Skip to content

FIRST AID/ EMERGENCY/ SURVIVAL KIT, a very unusual combo for less than $24.

Barber Shop Talk
23 4 773
  • I used to get on people going through Infantry school with me that you can't just go tromping along with no sound or sight discipline. Most had no idea what I was talking about, so I'd just say to them try to sneak up within a few yards of a deer without them seeing or hearing you. Only then can you say you have good sound and sight discipline in the way you move.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @texasag1969 said:

    I used to get on people going through Infantry school with me that you can't just go tromping along with no sound or sight discipline. Most had no idea what I was talking about, so I'd just say to them try to sneak up within a few yards of a deer without them seeing or hearing you. Only then can you say you have good sound and sight discipline in the way you move.

    I was enlisted in the Army, so I went thru infantry school at Ft. Polk, LA.  Where did you go  thru, Benning?

  • I used to get on people going through Infantry school with me that you can't just go tromping along with no sound or sight discipline. Most had no idea what I was talking about, so I'd just say to them try to sneak up within a few yards of a deer without them seeing or hearing you. Only then can you say you have good sound and sight discipline in the way you move.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @texasag1969 said:

    I used to get on people going through Infantry school with me that you can't just go tromping along with no sound or sight discipline. Most had no idea what I was talking about, so I'd just say to them try to sneak up within a few yards of a deer without them seeing or hearing you. Only then can you say you have good sound and sight discipline in the way you move.

      I swear I have malaria instead of just a cold. lol.

       I should figure out how to post some pictures I've taken - of squirrels - one of em was heading down a tree and stopped about ten feet above my head, and the pictures of deer 20 yards away. You move your arm slowly one inch, and the deer starts watching you intently. lol

    My favorite pic is one where I sat out in the woods, and a Great Horned Owl was ten feet above me on a branch. I sent it to Wildlife, and they confirmed it. It was a young one, old enough to fly.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I used to get on people going through Infantry school with me that you can't just go tromping along with no sound or sight discipline. Most had no idea what I was talking about, so I'd just say to them try to sneak up within a few yards of a deer without them seeing or hearing you. Only then can you say you have good sound and sight discipline in the way you move.

    I was enlisted in the Army, so I went thru infantry school at Ft. Polk, LA.  Where did you go  thru, Benning?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #16

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I was enlisted in the Army, so I went thru infantry school at Ft. Polk, LA.  Where did you go  thru, Benning?

    Yes, Ft. Benning is where they do Infantry Officers Basic. Irony of ironies I was near the end of that course when the first draft lottery took place and my number was 334.? The training was staffed by Vietnam veterans, both officers and NCO's so it was excellent. They were hard on us because they were dedicated to keeping us alive with all the experience they could jam in our heads in a short period of time. I listened and I used what they had to say on many an occasion.

    @calfoxwc said:

      I swear I have malaria instead of just a cold. lol.

       I should figure out how to post some pictures I've taken - of squirrels - one of em was heading down a tree and stopped about ten feet above my head, and the pictures of deer 20 yards away. You move your arm slowly one inch, and the deer starts watching you intently. lol

    My favorite pic is one where I sat out in the woods, and a Great Horned Owl was ten feet above me on a branch. I sent it to Wildlife, and they confirmed it. It was a young one, old enough to fly.

    While sitting up in a tree with a recurve bow and a ton of camo on in Wyoming, I had a small bird land on a branch about a foot in front of my face. I just watched him for a bit and then finally blinked and off he flew. I can't remember now what kind of bird he was, but I made an impression. Too bad they didn't have cell phone video invented yet when later that morning the half-naked woman came down the trail towards me. LOL!

