Skip to content

The official Terry Pluto thread

The Browns Board
1.1k 45 54.0k 1
  • @the-gipper said:

    Injuries count. If Sam Bowie and Greg Oden had not been injured we may have counted them among the great NBA centers of all time.  We don't.  If Bo Jackson had not hurt his hip?   If Joe Charboneau had not hurt his back?  If if if.

    Wentz has missed 8 starts out of 64 possible. 

    Comparing him with Bowie, Oden, Jackson and Charboneau is ridiculous. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Wentz has missed 8 starts out of 64 possible. 

    Comparing him with Bowie, Oden, Jackson and Charboneau is ridiculous. 

    Or Yao Ming where Made in China = Stayed on sideline.

  • I guess Baker did not play with his right foot forward in 2018...

    @tour2ma said:

    I guess Baker did not play with his right foot forward in 2018...

    He played with his right foot forward which is the wrong foot, but if he puts his left foot forward will Gorka still love him??

  • I guess Baker did not play with his right foot forward in 2018...

    @tour2ma said:

    I guess Baker did not play with his right foot forward in 2018...

    Hokie Pokie lesson needed.

    After all, that's what its all about.

  • Another Terry Gem. 

    "I’m not going to tell the fans how they should feel about the changes. No football fan base has ever been emotionally abused and traumatized like those who love the orange helmets."

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/dealing-with-firinghiring-fatigue-that-comes-with-being-a-cleveland-browns-fan.html

  • Good read Terry hits on a variety of important topics -but- I liked this comment.


    Q: So what’s your point?

    A: Maybe Stefanski is the next Sean McDermott or Sean McVay. Berry has never run his own draft or free-agent quest. My view is at least give them a chance to mess up before writing them off.

    Q: I know, you want to be fair... blah... blah... blah.

  • As we get closer to the draft these questions are popping up, see link.https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/02/hey-terry-should-the-cleveland-browns-bring-in-a-qb-to-compete-with-baker-mayfield.html

    Terry, should the Cleveland Browns bring in a QB to compete with Baker Mayfield?

    Updated Feb 19, 2020; Posted Feb 19, 2020

    Do the Cleveland Browns need a veteran QB to help Baker Mayfield? Photo by John Kuntz / cleveland.comcleveland.com

    By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

    CLEVELAND, Ohio — A new regime with the Cleveland Browns leads to some new/old questions. A favorite topic? Quarterbacks.

    HEY, TERRY: New coach, new QB. Why not bring in someone to compete with Baker (Mayfield)?

    – Ed Bonchak, Concord Township

    HEY, TERRY: What are the chances of the Browns drafting or signing a QB capable of taking over if Mayfield doesn’t show any progress?

    – Tom Parks, Mayfield Heights

    HEY, ED & TOM: Ed mentioned three names: Marcus Mariota, Case Keenum and Nick Foles. I like the last two with their primary role being a veteran backup. I believe it’s imperative they bring in a viable veteran who helps set the tone for Mayfield in terms of what it means to be a long-term NFL QB. But I don’t want an open QB competition.

    HEY, TERRY: Any inkling the Browns might take a QB in the third round or later?

    – Fritz Johnson, New Philadelphia

    HEY, FRITZ: I’ve not heard anything either way on QB plans in the draft, but I’d be open to taking a QB in the lower rounds....... continued in the link........

  • March Madness time and the MAC, with BG, KSU ......and Akron?  Best in the MAC?    https://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/2020/03/one-slice-of-pizza-welcome-to-tournament-time-for-akron-kent-state-and-the-mid-american-conference.html

    KENT, Ohio – Kent State basketball coach Rob Senderoff sat in his office, staring at a tape of his team’s last game against the University of Akron.

    That was a 68-67 victory over the Zips on Kent’s home court.

    “We are 3-0 against the top two teams in our league,” said Senderoff when we met Wednesday afternoon.

    He was talking about the 23-7 Zips (13-4 in the MAC) and 21-9 Bowling Green (12-5 in the MAC)........

    The Zips start four seniors and Jackson, a 23-year-old junior (eligibility) who is already enrolled in graduate school. That’s why I like their chances to win the MAC tournament, and deliver an upset in the NCAA Tournament......continued in the link......

  • This is a GOOD READ from Terry Pluto during our little extended vacation from sports, check it out.  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/what-kind-of-free-agent-period-will-this-be-for-the-cleveland-browns-how-about-some-trades.html

    What kind of free-agent period will this be for the Cleveland Browns? How about some trades?

    Updated 10:51 AM; Today 6:30 AM.   ~ GOOD READ, SOME TIDBITS ~


    So how did it work out, especially after two years?

    1. The only player acquired in those deals still with the Browns is Landry, who continues to perform at a Pro Bowl level. I often hear the Browns “overpaid” Landry in his five-year, $75-million contract extension ($47 million guaranteed). He plays every game. He’s productive. He likes it here. I’m all for Landry. It’s one of Dorsey’s best moves.

    2. Landry is now entering into the non-guaranteed part of his contract, which runs for three more years. He received $34 million when he signed the extension in 2018, according to overthecap.com.

