Skip to content

The official Terry Pluto thread

The Browns Board
1.1k 45 54.0k 1
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    Terry Pluto has so much class and style in his writings, good read.  (too bad what's his name spoiled the party)

    16. Kitchens mentioned the Browns are 2-0 in the AFC North and this is the first time the Browns have defeated Pittsburgh and the Baltimore Ravens in the same season. That’s why this 4-6 season has been frustrating. A few times, the Browns have shown they can be a good team.

    ........also I'm glad that Westside Steve put this thread together.  😉

  • Terry Pluto has so much class and style in his writings, good read.  (too bad what's his name spoiled the party)

    16. Kitchens mentioned the Browns are 2-0 in the AFC North and this is the first time the Browns have defeated Pittsburgh and the Baltimore Ravens in the same season. That’s why this 4-6 season has been frustrating. A few times, the Browns have shown they can be a good team.

    ........also I'm glad that Westside Steve put this thread together.  😉

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Terry Pluto has so much class and style in his writings, good read.  (too bad what's his name spoiled the party)

    16. Kitchens mentioned the Browns are 2-0 in the AFC North and this is the first time the Browns have defeated Pittsburgh and the Baltimore Ravens in the same season. That’s why this 4-6 season has been frustrating. A few times, the Browns have shown they can be a good team.

    And that's just it, man. And the inconsistency has come from such a variety of things that it's infuriating. Turnovers one game, penalties another, red zone woes, defense giving up the untimely drive when we have a lead, or whatever else. Now you add in the fact that we lost our best non-qb player for the year and you're thinking, "Geez, NOW what?!" 

    It's frustrating because our team can't seem to get out of its own way! How impressive does that Ravens victory look now? Lamar Jackson looks unstoppable, like him or not. We put together two wins in a row, our team was starting to come together, and with 8 seconds left it falls apart. Man, it just feels awful, ya know? This team had so much promise. Hopefully we can get one more win against the Fins, but I gotta tell ya, if I was a betting man, I'd be taking the Fins to at least cover, if not win. I just don't know if we're going to be able to win shorthanded after the emotional toll taken on everyone. We're going to find out a lot about Freddie Kitchens Sunday, and his offense is likely going to need more than 21 to give the home crowd another W. 

  • Another step in getting this season turned around?

    17. A victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night could be a season-changer for the Browns. It’s a home game. It would be two wins in four days for a team that was on a four-game losing streak. A loss...well...when a team is 3-6 like the Browns, every loss is a major setback.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Another step in getting this season turned around?

    17. A victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night could be a season-changer for the Browns. It’s a home game. It would be two wins in four days for a team that was on a four-game losing streak. A loss...well...when a team is 3-6 like the Browns, every loss is a major setback.

    And remember back before the game where this team was.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    From Discover on Google

  • From Discover on Google

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    From Discover on Google

    Good piece on the coach.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    From early Monday morning, this team growing up and together.  (I just saw this Steve.)

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/cleveland-browns-postgame-scribbles-some-signs-of-growing-up-and-growing-together.html

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    Good piece but two things stood out to me (besides Chubb):

    6. Because of suspensions (Myles Garrett, Larry Ogunjobi) and an injury (Olivier Vernon), Sheldon Richardson was the only usual starting defensive lineman on the field. He delivered two sacks, a tackle for a loss and batted down a pass. Linebacker Joe Schobert had two interceptions... again! That’s four in two games. Schobert is the only Browns defensive player to be on the field for 100 percent of the snaps this season.

    17. Pittsburgh did win and raised its record to 6-5. The Browns are 5-6. Next Sunday’s game in Pittsburgh has a major impact on which of the two teams stays in the wild card playoff race.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    Today from Terry Pluto, a good Thanksgiving weekend read! 

    CLEVELAND – Every Thanksgiving, I write Thank You column to you, the readers.

    Without you, the readers.

    There is no us, the writers.

    I am especially thankful because I started in this business when stories were written on typewriters.

    Some of you reading that sentence may think, “I’ve heard of typewriter. Not sure what it looked like or what it did. Was it compatible with MAC or Microsoft?"

    That’s OK. When I covered the Indians during my first tour of duty at The Plain Dealer, we went on West Coast trips via wagon train...... continued......

     https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/cleveland-sports-a-reason-to-give-thanks-to-fans-readers-and-the-teams-we-watch.html

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    We saw it, Terry said it......  

    ......Then you look at the game plan the Browns had for Pittsburgh... and what happened?

    The Browns lost to a Steeler team without its star QB (Ben Roethlisbeger), best wide receiver (JuJu Smith-Schuster), top running back (James Conner) and Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey (suspended).

    The Browns were up 10-0 in the middle of the second quarter. The Steelers made some adjustments. Then the Browns just looked like a bunch of guys who couldn’t find their cellphone, staggering around feeling lost......

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    Pluto:

    "Browns fans, I don’t know how you endure this year after year. I really don’t.

    I’d like to say that I feel sorry for you, but those words are so hollow.

    You deserve better."

    This is beyond frustrating at this point. 

