Skip to content

Some things will never change

The Browns Board
74 25 1.7k 1
  • @orion said:

    The QB sneak is an almost guaranteed first down.  (and I'm sure you meant 4th down and inches)  

    How much did we spend on our two guards (and throw in the center)?  But we didn't think we could QB sneak a 4th and inches?  

    haha yes meant 4th and inches, now we know why I don't coach. I still think statistically punting was the right thing to do. They not only had to get a TD but also convert a 2pt play. I know they did but odds were on our side. 

    Secondly based on the officiating just how confident are you that we wouldnt have got screwed on the spot again turning the ball over on the 18??

    @jcam222 said:

    They not only had to get a TD but also convert a 2pt play.

    ....whether we went for it (& failed) or not.   And with Mitchell gone and our DB's moving positions to cover for him, we couldn't stop the pass.  

    At the time, I wanted to sneak it for the inches required.   Then we could all shake hands and go take a shower.

  • @jcam222 said:

    They not only had to get a TD but also convert a 2pt play.

    ....whether we went for it (& failed) or not.   And with Mitchell gone and our DB's moving positions to cover for him, we couldn't stop the pass.  

    At the time, I wanted to sneak it for the inches required.   Then we could all shake hands and go take a shower.

    @orion said:

    ....whether we went for it (& failed) or not.   And with Mitchell gone and our DB's moving positions to cover for him, we couldn't stop the pass.  

    At the time, I wanted to sneak it for the inches required.   Then we could all shake hands and go take a shower.

    I couldn't find anywhere else, and it could have been changed slightly in either direction, but since you KEEP bringing it up.

    Down by 6 with 1:00 to go, 9% probability rate. So down by 8 would probably come close to cut that in half, say 5%.

    4th and inches probability. The data I could find says around 65%. Just in case, say there has been a 10% increase, that is STILL 20 less likely to succeed. That is just getting it, not failing, giving the other team a shorter field.

    So the data obviously shows that punting results in a higher percentage. So think all you want, but dont give out wrong information to try and prove a point, degrade the coaching for making the statistical decision, and then say they lost the game because of that.

    And as I pointed out earlier and so did someone else, completely rail on the officials and say it was rigged, cheaters, etc and that the Browns were robbed on the spot and then turn around, expect the team to gather themselves seconds after such a terrible call and think they then would get the best spot ever when 22 players are in the exact same place.

  • @orion said:

    ....whether we went for it (& failed) or not.   And with Mitchell gone and our DB's moving positions to cover for him, we couldn't stop the pass.  

    At the time, I wanted to sneak it for the inches required.   Then we could all shake hands and go take a shower.

    I couldn't find anywhere else, and it could have been changed slightly in either direction, but since you KEEP bringing it up.

    Down by 6 with 1:00 to go, 9% probability rate. So down by 8 would probably come close to cut that in half, say 5%.

    4th and inches probability. The data I could find says around 65%. Just in case, say there has been a 10% increase, that is STILL 20 less likely to succeed. That is just getting it, not failing, giving the other team a shorter field.

    So the data obviously shows that punting results in a higher percentage. So think all you want, but dont give out wrong information to try and prove a point, degrade the coaching for making the statistical decision, and then say they lost the game because of that.

    And as I pointed out earlier and so did someone else, completely rail on the officials and say it was rigged, cheaters, etc and that the Browns were robbed on the spot and then turn around, expect the team to gather themselves seconds after such a terrible call and think they then would get the best spot ever when 22 players are in the exact same place.

    @gunz41 said:

    I couldn't find anywhere else, and it could have been changed slightly in either direction, but since you KEEP bringing it up.

    Down by 6 with 1:00 to go, 9% probability rate. So down by 8 would probably come close to cut that in half, say 5%.

    4th and inches probability. The data I could find says around 65%. Just in case, say there has been a 10% increase, that is STILL 20 less likely to succeed. That is just getting it, not failing, giving the other team a shorter field.

    So the data obviously shows that punting results in a higher percentage. So think all you want, but dont give out wrong information to try and prove a point, degrade the coaching for making the statistical decision, and then say they lost the game because of that.

    And as I pointed out earlier and so did someone else, completely rail on the officials and say it was rigged, cheaters, etc and that the Browns were robbed on the spot and then turn around, expect the team to gather themselves seconds after such a terrible call and think they then would get the best spot ever when 22 players are in the exact same place.

