Skip to content

***Official Browns Vs. New York Jets Thursday Night Football Game Thread***

The Browns Board
278 46 8.2k 1
  • I did not know cal was at the game...

    Browns fan catches possum roaming the stands at FirstEnergy Stadium

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/09/browns_fan_catches_possum_roam.html

    Busted Coverage@bustedcoverage
    Nbd, just a Browns fan catching a possum tonight at the stadium
    D Dste Ace wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    I did not know cal was at the game...

    Browns fan catches possum roaming the stands at FirstEnergy Stadium

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/09/browns_fan_catches_possum_roam.html

    For some reason I pictured Cal as being a tad older...?

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    That's cal to the right... 🙂

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    Sorry I haven't chimed in - was out last night watching the game and took today off to recover.    Things I noticed off rip without going back and watching again..

    Offense -

    - I appreciate the hard work Tyrod, but this is Mayfields hour now.   The floating ball to Calloway when he had beat Trumaine, the lack of pulling the trigger on the designed crossers, etc etc.  I am sure that Mayfield will be an elite NFL QB?  Not really.  Do I think he is at least better than Tyrod for the time being? Yes.   Of course that's not what you spend your #1 overall on, but I'm ecstatic at the results so far.  I can't complain.  

    - I like when we get Hyde moving on the stretch and the IZ from the gun.   It seems to be our most effective calls right now when running the ball.

    - Haley still hasn't figured out how to use Duke from the backfield.  But at least he did some good work lined out wide.  That pivot was a great call for the first down.  

    - Finally saw some of the bunch sets.   Only problem with Tyrod is that when it freed up a man he only hit Calloway the one time.  I do recall the drag getting open early, I want to say by Calloway or Hollywood again, I was screaming to throw it because the DB was cleared out by Njoku.  That is a gift from your OC and he simply didn't see it or refused to throw it. 

    - Baker shined bright, BUT don't get to enamored with our new toy yet fellow fans.  Let any QB, once you get tape on him these football IQ's will find ways to attack his skill set.  He did some great things, then I also remember him doing some things where he hesitated a bit.  I'm hoping that hesitation will be cleared up with more live reps and in game time.   But don't expect the guy to keep throwing for damn near 70% - it just doesn't work that way.    Keep in mind the almost pick in the endzone - that was a REALLY bad read, throw and decision.   Sheet like that, rookie mistakes, are to be expected.  So don't vote the kid pro-bowl....  yet.  

    - Njoku needs to pay attention to his routes and zone defenders.  Especially in regards to depth and when to square or speed out the route. 

    - Saw an actual, honest to God RPO last night.   The seam to Njoku off the pull and keep was a read the whole way.    Nice to get something like that sprinkled in there.   

    Defense - 

    Chris Smith performed his role as a 2pt edge quite well unless things are hazy?  I do remember him dropping wide when we sent an A gap pressure and Powell hit the cutback on him.   No need to get that kind of depth when you key run there guy.

    A few of those early runs were again to Miles side.  It's like the moment he gets a sack he gets ahead of himself and starts charging upfield.   Remember - you have to EARN those pass rush snaps.   It starts by limiting the run first otherwise you'll never been a complete player.  

    The flanker screens were a killer early.  More importantly the DB's attacking the proper alley were killer.   If you're pressing the #2 and he throws you a block, then as the DB covering the #1 you HAVE to know you maintain your outside leverage and force everything back inside to pursuit or make him run straight down the lane.  Don't give a WR space on the edge.   We did that a couple times I believe?  One on Ward the other on...?  I want to say Randall.   

    - Jobi is legit.  Coley tends to disappear at times I feel.   Zettel seemed ok, at least he wasn't some huge liability and was able to spell MG, which is a big deal.  

    - Some good blitz designs.  Good pressure all around for most of the night keeping the rookie uncomfortable.    

    I'll go over the stuff on youtube when I find it all.     But that was an emotional win, a great comeback and refreshing considering how we as a fan base usually see this stuff go.   I really do hope this will set us on a path to finding a consistent winning strategy.   But this team is far from a finished product, so I'll tell you now - don't get ahead of yourself.   Enjoy these early glimpses, let's continue to stock the cupboard with talent and move forward with a solid team not only this year but years to come.  

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Most electric sporting event l’ve ever been to.

    Great meeting you last night!

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @mark-o said:

    Great meeting you last night!

