Browns Claim Buffalo LB'er
-
I think Mangini is getting as many players as possible into camp, to have a true huge competition between players so he can properly judge the talent. So he can see the full spectrum.
I love this, it truely means he's gonna put the best players on the field
-
Now we're signing cast members from Seinfeld?
-
@shepwrite said:
I told my wife someone would make a Seinfeld reference when I saw it in the paper.You talk about us to your wife?

-
This certainly increases the competition at LB. Mangini must REALLY have not liked what he saw out of our LB corps. You wonder if Wimbley, Williams, Jackson, etc. etc. will even be starting here this year....or even be on the roster!
-
This certainly increases the competition at LB. Mangini must REALLY have not liked what he saw out of our LB corps. You wonder if Wimbley, Williams, Jackson, etc. etc. will even be starting here this year....or even be on the roster!
This certainly increases the competition at LB. Mangini must REALLY have not liked what he saw out of our LB corps. You wonder if Wimbley, Williams, Jackson, etc. etc. will even be starting here this year....or even be on the roster!
Wimbley and jackson definitely will be, what would make you say that?
-
-
Mangini signed Costanzo as a UDFA back in '06, so there's some familiarity there. He'll add competition to the back end of our LB corps: a guy like Beau Bell will need to show something on D to hold off a guy who's better than him on specials.
I saw someone in another thread say that this somehow puts Cribbs' situation in doubt. I don't think that's the case; the Browns actually released Bryan Williams to open up a roster spot for Costanzo.
Williams, a super athletic guy who's been compared to Cribbs, apparently got himself into trouble by shuffling through a penalty lap. But if Cribbs were about to get traded, I'd imagine Mangini would want to keep a guy like Williams around.
-
Mangini signed Costanzo as a UDFA back in '06, so there's some familiarity there. He'll add competition to the back end of our LB corps: a guy like Beau Bell will need to show something on D to hold off a guy who's better than him on specials.
I saw someone in another thread say that this somehow puts Cribbs' situation in doubt. I don't think that's the case; the Browns actually released Bryan Williams to open up a roster spot for Costanzo.
Williams, a super athletic guy who's been compared to Cribbs, apparently got himself into trouble by shuffling through a penalty lap. But if Cribbs were about to get traded, I'd imagine Mangini would want to keep a guy like Williams around.
Aloysius said:
Mangini signed Costanzo as a UDFA back in '06, so there's some familiarity there. He'll add competition to the back end of our LB corps: a guy like Beau Bell will need to show something on D to hold off a guy who's better than him on specials.I saw someone in another thread say that this somehow puts Cribbs' situation in doubt. I don't think that's the case; the Browns actually released Bryan Williams to open up a roster spot for Costanzo.
Williams, a super athletic guy who's been compared to Cribbs, apparently got himself into trouble by shuffling through a penalty lap. But if Cribbs were about to get traded, I'd imagine Mangini would want to keep a guy like Williams around.
I agree with you that this is more about special teams then LB or their lack of confidence in their LB crew. Mangini has brought in some very solid special teams guys and I remember the second half of the season when wehad trouble stopping guys inside the 40 on kickoffs.
Bell will have a very hard time making the team if he doesn't shine on special teams. Maiava is also a outstanding special teams player and seems to be more versitile then Bell. I don't know much about Costanza but I can see that his emphasis is hard nosed guys who aren't just backups but contributors.
-
Aloysius said:
Mangini signed Costanzo as a UDFA back in '06, so there's some familiarity there. He'll add competition to the back end of our LB corps: a guy like Beau Bell will need to show something on D to hold off a guy who's better than him on specials.I saw someone in another thread say that this somehow puts Cribbs' situation in doubt. I don't think that's the case; the Browns actually released Bryan Williams to open up a roster spot for Costanzo.
Williams, a super athletic guy who's been compared to Cribbs, apparently got himself into trouble by shuffling through a penalty lap. But if Cribbs were about to get traded, I'd imagine Mangini would want to keep a guy like Williams around.
I agree with you that this is more about special teams then LB or their lack of confidence in their LB crew. Mangini has brought in some very solid special teams guys and I remember the second half of the season when wehad trouble stopping guys inside the 40 on kickoffs.
Bell will have a very hard time making the team if he doesn't shine on special teams. Maiava is also a outstanding special teams player and seems to be more versitile then Bell. I don't know much about Costanza but I can see that his emphasis is hard nosed guys who aren't just backups but contributors.
I agree with you that this is more about special teams then LB or their lack of confidence in their LB crew.
More than that. This signing has NOTHING to do with the state of our LB crew...his "real" position is meaningless as he is a ST player all the way.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
-
Does he play gunner on punt returns? I think this is one duty they would love to have someone take from Cribbs if he can contribute somewhere on offense or defense. Let Cribbs return kickoffs and let someone else do the rest of the special teams jobs.
-
Does he play gunner on punt returns? I think this is one duty they would love to have someone take from Cribbs if he can contribute somewhere on offense or defense. Let Cribbs return kickoffs and let someone else do the rest of the special teams jobs.
Does he play gunner on punt returns? I think this is one duty they would love to have someone take from Cribbs if he can contribute somewhere on offense or defense. Let Cribbs return kickoffs and let someone else do the rest of the special teams jobs.
If Cribbs can't step up on offense as a WR or take that step over to the defense, then he will be a gunner. He will get some time as the SLASH back but he still needs to define his role other then special teams.
-
This certainly increases the competition at LB. Mangini must REALLY have not liked what he saw out of our LB corps. You wonder if Wimbley, Williams, Jackson, etc. etc. will even be starting here this year....or even be on the roster!
This certainly increases the competition at LB. Mangini must REALLY have not liked what he saw out of our LB corps. You wonder if Wimbley, Williams, Jackson, etc. etc. will even be starting here this year....or even be on the roster!
pretty sure DQ will be starting..
-
Browns | Costanzo claimed
Comment (0)
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:18:43 -0700
The Associated Press reports the Cleveland Browns have claimed LB Blake Costanzo off waivers from the Buffalo Bills.
Browns | Costanzo claimed
Comment (0)
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:18:43 -0700
The Associated Press reports the Cleveland Browns have claimed LB Blake Costanzo off waivers from the Buffalo Bills.
Let the pigeons loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-
Browns | Costanzo claimed
Comment (0)
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:18:43 -0700
The Associated Press reports the Cleveland Browns have claimed LB Blake Costanzo off waivers from the Buffalo Bills.
Let the pigeons loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-
Does he play gunner on punt returns? I think this is one duty they would love to have someone take from Cribbs if he can contribute somewhere on offense or defense. Let Cribbs return kickoffs and let someone else do the rest of the special teams jobs.
If Cribbs can't step up on offense as a WR or take that step over to the defense, then he will be a gunner. He will get some time as the SLASH back but he still needs to define his role other then special teams.
If Cribbs can't step up on offense as a WR or take that step over to the defense, then he will be a gunner. .
I know that Cribbs is just about unstoppable on kick and punt coverage, but I would love to relieve him of those duties full time. I think now is right about the time he gets hurt on those duties full time. He has been in the league going on 5 years now, and for such a valuable return guy, I'd like to think we can ease him off some on the coverage duties with some of the good ST's guys we drafted/picked up.
Not saying this is not THE best ST coverage guy on the planet, but just saying it could end up finally catching up to him. Would like to see him a little on O, a little on D, and returning kicks and punts.
-
It's all about building the roster, and building the bottom of the roster is just as important as building the top.
We just picked up a guy who is a proven special team player.
It has nothing to do with Cribbs or anyone else for that matter. It is simply a move we feel will make us a stronger club.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

