As Cleveland Browns fans...
-
I see this season as a possible analogy to the Browns 1984 season, where the Browns were basically going nowhere with their "nice guy....probably in over his head coach". Yes, I think that is what Sam was. But they got him out of there, and hired a guy with a tougher attitude and a tougher mindset. Plus they went and got them a young franchise QB....and then went on to win like 4 division titles in a row, and went to 3 AFC title games.
Now the question is: who can be this team's next Marty. The direct analogy would say Greg Williams. Not sure about that...but maybe.
Now the question is: who can be this team's next Marty. The direct analogy would say Greg Williams. Not sure about that...but maybe.
I want a head coach that is more than a very good regular season head coach whose teams continually Sheet the bed in the playoffs.
-
Now the question is: who can be this team's next Marty. The direct analogy would say Greg Williams. Not sure about that...but maybe.
I want a head coach that is more than a very good regular season head coach whose teams continually Sheet the bed in the playoffs.
I want a head coach that is more than a very good regular season head coach whose teams continually Sheet the bed in the playoffs.
NSS. But who would that be
-
Now the question is: who can be this team's next Marty. The direct analogy would say Greg Williams. Not sure about that...but maybe.
I want a head coach that is more than a very good regular season head coach whose teams continually Sheet the bed in the playoffs.
I want a head coach that is more than a very good regular season head coach whose teams continually Sheet the bed in the playoffs.
I'd like to have the opportunity to worry about shitting the bed in the playoffs.
-
I want a head coach that is more than a very good regular season head coach whose teams continually Sheet the bed in the playoffs.
NSS. But who would that be
NSS. But who would that be
That's the million dollar question, isn't it?
I'm sure that will be hotly debated come New Year's and beyond on here.
-
I want a head coach that is more than a very good regular season head coach whose teams continually Sheet the bed in the playoffs.
I'd like to have the opportunity to worry about shitting the bed in the playoffs.
-
It would had been interesting if there had been message boards back then with Marty's defenses that always seemed to fold at crunch time of playoff games. It would have been rather testy.
In reality that only ever happened in one game the Drive game. It wasn’t really happening any other time.
-
I see this season as a possible analogy to the Browns 1984 season, where the Browns were basically going nowhere with their "nice guy....probably in over his head coach". Yes, I think that is what Sam was. But they got him out of there, and hired a guy with a tougher attitude and a tougher mindset. Plus they went and got them a young franchise QB....and then went on to win like 4 division titles in a row, and went to 3 AFC title games.
Now the question is: who can be this team's next Marty. The direct analogy would say Greg Williams. Not sure about that...but maybe.
I see this season as a possible analogy to the Browns 1984 season, where the Browns were basically going nowhere with their "nice guy....probably in over his head coach". Yes, I think that is what Sam was. But they got him out of there, and hired a guy with a tougher attitude and a tougher mindset. Plus they went and got them a young franchise QB....and then went on to win like 4 division titles in a row, and went to 3 AFC title games.
Now the question is: who can be this team's next Marty. The direct analogy would say Greg Williams. Not sure about that...but maybe.
He certainly has Marty's lack of discipline and back-breaking penalty part nailed down.
-
I totally agree and think we should’ve taken the points, but at that point in the game, I can understand why an offensive minded guy would want more than 3 points. It just didn’t make sense because our offense had 0 momentum in the first half.
That’s why he’s the HC, to get questioned for calls like that. And to handle it. Which is what he does relatively well.
Hopefully next time, he takes the points.
He actually doesn't handle it well. He deflects blame onto others, either players or other coaches.
He actually doesn't handle it well. He deflects blame onto others, either players or other coaches.
OC deserves blame if OC makes dumb playcalls, so I agree with his words.
Players make dumb plays, they deserve blame. Like Myles pushing a guy in the back when we could’ve BEAT the Steelers week 1 with a chip shot field goal in OT, Hue probably didn’t even single him out for it.
-
It would had been interesting if there had been message boards back then with Marty's defenses that always seemed to fold at crunch time of playoff games. It would have been rather testy.
In reality that only ever happened in one game the Drive game. It wasn’t really happening any other time.
In reality that only ever happened in one game the Drive game. It wasn’t really happening any other time.
How was the defense the next season in Denver Gip? The one that allowed 38 points?
How about the playoff game vs Miami in '85? Browns had a 21-3 lead, then let Marino march up and down the field at will.