     With the track record this year of ST.... I think going for it on 4th and 5 from our own goal line might have better odds. 

    Only semi kidding

  • @orion said:

    ....whether we went for it (& failed) or not.   And with Mitchell gone and our DB's moving positions to cover for him, we couldn't stop the pass.  

    At the time, I wanted to sneak it for the inches required.   Then we could all shake hands and go take a shower.

    I couldn't find anywhere else, and it could have been changed slightly in either direction, but since you KEEP bringing it up.

    Down by 6 with 1:00 to go, 9% probability rate. So down by 8 would probably come close to cut that in half, say 5%.

    4th and inches probability. The data I could find says around 65%. Just in case, say there has been a 10% increase, that is STILL 20 less likely to succeed. That is just getting it, not failing, giving the other team a shorter field.

    So the data obviously shows that punting results in a higher percentage. So think all you want, but dont give out wrong information to try and prove a point, degrade the coaching for making the statistical decision, and then say they lost the game because of that.

    And as I pointed out earlier and so did someone else, completely rail on the officials and say it was rigged, cheaters, etc and that the Browns were robbed on the spot and then turn around, expect the team to gather themselves seconds after such a terrible call and think they then would get the best spot ever when 22 players are in the exact same place.

    @gunz41 said:

    I couldn't find anywhere else,

    Sports On Earth:

    You can hate the quarterback sneak all you want. It works, and it is battle-tested enough that the 80% success rate is no data blip. Assuming that it is 4th-and-inches, the sneak is such a good percentage play that it should be used far more often:
  • @gunz41 said:

    I couldn't find anywhere else,

    Sports On Earth:

    You can hate the quarterback sneak all you want. It works, and it is battle-tested enough that the 80% success rate is no data blip. Assuming that it is 4th-and-inches, the sneak is such a good percentage play that it should be used far more often:

    @orion said:

    Sports On Earth:

    Ok, so I was 5% off. Still less than 91-95%. I am sure there is also data somewhere showing the difference in doing that with Cam Newton or Big Ben vs Baker sized player.

    Whatever. It doesn't matter what someone says, some people are going to believe what they want and nothing is going to change their mind. So have at it boys, it was fixed, the coach is the dumbest ever, everyone on here would have won that game, etc.

  • In all honesty, in all my days I have never seen a bunch of hapless misanthropes blaming their shiddy losses on the refs. 2 weeks ago it was the kicker. 

    The BIG LOSER? Marty HaleyStiener and his Bernie Kosar philosophy of sitting on a lead and having no balls to close a game out. Seriously, 2 yards to end the game. Raider had 126 men in the box...SALIVATING for a run. Had the Browns called a play-action pass, the Raiders D would have bitten with full force, and a little flip over the middle would have broken their backs.

    The bigger question is, why are the Browns constantly in a position where a last-minute bad call causes them to lose? It is bad coaching, and I stress this again...........a TOTAL lack of discipline among the players. Fumbles, penalties, Running kickoffs, out to the 12-yard line, not kicking extra points................The issue is not the bad calls, the issue is why do the Browns continue to be the least organized, focused, smart and disciplined team in the NFL?

    I wanted Hue Jackson fired after 1 quarter of his first pre-season game. I called for this based on the same things we keep seeing week after week. The only shame there is in losing if the reasons for the losing are not lack of talent, but instead because of a lack of fundamentals, coaching, and discipline.

    Hue Jackson blows.

    @ghoolie said:

    In all honesty, in all my days I have never seen a bunch  . . . . .

    Thanks for that sir.  You are perfectly correct.  I don't have to write anything because you said it perfectly.

    How many times have the Browns 2.0 scored 45 or more?  Once in 2007?

    Todd Haley is doing for the Browns what he did for PIT.  Scoring points.

    We thought that defense was fine and it was the offense that was questionable.

    What happened?  I only watched the highlights.  The fool game is downloading now.  I may have more to not say later.

    Thanks Ghoolie.

  • @ghoolie said:

    In all honesty, in all my days I have never seen a bunch  . . . . .

    Thanks for that sir.  You are perfectly correct.  I don't have to write anything because you said it perfectly.

    How many times have the Browns 2.0 scored 45 or more?  Once in 2007?

    Todd Haley is doing for the Browns what he did for PIT.  Scoring points.

    We thought that defense was fine and it was the offense that was questionable.

    What happened?  I only watched the highlights.  The fool game is downloading now.  I may have more to not say later.

