Skip to content

Getting Rid Of The Kicker

The Browns Board
15 9 699
  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #2

    nahh

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @clevfan4life said:

    nahh

    C'mon man!  You can do better than that.  I can train a bird to do better than that.   Rrrraught, No Thanks.  Rrraught.

    You don't think football is too dependent upon the kicker?  Guys pound each other all game long and some nerd comes in and kicks a FG from 50 yards...

    I'd even be willing to say No FG attempts unless you're at or inside the 20.

  • ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #4

    If you went into the future 25 years and came back telling me not a single rule had changed from now, I would be incredibly happy. Almost every rule change that is made ruins the game a little more IMO. 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #5

    In football 80% of any given team has the job of blowing up their opponent. They’re big dudes who hit weights and are athletic.

    Then there’s roughly 16% of the team that has a similar workout routine, and a similar job, except they are tasked with handling a ball while blowing up other dudes.

    And then there’s kickers. I actually like that such a critical job on a football team is held by dudes who are nothing like the rest of the team. They’re like pets! 

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #6

    pay good kickers and this dumb sht going around this year wouldnt happen

  • Today, the Bull & the Fox did a segment on getting rid of the kicker and various concepts of how to change things.  Anything from No Kicking at all, to Drop Kicks.  

    Here's what I would do:

    You're only allowed one kicker.  He kicks and punts.  He must handle the duties all game.  If someone else has to kick/punt (injury/ding) that player must handle the duties for the rest of the game.

    No more kicking extra points.  1 point for converting from the 2 yard line,  2 points for converting from the 10.

    You CAN kick field goals but the ball must be at or inside the 25 yard line.

    I would still allow kick-offs.....but I could be bribed into eliminating them.

    -------  Your thoughts.......

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @orion said:

    Today, the Bull & the Fox did a segment on getting rid of the kicker and various concepts of how to change things.  Anything from No Kicking at all, to Drop Kicks.  

    Here's what I would do:

    You're only allowed one kicker.  He kicks and punts.  He must handle the duties all game.  If someone else has to kick/punt (injury/ding) that player must handle the duties for the rest of the game.

    No more kicking extra points.  1 point for converting from the 2 yard line,  2 points for converting from the 10.

    You CAN kick field goals but the ball must be at or inside the 25 yard line.

    I would still allow kick-offs.....but I could be bribed into eliminating them.

    -------  Your thoughts.......

    Well, if it's too easy to score points- make it harder. We already moved the goal posts back once, and shrunk them. Shrink them again. 

    Unlike pro Basketball which has stubbornly stuck to a 10' basket height. Crowd loves those thunder dunks. Crap, I'm betting 1\2 the guys could still dunk if they raise the basket to 11', it just wouldn't  be automatic anymore. 

  • pay good kickers and this dumb sht going around this year wouldnt happen

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @clevfan4life said:

    pay good kickers and this dumb sht going around this year wouldnt happen

    Crosby had a bad day for GB. Sign him up.?

  • pay good kickers and this dumb sht going around this year wouldnt happen

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @clevfan4life said:

    pay good kickers and this dumb sht going around this year wouldnt happen

    Maybe Jimmy can get one from his new soccer team.  Or perhaps they should call Randy Lerner.

  • @orion said:

    Today, the Bull & the Fox did a segment on getting rid of the kicker and various concepts of how to change things.  Anything from No Kicking at all, to Drop Kicks.  

    Here's what I would do:

    You're only allowed one kicker.  He kicks and punts.  He must handle the duties all game.  If someone else has to kick/punt (injury/ding) that player must handle the duties for the rest of the game.

    No more kicking extra points.  1 point for converting from the 2 yard line,  2 points for converting from the 10.

    You CAN kick field goals but the ball must be at or inside the 25 yard line.

    I would still allow kick-offs.....but I could be bribed into eliminating them.

    -------  Your thoughts.......

    Well, if it's too easy to score points- make it harder. We already moved the goal posts back once, and shrunk them. Shrink them again. 

    Unlike pro Basketball which has stubbornly stuck to a 10' basket height. Crowd loves those thunder dunks. Crap, I'm betting 1\2 the guys could still dunk if they raise the basket to 11', it just wouldn't  be automatic anymore. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @hoorta said:

    Well, if it's too easy to score points- make it harder. We already moved the goal posts back once, and shrunk them. Shrink them again. 

    It's not that I feel it's too easy to get FG  points,  obviously, this season is showing the opposite, I just think it takes a little too much away from the way football was intended.  

    We'd be seeing more 'football' plays from scrimmage.  If you got on the other side of the 50 you might go for more 4th downs because you know the opponent has to drive down to the 20 or 25 yard line in order to score points.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Get rid of the soccer-style kickers, make all kicks straight on. 

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I like the idea of who ever scores the TD must also kick the extra point.

  • I like the idea of who ever scores the TD must also kick the extra point.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @canton-dawg said:

    I like the idea of who ever scores the TD must also kick the extra point.

    Bring back Jim Thorpe and the dropkick.?

  • @canton-dawg said:

    I like the idea of who ever scores the TD must also kick the extra point.

    Bring back Jim Thorpe and the dropkick.?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #14

    @texasag1969 said:

    Bring back Jim Thorpe and the dropkick.?

    Or trade for this little N.O. kicker. ?

  • @canton-dawg said:

    I like the idea of who ever scores the TD must also kick the extra point.

    Bring back Jim Thorpe and the dropkick.?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @texasag1969 said:

    Bring back Jim Thorpe and the dropkick.?

    Doug Flutie