    Dorsey paid big money for free agent right tackle Chris Hubbard. He never could find a left tackle to replace Joe Thomas. Remember Desmond Harrison and Greg Robinson? Both had their chances. Both also are now out of football. Both were arrested after leaving the Browns.........

    Osweiler had $16 million guaranteed left on his contract. The Browns were using some of their massive salary cap room to take on the contract, knowing they’d probably cut him.

    They were “buying” a second-round pick, and the Sashi Brown front office was criticized by most traditional NFL people for this kind of move. I know some members of the Dorsey front office thought it was too expensive and unwise.

    Dorsey should be ever thankful the trade was made, or the Browns would not have Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb.

    The Browns had the first pick (No. 33) in the second round of 2017. They used it on Austin Corbett. They had Corbett rated above Chubb. With the 35th pick, Dorsey took Chubb. He was criticized for drafting a running back too high, especially a running back with a history of a major knee injury.......

    The Browns still have $67 million in salary-cap space. According to overthecap.com, that’s No. 7 in the NFL. DePodesta and Brown were the driving forces behind the Osweiler deal. Current GM Andrew Berry was part of that front office.

    Taking on “bad contracts” to add draft picks is common in the NBA. The Cavs have often made these type of deals. It makes sense in the NFL.......

    Like I said GOOD READ !

  • This is a GOOD READ from Terry Pluto during our little extended vacation from sports, check it out.  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/what-kind-of-free-agent-period-will-this-be-for-the-cleveland-browns-how-about-some-trades.html

    What kind of free-agent period will this be for the Cleveland Browns? How about some trades?

    Updated 10:51 AM; Today 6:30 AM.   ~ GOOD READ, SOME TIDBITS ~


    So how did it work out, especially after two years?

    1. The only player acquired in those deals still with the Browns is Landry, who continues to perform at a Pro Bowl level. I often hear the Browns “overpaid” Landry in his five-year, $75-million contract extension ($47 million guaranteed). He plays every game. He’s productive. He likes it here. I’m all for Landry. It’s one of Dorsey’s best moves.

    2. Landry is now entering into the non-guaranteed part of his contract, which runs for three more years. He received $34 million when he signed the extension in 2018, according to overthecap.com.

    Dorsey paid big money for free agent right tackle Chris Hubbard. He never could find a left tackle to replace Joe Thomas. Remember Desmond Harrison and Greg Robinson? Both had their chances. Both also are now out of football. Both were arrested after leaving the Browns.........

    Osweiler had $16 million guaranteed left on his contract. The Browns were using some of their massive salary cap room to take on the contract, knowing they’d probably cut him.

    They were “buying” a second-round pick, and the Sashi Brown front office was criticized by most traditional NFL people for this kind of move. I know some members of the Dorsey front office thought it was too expensive and unwise.

    Dorsey should be ever thankful the trade was made, or the Browns would not have Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb.

    The Browns had the first pick (No. 33) in the second round of 2017. They used it on Austin Corbett. They had Corbett rated above Chubb. With the 35th pick, Dorsey took Chubb. He was criticized for drafting a running back too high, especially a running back with a history of a major knee injury.......

    The Browns still have $67 million in salary-cap space. According to overthecap.com, that’s No. 7 in the NFL. DePodesta and Brown were the driving forces behind the Osweiler deal. Current GM Andrew Berry was part of that front office.

    Taking on “bad contracts” to add draft picks is common in the NBA. The Cavs have often made these type of deals. It makes sense in the NFL.......

    Like I said GOOD READ !

    @mjp28 said:

    They were “buying” a second-round pick, and the Sashi Brown front office was criticized by most traditional NFL people for this kind of move. I know some members of the Dorsey front office thought it was too expensive and unwise.

    Dorsey should be ever thankful the trade was made, or the Browns would not have Pro Bowl running back Nick Chubb.

    The Browns had the first pick (No. 33) in the second round of 2017. They used it on Austin Corbett. They had Corbett rated above Chubb. With the 35th pick, Dorsey took Chubb. He was criticized for drafting a running back too high, especially a running back with a history of a major knee injury.......

    "The little Big Deal" I might be a redneck if?😉 the Cleveland media would stop dumping blame on GM's that knew exactly what they were doing... There is No way JD or any GM "Valued  Austin Corbett over Nick Chubb" 

    Fact 1= The Giants drafted RB Saquon Barkley #2... Here's the 1st 5 picks of round 2 in 2018

    33. Brns- G-Austin Corbett

    34. NYG- G-Will Hernandez (rated BPA at G at pick)

    35. Brns.- RB-Nick Chubb (Oswieler pick)

    36. Colts- LB-Darius Leonard*

    37. Colts- G-Braden Smith*

    I can buy, if they want to scream that either D. Leonard* or B.Smith* should have been the right pick at #33... but i ain't buying any GM on the Planet thought the Giants were taking another RB at #34 after already drafting Barkley at #2.. Dorsey played the positioning of pick right..Scouts with Dorsey just picked the wrong guy at pick #33..had nothing to do with who Dorsey valued higher..sorry Pluto, but am not buying that sell job...ever!    

