The official Terry Pluto thread
-
Leadership, good read and a few highlights:
But as GM John Dorsey told me: “The great teams have always been self-regulated by the veterans in the locker room.”
That’s where it will be fascinating to watch the Browns.
This is not a team with a lot of players who have experienced much winning at the NFL level.
Consider some of the players mentioned by Dorsey who are emerging as team leaders:
1. QB Baker Mayfield.
2. Receivers Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr.
3. Guard Joel Bitonio.
4. Defensive ends Myles Garrett and Olivier Vernon.
5. Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson.
6. Safety Damarious Randall.
This was not a complete list, just guys Dorsey quickly mentioned. The Browns named three captains, one for each unit: Christian Kirksey (defense), Charley Hughlett (special teams) and Mayfield (offense).
Add it all up and that’s 10 total players.
They have played in a total of eight post-season games: Randall (5), Beckham (1), Vernon (1) and Landry (1).
-
The last Pluto article basically mirrored my exact thought process for this game, lol. I went back and forth before hesitantly picking Browns to win 27 to 17. There's such a giant part of my consciousness that says "The Titans make the game ugly, Vrabel is a solid coach, and we have a rookie kicker. This smells like an upset with our kicker costing us the game."
LOL, but whatever. That's just the brain trying to find ways to lose because that's what we've historically done. Time for a damn change.
-
The last Pluto article basically mirrored my exact thought process for this game, lol. I went back and forth before hesitantly picking Browns to win 27 to 17. There's such a giant part of my consciousness that says "The Titans make the game ugly, Vrabel is a solid coach, and we have a rookie kicker. This smells like an upset with our kicker costing us the game."
LOL, but whatever. That's just the brain trying to find ways to lose because that's what we've historically done. Time for a damn change.
"The Titans make the game ugly, Vrabel is a solid coach, and we have a rookie kicker. This smells like an upset with our kicker costing us the game."
Nailed 2 outta 3...
Next time listen to your "giant part"...
-
"The Titans make the game ugly, Vrabel is a solid coach, and we have a rookie kicker. This smells like an upset with our kicker costing us the game."
Nailed 2 outta 3...
Next time listen to your "giant part"...
-
And another one this morning. No kidding Terry.
-
He didn’t come out and say it. I will. They played like the bungles.
-
I'll buy this.....
QUESTION: So you think the Browns should win this game?
ANSWER: Decisively.
-
-
-
I heard some media chatter this week saying Browns had to win and win in a convincing fashion. That's complete mullarky to me, as winning in the NFL is so much tougher than the media pundits are realizing. We're on the road, we're a little shell-shocked from last week's debacle, and we're facing a team fighting for their lives. The season is basically over for the losing team, so we better show up with the right mindset. You can bet your ass Gregg Williams will try to get under our skins and we're really going to have to watch it this week because the refs will be scrutinizing us.
Weird things tend to happen on the road. Balls don't bounce your way, you fumble a punt return, calls go against you, you drop an important 3rd down pass...whatever. There's a reason home teams have somewhat of an advantage, and it's more than just noise.
We obviously screwed the pooch at OUR home opener, but hey, we're the Browns and we almost NEVER win the first game. We can, however, win this game, and we really SHOULD. Like I said in another post, Baker needs to settle down a bit and take what's given. After the 75 yard screen pass, he started to press. Before that, he looked pretty damn good. It's going to be a fun game, but don't let the injuries fool you. It's likely going to be a war, at least through 3 quarters and then I believe we'll pull ahead stemming from a pick-6 from Denzel Ward (I'm calling it! Lol).
Ugh...I wish we played now, dammit!
-
-
Post-game scribbles
Add in the punting to the ST comments. Several inside the 10. This area is the most important change I have seen since being on the BB. We are finally winning all phases of that important third of the game.
-
Post-game scribbles
Add in the punting to the ST comments. Several inside the 10. This area is the most important change I have seen since being on the BB. We are finally winning all phases of that important third of the game.
Add in the punting to the ST comments. Several inside the 10. This area is the most important change I have seen since being on the BB. We are finally winning all phases of that important third of the game.
Agreed even though Colquitt was far from being a problem.
I love the Scottish Hammer but I would have really liked to see Austin Corbett step it up.
WSS
-
Add in the punting to the ST comments. Several inside the 10. This area is the most important change I have seen since being on the BB. We are finally winning all phases of that important third of the game.
Agreed even though Colquitt was far from being a problem.
I love the Scottish Hammer but I would have really liked to see Austin Corbett step it up.
WSS
Agreed even though Colquitt was far from being a problem.
I love the Scottish Hammer but I would have really liked to see Austin Corbett step it up.
WSS
You can't step up if you aren't activated. Not a very good sign unless he has some nagging injury that is unreported. Dorsey may just be having a hard time realizing he wasted a pick there like many of us thought when he made it that high. He wasn't even on my drafting radar.
EDIT: Speaking of trades does anyone know why Garrett played so much RDE last night?
-
Agreed even though Colquitt was far from being a problem.
I love the Scottish Hammer but I would have really liked to see Austin Corbett step it up.
WSS
You can't step up if you aren't activated. Not a very good sign unless he has some nagging injury that is unreported. Dorsey may just be having a hard time realizing he wasted a pick there like many of us thought when he made it that high. He wasn't even on my drafting radar.
EDIT: Speaking of trades does anyone know why Garrett played so much RDE last night?
You can't step up if you aren't activated. Not a very good sign unless he has some nagging injury that is unreported. Dorsey may just be having a hard time realizing he wasted a pick there like many of us thought when he made it that high. He wasn't even on my drafting radar.
EDIT: Speaking of trades does anyone know why Garrett played so much RDE last night?
And oh line in the second round should be a should be a stellar pick. And it seems like if he was hurt we'd have heard something about it?
Granted it takes a while sometimes for offensive lineman to develop.
WSS
-
Notable notes from Terry....
2. After the game, Beckham said he knew he’d score a TD but he needed his “hamstrings to hold up.” Then his calves cramped up in the end zone. He went to the locker room where he was put on an I.V. to add fluids to his system.
11. With Dontrell Hilliard (concussion) out, veteran receiver Jarvis Landry volunteered to return punts. He drew praise from teammates and coaches. Some veterans don’t want that job because it has a high rate of injury. Landry looked good, running back four punts for a 12-yard average.
12. Landry said: “I just want to help the team. I know special teams is a big part of the game.”
13. Landry was right, especially when it came kicker Austin Seibert. The rookie drilled field goals of 48, 43 and 23 yards. He was perfect on both extra points. On a night when the Browns had trouble getting the ball in the end zone. those field goals gave them some breathing room....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Which reminds us again that there is no I in team.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

