. Especially in this horrible era of losing.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank youI didn’t get on him other than calling him a Steeler fan that was it yes I know that is a terrible thing to do and I already said I was sorry what else do you want me to do I’m sorry I called Gooley a Steeler fan nothing I say could be worse thank you

    I hadn't read the apology, I was just saying he was actually acting as a Browns fan, and not being what everyone dislikes, so it just looked to me as no matter what he did he was going to be disliked.

    I know I am in a way different situation than most of you, dont and have never lived in Cleveland, and care way more about HS and college football ( And I despise ichigan), I dislike Steelers, but I wouldn't go as far as hating fans from other teams and schools respectively. Especially ones you dont know or seen their actions.  But maybe that is just my personality. Especially not to say that is the worst thing someone can be called.

    Well this storm sounds like it will be coming this way, so if anyone is in that same path, prayers for your safety.

    God Bless

    @gunz41 said:

    I hadn't read the apology, I was just saying he was actually acting as a Browns fan, and not being what everyone dislikes, so it just looked to me as no matter what he did he was going to be disliked.

    I know I am in a way different situation than most of you, dont and have never lived in Cleveland, and care way more about HS and college football ( And I despise ichigan), I dislike Steelers, but I wouldn't go as far as hating fans from other teams and schools respectively. Especially ones you dont know or seen their actions.  But maybe that is just my personality. Especially not to say that is the worst thing someone can be called.

    Well this storm sounds like it will be coming this way, so if anyone is in that same path, prayers for your safety.

    God Bless

    IIRC you're in the Carolinas- stay safe. I have a friend who lives, & had to get out of Myrtle Beach, and others in Goldsboro and Wake Forest who are planning on riding the storm out. Wife was down there visiting, and left this morning for safer territory. 

  • @gunz41 said:

    I hadn't read the apology, I was just saying he was actually acting as a Browns fan, and not being what everyone dislikes, so it just looked to me as no matter what he did he was going to be disliked.

    I know I am in a way different situation than most of you, dont and have never lived in Cleveland, and care way more about HS and college football ( And I despise ichigan), I dislike Steelers, but I wouldn't go as far as hating fans from other teams and schools respectively. Especially ones you dont know or seen their actions.  But maybe that is just my personality. Especially not to say that is the worst thing someone can be called.

    Well this storm sounds like it will be coming this way, so if anyone is in that same path, prayers for your safety.

    God Bless

    IIRC you're in the Carolinas- stay safe. I have a friend who lives, & had to get out of Myrtle Beach, and others in Goldsboro and Wake Forest who are planning on riding the storm out. Wife was down there visiting, and left this morning for safer territory. 

    @hoorta said:

    IIRC you're in the Carolinas- stay safe. I have a friend who lives, & had to get out of Myrtle Beach, and others in Goldsboro and Wake Forest who are planning on riding the storm out. Wife was down there visiting, and left this morning for safer territory. 

    Virginia. It seems as though at the moment the storm has changed direction and in now heading south. Carolinas seems that this may be as bad as Houston. I saw today some points could be 40 inches of rain with over 100+ mph winds. Hopefully those people have evacuated and it isnt that bad and little to no damage.

    Prayers for all of them

  • Does anyone else think we still suck, and just got kinda lucky?

  • who the fuk is tom ?

  • sydS syd

    who the fuk is tom ?

    @syd said:

    who the fuk is tom ?

    Several of us.

  • @syd said:

    who the fuk is tom ?

    Several of us.

    @the-gipper said:

    Several of us.

    tom finger or harry rod Johnson 

  • Overall good post and good thread. From the game I really cannot disagree that at least Sunday Tyrod was a run first QB. He was very skittish in the pocket, when he left the pocket he had no intention of passing. His eyes were down the second he left the pocket looking for running lanes. I really see that as the area which I believe would have been drastically different with Mayfield in. He leaves the pocket and has his head up scanning the field looking to make a play. With a leaky O line and the heavens leaking the entire game Ill practice optimism heading into the Saints game. If we see the same type of play from Tyrod I am of the opinion you make the switch to Mayfield prior to the Jets game. 

    I think our D is legit and is really going to make a name for theirselves this year. Our D will win a few games on its own barring a wake up call to the offense. 

  • To continue.

    Only a knucklehead could not take note about the excellent play of Garrett and Ward. However, I am not sure that this constitutes that our D is for real. As someone else mentioned, the rain and the " on any given Sunday" phenomenon could certainly have colored our vision. Even if the D is, as some say, for real, that doesn't translate into wins. If the O can't score points and control the clock, any defense is going to become fatigued. That is when mistakes and injuries rear their ugly heads. I am just not sure that the turnover bouquet is something we will see more of, or if it was just an opportunistic accumulation of events for us.

    That the Browns are a 9 point underdog Sunday tells me that the people we consider "in the know" don't have the same optimism that many on this board have. I really don't know enough about the Buffalo offensive scheme when Taylor was there, but perhaps it was more conducive to his strengths? Or perhaps Sunday was not much to measure anything? My fear is that the -9 is a signal that everyone is going to follow the Steelers recipe and confuse Taylor with a lot of zone mix-ups and blitzes when you least expect it.

    The other thing that bothers me is this business of sitting Mayfield until he is ready. Ready by what measurement? Is there some checklist or task list that he needs to get through? And what about if we do bring him in at say game 6 or 8? Is this current offensive scheme the exact one Mayfield will take over? Is the dink and dump because of Hue. Haley, or is it because of Taylor's limited range of skills?

    When Kosar got hurt, our offense played the same aggressive offense with Bernie's back-up. The execution may have not been there, but the offensive strategy was the same....balls to the wall. 

