Skip to content

All in on Baker?

The Browns Board
32 14 963 1
  • I know people might laugh at this, but I think that last drive Baker had against the Steelers was important.  I realize they likely pulled just about all of their starters, but it wasn't exactly like they were in a true prevent defense, either.  The Steelers rushed more than 4 on several of those plays, and Baker completed a VERY difficult pass to Devalve for a helluva TD strike in between like 4 Steelers.  Even on that play the Steelers rushed 4 linemen, who attempted an unsuccessful stunt.  Baker somehow fit the ball in between those defenders, and Devalve made a very nice catch.  Yeah, it really didn't matter, and yeah, it was way too little too late, but it's still nice for our QB to see the ball scored.  Those are the type of plays that can build confidence, and who knows?  Maybe that's the kind of play that gets Devalve rolling as well.  I certainly predicted Devalve to be a vital part of our offense this year, and I literally have NO clue why he's not even getting targeted.  

    Also, I want everyone to notice just how bad our protection is, and also how bad our receivers are at shedding physical play.  Now, obviously Callaway got held on this play and STILL made the catch on an incredible ball, but watch both sides of our OL.  Watch Hubbard get absolutely WHIPPED by a bullrush (yet again), and on the other side, the RB has to make a decision on which guy to block, and thankfully got away with a hold.  It's a miracle Baker didn't just throw this ball away because he had pressure coming from BOTH sides.  You can find the Callaway and Devalve TD's here:

    http://www.nfl.com/player/bakermayfield/2560800/profile

    I also wanted to point out a question that we likely can't answer.  Recently a radio show host made the statement that it appeared as if Baker is making far fewer adjustments at the line and calling out basically no audibles.  He said it was especially evident against the Steelers when they had obvious rushers coming, yet Baker didn't make any protection adjustments or any playcall audibles.  The question was, "Did Baker have audibles and protection changes taken away from him in order to make the game simpler?"   I have to admit, this goes beyond the scope of my knowledge, but it makes sense to some degree.  I've NEVER seen SO MANY untouched, and unaccounted for defensive players rushing the QB, and many times it was SO OBVIOUS that they were coming.  How could our QB NOT know they were coming for him, and how could he NOT KNOW he didn't have personnel to block them?  The Steelers weren't even trying to disguise what they were doing many times, and it confused the heck out of me.  

    Baker's numbers through 5.5 games:  58% completion, 1471 yards, 8 TDs, and 6 INT's.  79 QBR.  I'd say that looks about right for a rookie, what do you think?

  • I know people might laugh at this, but I think that last drive Baker had against the Steelers was important.  I realize they likely pulled just about all of their starters, but it wasn't exactly like they were in a true prevent defense, either.  The Steelers rushed more than 4 on several of those plays, and Baker completed a VERY difficult pass to Devalve for a helluva TD strike in between like 4 Steelers.  Even on that play the Steelers rushed 4 linemen, who attempted an unsuccessful stunt.  Baker somehow fit the ball in between those defenders, and Devalve made a very nice catch.  Yeah, it really didn't matter, and yeah, it was way too little too late, but it's still nice for our QB to see the ball scored.  Those are the type of plays that can build confidence, and who knows?  Maybe that's the kind of play that gets Devalve rolling as well.  I certainly predicted Devalve to be a vital part of our offense this year, and I literally have NO clue why he's not even getting targeted.  

    Also, I want everyone to notice just how bad our protection is, and also how bad our receivers are at shedding physical play.  Now, obviously Callaway got held on this play and STILL made the catch on an incredible ball, but watch both sides of our OL.  Watch Hubbard get absolutely WHIPPED by a bullrush (yet again), and on the other side, the RB has to make a decision on which guy to block, and thankfully got away with a hold.  It's a miracle Baker didn't just throw this ball away because he had pressure coming from BOTH sides.  You can find the Callaway and Devalve TD's here:

    http://www.nfl.com/player/bakermayfield/2560800/profile

    I also wanted to point out a question that we likely can't answer.  Recently a radio show host made the statement that it appeared as if Baker is making far fewer adjustments at the line and calling out basically no audibles.  He said it was especially evident against the Steelers when they had obvious rushers coming, yet Baker didn't make any protection adjustments or any playcall audibles.  The question was, "Did Baker have audibles and protection changes taken away from him in order to make the game simpler?"   I have to admit, this goes beyond the scope of my knowledge, but it makes sense to some degree.  I've NEVER seen SO MANY untouched, and unaccounted for defensive players rushing the QB, and many times it was SO OBVIOUS that they were coming.  How could our QB NOT know they were coming for him, and how could he NOT KNOW he didn't have personnel to block them?  The Steelers weren't even trying to disguise what they were doing many times, and it confused the heck out of me.  

    Baker's numbers through 5.5 games:  58% completion, 1471 yards, 8 TDs, and 6 INT's.  79 QBR.  I'd say that looks about right for a rookie, what do you think?