  • Dusted off the Pluto pages.. his stock dropped to page 4... https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/cleveland-browns-scribbles-any-more-big-moves-coming-heres-what-im-hearing.html    Carl Nassib got 3Y/25M..... Ogbah? 2 years for 15M...  am no cap expert ?.. but trading or releasing Vernon by June 1st could save 15.5M cap savings with a *Zero$ dead cap hit? Depo, as the 'find a way guy' it's your turn at the Titanic wheel.. 

  • Dusted off the Pluto pages.. his stock dropped to page 4... https://cleveland.com/browns/2020/03/cleveland-browns-scribbles-any-more-big-moves-coming-heres-what-im-hearing.html    Carl Nassib got 3Y/25M..... Ogbah? 2 years for 15M...  am no cap expert ?.. but trading or releasing Vernon by June 1st could save 15.5M cap savings with a *Zero$ dead cap hit? Depo, as the 'find a way guy' it's your turn at the Titanic wheel.. 

    @gumby73 said:

    his stock dropped to page 4.

    Whose stock dropped?

     With Terry looking for one more splash signing at DE I thought I'd look beyond Griffen, Clowney and (ugh) Golden, but that's for another thread.

  • @gumby73 said:

    his stock dropped to page 4.

    Whose stock dropped?

     With Terry looking for one more splash signing at DE I thought I'd look beyond Griffen, Clowney and (ugh) Golden, but that's for another thread.

    @tour2ma said:

    Whose stock dropped?

    19eG.gif   The Terry Pluto BB topic fell way back to page 4... don't ever let that happen again 😉     

  • Only made it to the middle of page 3 this time... but it's not my job.... it's Steve's...

    Basically Berry is not worrying about which side an OT has played...

    “Tackles are tackles” - scribbling about Cleveland Browns and Andrew Berry’s press conference

    Updated 11:07 AM; Today 10:54 AM

    CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my Cleveland Browns notebook after listening to GM Andrew Berry’s Friday morning conference call:

    1. Assuming the Browns stay at No. 10 in the 2020 NFL Draft, they probably will have a chance to select one of the top tackles projected to go high in the first round. Most scouts put four in that category, but not all have much experience at left tackle. After signing free agent Jack Conklin to play right tackle, the Browns need a left tackle.

    2. That’s why I asked Berry if he was concerned about picking a player high who has had little experience at left tackle. His answer was direct and revealing: “I think the distinction between left tackle and right tackle is really outdated... tackles are tackles.”

    3. In the old days, you took the best athlete on the offensive line and put him at left tackle. He’d lined up against the prime pass rusher. But as Berry mentioned, defenses move their pass rusher around the line of scrimmage.

    4. Berry explained: “I think the two tackle positions, while they are not identical, they’re pretty close.”

    5. What does that mean for the Browns? Many draft experts have Alabama’s Jedrick Wills Jr. rated as the top tackle in the draft. How often has he played left tackle? Never in college, although he did play it in high school.

    6. Does this mean the Browns would take Wills? Or how about Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs, rated as the No. 2 tackle by some draft experts. Watching offensive linemen is not my passion. Nor do I know much about the tackle position. With that said, my favorite in the draft is Wirfs, primarily because he played at Iowa where Kirk Ferentz has a program that grooms NFL linemen.

    7. Wirfs played four college games at left tackle, 29 at right tackle. In his draft guide, The Athletic’s Dane Brugler wrote Wirfs was “considered interchangeable on the left or right sides. He played mostly right tackle because Alaric Jackson was a better left tackle than right tackle.”

    8. The next two players on the list are Louisville’s Mekhi Becton and Georgia’s Andrew Thomas. Both are primarily left tackles. My sense is Berry wants the NFL to know he’s keeping his options open when it comes to tackles in the draft. But he talked about Conklin switching from left tackle in college to right tackle in the pros.

    9. I think Berry’s goal will be to draft the best tackle available... period. All that can change with the acquisition of a veteran left tackle who starts. I’m sure the Browns have lots of data and have studied the left/right tackle debate before Berry delivered his “tackles are tackles” pronouncement.

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/04/tackle-are-tackles-scribbling-about-cleveland-browns-andrew-berrys-press-conference.html

  • ...and I agree with Pluto's final assessment.  Take the GOOD LT at #10 and don't screw around hoping that you can get a guy named Cleveland in the 2nd round.  LT is too important to screw around with.  MHO

  • "But I do know this, something is going on with the Browns and possibly trading down."-TP

    "Bob I got a bad feelin' on this one, alright! I mean I got a bad feelin'!" - scene from the BB the year we dropped down for Coleman.....Or Platoon. Take Ur choice.?

  • I'm quite sure when the final numbers are in this will be TRUE.  Look for plenty of LSU, OHIO STATE, ALA players.

    ....3. That said, there are some pretty good players coming out of the Big Ten, especially a certain school in Columbus. But I can’t disagree with Stefanski about the SEC. Or as GM Andrew Berry said: “These are all good players in arguably the best conference in college football.”....