Skip to content

Raiders and Chargers moves

The Browns Board
40 9 1.2k
  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Some related news today

    NBC 7 San Diego@nbcsandiego
    BREAKING: Chargers owner Alex Spanos, the son of Greek immigrants who built a business empire, has died at age 95. on.nbc7.com/ZfFAz4k
  • Some related news today

    NBC 7 San Diego@nbcsandiego
    BREAKING: Chargers owner Alex Spanos, the son of Greek immigrants who built a business empire, has died at age 95. on.nbc7.com/ZfFAz4k
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @londonbrown said:

    Some related news today

    His son had already taken over operation of the team anyway long ago. 

    On the issue of whether or not there would be any city out there that would want to take the Chargers if things went south for them in LA.  Some of you answered that there were none, and to that I say  Balderdash.   An NFL franchise, more than an MLB/NBA/NHL  franchise would be desirable to any city.  It is not a matter of cities not wanting a team, it is a matter of NFL politics.

    San Antonio would want them....but they would be blocked by  Jerry Jones who thinks he owns the rights to football in that town (but Houston is making a major incursion into that thought)

    Portland may want them.....but Paul Allen considers Portland his territory for his Seahawks  (but then Paul Allen may be dying of cancer)

    Salt Lake City?  Perhaps.   A growing western market.

    Oklahoma City......see San Antonio

    St. Louis.   Not any time soon since they were  fuycked by the NFL.

    There could be a few others.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #12

    there's some rumors Joey B might not be terribly interested in playing for the chargers much longer because a lot of the chargers players don't like the move. Chargers are going to be the worst team in football soon, no fan base. LA is rams town. The fans don't want some cast off from SD. 

  • @londonbrown said:

    Some related news today

    His son had already taken over operation of the team anyway long ago. 

    On the issue of whether or not there would be any city out there that would want to take the Chargers if things went south for them in LA.  Some of you answered that there were none, and to that I say  Balderdash.   An NFL franchise, more than an MLB/NBA/NHL  franchise would be desirable to any city.  It is not a matter of cities not wanting a team, it is a matter of NFL politics.

    San Antonio would want them....but they would be blocked by  Jerry Jones who thinks he owns the rights to football in that town (but Houston is making a major incursion into that thought)

    Portland may want them.....but Paul Allen considers Portland his territory for his Seahawks  (but then Paul Allen may be dying of cancer)

    Salt Lake City?  Perhaps.   A growing western market.

    Oklahoma City......see San Antonio

    St. Louis.   Not any time soon since they were  fuycked by the NFL.

    There could be a few others.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @the-gipper said:

    His son had already taken over operation of the team anyway long ago. 

    On the issue of whether or not there would be any city out there that would want to take the Chargers if things went south for them in LA.  Some of you answered that there were none, and to that I say  Balderdash.   An NFL franchise, more than an MLB/NBA/NHL  franchise would be desirable to any city.  It is not a matter of cities not wanting a team, it is a matter of NFL politics.

    San Antonio would want them....but they would be blocked by  Jerry Jones who thinks he owns the rights to football in that town (but Houston is making a major incursion into that thought)

    Portland may want them.....but Paul Allen considers Portland his territory for his Seahawks  (but then Paul Allen may be dying of cancer)

    Salt Lake City?  Perhaps.   A growing western market.

    Oklahoma City......see San Antonio

    St. Louis.   Not any time soon since they were  fuycked by the NFL.

    There could be a few others.

    Want and be able to afford are two totally different things.  None of those cities have a billion dollar stadium built and ready for a team to move into and not many cities are going to be willing to spend that kind of cash that it would take to get an NFL team to move.

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Just read St Louis are going for a MLS franchise 

  • @londonbrown said:

    If they have no long term home support surely they can't be sustained as a franchise and will end up moving again?

    Its entirely possible.   But I guess as long as the stadium is full, even if its of opposing teams fans, the NFL won't care.   There really are not a lot of cities that are viable options for teams to move anyways.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @mark-o said:

    Its entirely possible.   But I guess as long as the stadium is full, even if its of opposing teams fans, the NFL won't care.   There really are not a lot of cities that are viable options for teams to move anyways.

