Skip to content

***Official Browns Vs. Chargers Game Day Thread***

The Browns Board
204 40 4.6k 1
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    My thoughts -

    our OC runs too often on second down. Not sure what is up with that.

    our wr's available couldn't get open fer nothin most of the time.

    when Baker tweaked whatever it was, he was a sitting duck even worse than when all the wr's were covered.

    That absolutely flagrant illegal motion penalty by the LT? how in the hades can that NOT be called ???

    Does anybody here think if that was the Browns LT ...it would have been a no-call?

    Anyways, the Browns simply did NOT match up well with Seattle. Especially in the trenches. It is what it is - just a bad game. The Browns are not good enough to overcome bad matchups personnel-wise.

    they will bounce back.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    This Patriots/Chiefs game is nuts. 

    Tied at 40 with 3 minutes left. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    NE (-3) 43 KC 40 final, a big push......but good game.

  • @tinythinker said:

    Everything was flat for the Browns.

    It really was...

    Today we were out-coached and outplayed.

    And injury was added to insult. We are going to miss Joe in the middle.

    R Realplayer wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    It really was...

    Today we were out-coached and outplayed.

    And injury was added to insult. We are going to miss Joe in the middle.

    Joe sucks. The LB core is now the eyesore of the Browns D. Last year it was the secondary. 

  • My thoughts -

    our OC runs too often on second down. Not sure what is up with that.

    our wr's available couldn't get open fer nothin most of the time.

    when Baker tweaked whatever it was, he was a sitting duck even worse than when all the wr's were covered.

    That absolutely flagrant illegal motion penalty by the LT? how in the hades can that NOT be called ???

    Does anybody here think if that was the Browns LT ...it would have been a no-call?

    Anyways, the Browns simply did NOT match up well with Seattle. Especially in the trenches. It is what it is - just a bad game. The Browns are not good enough to overcome bad matchups personnel-wise.

    they will bounce back.

    R Realplayer wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    My thoughts -

    our OC runs too often on second down. Not sure what is up with that.

    our wr's available couldn't get open fer nothin most of the time.

    when Baker tweaked whatever it was, he was a sitting duck even worse than when all the wr's were covered.

    That absolutely flagrant illegal motion penalty by the LT? how in the hades can that NOT be called ???

    Does anybody here think if that was the Browns LT ...it would have been a no-call?

    Anyways, the Browns simply did NOT match up well with Seattle. Especially in the trenches. It is what it is - just a bad game. The Browns are not good enough to overcome bad matchups personnel-wise.

    they will bounce back.

    I hope Dorsey gets active at the trade deadline. 

  • Out-schemed today. Those end arounds were left the defense exposed bad, Gregg Williams had no answers.

    It’s clearly this defense has a big weakness, that being the outside run. So much space and huge lanes to the outside. 

    Offense came out, had one good play to Njoku, then the defense committed an offsides, so 1st and 5.

    Next, Instead of trying to establish the run, Haley? calls a play out of shotgun which had all the receivers all run a 5 yard hook route. Baker Mayfield is NOT Drew Brees.

    To come out on the second play and call that BS, which resulted in an incomplete pass. Then guesss what? We ran for 0 yards on the next play. Leaving a predictable 3rd and 5 pass. I drove up to Ohio with fam to be disappointed in an offensive playcall on the second play.

    We CANNOT beat a winning team like this.

    Nick Chubb had a run where he literally was gliding by the defense, and it came back. To a holding call on a receiver(Ratley I think). Guess what, only 3 rushes: 25 yards[8.3 yards a carry], despite that nice run coming back. 

    And in regards to the holding, did anyone see a hold on that play? That was one of 2 terrible calls that pop out to me.

    What. The. Actual. Fu%#.

    Baker, in a less than ideal situation, played ok. The first interception right out of halftime, is a throw we all know he’d like to have back.

