Overtime games
-
The guy who wrote that rambling nonsense above got kicked off this message board and begged and pleaded to get back on, because apparently he IS that pathetic.
Carry on.
The guy who wrote that rambling nonsense above got kicked off this message board and begged and pleaded to get back on, because apparently he IS that pathetic.
Carry on.
I could make it simplier for him to understand afterall the NFL realizes they have a serious and expensive ongoing problem here. Eh?
Regular season OT - unnecessary.
..........oh edit add and it just isn't all overtime, it's all high speed and low speed collisions a real problem in tackle football. Kickoffs, punts, goal line stands and they are considering it all including new kicking game rules. And these guys are bigger, faster, stronger than ever in history just check the combine numbers. And this is from pee-wee through high school, college into the pros.
They're doing what they can now with protect the quarterback at all cost (example Stabler), defensless players especially WR, RB. Take anyone out of the game to concussion protocal. Eject anyone for hits immediately as spotted and reviewed if available. New tackling techniques, on and on.
The next target believe it or not is soccer as it is spreading here in the USA, less violent than tackle football but those darn high speed repetitive headers. But what do I know.

-
(waiting for sh|t against the wall smartazz reply...lol)
........edit add, again while I'm patiently waiting one of the truly sadest things among many was when Kenny "the snake" Stabler was inducted into The National Football League Hall of Fame but was accepted by his kids and grandkids because Kenny was actually unable to do it himself.
Also the Iron Mike Webster story, Junior Seau killing himself with a chest gunblast to save his brain for science, or the lesser ones like Merrill Hoge saying how he would just get lost on the way home. And this isn't normal aging it's CTE.
In one study of 110 brains submitted for study 109 showed CTE, see PBS not me.
I've loved football since I played pee-wee in the 1950s, thankfully through high school I only had a few bad concussions with no ill affects but I never played college or professional and I'm 68 now.
Any questions?

-
CTE has been found in... Source of head impacts Boxers Punches to the head Tackle football players Hits to the helmet Soccer players Headers and collisions Ice hockey players Fighting, checking Military veterans Blast injuries, combat Victims of domestic abuse Repeated violence Husbands .........................................continual lifetime henpecking about the ear/temple region.??
Husbands .........................................continual lifetime henpecking about the ear/temple region.??
My wife laughed and told me to put on here that I am not henpecked. ?
I told her that denial is the first stage towards eventual acceptance.?
-
Husbands .........................................continual lifetime henpecking about the ear/temple region.??
My wife laughed and told me to put on here that I am not henpecked. ?
I told her that denial is the first stage towards eventual acceptance.?
My wife laughed and told me to put on here that I am not henpecked. ?
I told her that denial is the first stage towards eventual acceptance.?
It's always nice to be nice concerning the wife......besides I like to eat too.
-
we held them to 3 field goals the entire game we should had deferred
If you're given the ball with the chance to end the game, you take that opportunity. Every single f***ing time.
Deferring in overtime is boneheaded nonsense. I don't care who you are.
And in case you didn't realize, the Browns actually won the game. I don't know why you'd be advocating for an updated result.
-
we held them to 3 field goals the entire game we should had deferred
If you're given the ball with the chance to end the game, you take that opportunity. Every single f***ing time.
Deferring in overtime is boneheaded nonsense. I don't care who you are.
And in case you didn't realize, the Browns actually won the game. I don't know why you'd be advocating for an updated result.
If you're given the ball with the chance to end the game, you take that opportunity. Every single f***ing time.
In OT yes take the ball I'm trying to think of one time when someone deferred college or pro. Maybe a snowstorn kick deep and wait? I dunno.
-
The guy who wrote that rambling nonsense above got kicked off this message board and begged and pleaded to get back on, because apparently he IS that pathetic.
Carry on.
I could make it simplier for him to understand afterall the NFL realizes they have a serious and expensive ongoing problem here. Eh?
Regular season OT - unnecessary.
..........oh edit add and it just isn't all overtime, it's all high speed and low speed collisions a real problem in tackle football. Kickoffs, punts, goal line stands and they are considering it all including new kicking game rules. And these guys are bigger, faster, stronger than ever in history just check the combine numbers. And this is from pee-wee through high school, college into the pros.
They're doing what they can now with protect the quarterback at all cost (example Stabler), defensless players especially WR, RB. Take anyone out of the game to concussion protocal. Eject anyone for hits immediately as spotted and reviewed if available. New tackling techniques, on and on.
The next target believe it or not is soccer as it is spreading here in the USA, less violent than tackle football but those darn high speed repetitive headers. But what do I know.

I could make it simplier for him to understand afterall the NFL realizes they have a serious and expensive ongoing problem here. Eh?
Regular season OT - unnecessary.
..........oh edit add and it just isn't all overtime, it's all high speed and low speed collisions a real problem in tackle football. Kickoffs, punts, goal line stands and they are considering it all including new kicking game rules. And these guys are bigger, faster, stronger than ever in history just check the combine numbers. And this is from pee-wee through high school, college into the pros.
They're doing what they can now with protect the quarterback at all cost (example Stabler), defensless players especially WR, RB. Take anyone out of the game to concussion protocal. Eject anyone for hits immediately as spotted and reviewed if available. New tackling techniques, on and on.
The next target believe it or not is soccer as it is spreading here in the USA, less violent than tackle football but those darn high speed repetitive headers. But what do I know.