-
I see this season as a possible analogy to the Browns 1984 season, where the Browns were basically going nowhere with their "nice guy....probably in over his head coach". Yes, I think that is what Sam was. But they got him out of there, and hired a guy with a tougher attitude and a tougher mindset. Plus they went and got them a young franchise QB....and then went on to win like 4 division titles in a row, and went to 3 AFC title games.
Now the question is: who can be this team's next Marty. The direct analogy would say Greg Williams. Not sure about that...but maybe.
I see this season as a possible analogy to the Browns 1984 season, where the Browns were basically going nowhere with their "nice guy....probably in over his head coach". Yes, I think that is what Sam was. But they got him out of there, and hired a guy with a tougher attitude and a tougher mindset. Plus they went and got them a young franchise QB....and then went on to win like 4 division titles in a row, and went to 3 AFC title games.
Now the question is: who can be this team's next Marty. The direct analogy would say Greg Williams. Not sure about that...but maybe.
Yes, Sam was a good guy and a smart coach. He did have one thing on Hue though, he won football games. Hue just can’t. Sam couldn’t win the big one but won enough to get there. This dumpster of a head coach is just a loser in all regards.
I don’t see next years head coach on the team now. I am of the opinion this whole coaching staff is gone. They earned it with their record
-
We should find a way to stay excited.
This is the BEST place this team has been since almost making the playoffs in 2007.
Sure, the team is only 2-4-1...and could be this, or could be that.
This team has competed every week besides the one yearly “bad week”, which every NFL team is susceptible to during the course of the season.
The defense is the foundation, with EXTREMELY promising players across the board.
The offense is finding its identity, and we actually have a true competitor for a quarterback.
It’s hard not to get caught up in whether or not the coach/coaches should be fired, I get it, nobody likes losing.
The fact of the matter is that these talented young players are learning and growing every week.... and the future is VERY BRIGHT. Stay positive, folks.
We should find a way to stay excited.
This is the BEST place this team has been since almost making the playoffs in 2007.
Sure, the team is only 2-4-1...and could be this, or could be that.
This team has competed every week besides the one yearly “bad week”, which every NFL team is susceptible to during the course of the season.
The defense is the foundation, with EXTREMELY promising players across the board.
The offense is finding its identity, and we actually have a true competitor for a quarterback.
It’s hard not to get caught up in whether or not the coach/coaches should be fired, I get it, nobody likes losing.
The fact of the matter is that these talented young players are learning and growing every week.... and the future is VERY BRIGHT. Stay positive, folks.
Not to burst your bubble of enthusiasm, but your premise is not based in reality. The teams is in the EXACT same place as it was last year. Last Place. Your post is filled with euphemisms and useless rhetoric. The offense is finding its identity? The defense is the foundation? The team has competed every week? The QB is a competitor? C'mon man, this is pure bullschidt. Excuses, and fabrications to once again explain why you cannot judge the Browns by the W-L columns.
Here is what I see. The Browns have no WR''s, they are lacking depth at RB, and Williams D can't stop a wall clock that isn't plugged in. Hue has created internal coaching turmoil by throwing Haley under the Bus. Add to that the Browns will most likely lose the next 2 games and go to 2--6-1. The final insult to injury is that Hue Jackson is not going to be fired any time soon. Sorry man, your optimism does not seem to be based in reality.
-
I see this season as a possible analogy to the Browns 1984 season, where the Browns were basically going nowhere with their "nice guy....probably in over his head coach". Yes, I think that is what Sam was. But they got him out of there, and hired a guy with a tougher attitude and a tougher mindset. Plus they went and got them a young franchise QB....and then went on to win like 4 division titles in a row, and went to 3 AFC title games.
Now the question is: who can be this team's next Marty. The direct analogy would say Greg Williams. Not sure about that...but maybe.
He certainly has Marty's lack of discipline and back-breaking penalty part nailed down.
-
You are basing your opinion about Marty on one single solitary set of downs or one drive Of his entire career
No, I am basing my opinion on Marty's entire career as a choker.
-
You are basing your opinion about Marty on one single solitary set of downs or one drive Of his entire career
No, I am basing my opinion on Marty's entire career as a choker.
No, I am basing my opinion on Marty's entire career as a choker.
