Skip to content

WEEK 7 - TOP 25 RANKINGS, TV SCHEDULE, MISC. GOSSIP and other key stuff.......

College Football Forum
27 4 766
  • @mjp28 said:

    Shhhhhh, that's a big secret. 😆

    Oh 4 BIG TEN are still in the TOP 15. But the big head to head elimination tournament is coming up......looks like NOTRE DAME has a decent shot at a top 4 position with OHIO STATE and two others. 

    WHY not 8 or 16 teams? My old pet peeve, every other division in football does it.

    Money.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @the-gipper said:

    Money.

    Money? They could take empty bowl games and sell them out and have national TV coverage and make big bucks. Alabama, OHIO STATE or others in a round 1 game? 

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #9

    https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

    I count 5 Big Ten and Eight SEC schools at present in the toughest 25 schedules..

  • @the-gipper said:

    Money.

    Money? They could take empty bowl games and sell them out and have national TV coverage and make big bucks. Alabama, OHIO STATE or others in a round 1 game? 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @mjp28 said:

    Money? They could take empty bowl games and sell them out and have national TV coverage and make big bucks. Alabama, OHIO STATE or others in a round 1 game? 

    Agree.  That is why it makes no sense, monetarily, that they do not expand.   They use that old chestnut about interfering with the education of the students.  That too is a pile of horse manure.   Why is it so bad to interfere with the education of  FBS players.....where it is not bad to interfere with  FCS, D-II and D-III players (who generally are far more real students than D-1  football players)

  • AxeA Axe

    https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

    I count 5 Big Ten and Eight SEC schools at present in the toughest 25 schedules..

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @axe said:

    https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

    I count 5 Big Ten and Eight SEC schools at present in the toughest 25 schedules..

    SOS can be misleading because most all just play each other, once they get well into the schedules around weeks 8, 9, 10 the true SOS emerges.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Money? They could take empty bowl games and sell them out and have national TV coverage and make big bucks. Alabama, OHIO STATE or others in a round 1 game? 

    Agree.  That is why it makes no sense, monetarily, that they do not expand.   They use that old chestnut about interfering with the education of the students.  That too is a pile of horse manure.   Why is it so bad to interfere with the education of  FBS players.....where it is not bad to interfere with  FCS, D-II and D-III players (who generally are far more real students than D-1  football players)

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @the-gipper said:

    Agree.  That is why it makes no sense, monetarily, that they do not expand.   They use that old chestnut about interfering with the education of the students.  That too is a pile of horse manure.   Why is it so bad to interfere with the education of  FBS players.....where it is not bad to interfere with  FCS, D-II and D-III players (who generally are far more real students than D-1  football players)

    Yes including the D-1AA schools that I am pretty familiar with, when some D-1 players realize they are behind better players they bolt to D-1AA teams to start. 

    For example YSU's starting QB this year is a NOTRE DAME transfer, it's all about playing time, exposure, potential NFL tryouts.......oh and school rah, rah, rah.

    I still can picture some 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 marquee matchups in sold out venues which were formerly the toilet bowl or so-in-so car parts bowl boring games. The increase in interest, gate, TV advertizing and of course contributions to the schools involved budgets would be in the millions.

    Just check out the phenomenal MARCH MADNESS only on a smaller scale afterall it is tackle football not hoops......and very, very few additional games, lose and you're done.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #13

    6 team. Byes for top two seeds

  • 6 team. Byes for top two seeds

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @mld-woody said:

    6 team. Byes for top two seeds

    With 8 there are 4 teams that go home 4 play round 2 go home leaving the championship game. Simple.

    The top two teams do not need any bye weeks besides it reeks of play-in games which are kind of strange to begin with.

  • @axe said:

    https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

    I count 5 Big Ten and Eight SEC schools at present in the toughest 25 schedules..

    SOS can be misleading because most all just play each other, once they get well into the schedules around weeks 8, 9, 10 the true SOS emerges.

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @mjp28 said:

    SOS can be misleading because most all just play each other, once they get well into the schedules around weeks 8, 9, 10 the true SOS emerges.

    Agreed, but at this point in the season it's all we have to attempt to gauge the situation and based upon that, making a "cupcake" statement is ludicrous.

    7 teams and #1 gets a bye or 8 teams, no byes...

  • 6 team. Byes for top two seeds

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @mld-woody said:

    6 team. Byes for top two seeds

    No 8 minimum. 16 would be better 

  • AxeA Axe

    @mjp28 said:

    SOS can be misleading because most all just play each other, once they get well into the schedules around weeks 8, 9, 10 the true SOS emerges.

    Agreed, but at this point in the season it's all we have to attempt to gauge the situation and based upon that, making a "cupcake" statement is ludicrous.

    7 teams and #1 gets a bye or 8 teams, no byes...

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @axe said:

    Agreed, but at this point in the season it's all we have to attempt to gauge the situation and based upon that, making a "cupcake" statement is ludicrous.

    7 teams and #1 gets a bye or 8 teams, no byes...

    Hey I agree with the Axe we might be on to something.......except the cupcake part, it's true if you look at the SEC non-conference games really now 

    Alabama on NOV 17 (SAT) TBA VS THE CITADEL 
     
    Are you kidding me? The Girl Scouts were already booked?  😆
    But on the playoffs I'd be happy to start with an 8 team playoff 1/8 2/7, 3/6, 4/5 would give you some excellent games especially 4/5. And NO BYES.
  • @axe said:

    Agreed, but at this point in the season it's all we have to attempt to gauge the situation and based upon that, making a "cupcake" statement is ludicrous.

    7 teams and #1 gets a bye or 8 teams, no byes...

