Skip to content

Weaponizing Victimhood

Political Discussion
31 10 762
  • Trevor Noah represents the deevolution of The Daily Show.

    WSS

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Image may contain: text

    that is EXCELLENT ! LOL

  • Trevor Noah is woodypeckerhead's Alex Jones hero - Noah and woodpecker, birds of a feather.

  • We surrender..................................................................................................................oh wait!! The founder of the KKK says otherwise.?

    220px-General_Forrest%27s_Flag.svg.png

     

    Battle flag of Forrest's Cavalry Corps, 1863–65

  • We surrender..................................................................................................................oh wait!! The founder of the KKK says otherwise.?

    220px-General_Forrest%27s_Flag.svg.png

     

    Battle flag of Forrest's Cavalry Corps, 1863–65

    @texasag1969 said:

    We surrender..................................................................................................................oh wait!! The founder of the KKK says otherwise.?

    220px-General_Forrest%27s_Flag.svg.png

     

    Battle flag of Forrest's Cavalry Corps, 1863–65

    57a23f562bbd466e68978df538ed6c43.jpg

  • Georgia state flag 1956-2001.

    Flag of the State of Georgia (1956–2001).svg 

    Current Mississippi sate flag.

    Flag of Mississippi.svg

  • Georgia state flag 1956-2001.

    Flag of the State of Georgia (1956–2001).svg 

    Current Mississippi sate flag.

    Flag of Mississippi.svg

    @texasag1969 said:

    Georgia state flag 1956-2001.

    Flag of the State of Georgia (1956–2001).svg 

    Current Mississippi sate flag.

    Flag of Mississippi.svg

    In my opinion Tex the confederate flag belongs in museums not on state flags. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Georgia state flag 1956-2001.

    Flag of the State of Georgia (1956–2001).svg 

    Current Mississippi sate flag.

    Flag of Mississippi.svg

    In my opinion Tex the confederate flag belongs in museums not on state flags. 

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    In my opinion Tex the confederate flag belongs in museums not on state flags. 

    I agree. But since ? I have seen it flown on pickups here more than the last 50 years combined. They also invariably had MAGA and/or Trump stickers on the bumpers. There are a lot of prejudiced people living down here and he has given rise to it's open expression like no one since KKK pre-civil rights days. Our only saving grace is that native Texan LBJ signed civil rights into law.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    In my opinion Tex the confederate flag belongs in museums not on state flags. 

    I agree. But since ? I have seen it flown on pickups here more than the last 50 years combined. They also invariably had MAGA and/or Trump stickers on the bumpers. There are a lot of prejudiced people living down here and he has given rise to it's open expression like no one since KKK pre-civil rights days. Our only saving grace is that native Texan LBJ signed civil rights into law.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I agree. But since ? I have seen it flown on pickups here more than the last 50 years combined. They also invariably had MAGA and/or Trump stickers on the bumpers. There are a lot of prejudiced people living down here and he has given rise to it's open expression like no one since KKK pre-civil rights days. Our only saving grace is that native Texan LBJ signed civil rights into law.

    It was LBJ with the help of republicans. Fighting against it were the democrats in the south known as dixiecrats. Those who fought for civil rights in the 60's were fighting for a  noble cause but that is not the case today. What Martin Luther King stood for is not what black leaders like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson stand for.  King preached a message of unity for the country while Sharpton and Jackson have made a nice profitable living by sowing division and strife. 

    Those who know Trump best say he absolutely is not a racist and I believe them:

    BET founder says Trump is not a racist, and stocks are right to rally post-election

    Media mogul Bob Johnson, who met with President-elect Donald Trump earlier this month, told CNBC on Tuesday the post-election rally in the stock market has been a reaction to having a businessman in the White House.

    The BET founder, a Democrat, also said on "Squawk Box" that he's known Trump for years and believes Trump wants to work with African-Americans and all Americans to boost the economy.

    "To me, I never thought Donald Trump, and I still don't believe it today, was a racist. I don't believe that he's anti-African-American," said Johnson, founder and chairman of The RLJ Cos. "For too long, the African-American community has been ignored by the Republicans because they thought we were always locked with the Democrats."

     
  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    In my opinion Tex the confederate flag belongs in museums not on state flags. 

    I agree. But since ? I have seen it flown on pickups here more than the last 50 years combined. They also invariably had MAGA and/or Trump stickers on the bumpers. There are a lot of prejudiced people living down here and he has given rise to it's open expression like no one since KKK pre-civil rights days. Our only saving grace is that native Texan LBJ signed civil rights into law.

    @texasag1969 said:

     Our only saving grace is that native Texan LBJ signed civil rights into law.

    Think about that Tex, LBJ a Dem President had more Republican support for the Civil Rights Act than Democrats.

  • The democrats have literally been weaponizing victimhood for my entire life. 

    Now Trevor Noah says something and all my leftist aquaintences are acting like they haven't been playing the victims forever. 

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The democrats have literally been weaponizing victimhood for my entire life. 

    Now Trevor Noah says something and all my leftist aquaintences are acting like they haven't been playing the victims forever. 

    I'm not claiming the other side isn't claiming victimhood. I would argue women or minorities have more of an argument for being victims than men and white people though. But it's definitively overblown sometimes

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    The democrats have literally been weaponizing victimhood for my entire life. 

