Skip to content

To best fans in Nfl

The Browns Board
92 21 2.8k 1
  • I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @canton-mike said:

    I always suggest local food or mini local chains to out of town/country visitors for food. I will not go to national chain restaurants when away from home, preferring local places such as Tim's Tavern and/or Eadie's in Canton for fish, Swenson's (drive-in or carryout) for a great burger (or 2 or 3), Hartville Kitchen for homestyle Amish food, Papa Bear's/Pizza Oven in Canton, The Rail (high end burgers, 24 OHIO craft beers on tap). Of course, Great Lakes and/or Thirsty Dog.

    Mike

    Hartville Kitchen is far from being the best Amish style food.   The Amish Door is much better....as are a number of other Amish country eateries.

  • @claretbrown said:

    Where are you flying from/to ian?...(fellow brit in birmingham).

    Expensive to get there?

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

    Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

    A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

    B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

    C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

    D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

    E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

    F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

    H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

    And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

    G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

    H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

    I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

    J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

    Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

    A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

    B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

    C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

    D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

    E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

    F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

    H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

    And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

    G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

    H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

    I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

    J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

    I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @the-gipper said:

    How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

    Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

    A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

    B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

    C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

    D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

    E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

    F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

    H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

    And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

    G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

    H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

    I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

    J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

    Hello

    Wow that's some list lol

    We staying in old Brooklyn area

    For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

  • @the-gipper said:

    How long are you going to be in Cleveland, and where are you staying?  

    Here are a few suggestions about local Cleveland eateries, etc. that you could try to patronize when you are here:

    A. Go to the Westside Market.  Numerous  food booths with all kinds of variety and mostly all good stuff.

    B. Hot Sauce Williams  (I believe it may be on Carnegie)....if you want some true American Soul food or Barbecue

    C. The Academy Tavern, on the East Side, East Woodland I believe, fairly near Shaker Square

    D. Johnny's Bar on Fulton  (there is also a Johnny's downtown...Warehouse district)

    E. The Harbor Inn    The most Iconic Cleveland  "pub".  In The Flats, west side. You get everyone from dock workers to lawyers in there and everything in between.

    F. Heck's Cafe,   Ohio City.

    H. If by any chance you are staying down near Medina,  The Timber Lodge is the best restaurant near there.

    And if you are going to be in the Akron area, check in with me there.

    G. The Hofbrau Haus,  on Chester, for German

    H. Corky and Lenny's  East Side, on Chagrin Blvd.  Jewish deli.

    I. Any one of several Italian restaurants in Little Italy,  Mayfield Rd.  East side.

    J. The Flat Iron Cafe, in the Flats.   Frequented by Browns Board tailgators at times.

    Hello

    Wow that's some list lol

    We staying in old Brooklyn area

    For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Wow that's some list lol

    We staying in old Brooklyn area

    For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

    Well, you will have a car, so you can get to any of these.   Bon chance!

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Wow that's some list lol

    We staying in old Brooklyn area

    For three nights Saturday Sunday and Monday and driving back to Toronto for flight home to UK Tuesday 

    Well, you will have a car, so you can get to any of these.   Bon chance!

    I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, you will have a car, so you can get to any of these.   Bon chance!

    Yeah that's excellent thank you for taking the time to put this list together 

    We will definitely try a couple of them I'm sure 

  • @claretbrown said:

    Where are you flying from/to ian?...(fellow brit in birmingham).

    Expensive to get there?

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    That's a pretty fair drive from Toronto to Cleveland. Google says 5 hours.

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    That's a pretty fair drive from Toronto to Cleveland. Google says 5 hours.

    I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @hoorta said:

    That's a pretty fair drive from Toronto to Cleveland. Google says 5 hours.

    Yeah it's not too bad we stopping 

    At Niagara falls for a couple of nights and making way down to Cleveland Saturday morning 

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Don't think I'll eat at the red barn then lol

    Rekd Barn has been closed for a long time.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #63

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Rekd Barn has been closed for a long time.

    Right there another OHIO based restaurant chain closes for good. When I started at YSU in 1968 it was the only fast food restaurant there, always liked their food.

    But I would try and stick with the remaining and established ma' & pa' restaurants in particular the good hunkie and Italian restaurants, some fine pizza and other specialties here. 🙂

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
    #64

    This thread makes me want to return for a third time! I love Cleveland. 

     It’ll happen i’m sure just not this year. 

    I ended up pretty drunk one night and asked a cab driver to take me to a place I could get a late night burger. It was Rally’s which I’ve since learned nobody there likes but I know that at the time it was damn tasty 

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Rekd Barn has been closed for a long time.

    Right there another OHIO based restaurant chain closes for good. When I started at YSU in 1968 it was the only fast food restaurant there, always liked their food.

    But I would try and stick with the remaining and established ma' & pa' restaurants in particular the good hunkie and Italian restaurants, some fine pizza and other specialties here. 🙂

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @mjp28 said:

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

  • @mjp28 said:

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @hoorta said:

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

    Dayton was the Red Barn headquarters.  When I was in my MBA studies we did a lot on franchises why they succeed and failed.