    Hey I agree with the Axe we might be on to something.......except the cupcake part, it's true if you look at the SEC non-conference games really now 

    Alabama on NOV 17 (SAT) TBA VS THE CITADEL 
     
    Are you kidding me? The Girl Scouts were already booked?  😆
    But on the playoffs I'd be happy to start with an 8 team playoff 1/8 2/7, 3/6, 4/5 would give you some excellent games especially 4/5. And NO BYES.
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @mjp28 said:

    Hey I agree with the Axe we might be on to something.......except the cupcake part, it's true if you look at the SEC non-conference games really now 

    Alabama on NOV 17 (SAT) TBA VS THE CITADEL 
     
    Are you kidding me? The Girl Scouts were already booked?  😆
    But on the playoffs I'd be happy to start with an 8 team playoff 1/8 2/7, 3/6, 4/5 would give you some excellent games especially 4/5. And NO BYES.
     

    East Germany are such a bunch of gutless wonders for scheduling like that.

  • @axe said:

    Agreed, but at this point in the season it's all we have to attempt to gauge the situation and based upon that, making a "cupcake" statement is ludicrous.

    7 teams and #1 gets a bye or 8 teams, no byes...

    Hey I agree with the Axe we might be on to something.......except the cupcake part, it's true if you look at the SEC non-conference games really now 

    Alabama on NOV 17 (SAT) TBA VS THE CITADEL 
     
    Are you kidding me? The Girl Scouts were already booked?  😆
    But on the playoffs I'd be happy to start with an 8 team playoff 1/8 2/7, 3/6, 4/5 would give you some excellent games especially 4/5. And NO BYES.
    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @mjp28 said:

    Hey I agree with the Axe we might be on to something.......except the cupcake part, it's true if you look at the SEC non-conference games really now 

    Alabama on NOV 17 (SAT) TBA VS THE CITADEL 
     
    Are you kidding me? The Girl Scouts were already booked?  😆
     
     

    Could've been worse.. Bama could have scheduled someone from the Big10.. 😁

  • AxeA Axe

    @mjp28 said:

    Hey I agree with the Axe we might be on to something.......except the cupcake part, it's true if you look at the SEC non-conference games really now 

    Alabama on NOV 17 (SAT) TBA VS THE CITADEL 
     
    Are you kidding me? The Girl Scouts were already booked?  😆
     
     

    Could've been worse.. Bama could have scheduled someone from the Big10.. 😁

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @axe said:

    Could've been worse.. Bama could have scheduled someone from the Big10.. 😁

    Worse  for them sure for them sure

  • AxeA Axe

    @mjp28 said:

    Hey I agree with the Axe we might be on to something.......except the cupcake part, it's true if you look at the SEC non-conference games really now 

    Alabama on NOV 17 (SAT) TBA VS THE CITADEL 
     
    Are you kidding me? The Girl Scouts were already booked?  😆
     
     

    Could've been worse.. Bama could have scheduled someone from the Big10.. 😁

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @axe said:

    Could've been worse.. Bama could have scheduled someone from the Big10.. 😁

    I'm sure you're just kidding us you know The Citadel is a fine school in the D-1AA (FCS) division a bit different than the D-1A schools in the BIG TEN.

    The Citadel Bulldogs football program represents The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). The Bulldogs play in the Southern Conference, as they have since 1936. 

    Other SEC schools also play schools from the D-1AA ranks some from this very conference.......except for getting all the icing and powdered sugar off of their uniforms it "probably" is a rousing game of football. 😉

  • @axe said:

    Could've been worse.. Bama could have scheduled someone from the Big10.. 😁

    I'm sure you're just kidding us you know The Citadel is a fine school in the D-1AA (FCS) division a bit different than the D-1A schools in the BIG TEN.

    The Citadel Bulldogs football program represents The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). The Bulldogs play in the Southern Conference, as they have since 1936. 

    Other SEC schools also play schools from the D-1AA ranks some from this very conference.......except for getting all the icing and powdered sugar off of their uniforms it "probably" is a rousing game of football. 😉

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @mjp28 said:

    I'm sure you're just kidding us

    Of course I am but I will say this, last yr the SEC was down..  Wait, who played for the national championship  again?

  • AxeA Axe

    @mjp28 said:

    I'm sure you're just kidding us

    Of course I am but I will say this, last yr the SEC was down..  Wait, who played for the national championship  again?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #23

    @axe said:

    Of course I am but I will say this, last yr the SEC was down..  Wait, who played for the national championship  again?

    Well there's no doubt the top football factory schools along with the US population has moved down south over the past 30 plus years.

    Nick Saban from WV and a Kent State grad took all of his northern roots including stays with the BUCKEYES and BROWNS and ended up at the current #1 football factory Alabama. OHIO STATE also has a nice football factory too. 

    But we fans seem to love it regardless of the details.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I'm just happy to see a degree of parity between conferences..  I much prefer college ball to the NFL..

  • AxeA Axe

    I'm just happy to see a degree of parity between conferences..  I much prefer college ball to the NFL..

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @axe said:

    I'm just happy to see a degree of parity between conferences..  I much prefer college ball to the NFL..

    Yes I've preferred NCAA football and of course the March Madness in hoops for a long while now. It's 1. NCAA football 2. NFL football 3. MLB for me.

    Oh another strange but true story that little sawed off 5' 6" Nick Saban was a DB at KSU the same time I was at YSU.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #26

    USF dodged a bullet tonight.. 😊

  • AxeA Axe

    @mjp28 said:

    I'm sure you're just kidding us

    Of course I am but I will say this, last yr the SEC was down..  Wait, who played for the national championship  again?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @axe said:

    Of course I am but I will say this, last yr the SEC was down..  Wait, who played for the national championship  again?

    East GermanyEast Germany