    But I don’t blame him, he was trying to make something happen when the refs and offensive coordinators weren’t doing a lot to keep the game manageable. 

    I think somebody’s gotta go and I hope it’s Haley. I am tired of the approach. 

    I don’t like Williams very much at this point either but I think it’s less in his control then it is for Haley.

    R Realplayer wrote on last edited by Realplayer

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Out-schemed today. Those end arounds were left the defense exposed bad, Gregg Williams had no answers.

    It’s clearly this defense has a big weakness, that being the outside run. So much space and huge lanes to the outside. 

    Offense came out, had one good play to Njoku, then the defense committed an offsides, so 1st and 5.

    Next, Instead of trying to establish the run, Haley? calls a play out of shotgun which had all the receivers all run a 5 yard hook route. Baker Mayfield is NOT Drew Brees.

    To come out on the second play and call that BS, which resulted in an incomplete pass. Then guesss what? We ran for 0 yards on the next play. Leaving a predictable 3rd and 5 pass. I drove up to Ohio with fam to be disappointed in an offensive playcall on the second play.

    We CANNOT beat a winning team like this.

    Nick Chubb had a run where he literally was gliding by the defense, and it came back. To a holding call on a receiver(Ratley I think). Guess what, only 3 rushes: 25 yards[8.3 yards a carry], despite that nice run coming back. 

    And in regards to the holding, did anyone see a hold on that play? That was one of 2 terrible calls that pop out to me.

    What. The. Actual. Fu%#.

    Baker, in a less than ideal situation, played ok. The first interception right out of halftime, is a throw we all know he’d like to have back.

    But I don’t blame him, he was trying to make something happen when the refs and offensive coordinators weren’t doing a lot to keep the game manageable. 

    I think somebody’s gotta go and I hope it’s Haley. I am tired of the approach. 

    I don’t like Williams very much at this point either but I think it’s less in his control then it is for Haley.

    They need LBs. Collins doesn't always play hard. Schobert gets blocked and gets tackles yards down the field instead of in the backfield. Nobody can cover sideline to sideline. 

    I'd say Williams. He's been in CLE longer. He needs more talent to run the scheme he runs. He doesn't seem to adapt to his scheme to the talent he has now. All the blitzing teams have caught on and he still blitz. Guys like Collins and Ojunobi should be benched for their effort. You can't win in the NFL if you can't stop the run.

    The offense looked better during garbage time when they actually used Duke. Nice TD catch by Njoku.

  • Out-schemed today. Those end arounds were left the defense exposed bad, Gregg Williams had no answers.

    It’s clearly this defense has a big weakness, that being the outside run. So much space and huge lanes to the outside. 

    Offense came out, had one good play to Njoku, then the defense committed an offsides, so 1st and 5.

    Next, Instead of trying to establish the run, Haley? calls a play out of shotgun which had all the receivers all run a 5 yard hook route. Baker Mayfield is NOT Drew Brees.

    To come out on the second play and call that BS, which resulted in an incomplete pass. Then guesss what? We ran for 0 yards on the next play. Leaving a predictable 3rd and 5 pass. I drove up to Ohio with fam to be disappointed in an offensive playcall on the second play.

    We CANNOT beat a winning team like this.

    Nick Chubb had a run where he literally was gliding by the defense, and it came back. To a holding call on a receiver(Ratley I think). Guess what, only 3 rushes: 25 yards[8.3 yards a carry], despite that nice run coming back. 

    And in regards to the holding, did anyone see a hold on that play? That was one of 2 terrible calls that pop out to me.

    What. The. Actual. Fu%#.

    Baker, in a less than ideal situation, played ok. The first interception right out of halftime, is a throw we all know he’d like to have back.

    But I don’t blame him, he was trying to make something happen when the refs and offensive coordinators weren’t doing a lot to keep the game manageable. 

    I think somebody’s gotta go and I hope it’s Haley. I am tired of the approach. 

