Skip to content

Overtime games

The Browns Board
69 16 2.5k
  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Those numbers are that of a smaller league too. Less teams and what? 12 and 14 game schedules. 

    Uh, no 12 game schedules.  NFL went to 16 games in 1978.

    But the league was not that much smaller.  

    After the 1970 expansion until 1976 there were 26 teams.   In 1976 they went to 28 with the Seahawks and Bucs added.

    In 1995 the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jags were added to to to 30 teams.

    In 1999 it became a 31 team league......(Ravens formed in 1996, Browns reactivated 1999)

    In 2002 The Texans were added to make it a 32 team league.

    @the-gipper said:

    Uh, no 12 game schedules.  NFL went to 16 games in 1978.

    But the league was not that much smaller.  

    After the 1970 expansion until 1976 there were 26 teams.   In 1976 they went to 28 with the Seahawks and Bucs added.

    In 1995 the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jags were added to to to 30 teams.

    In 1999 it became a 31 team league......(Ravens formed in 1996, Browns reactivated 1999)

    In 2002 The Texans were added to make it a 32 team league.

    Ok, it was pre 1960 that they were 12 game seasons. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Uh, no 12 game schedules.  NFL went to 16 games in 1978.

    But the league was not that much smaller.  

    After the 1970 expansion until 1976 there were 26 teams.   In 1976 they went to 28 with the Seahawks and Bucs added.

    In 1995 the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jags were added to to to 30 teams.

    In 1999 it became a 31 team league......(Ravens formed in 1996, Browns reactivated 1999)

    In 2002 The Texans were added to make it a 32 team league.

    Ok, it was pre 1960 that they were 12 game seasons. 

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Ok, it was pre 1960 that they were 12 game seasons. 

    Could be.   Of course, now they want to go to 18 games.

  • Interesting stuff, thanks for posting!

    Boy I tell ya, I didn’t think we had much of a chance in overtime.  Not that I was being a negative jerk, but because of our FG situation, and special teams in general.  The Ravens on the other hand are exactly the team you DON’T want to play in overtime, which makes our victory even MORE impressive.  I mean, they get the ball barely over midfield and they’re about in Justin Tucker’s range, LOL.  That guy is just THAT good. 

    Getting that overtime win is so much more than just a W in the left-hand column.  It exorcises the demons of past failures and proves to the team, the fans, and everyone else that we CAN finish a darn game.  That is just so important.  We could’ve blown that game any number of ways, and we DIDN’T.  A home win.  A division win.  Congrats Browns…what a day. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Boy I tell ya, I didn’t think we had much of a chance in overtime.  Not that I was being a negative jerk

    Dude, if Mark O had the ability to throw people off the Tavern, you would gotten tossed. 

    Holy Sheet on a cracker, you were something yesterday during the game. 

  • I don't understand Gip why you think with the shortened 10 minute OT will cause more games to go to overtime? I don't get the correlation... 

  • I don't understand Gip why you think with the shortened 10 minute OT will cause more games to go to overtime? I don't get the correlation... 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I don't understand Gip why you think with the shortened 10 minute OT will cause more games to go to overtime? I don't get the correlation... 

    I didn't say that more games will go into OT.....I said there would be more ties.    If I said otherwise I misspoke.  But I don't think I did. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I don't understand Gip why you think with the shortened 10 minute OT will cause more games to go to overtime? I don't get the correlation... 

    I didn't say that more games will go into OT.....I said there would be more ties.    If I said otherwise I misspoke.  But I don't think I did. 

    @the-gipper said:

    I didn't say that more games will go into OT.....I said there would be more ties.    If I said otherwise I misspoke.  But I don't think I did. 

    Shortened OT will cause more ties, less time to score.

  • A few factoids about Overtime games that I have come across: 

    The most overtime games in one season occurred in 2002 and 2003, when there were 26 overtime games (counting playoffs).  Last year’s 19 overtime games were tied for the third most ever.