    Thanks Ghoolie.

    @dick-mellon said:

    Thanks for that sir.  You are perfectly correct.  I don't have to write anything because you said it perfectly.

    How many times have the Browns 2.0 scored 45 or more?  Once in 2007?

    Todd Haley is doing for the Browns what he did for PIT.  Scoring points.

    We thought that defense was fine and it was the offense that was questionable.

    What happened?  I only watched the highlights.  The fool game is downloading now.  I may have more to not say later.

    Thanks Ghoolie.

    My pleasure

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Cool, I do too. But the game plan determines the game outcome. Why is it the Lombardi Trophy and not the Jim Brown trophy?

    He was popular at the time...

    @nickers said:

    He was popular at the time...

    If you mean Lombardi....check out some of his books and see why the trophy was named for him. You watch the players......they play the coaches game. 

  • Some things wont ever change. Like You Ghoolie, You said months ago the Browns wont win a game all season and we would get crushed in every game. In fact you say the same thing every year about every damn coach we ever have. If you don't see any improvement in this team then you are not a fan. How is this loss Hue's fault now that he no longer calls plays? The way I se it we did shoot ourselves in the foot but it is hard to overcome when you have lousy refs that must of had money on the Raid-UHS  and now you have the NFL calling all the NFL shows forcing them to say the refs made the right call, Just like they did over Bottlegate.  We scored 42 points! How is that for a shitty team? We lost 2 games by 3 points each sounds to me we are right with them just need something to bring it together. I am a Browns fan, I support this team, You are either with the Browns or against the Browns and you seem to love when we lose so you can cry about how much you hate the coach. If you know so much why not apply for the HC job? This team was awful long before Hue took over,  We had no stability at any position when Hue arrived, Things are way better than a year ago, Things are a million times better than a year ago. GO BROWNS! And Fuk all the haters.

  • I hate losing!

     That makes me a hater?

    Bite me then!

  • No automatic alt text available.

  • I hate losing!

     That makes me a hater?

    Bite me then!

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I hate losing!

     That makes me a hater?

    Bite me then!

    You hate losing? You think any of us like it? We been losing so long now but now you are fed up with it? Maybe we never win because we change a coach to damn fast? We need to build a damn team and build chemistry, That takes time. How many games do you expect to win after only winning 1 game the last 2 seasons.

  • No hater here.. But those 2 calls alone are inexcusable when a team is already struggling to break through with so many rookies.. 4th and goal and you do a reverse?? Are you F'ing kidding me?

    WHY GO FOR THE 2 Point conversion the 2nd time(or for that matter the 1st one!!).. We are sitting at 28 to 14 . THEN WE GO FOR A 2 POINT.. F'ING WHY??? Put the 1 point on the board and the score is 29 to 14... This means we win at the end of regulation because even if they score the 2point conversion the score is 43 to 42.. Or 44 to 42 if we had just freaking kicked the extra points..

    Coaching matters!!  Whoever is making these stupid Shmucking calls needs to be called out!! If it isn't Hue, then Hue needs to get a freaking handle on this..

    BobPound

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    I hate losing!

     That makes me a hater?

    Bite me then!

    You hate losing? You think any of us like it? We been losing so long now but now you are fed up with it? Maybe we never win because we change a coach to damn fast? We need to build a damn team and build chemistry, That takes time. How many games do you expect to win after only winning 1 game the last 2 seasons.

    @medicineman said:

    You hate losing? You think any of us like it? We been losing so long now but now you are fed up with it? Maybe we never win because we change a coach to damn fast? We need to build a damn team and build chemistry, That takes time. How many games do you expect to win after only winning 1 game the last 2 seasons.

    I predicted 2 wins. That is based on the coaching staff record. Third year...two wins. That is worse than bad. Change coaches?  Shoot em for all I care. Get somebody in here more worried about winning than he is about being all pc and nice. Fug hue in the arse til he's gone or dead or forgotten. He stinks and nothing gonna deodorize him!

  • 99.9% of the coaches in the league having an 8 point league at the end of the game , less then 2 minutes to play with 3rd and inches on our own 18 would have punted too. The 00.1% of the coaches would have punted 99.99% of the time LOL. That is a minute amount of the time someone would have went for it. 

    @jcam222 said:

    99.9% of the coaches in the league having an 8 point league at the end of the game , less then 2 minutes to play with 3rd and inches on our own 18 would have punted too. The 00.1% of the coaches would have punted 99.99% of the time LOL. That is a minute amount of the time someone would have went for it. 