    I don’t like Williams very much at this point either but I think it’s less in his control then it is for Haley.

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Out-schemed today. Those end arounds were left the defense exposed bad, Gregg Williams had no answers.

    It’s clearly this defense has a big weakness, that being the outside run. So much space and huge lanes to the outside. 

    Offense came out, had one good play to Njoku, then the defense committed an offsides, so 1st and 5.

    Next, Instead of trying to establish the run, Haley? calls a play out of shotgun which had all the receivers all run a 5 yard hook route. Baker Mayfield is NOT Drew Brees.

    To come out on the second play and call that BS, which resulted in an incomplete pass. Then guesss what? We ran for 0 yards on the next play. Leaving a predictable 3rd and 5 pass. I drove up to Ohio with fam to be disappointed in an offensive playcall on the second play.

    We CANNOT beat a winning team like this.

    Nick Chubb had a run where he literally was gliding by the defense, and it came back. To a holding call on a receiver(Ratley I think). Guess what, only 3 rushes: 25 yards[8.3 yards a carry], despite that nice run coming back. 

    And in regards to the holding, did anyone see a hold on that play? That was one of 2 terrible calls that pop out to me.

    What. The. Actual. Fu%#.

    Baker, in a less than ideal situation, played ok. The first interception right out of halftime, is a throw we all know he’d like to have back.

    But I don’t blame him, he was trying to make something happen when the refs and offensive coordinators weren’t doing a lot to keep the game manageable. 

    I think somebody’s gotta go and I hope it’s Haley. I am tired of the approach. 

    I don’t like Williams very much at this point either but I think it’s less in his control then it is for Haley.

    The holding call on Ratley was very iffy, even the announcer was like, "Uhhhhh." 

    I'm just so tired of the cute crap. 1st and 5, pound the rock. Not only that, but we had 3rd and 2, deep in Bolts' territory. We tried a pass. Go for it on 4th. Another not close pass, turned over on downs. If you're going to go for it, why not run on 3RD AND 4TH DOWN?! AHHHHHH! 

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by

    Is Haley missed in the stool city? Not a bit. Is Williams missed in LA? Nope. If Cleveland had not asked, would they be working in the NFL this year? Doubt it. Kinda like the Ryan brothers except they never stopped here.  And our head coach????? We were offsides on the opening kick.  Our new GM has done pretty good on acquiring talent on the field. We should let him revamp this horrid, no history, no win coaching staff top to bottom the next off-season. 

  • Is Haley missed in the stool city? Not a bit. Is Williams missed in LA? Nope. If Cleveland had not asked, would they be working in the NFL this year? Doubt it. Kinda like the Ryan brothers except they never stopped here.  And our head coach????? We were offsides on the opening kick.  Our new GM has done pretty good on acquiring talent on the field. We should let him revamp this horrid, no history, no win coaching staff top to bottom the next off-season. 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Is Haley missed in the stool city? Not a bit. Is Williams missed in LA? Nope. If Cleveland had not asked, would they be working in the NFL this year? Doubt it. Kinda like the Ryan brothers except they never stopped here.  And our head coach????? We were offsides on the opening kick.  Our new GM has done pretty good on acquiring talent on the field. We should let him revamp this horrid, no history, no win coaching staff top to bottom the next off-season. 

    Oh man, l really don’t wanna see a full blown coaching staff demolition derby. 

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Is Haley missed in the stool city? Not a bit. Is Williams missed in LA? Nope. If Cleveland had not asked, would they be working in the NFL this year? Doubt it. Kinda like the Ryan brothers except they never stopped here.  And our head coach????? We were offsides on the opening kick.  Our new GM has done pretty good on acquiring talent on the field. We should let him revamp this horrid, no history, no win coaching staff top to bottom the next off-season. 

    Oh man, l really don’t wanna see a full blown coaching staff demolition derby. 

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by flyingfooldoug

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Oh man, l really don’t wanna see a full blown coaching staff demolition derby. 