    Yes, same! I can’t believe l said you didn’t post a lot. I was thinking “Marco” when you gave your handle, haha. Duh moment for me...

  • Sorry I haven't chimed in - was out last night watching the game and took today off to recover.    Things I noticed off rip without going back and watching again..

    Offense -

    - I appreciate the hard work Tyrod, but this is Mayfields hour now.   The floating ball to Calloway when he had beat Trumaine, the lack of pulling the trigger on the designed crossers, etc etc.  I am sure that Mayfield will be an elite NFL QB?  Not really.  Do I think he is at least better than Tyrod for the time being? Yes.   Of course that's not what you spend your #1 overall on, but I'm ecstatic at the results so far.  I can't complain.  

    - I like when we get Hyde moving on the stretch and the IZ from the gun.   It seems to be our most effective calls right now when running the ball.

    - Haley still hasn't figured out how to use Duke from the backfield.  But at least he did some good work lined out wide.  That pivot was a great call for the first down.  

    - Finally saw some of the bunch sets.   Only problem with Tyrod is that when it freed up a man he only hit Calloway the one time.  I do recall the drag getting open early, I want to say by Calloway or Hollywood again, I was screaming to throw it because the DB was cleared out by Njoku.  That is a gift from your OC and he simply didn't see it or refused to throw it. 

    - Baker shined bright, BUT don't get to enamored with our new toy yet fellow fans.  Let any QB, once you get tape on him these football IQ's will find ways to attack his skill set.  He did some great things, then I also remember him doing some things where he hesitated a bit.  I'm hoping that hesitation will be cleared up with more live reps and in game time.   But don't expect the guy to keep throwing for damn near 70% - it just doesn't work that way.    Keep in mind the almost pick in the endzone - that was a REALLY bad read, throw and decision.   Sheet like that, rookie mistakes, are to be expected.  So don't vote the kid pro-bowl....  yet.  

    - Njoku needs to pay attention to his routes and zone defenders.  Especially in regards to depth and when to square or speed out the route. 

    - Saw an actual, honest to God RPO last night.   The seam to Njoku off the pull and keep was a read the whole way.    Nice to get something like that sprinkled in there.   

    Defense - 

    Chris Smith performed his role as a 2pt edge quite well unless things are hazy?  I do remember him dropping wide when we sent an A gap pressure and Powell hit the cutback on him.   No need to get that kind of depth when you key run there guy.

    A few of those early runs were again to Miles side.  It's like the moment he gets a sack he gets ahead of himself and starts charging upfield.   Remember - you have to EARN those pass rush snaps.   It starts by limiting the run first otherwise you'll never been a complete player.  

    The flanker screens were a killer early.  More importantly the DB's attacking the proper alley were killer.   If you're pressing the #2 and he throws you a block, then as the DB covering the #1 you HAVE to know you maintain your outside leverage and force everything back inside to pursuit or make him run straight down the lane.  Don't give a WR space on the edge.   We did that a couple times I believe?  One on Ward the other on...?  I want to say Randall.   

    - Jobi is legit.  Coley tends to disappear at times I feel.   Zettel seemed ok, at least he wasn't some huge liability and was able to spell MG, which is a big deal.  

    - Some good blitz designs.  Good pressure all around for most of the night keeping the rookie uncomfortable.    

    I'll go over the stuff on youtube when I find it all.     But that was an emotional win, a great comeback and refreshing considering how we as a fan base usually see this stuff go.   I really do hope this will set us on a path to finding a consistent winning strategy.   But this team is far from a finished product, so I'll tell you now - don't get ahead of yourself.   Enjoy these early glimpses, let's continue to stock the cupboard with talent and move forward with a solid team not only this year but years to come.  

    bjh2130B bjh2130 wrote on last edited by bjh2130

    @tiamat63 said:

    The flanker screens were a killer early.  More importantly the DB's attacking the proper alley were killer.   If you're pressing the #2 and he throws you a block, then as the DB covering the #1 you HAVE to know you maintain your outside leverage and force everything back inside to pursuit or make him run straight down the lane.  Don't give a WR space on the edge.   We did that a couple times I believe?  One on Ward the other on...?  I want to say Randall.   