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Also, I want everyone to notice just how bad our protection is, and also how bad our receivers are at shedding physical play.  Now, obviously Callaway got held on this play and STILL made the catch on an incredible ball, but watch both sides of our OL.  Watch Hubbard get absolutely WHIPPED by a bullrush (yet again), and on the other side, the RB has to make a decision on which guy to block, and thankfully got away with a hold.  It's a miracle Baker didn't just throw this ball away because he had pressure coming from BOTH sides.  You can find the Callaway and Devalve TD's here:

    I thought on the Callaway TD that Chubb did a good job of picking the right person to block.   The first guy that he let go was kinda sorta being blocked and was going away from where the QB was and he picked up the 2nd guy who would've had a clean shot at Baker. 

    But, agree with your point.  The O-line is really bad and not sure what there is that can be done about it at this point.   I would think some moving pockets or roll outs would make sense but we haven't seen much of that this season to my recollection.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Also, I want everyone to notice just how bad our protection is, and also how bad our receivers are at shedding physical play.  Now, obviously Callaway got held on this play and STILL made the catch on an incredible ball, but watch both sides of our OL.  Watch Hubbard get absolutely WHIPPED by a bullrush (yet again), and on the other side, the RB has to make a decision on which guy to block, and thankfully got away with a hold.  It's a miracle Baker didn't just throw this ball away because he had pressure coming from BOTH sides.  You can find the Callaway and Devalve TD's here:

    I thought on the Callaway TD that Chubb did a good job of picking the right person to block.   The first guy that he let go was kinda sorta being blocked and was going away from where the QB was and he picked up the 2nd guy who would've had a clean shot at Baker. 

    But, agree with your point.  The O-line is really bad and not sure what there is that can be done about it at this point.   I would think some moving pockets or roll outs would make sense but we haven't seen much of that this season to my recollection.

    @mark-o said:

    I thought on the Callaway TD that Chubb did a good job of picking the right person to block.   The first guy that he let go was kinda sorta being blocked and was going away from where the QB was and he picked up the 2nd guy who would've had a clean shot at Baker. 

    But, agree with your point.  The O-line is really bad and not sure what there is that can be done about it at this point.   I would think some moving pockets or roll outs would make sense but we haven't seen much of that this season to my recollection.

    Man, I wasn't paying attention.  Initially I thought Harrison got whipped, but Harrison actually dominated his man.  It was the TE on the left who wasn't even ready for the freaking snap!  Holy heck.  It literally looked like the snap caught him by surprise, and then he wasn't even sure what to do.  He immediately began chasing the blitzer, which was chipped by Chubb before he went onto the other blitzer.  No wonder Baker looks a bit skittish.  

  • Should Browns go all-in on Baker Mayfield and hir…:

    @westside-steve said:

    Should Browns go all-in on Baker Mayfield and hir…:

    i said it on another thread.....if these Shmucking bozos screw this up....which is quite possible....and in my opinion, they have already started with having baker go thru his second oc in less than a yr, i hope to hell he gets out of here and goes to a team that will bring out his best and give him a chance......so yes, he has the it factor, and at this point deal me in....

  • @mark-o said:

    I thought on the Callaway TD that Chubb did a good job of picking the right person to block.   The first guy that he let go was kinda sorta being blocked and was going away from where the QB was and he picked up the 2nd guy who would've had a clean shot at Baker. 

    But, agree with your point.  The O-line is really bad and not sure what there is that can be done about it at this point.   I would think some moving pockets or roll outs would make sense but we haven't seen much of that this season to my recollection.

    Man, I wasn't paying attention.  Initially I thought Harrison got whipped, but Harrison actually dominated his man.  It was the TE on the left who wasn't even ready for the freaking snap!  Holy heck.  It literally looked like the snap caught him by surprise, and then he wasn't even sure what to do.  He immediately began chasing the blitzer, which was chipped by Chubb before he went onto the other blitzer.  No wonder Baker looks a bit skittish.  

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Man, I wasn't paying attention.  Initially I thought Harrison got whipped, but Harrison actually dominated his man.  It was the TE on the left who wasn't even ready for the freaking snap!  Holy heck.  It literally looked like the snap caught him by surprise, and then he wasn't even sure what to do.  He immediately began chasing the blitzer, which was chipped by Chubb before he went onto the other blitzer.  No wonder Baker looks a bit skittish.  

    maybe more discipline to start.....it may be most of the ol needs to be replaced....who knows....alot of the teams that get better in this league spend alot of money in free agency to build a good ol....sometimes it works and sometimes it does not...do we go there....not sure...all i know is what many on this board have been saying...baker is beginning to look more skittish each passing week.....and with that lt we have, can you blame him.......

  • Do I think Baker has franchise QB potential? Yes.