    Got our clocks cleaned by a newer staff

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Oh man, l really don’t wanna see a full blown coaching staff demolition derby. 

    Got our clocks cleaned by a newer staff

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Got our clocks cleaned by a rookie staff

    I know, and credit to them. I think for a defensive game plan the Chargers just took good notes from when we played the Ravens. Crash the tackles and keep Baker in the pocket. They just maybe tweaked it and executed better. 

    As far as our defensive game plan, l’m at a loss as to how bad we were stopping the run, but on some of those long passes Rivers made we had DBs in position, they just didn’t execute. 

    And then the story played out like a lot of games last year. Down early and relying on the pass to catch up, and it didn’t work.

    Will be interesting to see how the coaching staff responds. 

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Got our clocks cleaned by a rookie staff

    I know, and credit to them. I think for a defensive game plan the Chargers just took good notes from when we played the Ravens. Crash the tackles and keep Baker in the pocket. They just maybe tweaked it and executed better. 

    As far as our defensive game plan, l’m at a loss as to how bad we were stopping the run, but on some of those long passes Rivers made we had DBs in position, they just didn’t execute. 

    And then the story played out like a lot of games last year. Down early and relying on the pass to catch up, and it didn’t work.

    Will be interesting to see how the coaching staff responds. 

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I know, and credit to them. I think for a defensive game plan the Chargers just took good notes from when we played the Ravens. Crash the tackles and keep Baker in the pocket. They just maybe tweaked it and executed better. 

    As far as our defensive game plan, l’m at a loss as to how bad we were stopping the run, but on some of those long passes Rivers made we had DBs in position, they just didn’t execute. 

    And then the story played out like a lot of games last year. Down early and relying on the pass to catch up, and it didn’t work.

    Will be interesting to see how the coaching staff responds. 

    Why doesn't our staff EVER do similar?  Adjustments?  What? How? Who? Sad and ongoing

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by

    Look at how the Rams broke out when they finally had the balls to fire Fisher.

    What does a 3-34-1 team have to be afraid of firing coaches for?! 

    Hue can’t gameplan, can’t manage a team and hires terrible coaches all over the three phases of play. 

    “Living in our fears” indeed. 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I know, and credit to them. I think for a defensive game plan the Chargers just took good notes from when we played the Ravens. Crash the tackles and keep Baker in the pocket. They just maybe tweaked it and executed better. 

    As far as our defensive game plan, l’m at a loss as to how bad we were stopping the run, but on some of those long passes Rivers made we had DBs in position, they just didn’t execute. 

    And then the story played out like a lot of games last year. Down early and relying on the pass to catch up, and it didn’t work.

    Will be interesting to see how the coaching staff responds. 

    Why doesn't our staff EVER do similar?  Adjustments?  What? How? Who? Sad and ongoing

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Why doesn't our staff EVER do similar?  Adjustments?  What? How? Who? Sad and ongoing

    You’re not wrong. They definitely do need to do a better job of adjusting and adapting. If they can’t or won’t, then sure, make some changes. I’d rather not see a wholesale change though with new coaches implementing new schemes and new “get to know yas” and new figuring out who does what and how well, etc. 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Out-schemed today. Those end arounds were left the defense exposed bad, Gregg Williams had no answers.

    It’s clearly this defense has a big weakness, that being the outside run. So much space and huge lanes to the outside. 

    Offense came out, had one good play to Njoku, then the defense committed an offsides, so 1st and 5.

    Next, Instead of trying to establish the run, Haley? calls a play out of shotgun which had all the receivers all run a 5 yard hook route. Baker Mayfield is NOT Drew Brees.

    To come out on the second play and call that BS, which resulted in an incomplete pass. Then guesss what? We ran for 0 yards on the next play. Leaving a predictable 3rd and 5 pass. I drove up to Ohio with fam to be disappointed in an offensive playcall on the second play.

