Skip to content

The Day The Music (Finally) Died

Barber Shop Talk
10 5 718
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #1

    Peggy Sue Gerron of Buddy Holly and the Crickets fame died at age 76 in Holly's hometown of Lubbock and was on the front page of the local paper when we got in there to stay overnight last night. Here is the article:

    http://www.lubbockonline.com/news/20181001/peggy-sue-gerron-inspiration-for-buddy-holly-song-dies-in-lubbock 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Oddly, I will be going to see the Surf Ballroom and the site of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly in just a little over a week from now.

  • JPPT1974J JPPT1974 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    I kind of wish that they had the music of yesterday today for those that hear music that is not the music we all grew up with or for those who loved hearing it as a forty four year old woman now. That started listening to this music as an 11-year old girl.

    Still do as next year will be the 60th anniversary of Buddy, Ritchie, and Big Bopper's tragic plane crash in February 1959. RIP Peggy Sue. As really glad he wrote a song about you. Thoughts are with your family and loved ones.

  • Oddly, I will be going to see the Surf Ballroom and the site of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly in just a little over a week from now.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #4

    @the-gipper said:

    Oddly, I will be going to see the Surf Ballroom and the site of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly in just a little over a week from now.

    Amazing movie done well by Gary Busey.

    The Buddy Holly Story is a 1978 biographical film which tells the life story of rock musician Buddy Holly.[4] It features an Academy Award-winning musical score, adapted by Joe Renzetti and Oscar-nominated lead performance by Gary Busey.

    The Buddy Holly Story
    Buddy holly story cover.jpg
    The Buddy Holly Story DVD cover
    Directed by Steve Rash
    Produced by Fred Bauer
    Edward H. Cohen
    Frances Avrut-Bauer
    Fred T. Kuehnert
    Written by Novel:
    John Goldrosen
    Story:
    Alan Swyer
    Screenplay:
    Robert Gittler
    Starring Gary Busey
    Don Stroud
    Charles Martin Smith
    Conrad Janis
    Paul Mooney
    Music by Joe Renzetti
    Cinematography Stevan Larner
    Edited by David E. Blewitt
    James Seidelman
    Distributed by Columbia Pictures
    Release date
    • May 18, 1978
    Running time
    113 minutes
    Country United States
    Language English
    Budget $1.2 million[1] or $2 million[2]
    Box office $14.3 million[3]

    The film also stars Don Stroud, Charles Martin Smith, Conrad Janis, William Jordan, and Maria Richwine, who played Maria Elena Holly.

    It was adapted by Robert Gittler from Buddy Holly: His Life and Music, the biography of Holly by John Goldrosen, and was directed by Steve Rash.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Yes, Busey did an amazing job in that movie.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    The Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson) had been a D.J. in my hometown at the time. Interesting bio here from Wiki. He wrote some pretty famous songs besides his own "Chantilly Lace". Running Bear, White Lightnin', Little Red Riding Hood were all his. His loss was felt more in Beaumont than the other two were.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bopper

  • I kind of wish that they had the music of yesterday today for those that hear music that is not the music we all grew up with or for those who loved hearing it as a forty four year old woman now. That started listening to this music as an 11-year old girl.

    Still do as next year will be the 60th anniversary of Buddy, Ritchie, and Big Bopper's tragic plane crash in February 1959. RIP Peggy Sue. As really glad he wrote a song about you. Thoughts are with your family and loved ones.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @jppt1974 said:

    I kind of wish that they had the music of yesterday today for those that hear music that is not the music we all grew up with or for those who loved hearing it as a forty four year old woman now. That started listening to this music as an 11-year old girl.

    Still do as next year will be the 60th anniversary of Buddy, Ritchie, and Big Bopper's tragic plane crash in February 1959. RIP Peggy Sue. As really glad he wrote a song about you. Thoughts are with your family and loved ones.

    You're still young.  Believe me.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Pretty good youtube incorporating the crash, American Pie and Gary Bussey's reactions/portrayal in the movie and real life.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #9

    I guess I did not realize that Eddie Cochrane died in an auto crash just a year later.

    Also.....Don McLean was the cousin of one of the original members of The Rats,   which is Westside Steve's band which was eventually renamed Easy Street.

  • I guess I did not realize that Eddie Cochrane died in an auto crash just a year later.

    Also.....Don McLean was the cousin of one of the original members of The Rats,   which is Westside Steve's band which was eventually renamed Easy Street.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @the-gipper said:

    I guess I did not realize that Eddie Cochrane died in an auto crash just a year later.

    Also.....Don McLean was the cousin of one of the original members of The Rats,   which is Westside Steve's band which was eventually renamed Easy Street.

    I  knew Cochrane dies shortly thereafter, but I did not know his connection to the others. Nor did I know Bobby Vee got his start that night as a local fill-in after the plane crash.