I will say this much: the whole reduction of the OT rule for the purpose of avoiding injury is nothing but Optics. It is just propaganda to try to show that the league is trying to do something about player health and safety.......without actually doing a damned thing really about health and safety.
If the length of games is such a concern, then go to the high school rule where each quarter is only 12 minutes and the entire game is only 48 minutes. Or don't have OT at all.
And then go back to a 14 game schedule.
Like I said, it is just optics.....and it WILL lead to more tie games. So we just have to live with that fact.
In other words, party like its 1972.
-
I could make it simplier for him to understand afterall the NFL realizes they have a serious and expensive ongoing problem here. Eh?
Regular season OT - unnecessary.
..........oh edit add and it just isn't all overtime, it's all high speed and low speed collisions a real problem in tackle football. Kickoffs, punts, goal line stands and they are considering it all including new kicking game rules. And these guys are bigger, faster, stronger than ever in history just check the combine numbers. And this is from pee-wee through high school, college into the pros.
They're doing what they can now with protect the quarterback at all cost (example Stabler), defensless players especially WR, RB. Take anyone out of the game to concussion protocal. Eject anyone for hits immediately as spotted and reviewed if available. New tackling techniques, on and on.
The next target believe it or not is soccer as it is spreading here in the USA, less violent than tackle football but those darn high speed repetitive headers. But what do I know.