    Now Trevor Noah says something and all my leftist aquaintences are acting like they haven't been playing the victims forever. 

    I'm not claiming the other side isn't claiming victimhood. I would argue women or minorities have more of an argument for being victims than men and white people though. But it's definitively overblown sometimes

    @mld-woody said:

    I'm not claiming the other side isn't claiming victimhood. I would argue women or minorities have more of an argument for being victims than men and white people though. But it's definitively overblown sometimes

    I completely disagree with Trevor Noah's premise. I hate this entire framework that he's working under - that there is some sort of hierarchy of victimhood. A rape accusation - simply the accusation - can ruin someone's life because of how people treat the accused after it. You have men who are kicked out of college, shunned by their families, by their friends based off only the allegation and without a conviction. Being a victim shouldn't be a d.ick measuring contest to see who's the most oppressed. In this whole clusterf.uck of a situation, both Kavanaugh and Ford are victims, and I wouldn't want to be in either of their shoes. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    I'm not claiming the other side isn't claiming victimhood. I would argue women or minorities have more of an argument for being victims than men and white people though. But it's definitively overblown sometimes

    I completely disagree with Trevor Noah's premise. I hate this entire framework that he's working under - that there is some sort of hierarchy of victimhood. A rape accusation - simply the accusation - can ruin someone's life because of how people treat the accused after it. You have men who are kicked out of college, shunned by their families, by their friends based off only the allegation and without a conviction. Being a victim shouldn't be a d.ick measuring contest to see who's the most oppressed. In this whole clusterf.uck of a situation, both Kavanaugh and Ford are victims, and I wouldn't want to be in either of their shoes. 

    @vaportrail said:

    I completely disagree with Trevor Noah's premise. I hate this entire framework that he's working under - that there is some sort of hierarchy of victimhood. A rape accusation - simply the accusation - can ruin someone's life because of how people treat the accused after it. You have men who are kicked out of college, shunned by their families, by their friends based off only the allegation and without a conviction. Being a victim shouldn't be a d.ick measuring contest to see who's the most oppressed. In this whole clusterf.uck of a situation, both Kavanaugh and Ford are victims, and I wouldn't want to be in either of their shoes. 

    Sure, I see where you're coming from. A false accusation can ruin someone's life, and we've seen it before. But how often does that happened compared to actual sexual assaults? I get not making it a finger measuring contest but I think making all victims "equal"  is pretty disingenuous. Trying to equate all of this is allowing those that aren't really victims, those actually in the power position, to feel like they're under attack. Trump then comes swooping in saying he'll make everything right again and they won't have to worry anymore. But they never had anything to worry about to begin with, not really.

  • @vaportrail said:

    I completely disagree with Trevor Noah's premise. I hate this entire framework that he's working under - that there is some sort of hierarchy of victimhood. A rape accusation - simply the accusation - can ruin someone's life because of how people treat the accused after it. You have men who are kicked out of college, shunned by their families, by their friends based off only the allegation and without a conviction. Being a victim shouldn't be a d.ick measuring contest to see who's the most oppressed. In this whole clusterf.uck of a situation, both Kavanaugh and Ford are victims, and I wouldn't want to be in either of their shoes. 

    Sure, I see where you're coming from. A false accusation can ruin someone's life, and we've seen it before. But how often does that happened compared to actual sexual assaults? I get not making it a finger measuring contest but I think making all victims "equal"  is pretty disingenuous. Trying to equate all of this is allowing those that aren't really victims, those actually in the power position, to feel like they're under attack. Trump then comes swooping in saying he'll make everything right again and they won't have to worry anymore. But they never had anything to worry about to begin with, not really.

    @mld-woody said:

    I think making all victims "equal"  is pretty disingenuous.

    Does that mean you're comfortable with saying Ford is a bigger victim than Kavanaugh? Vice versa? I certainly wouldn't. What they've both been through sounds like an absolute hell, and I'd reserve it only for the likes of A*t. 

    @mld-woody said:

    But how often does that happened compared to actual sexual assaults? I get not making it a finger measuring contest but I think making all victims "equal"  is pretty disingenuous. Trying to equate all of this is allowing those that aren't really victims, those actually in the power position, to feel like they're under attack.

    Obviously, false accusations don't occur as often actual sexual assaults. That's not what I'm comparing. Victims of both crimes are going to be dealing with a lifetime of mental health issues. Just because one crime is more frequent than the other, it doesn't change the magnitude of fallout for that individual. 

    @mld-woody said:

    Trump then comes swooping in saying he'll make everything right again and they won't have to worry anymore. But they never had anything to worry about to begin with, not really.

    Anecdote - As a former college professor, I can tell you that there have been times where I was terrified that a female I failed for plagiarism was going to falsely accuse me of sexual assault. The policy of never having a closed door when a student of the opposite sex is in your office is in place because apparently this garbage is prevalent enough to ruin careers. Trump saying that women have it great right after saying that it's terrible to be a man accused of rape isn't helpful, but I'd say that about most things coming out of his mouth in front of the press.

  • In a semi-related anecdote I was speaking many many years ago with a guy who just happen to be at attorney. We weren't discussing anything in particular but the conversation turned to false accusations. I remember he said I would be surprised at the number of women who actually accuse the ex-husband of molesting the child or baby in the course of a divorce action just because they are angry. 

    WSS