The Day The Music (Finally) Died
-
Peggy Sue Gerron of Buddy Holly and the Crickets fame died at age 76 in Holly's hometown of Lubbock and was on the front page of the local paper when we got in there to stay overnight last night. Here is the article:
-
Oddly, I will be going to see the Surf Ballroom and the site of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly in just a little over a week from now.
-
I kind of wish that they had the music of yesterday today for those that hear music that is not the music we all grew up with or for those who loved hearing it as a forty four year old woman now. That started listening to this music as an 11-year old girl.
Still do as next year will be the 60th anniversary of Buddy, Ritchie, and Big Bopper's tragic plane crash in February 1959. RIP Peggy Sue. As really glad he wrote a song about you. Thoughts are with your family and loved ones.
-
Oddly, I will be going to see the Surf Ballroom and the site of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly in just a little over a week from now.
Oddly, I will be going to see the Surf Ballroom and the site of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly in just a little over a week from now.
Amazing movie done well by Gary Busey.
The Buddy Holly Story is a 1978 biographical film which tells the life story of rock musician Buddy Holly.[4] It features an Academy Award-winning musical score, adapted by Joe Renzetti and Oscar-nominated lead performance by Gary Busey.
The Buddy Holly Story
The Buddy Holly Story DVD coverDirected by Steve Rash Produced by Fred Bauer
Edward H. Cohen
Frances Avrut-Bauer
Fred T. KuehnertWritten by Novel:
John Goldrosen
Story:
Alan Swyer
Screenplay:
Robert GittlerStarring Gary Busey
Don Stroud
Charles Martin Smith
Conrad Janis
Paul MooneyMusic by Joe Renzetti Cinematography Stevan Larner Edited by David E. Blewitt
James SeidelmanDistributed by Columbia Pictures Release date- May 18, 1978
Running time113 minutes Country United States Language English Budget $1.2 million[1] or $2 million[2] Box office $14.3 million[3] The film also stars Don Stroud, Charles Martin Smith, Conrad Janis, William Jordan, and Maria Richwine, who played Maria Elena Holly.
It was adapted by Robert Gittler from Buddy Holly: His Life and Music, the biography of Holly by John Goldrosen, and was directed by Steve Rash.
-
Yes, Busey did an amazing job in that movie.
-
The Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson) had been a D.J. in my hometown at the time. Interesting bio here from Wiki. He wrote some pretty famous songs besides his own "Chantilly Lace". Running Bear, White Lightnin', Little Red Riding Hood were all his. His loss was felt more in Beaumont than the other two were.
-
I kind of wish that they had the music of yesterday today for those that hear music that is not the music we all grew up with or for those who loved hearing it as a forty four year old woman now. That started listening to this music as an 11-year old girl.
Still do as next year will be the 60th anniversary of Buddy, Ritchie, and Big Bopper's tragic plane crash in February 1959. RIP Peggy Sue. As really glad he wrote a song about you. Thoughts are with your family and loved ones.
I kind of wish that they had the music of yesterday today for those that hear music that is not the music we all grew up with or for those who loved hearing it as a forty four year old woman now. That started listening to this music as an 11-year old girl.
Still do as next year will be the 60th anniversary of Buddy, Ritchie, and Big Bopper's tragic plane crash in February 1959. RIP Peggy Sue. As really glad he wrote a song about you. Thoughts are with your family and loved ones.
You're still young. Believe me.
-
Pretty good youtube incorporating the crash, American Pie and Gary Bussey's reactions/portrayal in the movie and real life.
-
I guess I did not realize that Eddie Cochrane died in an auto crash just a year later.
Also.....Don McLean was the cousin of one of the original members of The Rats, which is Westside Steve's band which was eventually renamed Easy Street.
-
I guess I did not realize that Eddie Cochrane died in an auto crash just a year later.
Also.....Don McLean was the cousin of one of the original members of The Rats, which is Westside Steve's band which was eventually renamed Easy Street.
I guess I did not realize that Eddie Cochrane died in an auto crash just a year later.
Also.....Don McLean was the cousin of one of the original members of The Rats, which is Westside Steve's band which was eventually renamed Easy Street.
I knew Cochrane dies shortly thereafter, but I did not know his connection to the others. Nor did I know Bobby Vee got his start that night as a local fill-in after the plane crash.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login