    I think with the shortened OT this record could fall.  Not sure how many there have been yet this season

    In Week 6 of 1995 there were 5 overtimes games.  Those are the most overtime games played in one week.

    The 1983 Packers (2-3) and the 2003 Panthers (4-1) played in five overtime games.  The most overtime games played by one team in one season.  The Panthers four overtime wins in 2003 is the most by any NFL team in one season.  Many teams have lost three overtime games in one season.  The last team to do so were the 2010 Bills.

    The way things are going the Browns could match that record of 5 OT games.  3 out of 5 that they have played so far have been OT....they are  1-1-1

    No team has ever played in three consecutive overtime games.  The last team to play in back to back overtime games were the 2010 Jets.

    Browns now have matched this

    The most common week for overtime games in the NFL has been Week 12 (37 overtime games).  Followed by Week 2 (35 overtime games).

    The most common overtime matchup has been the Broncos-Raiders.  The Raiders hold a 5-3 edge over the Broncos in overtime games.

    The Dolphins-Patriots have faced off against each other seven times in overtime.  With the Dolphins holding the 4-3 edge in overtime games against the Patriots.

    The Eagles-Giants have played seven overtime games against each other.  The Giants have a 6-1 edge in overtime games against the Eagles.  The last time the Giants lost an overtime game to the Eagles was in 1988.

    @the-gipper said:

    A few factoids about Overtime games that I have come across: 

    The most overtime games in one season occurred in 2002 and 2003, when there were 26 overtime games (counting playoffs).  Last year’s 19 overtime games were tied for the third most ever.

    I think with the shortened OT this record could fall.  Not sure how many there have been yet this season

    This is what confused me Gip. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    A few factoids about Overtime games that I have come across: 

    The most overtime games in one season occurred in 2002 and 2003, when there were 26 overtime games (counting playoffs).  Last year’s 19 overtime games were tied for the third most ever.

    I think with the shortened OT this record could fall.  Not sure how many there have been yet this season

    This is what confused me Gip. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    This is what confused me Gip. 

    Yea, no, you are right.   Not sure what I was thinking.   Again, I am thinking only that there would be more games ending in a tie after OT.

  • The Browns have ended their first 5 games in each of the 5 different ways a game can finish

    Week 1: Tie

    Week 2: Regulation Loss

    Week 3: Regulation Win

    Week 4: OT Loss

    Week 5: OT Win

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Boy I tell ya, I didn’t think we had much of a chance in overtime.  Not that I was being a negative jerk

    Dude, if Mark O had the ability to throw people off the Tavern, you would gotten tossed. 

    Holy Sheet on a cracker, you were something yesterday during the game. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Dude, if Mark O had the ability to throw people off the Tavern, you would gotten tossed. 

    Holy Sheet on a cracker, you were something yesterday during the game. 

    Dang it. I really didn't think I was THAT terrible. I'm sorry. 

  • Dutch is a fu k ing  c u n t. lol.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Dude, if Mark O had the ability to throw people off the Tavern, you would gotten tossed. 

    Holy Sheet on a cracker, you were something yesterday during the game. 

    Dang it. I really didn't think I was THAT terrible. I'm sorry. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Dang it. I really didn't think I was THAT terrible. I'm sorry. 

    Terrible isn't the right word.  Annoying and negative is more like it.   We all know how you feel, you post it here all the time, you don't need to repeat it over and over and over in real time during a game that we are fucking winning for christs sake.   That was what did me in during the game. 

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Dang it. I really didn't think I was THAT terrible. I'm sorry. 

    Terrible isn't the right word.  Annoying and negative is more like it.   We all know how you feel, you post it here all the time, you don't need to repeat it over and over and over in real time during a game that we are fucking winning for christs sake.   That was what did me in during the game. 

    @mark-o said:

    Terrible isn't the right word.  Annoying and negative is more like it.   We all know how you feel, you post it here all the time, you don't need to repeat it over and over and over in real time during a game that we are Shmucking winning for christs sake.   That was what did me in during the game. 

