Skip to content

Al Saunders NOT named interim

The Browns Board
50 23 1.5k
  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #28

    The Steelers have gotten better on offense without Haley and they don’t have Bell

    We have a #1 QB with huge potential we can’t let anyone ruin the chance of him succeeding. 

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Saunders hasn't been named interim coach.  Nothing has been announced yet.

  • I dont understand why they didn't give Haley a chance. He has proven he can run a top tier offense and were going to let that go for a question mark next season? Dumb

    medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I dont understand why they didn't give Haley a chance. He has proven he can run a top tier offense and were going to let that go for a question mark next season? Dumb

    I don't think Todd knew he had a super young team when he drew up this offense, it may have worked for a team that had a few years under their belt

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Phuck Haley....... I'm just as stoked his azz is gone too. 

  • I really liked our DC. I hope the new coach keeps Greg but I am sure that is not going to happen.

    CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @medicineman said:

    I really liked our DC. I hope the new coach keeps Greg but I am sure that is not going to happen.

    I think he is safe for this year, at least.

  • Just heard this on NFL network regarding the relationship between Hue and his assistants.

    Just said that Hue gave the team the day off after beating Baltimore and the assistant coaches were furious.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @mark-o said:

    Just heard this on NFL network regarding the relationship between Hue and his assistants.

    Just said that Hue gave the team the day off after beating Baltimore and the assistant coaches were furious.

    That doesn't surprise me.  

  • @louisville-slugger said:

    I dont understand why they didn't give Haley a chance. He has proven he can run a top tier offense and were going to let that go for a question mark next season? Dumb

    He’s made many questionable calls this year in crucial game situations(end arounds, double screens) that have HURT this teams chances of winning 

    Louisville SluggerL Louisville Slugger wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    He’s made many questionable calls this year in crucial game situations(end arounds, double screens) that have HURT this teams chances of winning 

    Yea but its first year with a rookie QB and RB. We also 0 receiving talent outside of Landry. 

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    He’s made many questionable calls this year in crucial game situations(end arounds, double screens) that have HURT this teams chances of winning 

    Yea but its first year with a rookie QB and RB. We also 0 receiving talent outside of Landry. 

    CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @louisville-slugger said:

    Yea but its first year with a rookie QB and RB. We also 0 receiving talent outside of Landry. 

    Baker was on fire in the second half against Tampa when OC called double screen(holding on Des Harrison), and run, on first downs in OT when again, Baker was on fire..

    end arounds was called against NO(game tied I believe) when TT was playing with 5-6 minutes left, and it went for -8 yards...

  • Louisville SluggerL Louisville Slugger wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Doesn't Baker being "on fire" make the arguement that Haley deserves more than a handful of games to develop an offense for him?

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Haley sucked before too. That’s why he got fired. Ben hated him and Hue brings him here.  Sheesh! I like Saunders and at least he will make the 2nd half of the season worth watching. The plan is to get Mayfield the weapons he needs to win with in the off season

  • @darren15 said:

    Nice to see we have gone for a young up and coming candidate

    And what young and up can coming candidate are you going to hire in the middle of the season??

    Zombo is right...he's a respected guy who can coach the rest of the season and the staff is likely blown up at the end of the season anyways.

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @mark-o said:

    And what young and up can coming candidate are you going to hire in the middle of the season??

    Zombo is right...he's a respected guy who can coach the rest of the season and the staff is likely blown up at the end of the season anyways.

    Hehe, he was just playing I think.  Saunders was hired as interim to just keep the wheels on as best as possible, and I think it makes a lot of sense.  And the guy might be 71, but he's got the energy of a freaking toddler!  I don't have any unrealistic expectations about what Saunders can accomplish in his 8 games, but I'm very interested to see how the players react to the massive changes.  The gossipy sports writers make it sound like Baker isn't sad whatsoever that Hue Jackson is gone, and if that's the case, I'm betting other players felt the same way.  

    We have our monster defensive player in Garrett, our QB in Mayfield, a badazz CB in Ward, and several other key pieces to build around.  Our cupboard if far from "full", but it ain't empty like years past, either.  Once we get our coach, I could really see a transformation happening.  Right now we need to keep Baker healthy, and we need him to learn as much as possible during this difficult season.  It's been said before, but I always think back to what Peyton Manning said, "I learned the most about playing QB in the 4th quarter of some blowout losses."

  • Totally fine with it. I really am curious to see what Haley and Williams do without the cloud of Hue over their heads. Saunders has been around the league forever and I'm not worried he can control the guys in the locker room. 