    We CANNOT beat a winning team like this.

    Nick Chubb had a run where he literally was gliding by the defense, and it came back. To a holding call on a receiver(Ratley I think). Guess what, only 3 rushes: 25 yards[8.3 yards a carry], despite that nice run coming back. 

    And in regards to the holding, did anyone see a hold on that play? That was one of 2 terrible calls that pop out to me.

    What. The. Actual. Fu%#.

    Baker, in a less than ideal situation, played ok. The first interception right out of halftime, is a throw we all know he’d like to have back.

    But I don’t blame him, he was trying to make something happen when the refs and offensive coordinators weren’t doing a lot to keep the game manageable. 

    I think somebody’s gotta go and I hope it’s Haley. I am tired of the approach. 

    I don’t like Williams very much at this point either but I think it’s less in his control then it is for Haley.

    The holding call on Ratley was very iffy, even the announcer was like, "Uhhhhh." 

    I'm just so tired of the cute crap. 1st and 5, pound the rock. Not only that, but we had 3rd and 2, deep in Bolts' territory. We tried a pass. Go for it on 4th. Another not close pass, turned over on downs. If you're going to go for it, why not run on 3RD AND 4TH DOWN?! AHHHHHH! 

    CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS

    @jiggins7919 said:

    The holding call on Ratley was very iffy, even the announcer was like, "Uhhhhh." 

    I'm just so tired of the cute crap. 1st and 5, pound the rock. Not only that, but we had 3rd and 2, deep in Bolts' territory. We tried a pass. Go for it on 4th. Another not close pass, turned over on downs. If you're going to go for it, why not run on 3RD AND 4TH DOWN?! AHHHHHH! 

    TBH, I think the pass heavy approach just isn’t justifiable.

    im not even mad that we didn’t run on that first and 5, that playcall of 4 button hooks at the sticks is what gets me. I just would never call that play with our personnel really. Just a playcall that had “pick 6” written all over it.

    On the 3rd and 4th and 2, all I can say, those are valuable reps for a young qb like Baker to learn from. I think he had someone moderately open on the 4th down. 

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    Why doesn't our staff EVER do similar?  Adjustments?  What? How? Who? Sad and ongoing

    You’re not wrong. They definitely do need to do a better job of adjusting and adapting. If they can’t or won’t, then sure, make some changes. I’d rather not see a wholesale change though with new coaches implementing new schemes and new “get to know yas” and new figuring out who does what and how well, etc. 

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by

    @ibleedbrown said:

    You’re not wrong. They definitely do need to do a better job of adjusting and adapting. If they can’t or won’t, then sure, make some changes. I’d rather not see a wholesale change though with new coaches implementing new schemes and new “get to know yas” and new figuring out who does what and how well, etc. 

    I figure they have this season to show some wisdom in the coaching Dept.  Whether or not there are wholesale changes made should be up to Dorsey. Hell, he's shown more wisdom than the past twenty five years worth of GMs combined. 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Out-schemed today. Those end arounds were left the defense exposed bad, Gregg Williams had no answers.

    It’s clearly this defense has a big weakness, that being the outside run. So much space and huge lanes to the outside. 

    Offense came out, had one good play to Njoku, then the defense committed an offsides, so 1st and 5.

    Next, Instead of trying to establish the run, Haley? calls a play out of shotgun which had all the receivers all run a 5 yard hook route. Baker Mayfield is NOT Drew Brees.

    To come out on the second play and call that BS, which resulted in an incomplete pass. Then guesss what? We ran for 0 yards on the next play. Leaving a predictable 3rd and 5 pass. I drove up to Ohio with fam to be disappointed in an offensive playcall on the second play.

    We CANNOT beat a winning team like this.

    Nick Chubb had a run where he literally was gliding by the defense, and it came back. To a holding call on a receiver(Ratley I think). Guess what, only 3 rushes: 25 yards[8.3 yards a carry], despite that nice run coming back. 