    It was ward and peppers and they played it correctly. They took on the blockers and got on the outside shoulder of the blockers to keep the screen receiver inside and Carrie on multiple instances ran to the outside instead of cutting up in between the blocker and end of offensive line. Giving the wide receiver the inside Lane. I mean time and time again our guy who was blocked purposefully got on the outside shoulder of the block and no one helped them out.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The flanker screens were a killer early.  More importantly the DB's attacking the proper alley were killer.   If you're pressing the #2 and he throws you a block, then as the DB covering the #1 you HAVE to know you maintain your outside leverage and force everything back inside to pursuit or make him run straight down the lane.  Don't give a WR space on the edge.   We did that a couple times I believe?  One on Ward the other on...?  I want to say Randall.   

    It was ward and peppers and they played it correctly. They took on the blockers and got on the outside shoulder of the blockers to keep the screen receiver inside and Carrie on multiple instances ran to the outside instead of cutting up in between the blocker and end of offensive line. Giving the wide receiver the inside Lane. I mean time and time again our guy who was blocked purposefully got on the outside shoulder of the block and no one helped them out.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @bjh2130 said:

    It was ward and peppers and they played it correctly. They took on the blockers and got on the outside shoulder upset blockers to keep the screen receiver inside and Carrie in multiple instances ran to the outside instead of cutting up in between the blocker and end of offensive line. Giving the wide receiver the inside Lane. I mean time and time again our guy who was blocked purposefully got on the outside shoulder of the block and no one helped them out.

    That was more to my point - the DB on top of the #1 played his assignment incorrectly those couple times allowing a much bigger gain that should have been had. 

  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by

    Only downer on this clip is seeing someone wearing a Manziel shirt ...

    Cleveland Browns@Browns
    RETWEET IF THIS IS HOW YOU FEEL RIGHT NOW x.com/Browns/status/…
  • On a more serous note...

    Besides TT and Burgess did any other Browns get dinged last nite?

    Apparently both should be back soon... although how Burgess' knee was not season ending escapes me

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @tour2ma said:

    On a more serous note...

    Besides TT and Burgess did any other Browns get dinged last nite?

    Apparently both should be back soon... although how Burgess' knee was not season ending escapes me

    Tour, it was like night and day when Baker came in. Receivers were magically open, and passes were on target.  Unless Baker gets hurt, Tyrod isn't starting. don't know if I believe it, but WKNR has the betting odds of Baker starting against the Raiders as + 10,000.  🙂 

    And if Hue is dumb enough to start Taylor, we will hunt him down and kill him. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    On a more serous note...

    Besides TT and Burgess did any other Browns get dinged last nite?

    Apparently both should be back soon... although how Burgess' knee was not season ending escapes me

    Tour, it was like night and day when Baker came in. Receivers were magically open, and passes were on target.  Unless Baker gets hurt, Tyrod isn't starting. don't know if I believe it, but WKNR has the betting odds of Baker starting against the Raiders as + 10,000.  🙂 

    And if Hue is dumb enough to start Taylor, we will hunt him down and kill him. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Tour, it was like night and day when Baker came in. Receivers were magically open, and passes were on target.  Unless Baker gets hurt, Tyrod isn't starting. don't know if I believe it, but WKNR has the betting odds of Baker starting against the Raiders as + 10,000.  🙂 

    And if Hue is dumb enough to start Taylor, we will hunt him down and kill him. 

    If that happen we'll do the Lucca Brassi special on him...

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    LOVE THE WIN ! LOVE THE DEFENSE!

       About Tyrod - the Jets game planned to shut him down, and Tyrod doesn't have the skills to

    beat them. I believe he's banged up - his passes didn't have the same energy as earlier on. He didn't run like he did

    earlier on.

       When Baker went in, he is brilliant in seeing the field, and can accurately zip a pass into tight windows. Tyrod just can't do that.

    This defense is surprising more and more folks every week. One of my earlier favorite players - Ogunjobi - is rocking the los and he can make plays where it's surprising to see him get there, as big and powerful as he is.

      And Ward. My hunch is, those who complained about the Browns drafting him over Bradley Chubb should be thankful Ward is a Cleveland Browns. Ward is brilliant, and has the skills to dominate in the secondary.

    Like I've said elsewhere, my opinion, guys with the visual/mental processing skills in an instant are rare in the NFL. These guys are very, very hard to find.

       Darnold throw a lot of ints in college, threw ints vs the Browns. I think he lacks some of those skills. Baker SEES the field like instantly, and has the arm to zing a pass right on the money after making the right read and decision, and he has an uncanny escapability - like he has "eyes in the back of his head".