    I get it. I literally think I had PTSD from the Saints game. It was such a sickening experience to sit there and watch it unfold. It's funny, at one point in the 2nd half I think we were up 12-6 or something, and my dad leans over and says, "Is it just me, or does it feel like we're down a touchdown for some reason?" It was like watching a movie where you know the actor is going to die at the end, but you're hoping he doesn't, and then he dies in a worse way than you thought possible. 

    But hey, I'll drop it. And I know I post all the time, but I went back and looked at my posts and they weren't nearly all negative. Not even close. What about all the good things I say about people? Like sticking up for our coach? Praising our QB? Saying we have a real team?! Lots more!

    I also want to say that just because someone predicts a loss, or even a poor showing, it doesn't mean they're negative. I mean, my gut reaction to our next game isn't good, but it's not because I'm being negative. It's because Rivers gets rid of the ball VERY quickly, and he's extremely accurate. He's tough to get to and he hits people in stride. I'm NOT saying we're going to lose or get blown out, I'm just making a point. Chargers run those obnoxious "man beater" crossing routes and tons of pick plays. Tough to defend, but with the way our secondary and linebackers are playing, I certainly wouldn't bet against us. 

    Cut me a little slack. It's not like I post thoughtless insults that are meant to stir up crap and blatantly ignite a crap-storm. I never attack a fellow fan, I never criticize anyone on here, and I try to write posts that stick to the subject. But I'll let it go and drop it. And hey, give me some credit! I was right every week last year! Hahahahaha. Just kidding. I actually predicted 2 or 3 victories (all of which we SHOULD have won btw. Jets, 2nd Steelers game, and I forget the 3rd). I'm gonna enjoy this victory some more and relish in the "knuckle ball heard around the world" kick. I can't get over what a stellar defensive effort we had after giving up 600 yards last week. Unbelievable! 

    Go Brownies! 

  • Dutch is a fu k ing  c u n t. lol.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Dutch is a fu k ing  c u n t. lol.

    trump-denigrate.jpg

  • Most OT ties by one team 2?  3?

  • The Browns have ended their first 5 games in each of the 5 different ways a game can finish

    Week 1: Tie

    Week 2: Regulation Loss

    Week 3: Regulation Win

    Week 4: OT Loss

    Week 5: OT Win

    @canton-dawg said:

    The Browns have ended their first 5 games in each of the 5 different ways a game can finish

    Week 1: Tie

    Week 2: Regulation Loss

    Week 3: Regulation Win

    Week 4: OT Loss

    Week 5: OT Win

    Is there another way to end a game 

  • Most OT ties by one team 2?  3?

    @richiswhere said:

    Most OT ties by one team 2?  3?

    You tell us. Look it upYou tell us. Look it up

  • The purpose of overtime always was to determine a winner.

    An overtime that has a good chance of ending in a tie is the convention of a jackoff. WTF good is an overtime if the game ends in the same fukcking tie it did in regulation? Use the college system, or don't have overtime at all. Just flip a coin. The NFL overtime protocol is horseschidt.

  • The purpose of overtime always was to determine a winner.

    An overtime that has a good chance of ending in a tie is the convention of a jackoff. WTF good is an overtime if the game ends in the same fukcking tie it did in regulation? Use the college system, or don't have overtime at all. Just flip a coin. The NFL overtime protocol is horseschidt.

    @ghoolie said:

    The purpose of overtime always was to determine a winner.

    An overtime that has a good chance of ending in a tie is the convention of a jackoff. WTF good is an overtime if the game ends in the same fukcking tie it did in regulation? Use the college system, or don't have overtime at all. Just flip a coin. The NFL overtime protocol is horseschidt.

    I would rather have no overtime then use the college rule. Which is such a bastardization of anything holy that it deserves to be thrown in the shitI would rather have no overtime then use the college rule. Which is such a bastardization of anything holy that it deserves to be thrown in the Sheet

  • THAN use the college rule................ not  THEN use the college rule. I don't care what they do, but if the OT can also end in a tie, then itis idiotic.