Skip to content

To best fans in Nfl

The Browns Board
92 21 2.8k 1
  • I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #47

    Don't think I'll eat at the red barn then lol

  • Greetings from the UK - browns fans 

    I am visiting for the Kansas city chiefs game 

    This will be my first trip to Cleveland 

    What's the best place to have a few beers and tailgate and talk to fellow browns fans 

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
    #48

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Greetings from the UK - browns fans 

    I am visiting for the Kansas city chiefs game 

    This will be my first trip to Cleveland 

    What's the best place to have a few beers and tailgate and talk to fellow browns fans 

    Make sure you have a bottle of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, a local delight of a beer 

    edit  - Will it be sold as early as next week? 

  • Don't think I'll eat at the red barn then lol

    ClaretBrownC ClaretBrown wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Don't think I'll eat at the red barn then lol

    Where are you flying from/to ian?...(fellow brit in birmingham).

    Expensive to get there?

  • Don't think I'll eat at the red barn then lol

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Don't think I'll eat at the red barn then lol

    Rekd Barn has been closed for a long time.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike
    #51

    I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

    Mike

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Don't think I'll eat at the red barn then lol

    Where are you flying from/to ian?...(fellow brit in birmingham).

    Expensive to get there?

    I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @claretbrown said:

    Where are you flying from/to ian?...(fellow brit in birmingham).

    Expensive to get there?

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

  • I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

    Mike

    I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @canton-mike said:

    I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Ovenin Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

    Mike

    Thanks Mike 

    I shall definitely check out some other these places 

  • I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

    Mike

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @canton-mike said:

    I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

    Mike

    Whenever I travel I always ask people in other businesses where the locals like best to eat. I had the best Italian Ribolitta soup I have ever tasted in my life in a little out of the way cafe in Florence. We were the only tourists in that little sidewalk cafe down a sidestreet on the other side of the river from the main square. Similar experiences in other countries as well. If we ever get to eastern Spain I will make sure Nero takes us to such a place. I'm sure he's got a couple or more there.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Loved the "CarolBurger"... their version of the Big Mac...

    Ate at that Red Barn once... actually made me sick.

    I found In N Out to be overrated... one of those "mystique" things... like Coors beer once upon a time.

    I think Jack (formerly known as Jack in the Box) has the best food of all the national chains, but in Texas we have Whataburger. Their Patti Melt is killer...

    Red Barn was terrible. No Jack in the Box in Ohio that I know of.   Wife collects those styrofoam Jack heads..   

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @hoorta said:

    Red Barn was terrible. No Jack in the Box in Ohio that I know of.   Wife collects those styrofoam Jack heads..   

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Rekd Barn has been closed for a long time.

    There was a Red Barn in my town right across from the football field, and naturally it was packed after the games.  We used to eat there all the time, obviously, it being so convenient.  (not McD's anywhere close then...though now there is).

    Also....for a 6 week period in 1971 I worked for The Red Barn on Sunrise Blvd.  in Fort Lauderdale, and FYI, their National (International?) headquarters was in Ft. L.   The CEO of the company would come into our place all the time.

    But, yes, they went belly up.

    The Red Barn restaurant was a fast-food restaurant chain founded in 1961 in Springfield, Ohio, by Don Six, Martin Levine, and Jim Kirst. In 1963, the small chain was purchased by Richard O. Kearns, operated as Red Barn System, with the offices moving briefly to Dayton, Ohio and in August 1964 to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. During the late 1960s United Servomation, also called Servomation, bought the Red Barn chain.[1] In 1978 United Servomation merged with the City Investing Company's GDV division which also owned the Motel 6motel chain.[1][2] Only interested in real estate, construction, and financial services the new owners ceased advertising for the chain along with allowing the franchise leases to expire with the last of the leases expiring around 1988.[1][3] At its peak, Red Barn had 300-400 restaurants in 19 states, as well as outlets in southern Ontario, elsewhere in Canada, andAustralia.[4]

  • I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @canton-mike said:

    I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

    Mike

    Hartville Kitchen is far from being the best Amish style food.   The Amish Door is much better....as are a number of other Amish country eateries.

  • @claretbrown said:

    Where are you flying from/to ian?...(fellow brit in birmingham).

    Expensive to get there?

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

    Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

    A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

    B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

    C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

    D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

    E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

    F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

    H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

    And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

    G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

    H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

    I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

    J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

    Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

    A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

    B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

    C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

    D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

    E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

    F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

    H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

    And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

    G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

    H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

    I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

    J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

    I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @the-gipper said:

    How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

    Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

    A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

    B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

    C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

    D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

    E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

    F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

    H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

    And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

    G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

    H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

    I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

    J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

    Hello

    Wow that's some list lol

    We staying in old Brooklyn area

    For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

  • @the-gipper said:

    How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

    Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

    A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

    B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

    C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

    D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

    E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

    F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

    H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

    And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

    G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

    H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

    I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

    J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

    Hello

    Wow that's some list lol

    We staying in old Brooklyn area

    For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Wow that's some list lol

    We staying in old Brooklyn area

    For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

    Well, you will have a car, so you can get to any of these.   Bon chance!

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Wow that's some list lol

    We staying in old Brooklyn area

    For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

    Well, you will have a car, so you can get to any of these.   Bon chance!

    I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, you will have a car, so you can get to any of these.   Bon chance!

    Yeah that's excellent thank you for taking the time to put this list together 

    We will definitely try a couple of them I'm sure 

  • @claretbrown said:

    Where are you flying from/to ian?...(fellow brit in birmingham).

    Expensive to get there?

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    That's a pretty fair drive from Toronto to Cleveland. Google says 5 hours.

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    That's a pretty fair drive from Toronto to Cleveland. Google says 5 hours.

    I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @hoorta said:

    That's a pretty fair drive from Toronto to Cleveland. Google says 5 hours.

    Yeah it's not too bad we stopping 

    At Niagara falls for a couple of nights and making way down to Cleveland Saturday morning 

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Don't think I'll eat at the red barn then lol

    Rekd Barn has been closed for a long time.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #63

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Rekd Barn has been closed for a long time.

    Right there another OHIO based restaurant chain closes for good. When I started at YSU in 1968 it was the only fast food restaurant there, always liked their food.

    But I would try and stick with the remaining and established ma' & pa' restaurants in particular the good hunkie and Italian restaurants, some fine pizza and other specialties here. 🙂

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
    #64

    This thread makes me want to return for a third time! I love Cleveland. 

     It’ll happen i’m sure just not this year. 

    I ended up pretty drunk one night and asked a cab driver to take me to a place I could get a late night burger. It was Rally’s which I’ve since learned nobody there likes but I know that at the time it was damn tasty 

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Rekd Barn has been closed for a long time.

    Right there another OHIO based restaurant chain closes for good. When I started at YSU in 1968 it was the only fast food restaurant there, always liked their food.

    But I would try and stick with the remaining and established ma' & pa' restaurants in particular the good hunkie and Italian restaurants, some fine pizza and other specialties here. 🙂

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @mjp28 said:

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

  • @mjp28 said:

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @hoorta said:

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

    Dayton was the Red Barn headquarters.  When I was in my MBA studies we did a lot on franchises why they succeed and failed.