Skip to content

Joe Thomas comment

The Browns Board
31 15 1.1k
  • He's talking about the front office tanking. Yes, like Astros and 76ers.

    Players and coaching staff were not trying to lose.

  • I guess it's not a new concept or a revelation. It just doesn't seem right when a player who was there, states it as fact.

    @lodilobo said:

    I guess it's not a new concept or a revelation. It just doesn't seem right when a player who was there, states it as fact.

    If it was a fact, and I think it was,  why should he lie about it? 

    Like I said here, the Browns losing was a combination of a plan to be bad in order to get good,   and just incredible ineptitude by the HC...and these players  to lose game.

    When you bring in bad players, they are going to find a way to lose.   When you combine that with an inept HC, there you have 0-16.    When you get better players, they still have to learn to win....which they have not done yet;  and, you still have to deal with the inept coach factor.    He may overcome his ineptitude here and there with better players.   We shall see.

  • @lodilobo said:

    I guess it's not a new concept or a revelation. It just doesn't seem right when a player who was there, states it as fact.

    If it was a fact, and I think it was,  why should he lie about it? 

    Like I said here, the Browns losing was a combination of a plan to be bad in order to get good,   and just incredible ineptitude by the HC...and these players  to lose game.

    When you bring in bad players, they are going to find a way to lose.   When you combine that with an inept HC, there you have 0-16.    When you get better players, they still have to learn to win....which they have not done yet;  and, you still have to deal with the inept coach factor.    He may overcome his ineptitude here and there with better players.   We shall see.

    @the-gipper said:

    If it was a fact, and I think it was,  why should he lie about it? 

    Like I said here, the Browns losing was a combination of a plan to be bad in order to get good,   and just incredible ineptitude by the HC...and these players  to lose game.

    When you bring in bad players, they are going to find a way to lose.   When you combine that with an inept HC, there you have 0-16.    When you get better players, they still have to learn to win....which they have not done yet;  and, you still have to deal with the inept coach factor.    He may overcome his ineptitude here and there with better players.   We shall see.

    It wasn't like he would have had to lie. He offered this information, I suppose, to defend Hue. Hey....by the way...I lost quite a few lunches betting with my accountant over the last 2 years. Do we have a case against Sashi?

  • Haslam and Sashi agreed on a tanking plan. As MKC wrote once, Hue's best roster (until now) was the team on the day he signed, after that good players like Mack, Greco, etc were allowed to leave, cut or traded. They probably should be better than 1-31 in two seasons but not by much.

  • I heard on a local radio show yesterday, that Joe T., when asked about Hue, stated that you can't judge him by the first 2 seasons because the organization was tanking....they were losing purposely. Does anyone buy this? If so...it makes me dislike Hue more for taking the HC job, and agreeing to lose by design.

    @lodilobo said:

    I heard on a local radio show yesterday, that Joe T., when asked about Hue, stated that you can't judge him by the first 2 seasons because the organization was tanking....they were losing purposely. Does anyone buy this? If so...it makes me dislike Hue more for taking the HC job, and agreeing to lose by design.

    I don't believe Hue tried to lose any games, no coach does that.

  • So there's no confusion, I believe the Browns plan was to strip the team to the foundation, acquire tons of picks, which would be high picks due to the lack of any veteran talent and the overwhelming youth of the roster, and rebuild from there.

    The Houston Astros or Philadelphia 76ers Plan for the NFL. 

    I do not think players or coaches were throwing games. 

  • So there's no confusion, I believe the Browns plan was to strip the team to the foundation, acquire tons of picks, which would be high picks due to the lack of any veteran talent and the overwhelming youth of the roster, and rebuild from there.

    The Houston Astros or Philadelphia 76ers Plan for the NFL. 

    I do not think players or coaches were throwing games. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    So there's no confusion, I believe the Browns plan was to strip the team to the foundation, acquire tons of picks, which would be high picks due to the lack of any veteran talent and the overwhelming youth of the roster, and rebuild from there.