    Overall, I think this is perhaps the most intriguing season we have had since 1999. A lot of stuff will unfold, I am sure. I hope it is a lot of positive stuff. We will see.

  • To continue.

    Only a knucklehead could not take note about the excellent play of Garrett and Ward. However, I am not sure that this constitutes that our D is for real. As someone else mentioned, the rain and the " on any given Sunday" phenomenon could certainly have colored our vision. Even if the D is, as some say, for real, that doesn't translate into wins. If the O can't score points and control the clock, any defense is going to become fatigued. That is when mistakes and injuries rear their ugly heads. I am just not sure that the turnover bouquet is something we will see more of, or if it was just an opportunistic accumulation of events for us.

    That the Browns are a 9 point underdog Sunday tells me that the people we consider "in the know" don't have the same optimism that many on this board have. I really don't know enough about the Buffalo offensive scheme when Taylor was there, but perhaps it was more conducive to his strengths? Or perhaps Sunday was not much to measure anything? My fear is that the -9 is a signal that everyone is going to follow the Steelers recipe and confuse Taylor with a lot of zone mix-ups and blitzes when you least expect it.

    The other thing that bothers me is this business of sitting Mayfield until he is ready. Ready by what measurement? Is there some checklist or task list that he needs to get through? And what about if we do bring him in at say game 6 or 8? Is this current offensive scheme the exact one Mayfield will take over? Is the dink and dump because of Hue. Haley, or is it because of Taylor's limited range of skills?

    When Kosar got hurt, our offense played the same aggressive offense with Bernie's back-up. The execution may have not been there, but the offensive strategy was the same....balls to the wall. 

    Overall, I think this is perhaps the most intriguing season we have had since 1999. A lot of stuff will unfold, I am sure. I hope it is a lot of positive stuff. We will see.

    @ghoolie said:

    To continue.

    That the Browns are a 9 point underdog Sunday tells me that the people we consider "in the know" don't have the same optimism that many on this board have. I really don't know enough about the Buffalo offensive scheme when Taylor was there, but perhaps it was more conducive to his strengths? Or perhaps Sunday was not much to measure anything? My fear is that the -9 is a signal that everyone is going to follow the Steelers recipe and confuse Taylor with a lot of zone mix-ups and blitzes when you least expect it.

    Overall, I think this is perhaps the most intriguing season we have had since 1999. A lot of stuff will unfold, I am sure. I hope it is a lot of positive stuff. We will see.

    My thinking about the Browns being serious underdogs Sunday. The Saints lost at home in their home opener against a team they thought they were going to beat. They're POed, and will try and take it out on the Browns. They're one of the NFC Super Bowl contenders. Remember the Vikings- who I will say are a far superior team to the Browns needed one of the biggest miracle plays of all time to beat them in the playoffs last year. 

  • @ghoolie said:

    To continue.

    That the Browns are a 9 point underdog Sunday tells me that the people we consider "in the know" don't have the same optimism that many on this board have. I really don't know enough about the Buffalo offensive scheme when Taylor was there, but perhaps it was more conducive to his strengths? Or perhaps Sunday was not much to measure anything? My fear is that the -9 is a signal that everyone is going to follow the Steelers recipe and confuse Taylor with a lot of zone mix-ups and blitzes when you least expect it.

    Overall, I think this is perhaps the most intriguing season we have had since 1999. A lot of stuff will unfold, I am sure. I hope it is a lot of positive stuff. We will see.

    My thinking about the Browns being serious underdogs Sunday. The Saints lost at home in their home opener against a team they thought they were going to beat. They're POed, and will try and take it out on the Browns. They're one of the NFC Super Bowl contenders. Remember the Vikings- who I will say are a far superior team to the Browns needed one of the biggest miracle plays of all time to beat them in the playoffs last year. 

    @hoorta said:

    My thinking about the Browns being serious underdogs Sunday. The Saints lost at home in their home opener against a team they thought they were going to beat. They're POed, and will try and take it out on the Browns. They're one of the NFC Super Bowl contenders. Remember the Vikings- who I will say are a far superior team to the Browns needed one of the biggest miracle plays of all time to beat them in the playoffs last year. 

    Well, I never gave much to the    "this happened last week so this week they are going to be........" line of thinking.  I think hungry teams are hungry every game. I mean honestly Hoorts, if this was the case then teams who win one week should be easy to beat the next because they lighten up. I know the Saints are tough, and I am not saying we should be even money or close, but the -9 is a statement that maybe we haven't improved as much as we think. Then again, it will probably take the Browns upsetting a few teams before the line begins to respect us. I hope I am not watching another stink fest Sunday.

  • @hoorta said:

    My thinking about the Browns being serious underdogs Sunday. The Saints lost at home in their home opener against a team they thought they were going to beat. They're POed, and will try and take it out on the Browns. They're one of the NFC Super Bowl contenders. Remember the Vikings- who I will say are a far superior team to the Browns needed one of the biggest miracle plays of all time to beat them in the playoffs last year. 

    Well, I never gave much to the    "this happened last week so this week they are going to be........" line of thinking.  I think hungry teams are hungry every game. I mean honestly Hoorts, if this was the case then teams who win one week should be easy to beat the next because they lighten up. I know the Saints are tough, and I am not saying we should be even money or close, but the -9 is a statement that maybe we haven't improved as much as we think. Then again, it will probably take the Browns upsetting a few teams before the line begins to respect us. I hope I am not watching another stink fest Sunday.

    @ghoolie said:

    Well, I never gave much to the    "this happened last week so this week they are going to be........" line of thinking.

    It's actually too early in the season for that theory, me thinks.  Teams are pretty hungry just to play a real football game right now.  As the season wears on then a team who's been winning can certainly fall asleep a bit against a team that looks like they're vying for a top 3 draft pick.