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @jrb12711 said:

    Totally fine with it. I really am curious to see what Haley and Williams do without the cloud of Hue over their heads. Saunders has been around the league forever and I'm not worried he can control the guys in the locker room. 

    u do understand that hue had "nothibg" to do with the defense right? absolutely nothing. garrett wasnt questioning hue's defensive schemes last night, he was questioning gw's. 

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Totally fine with it. I really am curious to see what Haley and Williams do without the cloud of Hue over their heads. Saunders has been around the league forever and I'm not worried he can control the guys in the locker room. 

    u do understand that hue had "nothibg" to do with the defense right? absolutely nothing. garrett wasnt questioning hue's defensive schemes last night, he was questioning gw's. 

    CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @clevfan4life said:

    u do understand that hue had "nothibg" to do with the defense right? absolutely nothing. garrett wasnt questioning hue's defensive schemes last night, he was questioning gw's. 

    I think the defense gave up because of the offensive dysfunction. And that missed FG and XP, ouch....

    You cannot beat Pittsburgh if you don’t put points on the board. Maybe next year our defense will be better and have more depth, but clearly not this year.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    u do understand that hue had "nothibg" to do with the defense right? absolutely nothing. garrett wasnt questioning hue's defensive schemes last night, he was questioning gw's. 

    I think the defense gave up because of the offensive dysfunction. And that missed FG and XP, ouch....

    You cannot beat Pittsburgh if you don’t put points on the board. Maybe next year our defense will be better and have more depth, but clearly not this year.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    I think the defense gave up because of the offensive dysfunction. And that missed FG and XP, ouch....

    You cannot beat Pittsburgh if you don’t put points on the board. Maybe next year our defense will be better and have more depth, but clearly not this year.

    agreed

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Totally fine with it. I really am curious to see what Haley and Williams do without the cloud of Hue over their heads. Saunders has been around the league forever and I'm not worried he can control the guys in the locker room. 

    u do understand that hue had "nothibg" to do with the defense right? absolutely nothing. garrett wasnt questioning hue's defensive schemes last night, he was questioning gw's. 

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by jrb12711
    #42

    @clevfan4life said:

    u do understand that hue had "nothibg" to do with the defense right? absolutely nothing. garrett wasnt questioning hue's defensive schemes last night, he was questioning gw's. 

    dude, you're honestly getting incoherent on this board. Calm down a bit my man, it's all good.

    Although man, my original comment didn't age well haha.

  • Saunders hasn't been named interim coach.  Nothing has been announced yet.

    KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @mark-o said:

    Saunders hasn't been named interim coach.  Nothing has been announced yet.

    It will be...just like hue and todd werent fired till officially announced

  • @mark-o said:

    Saunders hasn't been named interim coach.  Nothing has been announced yet.

    It will be...just like hue and todd werent fired till officially announced

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #44

    @kvoethe said:

    It will be...just like hue and todd werent fired till officially announced

    Greg's the HC 

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Nice play fake by the browns...had all the usual sources fooled

  • Just heard this on NFL network regarding the relationship between Hue and his assistants.

    Just said that Hue gave the team the day off after beating Baltimore and the assistant coaches were furious.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @mark-o said:

    Just heard this on NFL network regarding the relationship between Hue and his assistants.

    Just said that Hue gave the team the day off after beating Baltimore and the assistant coaches were furious.

    Yup with Williams in charge the Club Med coddling is gonzo....   

    I can't even begin to spell her name but the NFLN lady that was at the Steeler game reinforced my opinion. The Browns QUIT in the 4th quarter against the Steelers. I'm sure Dorsey saw that, and besides all the other behind the scenes drama that's now coming out- it was the last straw for Huey. 

  • @jcam222 said:

    I know many are over joyed and likely Hue did need to go. That said to me it’s depressing, yet another coaching change and rebuild.  Also hate to see us walk away from leading the lead in takeaways. 

    The Rams hired their rookie Head Coach after their #1 overall bust at QB struggled his 1st year, and that seemed to work out just fine.

    The Browns have to hire the right guy.... not the most well known guy.... the right guy. 

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @d-bone said:

    The Rams hired their rookie Head Coach after their #1 overall bust at QB struggled his 1st year, and that seemed to work out just fine.

    The Browns have to hire the right guy.... not the most well known guy.... the right guy. 

    I don't disagree at all. the thing is hiring "the right guy" is not very easy to do