I am of the opinion that the Browns, in those days, despite having Dixon/Minnifield and Matthews and Banks on defense, their defensive line was just not very good. You had a decent Nose tackle in Bob Golic, but their best pass rusher was Carl Hairston.
So, to my mind some of the issues on that defense were a GM not getting sufficient talent issue....as much or more as an HC issue.
-
At this point the light at the end of the tunnel does not appear to be a freight train...
There is plenty to be positive about with this team despite how heartbreaking these losses are this year. I'm not sure Hue is the guy to lead us to the next level but I do think there are a lot of positives with the team this year. I don't question his decision making as much this year as I have in past years, maybe not calling plays is helping him make better choices. I do think (and said so in the Tavern at the time) that he should've taken the points at the end of the half. I realize that Baker shouldn't fumble there, but it also was a good play by the defensive player as well to catch him from behind. I think putting 3 points on the board would've helped change some momentum going into halftime.
First... thanks to all who seem to have eliminated quoting you-know-who...
There is plenty to be positive about with this team despite how heartbreaking these losses are this year. I'm not sure Hue is the guy to lead us to the next level but I do think there are a lot of positives with the team this year. I don't question his decision making as much this year as I have in past years, maybe not calling plays is helping him make better choices. I do think (and said so in the Tavern at the time) that he should've taken the points at the end of the half. I realize that Baker shouldn't fumble there, but it also was a good play by the defensive player as well to catch him from behind. I think putting 3 points on the board would've helped change some momentum going into halftime.
No doubt the talent level of this team has increased. We are still young, however, for me it is going to be the signs of maturation, or the lack thereof, from this week on that will determine our Staff's fate.
I was going to say "maturation in the 2nd half of the season", but we are seeing our first opponent for the second time this week, so I think the clock starts now.
As for going for the TD on 4th & goal late in the 1st half... at the time I liked the decision. The play call? Not so much...
-
I'm taking my kids to the falcons game on 11/11. Their first browns game. It was either that or Kansas City. We have a decent chance to beat or at least look competitive with Atlanta so Atlanta it is.
-
We should find a way to stay excited.
This is the BEST place this team has been since almost making the playoffs in 2007.
Sure, the team is only 2-4-1...and could be this, or could be that.
This team has competed every week besides the one yearly “bad week”, which every NFL team is susceptible to during the course of the season.
The defense is the foundation, with EXTREMELY promising players across the board.
The offense is finding its identity, and we actually have a true competitor for a quarterback.
It’s hard not to get caught up in whether or not the coach/coaches should be fired, I get it, nobody likes losing.
The fact of the matter is that these talented young players are learning and growing every week.... and the future is VERY BRIGHT. Stay positive, folks.
Not to burst your bubble of enthusiasm, but your premise is not based in reality. The teams is in the EXACT same place as it was last year. Last Place. Your post is filled with euphemisms and useless rhetoric. The offense is finding its identity? The defense is the foundation? The team has competed every week? The QB is a competitor? C'mon man, this is pure bullschidt. Excuses, and fabrications to once again explain why you cannot judge the Browns by the W-L columns.
Here is what I see. The Browns have no WR''s, they are lacking depth at RB, and Williams D can't stop a wall clock that isn't plugged in. Hue has created internal coaching turmoil by throwing Haley under the Bus. Add to that the Browns will most likely lose the next 2 games and go to 2--6-1. The final insult to injury is that Hue Jackson is not going to be fired any time soon. Sorry man, your optimism does not seem to be based in reality.
Not to burst your bubble of enthusiasm, but your premise is not based in reality. The
Here is what I see. The Browns have no WR''s, they are lacking depth at RB, and Williams D can't stop a wall clock that isn't plugged in. Hue has created internal coaching turmoil by throwing Haley under the Bus. Add to that the Browns will most likely lose the next 2 games and go to 2--6-1. The final insult to injury is that Hue Jackson is not going to be fired any time soon. Sorry man, your optimism does not seem to be based in reality.
You didn’t burst anything. I would argue that your pessimism is not based in reality. I like what I’ve been seeing on the field, especially compared to the past two seasons, where I didn’t have the optimism to make an online post about my favorite team.
This team is actually fun to watch now.
-
As Cleveland Browns fans...we find ourselves hoping our moron HC will be fired so we might win one more game this season, while fans of other teams are hoping to win enough games to reach the playoffs. It's very familiar territory.....pathetic.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