    It's funny, it doesn't even seem like a question to me. You're up 8, you just caused a turnover on downs, Raiders had no timeouts, and there's little time left. 99.99% of coaches punt there, and you know what? It might even be 100%. I honestly think the only reason this decision is questioned is because we lost. 

    Think about it this way. Suppose we DID go for it, and we didn't get it. CAN YOU IMAGINE the outcry?! The laughter from the NFL? The ridicule? The sheer outrage from fans? Can anybody really tell me that if we didn't get it, they'd be ok with the decision? I honestly don't know. 

    Here's what I can tell you. Maybe it's time to flip conventional thinking. The Browns were two inches (approximately) from the victory. They never measured after the "re-spot", so we can't be sure how much they needed. But it couldn't have been much. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, maybe it's time we went for the win instead of HOPING we get the win? If we're 2-4 inches from a victory, can we GET those inches? We of all people, especially our players and coaches, know how precious they are. Perhaps we go get the damn win. When is the last time you saw that QB forward sneak fail? I realize Baker isn't as strong as Kizer, but isn't that the play you run? 

    I don't know. I'm just searching for answers that aren't there. You're a couple of inches from a victory. Maybe you just roll the dice and try to win. All I know is, when we punted that ball, after that insane review, I knew we lost. You knew we lost. The players...they knew, too. 

  • @nickers said:

    He was popular at the time...

    If you mean Lombardi....check out some of his books and see why the trophy was named for him. You watch the players......they play the coaches game. 

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    If you mean Lombardi....check out some of his books and see why the trophy was named for him. You watch the players......they play the coaches game. 

    I know... Im no Millenial 😛

  • @jcam222 said:

    99.9% of the coaches in the league having an 8 point league at the end of the game , less then 2 minutes to play with 3rd and inches on our own 18 would have punted too. The 00.1% of the coaches would have punted 99.99% of the time LOL. That is a minute amount of the time someone would have went for it. 

    It's funny, it doesn't even seem like a question to me. You're up 8, you just caused a turnover on downs, Raiders had no timeouts, and there's little time left. 99.99% of coaches punt there, and you know what? It might even be 100%. I honestly think the only reason this decision is questioned is because we lost. 

    Think about it this way. Suppose we DID go for it, and we didn't get it. CAN YOU IMAGINE the outcry?! The laughter from the NFL? The ridicule? The sheer outrage from fans? Can anybody really tell me that if we didn't get it, they'd be ok with the decision? I honestly don't know. 

    Here's what I can tell you. Maybe it's time to flip conventional thinking. The Browns were two inches (approximately) from the victory. They never measured after the "re-spot", so we can't be sure how much they needed. But it couldn't have been much. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, maybe it's time we went for the win instead of HOPING we get the win? If we're 2-4 inches from a victory, can we GET those inches? We of all people, especially our players and coaches, know how precious they are. Perhaps we go get the damn win. When is the last time you saw that QB forward sneak fail? I realize Baker isn't as strong as Kizer, but isn't that the play you run? 

    I don't know. I'm just searching for answers that aren't there. You're a couple of inches from a victory. Maybe you just roll the dice and try to win. All I know is, when we punted that ball, after that insane review, I knew we lost. You knew we lost. The players...they knew, too. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    It's funny, it doesn't even seem like a question to me. You're up 8, you just caused a turnover on downs, Raiders had no timeouts, and there's little time left. 99.99% of coaches punt there, and you know what? It might even be 100%. I honestly think the only reason this decision is questioned is because we lost. 

    Think about it this way. Suppose we DID go for it, and we didn't get it. CAN YOU IMAGINE the outcry?! The laughter from the NFL? The ridicule? The sheer outrage from fans? Can anybody really tell me that if we didn't get it, they'd be ok with the decision? I honestly don't know. 

    Here's what I can tell you. Maybe it's time to flip conventional thinking. The Browns were two inches (approximately) from the victory. They never measured after the "re-spot", so we can't be sure how much they needed. But it couldn't have been much. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, maybe it's time we went for the win instead of HOPING we get the win? If we're 2-4 inches from a victory, can we GET those inches? We of all people, especially our players and coaches, know how precious they are. Perhaps we go get the damn win. When is the last time you saw that QB forward sneak fail? I realize Baker isn't as strong as Kizer, but isn't that the play you run? 

