Skip to content

The official Terry Pluto thread

The Browns Board
1.1k 45 54.0k 1
  • @orion said:

    Not me. 

    I knew we were gonna suck after the 10-6 season.  I told people,  "We don't have a QB!   Derick Anderson sucks!  He can throw it 70 yards but he can't complete a 5 yard crossing pattern on 3rd down."

    THIS time we HAVE a QB.  (and much more)  THIS time it's a totally different feeling.......for ME anyway.   THIS  time I'm telling people, "Yup, we're good on paper.  We just gotta make sure that those pieces of paper do it on the actual football field."  

    Right on the money! 2007 was an absolute FLUKE! I could never understand the DA hype....Strong arm, NO touch.

    We now have a REAL QB and surrounding talent. What needs to happen now is for all this talent to gel as a UNIT. To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows? Stay tuned folks as it's gonna be fun watching this Team grow.

    Mike

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

    To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows?

    I wasn't thinking that it should take the whole season (but there IS a lot of 'new'...coaches, playbooks, players, etc.....and the modern practice rules negotiated by the players union limits how much practicing you can do -  -  this is where teams with continuity have an advantage).   Still though, I'm hoping that by the 4th or 5th game Baker and his receivers, old & new, will be in sync.  The OL will also have to play well together...which is a concern.

  • @canton-mike said:

    To be really great on field, these players need to learn what the tendencies, strengths, & weaknesses are of those players around them, then work together to mesh & achieve goals. I think that will happen, but it will take time & how much time is the question....games? weeks? a season? longer? Who knows?

    I wasn't thinking that it should take the whole season (but there IS a lot of 'new'...coaches, playbooks, players, etc.....and the modern practice rules negotiated by the players union limits how much practicing you can do -  -  this is where teams with continuity have an advantage).   Still though, I'm hoping that by the 4th or 5th game Baker and his receivers, old & new, will be in sync.  The OL will also have to play well together...which is a concern.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    I wasn't thinking that it should take the whole season (but there IS a lot of 'new'...coaches, playbooks, players, etc.....and the modern practice rules negotiated by the players union limits how much practicing you can do -  -  this is where teams with continuity have an advantage).   Still though, I'm hoping that by the 4th or 5th game Baker and his receivers, old & new, will be in sync.  The OL will also have to play well together...which is a concern.

    Yep. We DO have outstanding Coordinators & position Coaches, especially Campen on the OL & that will help a lot. My biggest concern is at LB. Also, that early Bye Week may actually help to give us a little time to work on little "bugs" that may pop up. I'm hoping that we should be in pretty good shape by the Bye Week (if not before).

    It also helps having players that fit what Dorsey wants, smart & passionate.....I'll call 'em "WII" players...Winners who are Intelligent & Intense.

    Mike

  • @orion said:

    I wasn't thinking that it should take the whole season (but there IS a lot of 'new'...coaches, playbooks, players, etc.....and the modern practice rules negotiated by the players union limits how much practicing you can do -  -  this is where teams with continuity have an advantage).   Still though, I'm hoping that by the 4th or 5th game Baker and his receivers, old & new, will be in sync.  The OL will also have to play well together...which is a concern.

    Yep. We DO have outstanding Coordinators & position Coaches, especially Campen on the OL & that will help a lot. My biggest concern is at LB. Also, that early Bye Week may actually help to give us a little time to work on little "bugs" that may pop up. I'm hoping that we should be in pretty good shape by the Bye Week (if not before).

    It also helps having players that fit what Dorsey wants, smart & passionate.....I'll call 'em "WII" players...Winners who are Intelligent & Intense.

    Mike

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

     My biggest concern is at LB.

    Mike

    I just posted the same on the "schedule" thread. Derrick Henry will test 'em big time, because Vrabel discovered what he really had late there last season. The previous coach never used him properly. Vrabel did the last few games. He starts becoming effective in the second half when LBs get weary of being hit so hard by the big man.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion

    after a 1-31 record and a team that not only was terrible, but low scoring and almost deathly boring -- last season was so much fun.

    Part of football is entertainment.

    When Baker Mayfield took over as quarterback, the Browns became fun to watch.

    ...so well said.

    Prior to Baker Mayfield we were in fact, deathly boring.  Aside from us die-hards, who woulda' wanted to watch a 1-31 team?