    And in regards to the holding, did anyone see a hold on that play? That was one of 2 terrible calls that pop out to me.

    What. The. Actual. Fu%#.

    Baker, in a less than ideal situation, played ok. The first interception right out of halftime, is a throw we all know he’d like to have back.

    But I don’t blame him, he was trying to make something happen when the refs and offensive coordinators weren’t doing a lot to keep the game manageable. 

    I think somebody’s gotta go and I hope it’s Haley. I am tired of the approach. 

    I don’t like Williams very much at this point either but I think it’s less in his control then it is for Haley.

    They need LBs. Collins doesn't always play hard. Schobert gets blocked and gets tackles yards down the field instead of in the backfield. Nobody can cover sideline to sideline. 

    I'd say Williams. He's been in CLE longer. He needs more talent to run the scheme he runs. He doesn't seem to adapt to his scheme to the talent he has now. All the blitzing teams have caught on and he still blitz. Guys like Collins and Ojunobi should be benched for their effort. You can't win in the NFL if you can't stop the run.

    The offense looked better during garbage time when they actually used Duke. Nice TD catch by Njoku.

    CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by

    @realplayer said:

    They need LBs. Collins doesn't always play hard. Schobert gets blocked and gets tackles yards down the field instead of in the backfield. Nobody can cover sideline to sideline. 

    I'd say Williams. He's been in CLE longer. He needs more talent to run the scheme he runs. He doesn't seem to adapt to his scheme to the talent he has now. All the blitzing teams have caught on and he still blitz. Guys like Collins and Ojunobi should be benched for their effort. You can't win in the NFL if you can't stop the run.

    The offense looked better during garbage time when they actually used Duke. Nice TD catch by Njoku.

    I think it starts up front with the DLine, which didn’t show up, and was obliterated by those end arounds, which btw, was probably some kind of presnap adjustment installed in their offense. Because I’d seriously doubt they just kept calling an “end-around” like that. Phillip Rivers studies tape everyday in his van on the way to practice, and it showed. We looked like a college team against the big boys.

    I do agree, that for this current defense to work, we’d need some kind of stud LB who is unblockable and can run a 4.2 40 lol

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    The holding call on Ratley was very iffy, even the announcer was like, "Uhhhhh." 

    I'm just so tired of the cute crap. 1st and 5, pound the rock. Not only that, but we had 3rd and 2, deep in Bolts' territory. We tried a pass. Go for it on 4th. Another not close pass, turned over on downs. If you're going to go for it, why not run on 3RD AND 4TH DOWN?! AHHHHHH! 

    TBH, I think the pass heavy approach just isn’t justifiable.

    im not even mad that we didn’t run on that first and 5, that playcall of 4 button hooks at the sticks is what gets me. I just would never call that play with our personnel really. Just a playcall that had “pick 6” written all over it.

    On the 3rd and 4th and 2, all I can say, those are valuable reps for a young qb like Baker to learn from. I think he had someone moderately open on the 4th down. 

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    TBH, I think the pass heavy approach just isn’t justifiable.

    im not even mad that we didn’t run on that first and 5, that playcall of 4 button hooks at the sticks is what gets me. I just would never call that play with our personnel really. Just a playcall that had “pick 6” written all over it.

    On the 3rd and 4th and 2, all I can say, those are valuable reps for a young qb like Baker to learn from. I think he had someone moderately open on the 4th down. 

    Yeah, I guess that's the way to look at it.  As one of our beat writers said, "The Cleveland defense picked a terrible day NOT to stop anybody."

    We're going to need our defense to have a short memory because Tampa isn't a great team, but they can certainly score points.  And you can bet your azz they're looking at our game thinking, "This is where we right the ship."  I fully expect to see a better performance.  Not just because it's difficult to conjure up a vision of a WORSE game, but because our pride will be called into question.  We're not getting Higgins back this week (from what I understand), so we're going to need better playcalling AND WR performance.  