I will say this much: the whole reduction of the OT rule for the purpose of avoiding injury is nothing but Optics. It is just propaganda to try to show that the league is trying to do something about player health and safety.......without actually doing a damned thing really about health and safety.
If the length of games is such a concern, then go to the high school rule where each quarter is only 12 minutes and the entire game is only 48 minutes. Or don't have OT at all.
And then go back to a 14 game schedule.
Like I said, it is just optics.....and it WILL lead to more tie games. So we just have to live with that fact.
In other words, party like its 1972.
I will say this much: the whole reduction of the OT rule for the purpose of avoiding injury is nothing but Optics. It is just propaganda to try to show that the league is trying to do something about player health and safety.......without actually doing a damned thing really about health and safety.
If the length of games is such a concern, then go to the high school rule where each quarter is only 12 minutes and the entire game is only 48 minutes. Or don't have OT at all.
And then go back to a 14 game schedule.
Like I said, it is just optics.....and it WILL lead to more tie games. So we just have to live with that fact.
In other words, party like its 1972.
Yes the OT reduction is just one little piece in trying to address a much bigger problem, repeated head trauma. The NFL, their lawyers, top brass have all been debating this which is partly why they jumped to pay the union demands on money for retired players with CTE and deceased players families trying to get some settlements. (Oh I'm too lazy to look it up now.)
The inital agreement was small compared to what is coming in the coming years.
And reduced clock, fewer games anything like that is the NFL going backwards and the owners, players, fans won't like or want that.
Oh well, I like to kid younger fans that I actually saw Jim Brown play and the BROWNS win a championship......way back when.
-
I will say this much: the whole reduction of the OT rule for the purpose of avoiding injury is nothing but Optics. It is just propaganda to try to show that the league is trying to do something about player health and safety.......without actually doing a damned thing really about health and safety.
If the length of games is such a concern, then go to the high school rule where each quarter is only 12 minutes and the entire game is only 48 minutes. Or don't have OT at all.
And then go back to a 14 game schedule.
Like I said, it is just optics.....and it WILL lead to more tie games. So we just have to live with that fact.
In other words, party like its 1972.
Yes the OT reduction is just one little piece in trying to address a much bigger problem, repeated head trauma. The NFL, their lawyers, top brass have all been debating this which is partly why they jumped to pay the union demands on money for retired players with CTE and deceased players families trying to get some settlements. (Oh I'm too lazy to look it up now.)
The inital agreement was small compared to what is coming in the coming years.
And reduced clock, fewer games anything like that is the NFL going backwards and the owners, players, fans won't like or want that.
Oh well, I like to kid younger fans that I actually saw Jim Brown play and the BROWNS win a championship......way back when.
Yes the OT reduction is just one little piece in trying to address a much bigger problem, repeated head trauma. The NFL, their lawyers, top brass have all been debating this which is partly why they jumped to pay the union demands on money for retired players with CTE and deceased players families trying to get some settlements. (Oh I'm too lazy to look it up now.)
The inital agreement was small compared to what is coming in the coming years.
And reduced clock, fewer games anything like that is the NFL going backwards and the owners, players, fans won't like or want that.
Oh well, I like to kid younger fans that I actually saw Jim Brown play and the BROWNS win a championship......way back when.
I am not sure it can even be considered one little piece. I guess I agree with Glommie here. I don't think it makes a scintilla of a difference to a players overall career if he plays a handful of OT games that go 10 minutes instead of 15 minutes.
But I DO think that those tie games could very well have a great effect on the playoffs, in terms of who gets in or not, and for seeding. But I am OK with that.
Remember 1989:
AFC Central Cleveland Browns* 9 6 1 .594 334 254 80 5.0 -0.6 4.4 -0.2 4.6 Houston Oilers+ 9 7 0 .563 365 412 -47 -2.9 0.4 -2.5 2.8 -5.3 Pittsburgh Steelers+ 9 7 0 .563 265 326 -61 -3.8 0.1 -3.7 -4.3 0.6 Cincinnati Bengals 8 8 0 .500 404 285 119 7.4 -0.5 6.9 4.6 -
If you're given the ball with the chance to end the game, you take that opportunity. Every single f***ing time.
In OT yes take the ball I'm trying to think of one time when someone deferred college or pro. Maybe a snowstorn kick deep and wait? I dunno.
In OT yes take the ball I'm trying to think of one time when someone deferred college or pro. Maybe a snowstorn kick deep and wait? I dunno.
The Patriots elected to play defense a few seasons ago on a Sunday night game when it was super windy. Defense held and the punt didn't go anywhere and they got the ball near midfield as I recall and completed like one pass and then kicked a FG with the wind to win the game.
-
Yes the OT reduction is just one little piece in trying to address a much bigger problem, repeated head trauma. The NFL, their lawyers, top brass have all been debating this which is partly why they jumped to pay the union demands on money for retired players with CTE and deceased players families trying to get some settlements. (Oh I'm too lazy to look it up now.)
The inital agreement was small compared to what is coming in the coming years.
And reduced clock, fewer games anything like that is the NFL going backwards and the owners, players, fans won't like or want that.
Oh well, I like to kid younger fans that I actually saw Jim Brown play and the BROWNS win a championship......way back when.
I am not sure it can even be considered one little piece. I guess I agree with Glommie here. I don't think it makes a scintilla of a difference to a players overall career if he plays a handful of OT games that go 10 minutes instead of 15 minutes.
But I DO think that those tie games could very well have a great effect on the playoffs, in terms of who gets in or not, and for seeding. But I am OK with that.
Remember 1989:
AFC Central Cleveland Browns* 9 6 1 .594 334 254 80 5.0 -0.6 4.4 -0.2 4.6 Houston Oilers+ 9 7 0 .563 365 412 -47 -2.9 0.4 -2.5 2.8 -5.3 Pittsburgh Steelers+ 9 7 0 .563 265 326 -61 -3.8 0.1 -3.7 -4.3 0.6 Cincinnati Bengals 8 8 0 .500 404 285 119 7.4 -0.5 6.9 4.6 I am not sure it can even be considered one little piece. I guess I agree with Glommie here. I don't think it makes a scintilla of a difference to a players overall career if he plays a handful of OT games that go 10 minutes instead of 15 minutes.
Yes it does again to reduce total hits ALONG with other measures, face it they're going to take as much high and low speed contact out of the game as they can.
How about no kickoffs and starting at the 25 yard line, it' been discussed and other measures. ALSO more high schools are dropping football alltogether as we've discussed before.
Wait until the soccer moms find out soccer can cause concussions too, oh no ping pong?
-
I am not sure it can even be considered one little piece. I guess I agree with Glommie here. I don't think it makes a scintilla of a difference to a players overall career if he plays a handful of OT games that go 10 minutes instead of 15 minutes.
Yes it does again to reduce total hits ALONG with other measures, face it they're going to take as much high and low speed contact out of the game as they can.
How about no kickoffs and starting at the 25 yard line, it' been discussed and other measures. ALSO more high schools are dropping football alltogether as we've discussed before.
Wait until the soccer moms find out soccer can cause concussions too, oh no ping pong?
Yes it does again to reduce total hits ALONG with other measures, face it they're going to take as much high and low speed contact out of the game as they can.
How about no kickoffs and starting at the 25 yard line, it' been discussed and other measures. ALSO more high schools are dropping football alltogether as we've discussed before.
Wait until the soccer mom's find out soccer can cause concussions too, oh no ping pong?
Why don't we just put all the players in bubble wrap.

-
When I saw that early PBS show on concussions and CTE which lead to the movie I was stunned at the allegations so I looked into it more and more.
It is a real and serious problem in contact sports -and- war with IEDs and other similar head trama. Service people and athletes and killing themselves rather than live with it in extreme cases. Just the dreary facts, in the 1940s, 1950s even 1960s they were just punchy old boxers (I knew one) or cowards, not now.
-
Yes it does again to reduce total hits ALONG with other measures, face it they're going to take as much high and low speed contact out of the game as they can.
How about no kickoffs and starting at the 25 yard line, it' been discussed and other measures. ALSO more high schools are dropping football alltogether as we've discussed before.
Wait until the soccer mom's find out soccer can cause concussions too, oh no ping pong?
Why don't we just put all the players in bubble wrap.

Why don't we just put all the players in bubble wrap.
I'd rather watch hot chicks in lingerie football.
-
Why don't we just put all the players in bubble wrap.
I'd rather watch hot chicks in lingerie football.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