    ...........and then, down 14-0, from his own 34, with 1:42 left in the half...Baker Mayfield, with ZERO reps with the first team all training camp, preseason, until this moment....fired 2 consecutive passes for 1st downs and transformed the 'deathly boring' Browns into the Fun to Watch Browns.  Pluto said it.....and a construction worker renovating the building I work in said it.  He said to me, ' I got the sunday ticket.  I can watch all the games.  But I find myself gravitating to YOUR game cos you guys are fun to watch."    (Wow)

    Baker Mayfield transformed the perception of this team.  But John Dorsey had the insight to pick him!  He didn't select the rookie of the year running back.  He didn't select any of the other 'top four' quarterbacks.  Nope.  Dorsey chose the one that instantly transformed our team  from that first moment that he waked out onto the field with the starting offense.  -  And since making that selection Dorsey has gone about acquiring every possible offensive weapon  for his quarterback.

    Just like Mayfield making a positive impact when HE took over, Dorsey cut Kenny Britt as soon as he was given the keys to the building.  Both guys, improving the team Right out of the Gate!

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    10. I will be talking Browns and other things at the Bay Village Library on May 9 at 7 p.m. It’s free. I’ll be glad to sign books. You can register here.

    Anyone ever attended one of Terry's Talks?

  • 10. I will be talking Browns and other things at the Bay Village Library on May 9 at 7 p.m. It’s free. I’ll be glad to sign books. You can register here.

    Anyone ever attended one of Terry's Talks?

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Anyone ever attended one of Terry's Talks?

    I have not but I probably would if you did one of the Akron area.

    WSS

  • @tour2ma said:

    Anyone ever attended one of Terry's Talks?

    I have not but I probably would if you did one of the Akron area.

    WSS

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    I have not but I probably would if you did one of the Akron area.

    WSS

    I'm pretty sure I've seen where he's done them from Books-A-Million at Chapel Hill and Barnes and Noble in Montrose in the past. 

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/cleveland-browns-trying-to-figure-out-duke-johnsons-future-terry-pluto.html

    The Duke Johnson conundrum

    Frankly I've always liked to Duke and would really like to see him make more of an impact out of the backfield. 

    WSS

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/cleveland-browns-impressive-nfl-draft-has-me-talking-to-myself-terry-pluto.html

    Terry's thoughts on the Browns defense-centric 2019 draft... 

    Ahh you beat me to it Dutchman

    WSS

  • @dutch-oven said:

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04/cleveland-browns-impressive-nfl-draft-has-me-talking-to-myself-terry-pluto.html

    Terry's thoughts on the Browns defense-centric 2019 draft... 

    Ahh you beat me to it Dutchman

    WSS

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    Ahh you beat me to it Dutchman

    WSS

    This is a great thread, glad to help keep it going!

  • @westside-steve said:

    Ahh you beat me to it Dutchman

    WSS

    This is a great thread, glad to help keep it going!

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    This is a great thread, glad to help keep it going!

    My favorite sports writer. Hall of Famer especially when it comes to baseball. Big loss for the Beacon Journal. Then again so was the sale by McClatchy.

    WSS

  • @dutch-oven said:

    This is a great thread, glad to help keep it going!

    My favorite sports writer. Hall of Famer especially when it comes to baseball. Big loss for the Beacon Journal. Then again so was the sale by McClatchy.

    WSS

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    My favorite sports writer. Hall of Famer especially when it comes to baseball. Big loss for the Beacon Journal. Then again so was the sale by McClatchy.

    WSS

    There was a time growing up when the Beacon Journal's sports section was every bit as good as the Plain Dealer's, and Pluto was a big reason for it. 

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers

    I liked the News Herald when they had Hal Lebowitz, Jeff Schudel and Joe Menzer

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    I like Pluto (who doesn't?) & I was a huge Hal Lebowitz fan. I was a Plain Dealer paperboy & 1st thing I read daily was the column "Ask Hal".

    Mike

  • I like Pluto (who doesn't?) & I was a huge Hal Lebowitz fan. I was a Plain Dealer paperboy & 1st thing I read daily was the column "Ask Hal".

    Mike

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @canton-mike said:

    I like Pluto (who doesn't?) & I was a huge Hal Lebowitz fan. I was a Plain Dealer paperboy & 1st thing I read daily was the column "Ask Hal".

    Mike

    Did you go on to use it in the outhouse after that trek through the snow?❄️☃️?

  • @canton-mike said:

    I like Pluto (who doesn't?) & I was a huge Hal Lebowitz fan. I was a Plain Dealer paperboy & 1st thing I read daily was the column "Ask Hal".

    Mike

    Did you go on to use it in the outhouse after that trek through the snow?❄️☃️?

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    Did you go on to use it in the outhouse after that trek through the snow?❄️☃️?

    You betcha!! 😆

    Mike