  • This thread makes me want to return for a third time! I love Cleveland. 

     It’ll happen i’m sure just not this year. 

    I ended up pretty drunk one night and asked a cab driver to take me to a place I could get a late night burger. It was Rally’s which I’ve since learned nobody there likes but I know that at the time it was damn tasty 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @londonbrown said:

    This thread makes me want to return for a third time! I love Cleveland. 

     It’ll happen i’m sure just not this year. 

    I ended up pretty drunk one night and asked a cab driver to take me to a place I could get a late night burger. It was Rally’s which I’ve since learned nobody there likes but I know that at the time it was damn tasty 

    Hey it will be somewhat different NO LeBron, two new coaches, but the Indians still hanging in......and plenty of eating and drinking spots.

  • @mjp28 said:

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @hoorta said:

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

    Same with the one with Norton now a car washSame with the one with Norton now a car

  • @mjp28 said:

    F42ro-1452204763-962-list_items-red_barn-1.jpg

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @hoorta said:

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

    The one in Ravenna was turned into the truck sales office for the Dodge dealership across the street. 

    Another one in Stow was an auto parts store on Rt 59, I think it might have been torn down recently. 

    From what I was told, Red Barns sold alcohol? 

  • Greetings from the UK - browns fans 

    I am visiting for the Kansas city chiefs game 

    This will be my first trip to Cleveland 

    What's the best place to have a few beers and tailgate and talk to fellow browns fans 

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Greetings from the UK - browns fans 

    I am visiting for the Kansas city chiefs game 

    This will be my first trip to Cleveland 

    What's the best place to have a few beers and tailgate and talk to fellow browns fans 

    Downtown Cleveland kind of sucks I'm sorry to say. It's just a hop skip and jump to more happening areas though,Ohio city and  lakewood to the west, university circle / Coventry / little Italy to the east, and Tremont to the South are all within a few miles and all more happening than downtown, which is mostly a ghost town after a certain time. 

  • @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Greetings from the UK - browns fans 

    I am visiting for the Kansas city chiefs game 

    This will be my first trip to Cleveland 

    What's the best place to have a few beers and tailgate and talk to fellow browns fans 

    Downtown Cleveland kind of sucks I'm sorry to say. It's just a hop skip and jump to more happening areas though,Ohio city and  lakewood to the west, university circle / Coventry / little Italy to the east, and Tremont to the South are all within a few miles and all more happening than downtown, which is mostly a ghost town after a certain time. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Downtown Cleveland kind of sucks I'm sorry to say. It's just a hop skip and jump to more happening areas though,Ohio city and  lakewood to the west, university circle / Coventry / little Italy to the east, and Tremont to the South are all within a few miles and all more happening than downtown, which is mostly a ghost town after a certain time. 

    It might’ve been that way in the 1970s when I went to law school there but it’s not that way now. The warehouse District E. 4th St. all those places are hopping at night

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #72

    I don't think the east side of Cleveland gets enough run. 

    For my money, a brisk fall night in the E.99th section of town this time of year is lovely. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Ours (Dayton) was torn down- and there's a car wash in it's place now.  🙂   

    The one in Ravenna was turned into the truck sales office for the Dodge dealership across the street. 

    Another one in Stow was an auto parts store on Rt 59, I think it might have been torn down recently. 

    From what I was told, Red Barns sold alcohol? 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @dutch-oven said:

    The one in Ravenna was turned into the truck sales office for the Dodge dealership across the street. 

    Another one in Stow was an auto parts store on Rt 59, I think it might have been torn down recently. 

    From what I was told, Red Barns sold alcohol? 

    Maybe some very local zoning thing?  Never heard of that. 

  • This thread makes me want to return for a third time! I love Cleveland. 

     It’ll happen i’m sure just not this year. 

    I ended up pretty drunk one night and asked a cab driver to take me to a place I could get a late night burger. It was Rally’s which I’ve since learned nobody there likes but I know that at the time it was damn tasty 

    I Ian the brown taylor wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @londonbrown said:

    This thread makes me want to return for a third time! I love Cleveland. 

     It’ll happen i’m sure just not this year. 

    I ended up pretty drunk one night and asked a cab driver to take me to a place I could get a late night burger. It was Rally’s which I’ve since learned nobody there likes but I know that at the time it was damn tasty 

    Lol all tastes better after a few beers 

    I'm looking forward to first visit 

    I'm sure like you I would go again soon as possible 

  • @claretbrown said:

    Where are you flying from/to ian?...(fellow brit in birmingham).

    Expensive to get there?

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    ClaretBrownC ClaretBrown wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @ian-the-brown-taylor said:

    Hello

    Flying from Heathrow to Toronto British airways 

    Then hire car to Cleveland 

    Was not that bad 

    Three Hundred ISH for return flight 150 for hire car 6 days 

    About 80 dollars two tickets 

    Plus hotel and BnB 

    That doesn't sound too bad...i would have to multiply that by 5 though...missus and 3 kids!! ?

    Would love to do it though at some point. Have fun and let us know how it went ?