       Instincts - seems his are way high on the charts. I'm sure Tyrod knew he would lose his job as starter to Baker sooner than later.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    Tyrod should feel embarrassed that a kid with no reps with the 1's came in.. Cleaned up the stinky mess he left on the field and helped the team achieve it first victory in awhile..

  • Tyrod should feel embarrassed that a kid with no reps with the 1's came in.. Cleaned up the stinky mess he left on the field and helped the team achieve it first victory in awhile..

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    Tyrod should feel embarrassed that a kid with no reps with the 1's came in.. Cleaned up the stinky mess he left on the field and helped the team achieve it first victory in awhile..

    Not at all. Surely he knows that Baker has outstanding skills that he doesn't have, and it was only a matter of time. The Jets saw what Tyrod was able to be doing, and they took it away. Tyrod just wasn't able to get past it.

  • @nickers said:

    Tyrod should feel embarrassed that a kid with no reps with the 1's came in.. Cleaned up the stinky mess he left on the field and helped the team achieve it first victory in awhile..

    Not at all. Surely he knows that Baker has outstanding skills that he doesn't have, and it was only a matter of time. The Jets saw what Tyrod was able to be doing, and they took it away. Tyrod just wasn't able to get past it.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    Not at all. Surely he knows that Baker has outstanding skills that he doesn't have, and it was only a matter of time. The Jets saw what Tyrod was able to be doing, and they took it away. Tyrod just wasn't able to get past it.

    Tyrod is a complete fraud at th Qb position

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    being a "game manager" type doesn't equate to fraud. Tyrod doesn't have all the skills Baker does, was banged up,

    and just isn't much a danger to zip long balls around the field. Tyrod is actually the real deal, his teammates know it.

    But now, it's Baker time I think. Tyrod's limitations showed badly vs the Jets. Oakland won't be much easier than the Jets on defense.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    I don't think TT's "limitations" showed... he simply has not played well for us. Again... I can only think of one series vs. NOLA where he was sharp. He played much better in BUF last year. Hell... he played better in our preseason, but 5 for 5 in the opener seems like long ago.

    Regardless... Tyrod is now the most expensive back-up in the league.

    Fraud? Really, nickers? Does casting dispersion make you feel better?

  • LOVE THE WIN ! LOVE THE DEFENSE!

       About Tyrod - the Jets game planned to shut him down, and Tyrod doesn't have the skills to

    beat them. I believe he's banged up - his passes didn't have the same energy as earlier on. He didn't run like he did

    earlier on.

       When Baker went in, he is brilliant in seeing the field, and can accurately zip a pass into tight windows. Tyrod just can't do that.

    This defense is surprising more and more folks every week. One of my earlier favorite players - Ogunjobi - is rocking the los and he can make plays where it's surprising to see him get there, as big and powerful as he is.

      And Ward. My hunch is, those who complained about the Browns drafting him over Bradley Chubb should be thankful Ward is a Cleveland Browns. Ward is brilliant, and has the skills to dominate in the secondary.

    Like I've said elsewhere, my opinion, guys with the visual/mental processing skills in an instant are rare in the NFL. These guys are very, very hard to find.

       Darnold throw a lot of ints in college, threw ints vs the Browns. I think he lacks some of those skills. Baker SEES the field like instantly, and has the arm to zing a pass right on the money after making the right read and decision, and he has an uncanny escapability - like he has "eyes in the back of his head".

       Instincts - seems his are way high on the charts. I'm sure Tyrod knew he would lose his job as starter to Baker sooner than later.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    LOVE THE WIN ! LOVE THE DEFENSE!

       About Tyrod - the Jets game planned to shut him down, and Tyrod doesn't have the skills to

    beat them. I believe he's banged up - his passes didn't have the same energy as earlier on. He didn't run like he did

    earlier on.

       When Baker went in, he is brilliant in seeing the field, and can accurately zip a pass into tight windows. Tyrod just can't do that.

    This defense is surprising more and more folks every week. One of my earlier favorite players - Ogunjobi - is rocking the los and he can make plays where it's surprising to see him get there, as big and powerful as he is.

      And Ward. My hunch is, those who complained about the Browns drafting him over Bradley Chubb should be thankful Ward is a Cleveland Browns. Ward is brilliant, and has the skills to dominate in the secondary.