    I took a couple of closeups of a buck with a decent rack (about 10 ft. away) and an good sized bull elk (about 20-30 ft. away) last month in Colorado. If I can ever figure out how to get it off my cell phone I'll post them here. Last time I had someone assist me, but somehow I'm screwing it up on my own. I share it to an email but it's just not taking. Maybe too much data at once. And I have a really great panorama video with the sound of the upper Colorado and another with the sound of the quaking aspen in full leaf change. Sooner or later someone smarter than me can help me out with it.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Tips for a car trunk plastic tool box, I got a relatively cheap plastic tool box (quiet), good snap closer, buy a few cheap dollar store or used screwdrivers,  wrenches, socket set, tape measure, etc. tools to put in it. Get various rolls of tape, duct tape, friction tape (hoses), clamps, flashlights, small first aid kit, reflective tape, hammers, rubber mallot, (cheap) channelocks, nails, screws in small bottles, etc.......use your imagination.

    Stuff the box with rags or shop towels for use and to sound proof the whole box. It comes in handy for roadside emergencies, picnics, visiting people with NO TOOLS you know the type. Over the years it's come in real handy.  

    BE PREPARED!  😉

    Plus a bottle of Ven rum.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Plus a bottle of Ven rum.

    Hey a small bottle or two of spirits "for medicinal purposes" was a standard practice even during the old wild west times.

    A splash of booze to clean a wound did the job......and then you jumped out of your chair WOW!

    When I was first was looking for my old oak rolltop desk a guy in a woodworking shop showed me an authentic old General Store Postman's rolltop desk with all of the many, many, many hidden compartments for stamps, cash, all the mail cubby holes, the slot in the rolltop when locked closed for incoming mail when nobody was there and the lock. He also showed where a hidden side panel where the postman kept his booze stash.

    I absolutely loved it -but- it weighed a real TON and cost TWO TONS.  I got a slightly smaller version and love it......minus the booze stash. 

    BE PREPARED!

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I used to get on people going through Infantry school with me that you can't just go tromping along with no sound or sight discipline. Most had no idea what I was talking about, so I'd just say to them try to sneak up within a few yards of a deer without them seeing or hearing you. Only then can you say you have good sound and sight discipline in the way you move.

      I swear I have malaria instead of just a cold. lol.

       I should figure out how to post some pictures I've taken - of squirrels - one of em was heading down a tree and stopped about ten feet above my head, and the pictures of deer 20 yards away. You move your arm slowly one inch, and the deer starts watching you intently. lol

    My favorite pic is one where I sat out in the woods, and a Great Horned Owl was ten feet above me on a branch. I sent it to Wildlife, and they confirmed it. It was a young one, old enough to fly.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @calfoxwc said:

      I swear I have malaria instead of just a cold. lol.

       I should figure out how to post some pictures I've taken - of squirrels - one of em was heading down a tree and stopped about ten feet above my head, and the pictures of deer 20 yards away. You move your arm slowly one inch, and the deer starts watching you intently. lol

    My favorite pic is one where I sat out in the woods, and a Great Horned Owl was ten feet above me on a branch. I sent it to Wildlife, and they confirmed it. It was a young one, old enough to fly.

    My late father-in-law got malaria when he was a master seargent in those hell holes in the Pacific during WWII, He Passed away at 82 in 2002 it followed him his whole life.

    We were maintenance foremen at the mill, I remember the brutal winters fixing stuff outside in zero degree weather and he had four layers of clothes and then started the sweats again. Great guy from the greatest generation.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Found this Aussie narrated vid from youtube on top 10 survival kits.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    All you really need is the modern day equivalent to this guy with you.  Or cal and me. LOL! ?

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I swear the older I get the more I think of my younger days and I'll be 69 in 2019. Great experiences!

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #22

    "you're a year older than me, you're a year older than me" lol

  • I swear the older I get the more I think of my younger days and I'll be 69 in 2019. Great experiences!

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @mjp28 said:

    I swear the older I get the more I think of my younger days and I'll be 69 in 2019. Great experiences!

    @calfoxwc said:

    "you're a year older than me, you're a year older than me" lol

    Sneaking up on 72 soon.

    And the older I get, the better I was.?