    I don't know. I'm just searching for answers that aren't there. You're a couple of inches from a victory. Maybe you just roll the dice and try to win. All I know is, when we punted that ball, after that insane review, I knew we lost. You knew we lost. The players...they knew, too. 

    I have said from the onset... Hue is the weakest link next to Anus Jones...

  • @medicineman said:

    You hate losing? You think any of us like it? We been losing so long now but now you are fed up with it? Maybe we never win because we change a coach to damn fast? We need to build a damn team and build chemistry, That takes time. How many games do you expect to win after only winning 1 game the last 2 seasons.

    I predicted 2 wins. That is based on the coaching staff record. Third year...two wins. That is worse than bad. Change coaches?  Shoot em for all I care. Get somebody in here more worried about winning than he is about being all pc and nice. Fug hue in the arse til he's gone or dead or forgotten. He stinks and nothing gonna deodorize him!

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I predicted 2 wins. That is based on the coaching staff record. Third year...two wins. That is worse than bad. Change coaches?  Shoot em for all I care. Get somebody in here more worried about winning than he is about being all pc and nice. Fug hue in the arse til he's gone or dead or forgotten. He stinks and nothing gonna deodorize him!

    I get what you are saying but look at our past since we came back, New coach every other year and 1 after only 1 season. I am not saying Hue is smart by any stretch and no I don't like him but I am so sick of us changing QB and Coaches so soon. We get a new coach He is going to want to draft a QB that HE picked out  and want to re do the entire roster and of course after only winning 4 games with ALL new players we get another coach and he wants to draft a QB that HE picked and rinse and repeat the same since 1999, We were not going to win many games this season, Let the season pan out. Now if they want to bump either Todd or Greg up to HC then I am ALL for that right now

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    I predicted 2 wins. That is based on the coaching staff record. Third year...two wins. That is worse than bad. Change coaches?  Shoot em for all I care. Get somebody in here more worried about winning than he is about being all pc and nice. Fug hue in the arse til he's gone or dead or forgotten. He stinks and nothing gonna deodorize him!

    I get what you are saying but look at our past since we came back, New coach every other year and 1 after only 1 season. I am not saying Hue is smart by any stretch and no I don't like him but I am so sick of us changing QB and Coaches so soon. We get a new coach He is going to want to draft a QB that HE picked out  and want to re do the entire roster and of course after only winning 4 games with ALL new players we get another coach and he wants to draft a QB that HE picked and rinse and repeat the same since 1999, We were not going to win many games this season, Let the season pan out. Now if they want to bump either Todd or Greg up to HC then I am ALL for that right now

    @medicineman said:

    I get what you are saying but look at our past since we came back, New coach every other year and 1 after only 1 season. I am not saying Hue is smart by any stretch and no I don't like him but I am so sick of us changing QB and Coaches so soon. We get a new coach He is going to want to draft a QB that HE picked out  and want to re do the entire roster and of course after only winning 4 games with ALL new players we get another coach and he wants to draft a QB that HE picked and rinse and repeat the same since 1999, We were not going to win many games this season, Let the season pan out. Now if they want to bump either Todd or Greg up to HC then I am ALL for that right now

    In Pettine I saw a coach worth keeping. Hue just poisoned lake Erie this summer and should have been shipped off. Why keep a lousy coach? For continuity? Losing begets losing. Hue is a loser. From planning, coaching and QBs selection, he has done nothing but fail. I see keeping this cat around is the equivalent to Insanity!

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    I hate losing!

     That makes me a hater?

    Bite me then!

    You hate losing? You think any of us like it? We been losing so long now but now you are fed up with it? Maybe we never win because we change a coach to damn fast? We need to build a damn team and build chemistry, That takes time. How many games do you expect to win after only winning 1 game the last 2 seasons.

    @medicineman said:

    You hate losing? You think any of us like it? We been losing so long now but now you are fed up with it? Maybe we never win because we change a coach to damn fast? We need to build a damn team and build chemistry, That takes time. How many games do you expect to win after only winning 1 game the last 2 seasons.

    Team chemistry involves following a proven loser? I picked em to win 2 this year. Others have jumped ahead while we just spin wheels. We got a team. Just needs some real coaches now. Talented player, leads late in most games. Losses! That's the only continuity I've seen. Lose, lose,lose,lose,lose. Year after year after year after year after year. 

     I'm going fishing!