    San Antonio

  • @mark-o said:

    Its entirely possible.   But I guess as long as the stadium is full, even if its of opposing teams fans, the NFL won't care.   There really are not a lot of cities that are viable options for teams to move anyways.

    San Antonio

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @texasag1969 said:

    San Antonio

    never happen. Between the cowboys and Jerrah and the Texans owner.....not a chance. 

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #17

    When I was stationed in San Diego I would when possible go to Chargers and Padres games.  The fans were fantastic.  Great Tail gates.  Was sad to see the Chargers leave San Diego.  Shmuck LA.

  • @the-gipper said:

    His son had already taken over operation of the team anyway long ago. 

    On the issue of whether or not there would be any city out there that would want to take the Chargers if things went south for them in LA.  Some of you answered that there were none, and to that I say  Balderdash.   An NFL franchise, more than an MLB/NBA/NHL  franchise would be desirable to any city.  It is not a matter of cities not wanting a team, it is a matter of NFL politics.

    San Antonio would want them....but they would be blocked by  Jerry Jones who thinks he owns the rights to football in that town (but Houston is making a major incursion into that thought)

    Portland may want them.....but Paul Allen considers Portland his territory for his Seahawks  (but then Paul Allen may be dying of cancer)

    Salt Lake City?  Perhaps.   A growing western market.

    Oklahoma City......see San Antonio

    St. Louis.   Not any time soon since they were  fuycked by the NFL.

    There could be a few others.

    Want and be able to afford are two totally different things.  None of those cities have a billion dollar stadium built and ready for a team to move into and not many cities are going to be willing to spend that kind of cash that it would take to get an NFL team to move.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @mark-o said:

    Want and be able to afford are two totally different things.  None of those cities have a billion dollar stadium built and ready for a team to move into and not many cities are going to be willing to spend that kind of cash that it would take to get an NFL team to move.

    True,  but, if some NFL owner essentially declared himself open for business to move his team,  there would be cities that would be clamoring to try to set up those finances.   That is basically what Las Vegas did.

  • Just read St Louis are going for a MLS franchise 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #19

    @londonbrown said:

    Just read St Louis are going for a MLS franchise 

    So is San Diego.

    And, I am seeing that Cincifuyuckinnati has apparently been awarded an MLS team.   Why would they do that  when there is a team up the road in Columbus?

    https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/05/30/ranking-the-cities-next-in-line-for-mls-expansion/

  • @londonbrown said:

    Just read St Louis are going for a MLS franchise 

    So is San Diego.

    And, I am seeing that Cincifuyuckinnati has apparently been awarded an MLS team.   Why would they do that  when there is a team up the road in Columbus?

    https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/05/30/ranking-the-cities-next-in-line-for-mls-expansion/

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    So is San Diego.

    And, I am seeing that Cincifuyuckinnati has apparently been awarded an MLS team.   Why would they do that  when there is a team up the road in Columbus?

    https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/05/30/ranking-the-cities-next-in-line-for-mls-expansion/

    I am pretty sure the Columbus team is moving to Austin but even if that isn't happening.  Cincinatti has had a league below MLS team for a few years and draws quite a crowd for the games which is why they're getting an MLS team even if there's a team in Columbus.  

    From all reports, San Diego is getting an MLS team as long as the vote to tear down Qualcomm (the old Chargers stadium) and build a soccer stadium on that site along with a park and all sorts of other stuff gets the necessary votes in November which based on my history with these things in San Diego has no chance of passing despite it not costing any public money. 

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I’m just glad Cleveland isn’t getting one.

    The last thing I need is just to start off making cursory glances at their results before eventually getting a paid subscription for their live games and reading news articles, tweets and fan forums on them every day 😉

  • I’m just glad Cleveland isn’t getting one.

    The last thing I need is just to start off making cursory glances at their results before eventually getting a paid subscription for their live games and reading news articles, tweets and fan forums on them every day 😉

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @londonbrown said:

    I’m just glad Cleveland isn’t getting one.