    If somebody were to ask me to name SOMETHING positive, I guess I'd say the Njoku fade reception was nice.  Again, I'm not exactly sure WHY we ran that play, but it looked fluid and it looked practiced.  I don't know if you remember last year, but we ran the fade approximately 413 times, and didn't score ONCE with Kizer at the helm.  I think Hogan completed one, but that's it.  We had first and goal at the 1, and we tried Hyde ONCE, and then we went to the fade.  I absolutely HATE THAT.  Yes, it worked, but I want to see 4 running plays if need be.  I don't want to see cute reverses, I don't want to see shovel passes, I want to see us line up with POWER and slam it in.  

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    While the shovel pass has been used down at the goal line with success, I agree with the gist that Haley gets too cute in short yardage situations. 

    Carlos Hyde and Nick Chubb aren't exactly Eric Metcalf. 

  • While the shovel pass has been used down at the goal line with success, I agree with the gist that Haley gets too cute in short yardage situations. 

    Carlos Hyde and Nick Chubb aren't exactly Eric Metcalf. 

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    While the shovel pass has been used down at the goal line with success, I agree with the gist that Haley gets too cute in short yardage situations. 

    Carlos Hyde and Nick Chubb aren't exactly Eric Metcalf. 

    I actually LIKE the shovel pass play, and it appeared as if it could've worked but our timing was all flubbed up.  Heck, we actually scored LAST year using that play, so you know it can't be TOO hard to execute, LOL.  My biggest problem with the shovel pass is we only run it from the 1 yard line, which is where I don't WANT to run it.  Why not try it on 1st and ten?  On 2nd down?  It's a very safe play since it's a forward pass, so I don't understand the inclination to only try it near the goal line, when defenses are probably waiting for it.  I think it's an excellent way to get Duke additional touches, and we should figure out ways to run it from different formations.  You know what play I really liked from last week?  The direct snap to Duke.  Yet another way to get him touches and keep the defense off balance.  Not sure why we didn't run it at least once yesterday.  Maybe we did and I missed it.  

    I'm just a little sad from the game, ya know?  Last week I literally popped out of bed on Monday morning and couldn't wait to read all the fun articles about our team, and watch the various Youtube videos about our performance.  And while it's fair to say I didn't expect us to win yesterday, I also didn't expect to witness a game like THAT.  I don't even remember a time when I stood up and cheered, or ran over to my wife for a high-five, or even really got into it.  It was just....BLAH.  

    I know we aren't a complete team, heck, everyone knows that, but I certainly hope we get it together for a better performance next week.  I don't have unrealistic expectations about our team, but I do expect them to compete and provide a somewhat enjoyable product.  If I was a betting man, I'd put money on our team coming out with fire this Sunday.  And here's something else:  If we don't figure out a way to score some DAM POINTS in the first quarter of games, it's going to be a very long year indeed.  I'm so sick and tired of the first quarter punt-fest, I could puke.  We have scored a total of SIX POINTS in the first quarter through 6 games.  How the heck is that even possible?  I know most coaches "script plays" for the first drive or two, but you know what?  Scratch that crap.  Whatever we're doing is obviously not working.  What makes it especially painful is the wonderful field position we managed to screw up Sunday.  Last week it seemed like every drive started at our freaking 4 yard line, and this week we somehow got some good returns and had half a field (or less) to go for a TD.  What hurts the worst is that this debacle happened in front of the home crowd.  Just when they were thinking the team had a true "home field advantage" and we were getting better.  

    Watch the film, learn from the mistakes, and rinse this atrocity off.  Big game this Sunday, and it's definitely winnable.  Oh, and if we get a chance to connect on a deep TD, I better see our WR make every effort to catch the dang ball.  I know those two TD chances were extremely difficult, but that's what we need if we're going to compete.