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    Odell in a nutshell:

    Q: Lots of questions, right?

    A: Exactly. With four games left, I doubt any of those answers are apparent right now. It is obvious Beckham and the offense currently constructed are not made for each other. And the strength of this offense is the running backs. Not only are Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt terrific running the ball, they also can catch it.

    Q: Where are you going with this stream of consciousness rambling?

    A: I imagine Odell sees the same things. There’s Hunt. There’s Chubb. There’s Landry. Offensive coordinator Todd Monken answered a question about Odell not getting the ball more by mentioning those three players, then explaining the obvious: “We have only one football.”

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    From linked "film study" article in the first of the two latest Pluto articles... https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/after-pedestrian-outing-versus-steelers-odell-beckham-jr-seems-destined-for-forgettable-first-season-in-cleveland-film-review.html

    This video was used to show how a protection breakdown negated a deep ball opportunity (OBJ running an out at the 43 at top left against double). What I see is a QB scrambling with his eyes fixed upon the rush missing wide-open opportunities to his left at the 24 and right at the 15. Note that the Brown to Baker's right is waving his raised hand.

    This is more disturbing to me than the analyst's case than an "open" OBJ. I dispute how open a WR covered by an under, inside trail CB and an over, forward facing Safety really is.

    The bigger point is the field vision under pressure of our 2nd=year QB. I don't recall it being this limited last season.

    image.png.1f8a22823439f772fc951498bc5f3a28.png

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
  • From linked "film study" article in the first of the two latest Pluto articles... https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/after-pedestrian-outing-versus-steelers-odell-beckham-jr-seems-destined-for-forgettable-first-season-in-cleveland-film-review.html

    This video was used to show how a protection breakdown negated a deep ball opportunity (OBJ running an out at the 43 at top left against double). What I see is a QB scrambling with his eyes fixed upon the rush missing wide-open opportunities to his left at the 24 and right at the 15. Note that the Brown to Baker's right is waving his raised hand.

    This is more disturbing to me than the analyst's case than an "open" OBJ. I dispute how open a WR covered by an under, inside trail CB and an over, forward facing Safety really is.

    The bigger point is the field vision under pressure of our 2nd=year QB. I don't recall it being this limited last season.

    image.png.1f8a22823439f772fc951498bc5f3a28.png

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    From linked "film study" article in the first of the two latest Pluto articles... https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/after-pedestrian-outing-versus-steelers-odell-beckham-jr-seems-destined-for-forgettable-first-season-in-cleveland-film-review.html

    This video was used to show how a protection breakdown negated a deep ball opportunity (OBJ running an out at the 43 at top left against double). What I see is a QB scrambling with his eyes fixed upon the rush missing wide-open opportunities to his left at the 24 and right at the 15. Note that the Brown to Baker's right is waving his raised hand.

    This is more disturbing to me than the analyst's case than an "open" OBJ. I dispute how open a WR covered by an under, inside trail CB and an over, forward facing Safety really is.

    The bigger point is the field vision under pressure of our 2nd=year QB. I don't recall it being this limited last season.

    He had a better OL last year. A little more time to go through progressions.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    I like this line of thinking, chopped up and put together for this game:

    CLEVELAND, Ohio — Talking to myself about the Cleveland Browns as they prepare to face the Cardinals on Sunday in Glendale, Arizona:

    QUESTION: Let’s suppose the Browns beat Arizona, OK?

    By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

    CLEVELAND, Ohio — Talking to myself about the Cleveland Browns as they prepare to face the Cardinals on Sunday in Glendale, Arizona:

    QUESTION: Let’s suppose the Browns beat Arizona, OK?

    ANSWER: That’s a reasonable expectation.

    Q: If the Browns win, that makes them 7-7 for the season, right?

    A: That’s the math.

    Q: Now suppose someone had told you the Browns would be 7-7 after they started 2-6 and lost in Denver to Brandon Allen, what would you think?

    A: At that point, I thought there was a chance the team would collapse and Freddie Kitchens would be fired, even with a favorable second-half schedule looming.....

    Q: Exactly the point being lost in this season.

    A: I agree. If the Browns beat Arizona, that makes them 5-1 in the second half. It means they will be 3-1 since Myles Garrett was suspended. It gives them a chance for their first winning season since 2007.

    Q: In that respect, isn’t it a little like last year?

    A: In terms of record, the Browns were 2-5-1 when head coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley were fired in 2018. When Gregg Williams was named interim head coach and Kitchens began calling the plays, there were zero expectations of success. Rather, it looked like another chorus of Browns blues was about to begin......

    A: The Cardinals rank 24th against the run (120 yards allowed per game). You have Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Guard Joel Bitonio talked about the offensive line taking pride in Chubb already gaining 1,000 yards. They want him to win the rushing title. I like that attitude. Chubb chewing up yards is a winning formula.......

    A: I don’t. I expect them to play a solid game, winning 27-17. My record picking the Browns is 8-4 this season. 

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ end of Terry's thinking.

    I think we can agree with that, but too bad about the DEN and PIT II games or we'd be in the playoff picture right now.