    Like I've said elsewhere, my opinion, guys with the visual/mental processing skills in an instant are rare in the NFL. These guys are very, very hard to find.

       Darnold throw a lot of ints in college, threw ints vs the Browns. I think he lacks some of those skills. Baker SEES the field like instantly, and has the arm to zing a pass right on the money after making the right read and decision, and he has an uncanny escapability - like he has "eyes in the back of his head".

       Instincts - seems his are way high on the charts. I'm sure Tyrod knew he would lose his job as starter to Baker sooner than later.

    And that is where the Brees comparison goes well beyond the size. Exact same qualities and as Baker gets more experience he will also become just as good at diagnosing defenses and knowing exactly where to go with the ball before he even looks up. Brees is a special talent and I now see Baker is in that same exact league. Will he have some growing pains? Sure he will. There were a couple I bet he wished he'd had back that were so fast the DBs just could not intercept, but they did knock them down. Also our youngest receivers have to learn to come back for the ball. They can't just wait for arrival, no matter how much zip it has. This is the NFL.

  • I don't think TT's "limitations" showed... he simply has not played well for us. Again... I can only think of one series vs. NOLA where he was sharp. He played much better in BUF last year. Hell... he played better in our preseason, but 5 for 5 in the opener seems like long ago.

    Regardless... Tyrod is now the most expensive back-up in the league.

    Fraud? Really, nickers? Does casting dispersion make you feel better?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @tour2ma said:

    I don't think TT's "limitations" showed... he simply has not played well for us. Again... I can only think of one series vs. NOLA where he was sharp. He played much better in BUF last year. Hell... he played better in our preseason, but 5 for 5 in the opener seems like long ago.

    Regardless... Tyrod is now the most expensive back-up in the league.

    Fraud? Really, nickers? Does casting dispersion make you feel better?

    Hmmm Tour- just thought of this- what would Hue have done if Tyrod hadn't gotten hurt? Down by 14 it was looking mighty bleak.  Ride his lame horse with him off into the sunset?  

    Don't forget Taylor in the past couple games had two horribly underthrown deep balls- that would have been touchdowns if they were on target. Last week the int to Gordon, and this week Calloway had his guy seriously beat and Taylor underthrew him by at least 5 yards. 

    Now comparisons. the few times Tyrod recognized he had a guy open, the passes were uncatchable.  Well into the second quarter we had negative passing yards- that's beyond putrid. 4\14 for 19 yards.  Mayfield would have been 20\23 if not for some drops, including a very uncharacteristic one to Landry that hit him right between the 8 and 0. 

    Not buying the Jets weren't ready for Baker- you have to prepare for that contingency. Those were the same guys catching passes for the Browns, and amazing what happens when the ball gets out in a hurry and on target. Everything I liked about Mayfield pre draft was on full display. Dan Orlovsky commented how hard it had to be getting zero first team reps, and then come out and put on a performance like that. Nah- not ready to put Baker in Canton yet, but the initial game was encouraging. BTW PFF said Baker's first game graded out the highest since they've been keeping track of such things. 

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers

    I stand by my statement.. Taylor is a fraud in the sense.. We got sold a bill of faulty goods.. He plays like caca...

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by

    rem the jets saw tyrod twice a year, they know him. Promise u that in a year or two you'll see our div rivals at times make baker look stupid. But that'll be on the OC not baker. Tyrods ineffevtuality last night isnt 100% on him. All that being said, baker see's things downfield tyrod doesnt. Thats obvious. Bakers just one of those kids. All i hope for is that when defenses start squatting on those slants and wheels...they let baker throw it over the top. 

  • I did not know cal was at the game...

    Browns fan catches possum roaming the stands at FirstEnergy Stadium

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/09/browns_fan_catches_possum_roam.html

    Busted Coverage@bustedcoverage
    Nbd, just a Browns fan catching a possum tonight at the stadium
    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    I did not know cal was at the game...

    Browns fan catches possum roaming the stands at FirstEnergy Stadium

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/09/browns_fan_catches_possum_roam.html

    And we call Steelers fans dumb? Bet that guy didn't know possums have razor sharp teeth and can inflict serious damage if they decide to bite you. Saw a clip on Animal Planet where an exterminator had to remove one from a lady's house- and he was wearing Kevlar gauntlets when he grabbed it.