    The Houston Astros or Philadelphia 76ers Plan for the NFL. 

    I do not think players or coaches were throwing games. 

    I agree. I also feel it was a "tank job" explained as Dutch has so well above.

    Mike

  • Oh well, they Shmucked the fans and season ticket holders.  So Shmuck them.

  • And we have had high picks for years and it hasn't done us any f u c k i n g  good since we always pick lousy.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    So there's no confusion, I believe the Browns plan was to strip the team to the foundation, acquire tons of picks, which would be high picks due to the lack of any veteran talent and the overwhelming youth of the roster, and rebuild from there.

    The Houston Astros or Philadelphia 76ers Plan for the NFL. 

    I do not think players or coaches were throwing games. 

    I agree. I also feel it was a "tank job" explained as Dutch has so well above.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I agree. I also feel it was a "tank job" explained as Dutch has so well above.

    Mike

    sashi was the hatchet man for the payroll Dorsey came in and did the same with a bunch of worthless players

  • anyway this is old news the haslems more or less already said they did

  • So there's no confusion, I believe the Browns plan was to strip the team to the foundation, acquire tons of picks, which would be high picks due to the lack of any veteran talent and the overwhelming youth of the roster, and rebuild from there.

    The Houston Astros or Philadelphia 76ers Plan for the NFL. 

    I do not think players or coaches were throwing games. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    So there's no confusion, I believe the Browns plan was to strip the team to the foundation, acquire tons of picks, which would be high picks due to the lack of any veteran talent and the overwhelming youth of the roster, and rebuild from there.

    The Houston Astros or Philadelphia 76ers Plan for the NFL. 

    I do not think players or coaches were throwing games. 

    Precisely.

  • And we have had high picks for years and it hasn't done us any f u c k i n g  good since we always pick lousy.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    And we have had high picks for years and it hasn't done us any f u c k i n g  good since we always pick lousy.

    Ahh!   There's the rub.  Hopefully that has changed the last couple of years.

    But, lets face it:    Last year we took  3 players in the first round:   Peppers, McGarrett, and Njoku.    This year we took 2:  Mayfield and Ward.

    Odds are that at least one or more of these will end up being a bust.   (I will resist the Browns history that says that 4 out of 5 will be that).

    So, which one is most likely to bust?

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    And we have had high picks for years and it hasn't done us any f u c k i n g  good since we always pick lousy.

    Ahh!   There's the rub.  Hopefully that has changed the last couple of years.

    But, lets face it:    Last year we took  3 players in the first round:   Peppers, McGarrett, and Njoku.    This year we took 2:  Mayfield and Ward.

    Odds are that at least one or more of these will end up being a bust.   (I will resist the Browns history that says that 4 out of 5 will be that).

    So, which one is most likely to bust?

    @the-gipper said:

    Ahh!   There's the rub.  Hopefully that has changed the last couple of years.

    But, lets face it:    Last year we took  3 players in the first round:   Peppers, McGarrett, and Njoku.    This year we took 2:  Mayfield and Ward.

    Odds are that at least one or more of these will end up being a bust.   (I will resist the Browns history that says that 4 out of 5 will be that).

    So, which one is most likely to bust?

    Njoku peppers Mayfield ward Garrett. In that order.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Ahh!   There's the rub.  Hopefully that has changed the last couple of years.

    But, lets face it:    Last year we took  3 players in the first round:   Peppers, McGarrett, and Njoku.    This year we took 2:  Mayfield and Ward.

    Odds are that at least one or more of these will end up being a bust.   (I will resist the Browns history that says that 4 out of 5 will be that).

    So, which one is most likely to bust?

    Njoku peppers Mayfield ward Garrett. In that order.

    @bjh2130 said:

    Njoku peppers Mayfield ward Garrett. In that order.

    The joke is definitely showing signs of Coleman disease. If he doesn't start hanging on to everything in sight, he's a goner.