    The last thing I need is just to start off making cursory glances at their results before eventually getting a paid subscription for their live games and reading news articles, tweets and fan forums on them every day 😉

    It's good for you to have many, many, many teams to follow. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #23

    I don't know exactly why I think this, or when it happens, but somehow I think the Chargers eventually return to San Diego. 

    They had a good thing going for a long time. 

  • @londonbrown said:

    I’m just glad Cleveland isn’t getting one.

    The last thing I need is just to start off making cursory glances at their results before eventually getting a paid subscription for their live games and reading news articles, tweets and fan forums on them every day 😉

    It's good for you to have many, many, many teams to follow. 

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @mark-o said:

    It's good for you to have many, many, many teams to follow. 

    I’ve even got into the Cavs and Indians (albeit mainly during the playoffs) and been up far too late at night watching their matches. This City and it’s sports teams have a way of sucking you in. 

    On that note this tweet I saw really made me laugh 

    495B564D-2959-49D7-933C-946417A974C3.thumb.png.45bd1d239dcb18d2f374acf05b0971c8.png

  • I don't know exactly why I think this, or when it happens, but somehow I think the Chargers eventually return to San Diego. 

    They had a good thing going for a long time. 

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @dutch-oven said:

    I don't know exactly why I think this, or when it happens, but somehow I think the Chargers eventually return to San Diego. 

    They had a good thing going for a long time. 

    It would be nice if it was to happen but I don't think it will.   Would need the Spanos family to sell the team and that's just the first step since they also need a stadium. 

  • I’m just glad Cleveland isn’t getting one.

    The last thing I need is just to start off making cursory glances at their results before eventually getting a paid subscription for their live games and reading news articles, tweets and fan forums on them every day 😉

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @londonbrown said:

    I’m just glad Cleveland isn’t getting one.

    The last thing I need is just to start off making cursory glances at their results before eventually getting a paid subscription for their live games and reading news articles, tweets and fan forums on them every day 😉

    We always preferred indoor soccer around here anyway. 

  • @mark-o said:

    Want and be able to afford are two totally different things.  None of those cities have a billion dollar stadium built and ready for a team to move into and not many cities are going to be willing to spend that kind of cash that it would take to get an NFL team to move.

    True,  but, if some NFL owner essentially declared himself open for business to move his team,  there would be cities that would be clamoring to try to set up those finances.   That is basically what Las Vegas did.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @the-gipper said:

    True,  but, if some NFL owner essentially declared himself open for business to move his team,  there would be cities that would be clamoring to try to set up those finances.   That is basically what Las Vegas did.

    RE: the Raiders move: It wasn't just Las Vegas Gipper. It was the whole freaking state of Nevada kicking in cash on top of it. Shades of the Ratbirds and Maryland. You suggested other possible cities, and unless they get state funding (and no interference from owners who consider those cities their territory) it's not happening anytime soon. The NFL will make sure any new stadium isn't a budget special- billion dollar minimum to join the club. 

    You're forgetting as Mark pointed out- San Diego wasn't giving in to Spanos extortion, and St. Louis (a far bigger market than anything you mentioned) couldn't pony up a sweet enough deal to make Kroenke want to stay. 

  • I’m just glad Cleveland isn’t getting one.

    The last thing I need is just to start off making cursory glances at their results before eventually getting a paid subscription for their live games and reading news articles, tweets and fan forums on them every day 😉

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @londonbrown said:

    I’m just glad Cleveland isn’t getting one.

    The last thing I need is just to start off making cursory glances at their results before eventually getting a paid subscription for their live games and reading news articles, tweets and fan forums on them every day 😉

    And we europeans are better off Cleveland based sports fan forums.

    Nothing good comes from them.

  • @londonbrown said:

    I’m just glad Cleveland isn’t getting one.

    The last thing I need is just to start off making cursory glances at their results before eventually getting a paid subscription for their live games and reading news articles, tweets and fan forums on them every day 😉

    We always preferred indoor soccer around here anyway. 

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @the-gipper said:

    We always preferred indoor soccer around here anyway. 

    Indoor soccer is a lot of fun. Both for playing and for watching.

    It's the only team sport I've played lately and it is fun when you get used to the nuances of the game.