    Do I need to go "all in" for him to become that QB? No.... Sorry, but it's a stupid effin' question.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Man, I wasn't paying attention.  Initially I thought Harrison got whipped, but Harrison actually dominated his man.  It was the TE on the left who wasn't even ready for the freaking snap!  Holy heck.  It literally looked like the snap caught him by surprise, and then he wasn't even sure what to do.  He immediately began chasing the blitzer, which was chipped by Chubb before he went onto the other blitzer.  No wonder Baker looks a bit skittish.  

    maybe more discipline to start.....it may be most of the ol needs to be replaced....who knows....alot of the teams that get better in this league spend alot of money in free agency to build a good ol....sometimes it works and sometimes it does not...do we go there....not sure...all i know is what many on this board have been saying...baker is beginning to look more skittish each passing week.....and with that lt we have, can you blame him.......

    @browns52 said:

    maybe more discipline to start.....it may be most of the ol needs to be replaced....who knows....alot of the teams that get better in this league spend alot of money in free agency to build a good ol....sometimes it works and sometimes it does not...do we go there....not sure...all i know is what many on this board have been saying...baker is beginning to look more skittish each passing week.....and with that lt we have, can you blame him.......

    We also need people to throw to, and that means Higgins has to get healthy. I realize he's not exactly an allstar, but we desperately need him. Baker can have all day to throw but it won't do much good if we don't have anyone to catch it or get open. I was just watching the highlights of the Bucs at Bengals game and our guys wouldn't be able to make half the catches in that contest. We have holes in our roster, and I guess that's to be expected if I'm being honest with myself. 

  • @browns52 said:

    maybe more discipline to start.....it may be most of the ol needs to be replaced....who knows....alot of the teams that get better in this league spend alot of money in free agency to build a good ol....sometimes it works and sometimes it does not...do we go there....not sure...all i know is what many on this board have been saying...baker is beginning to look more skittish each passing week.....and with that lt we have, can you blame him.......

    We also need people to throw to, and that means Higgins has to get healthy. I realize he's not exactly an allstar, but we desperately need him. Baker can have all day to throw but it won't do much good if we don't have anyone to catch it or get open. I was just watching the highlights of the Bucs at Bengals game and our guys wouldn't be able to make half the catches in that contest. We have holes in our roster, and I guess that's to be expected if I'm being honest with myself. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    We also need people to throw to, and that means Higgins has to get healthy. I realize he's not exactly an allstar, but we desperately need him. Baker can have all day to throw but it won't do much good if we don't have anyone to catch it or get open. I was just watching the highlights of the Bucs at Bengals game and our guys wouldn't be able to make half the catches in that contest. We have holes in our roster, and I guess that's to be expected if I'm being honest with myself. 

    It takes more than one offseason to build a top flight team.   The team is better than it was last year and the year before, correct??    Hopefully that trend continues going forward with new coaches and some additions to both sides of the ball.

  • Baker is the guy. No doubts. He will keep getting better. Not an easy situation on offense like it is for Mahommes.

  • He is the QB of the near future.  Would I bet that he wins a playoff in a Browns uniform, no I wouldn't.  

  • He is the QB of the near future.  Would I bet that he wins a playoff in a Browns uniform, no I wouldn't.  

    @baconhound said:

    He is the QB of the near future.  Would I bet that he wins a playoff in a Browns uniform, no I wouldn't.  

    You are just full of optimism tonight in multiple threads

  • He is the QB of the near future.  Would I bet that he wins a playoff in a Browns uniform, no I wouldn't.  

    @baconhound said:

    He is the QB of the near future.  Would I bet that he wins a playoff in a Browns uniform, no I wouldn't.  

    I would take that bet.....if it were not such a long turn affair.

  • @baconhound said:

    He is the QB of the near future.  Would I bet that he wins a playoff in a Browns uniform, no I wouldn't.  

    You are just full of optimism tonight in multiple threads

    @jcam222 said:

    You are just full of optimism tonight in multiple threads

    It is what it is.  I watch all but 4 games of Baker’s OU career.  In that time he had two 3 NFL caliber RBs in Mixon, Perine and Anderson.  A NFL TE in Mark Andrews,  DeDe Westbrook and Sterling Shepard as WRs.  He played behind a perennial top 5 college OLs and an offensive guru in Lincoln Riley.  He’s Sam Bradford 

  • Should Browns go all-in on Baker Mayfield and hir…:

    @westside-steve said:

    Should Browns go all-in on Baker Mayfield and hir…:

    Don't become the Buccaneers.. In the 40 yr history of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, they have drafted 25 Quarterbacks, and exactly ZERO have been signed to a second contract.....😮 Despite the fact they have drafted THREE Superbowl winning Quarterbacks..

  • The browns are going to go one of two ways. Either a coach that has ties to Dorsey and or a young offensive minded coach.  So McCarthy of Riley.  I would go with Riley 

  • The browns are going to go one of two ways. Either a coach that has ties to Dorsey and or a young offensive minded coach.  So McCarthy of Riley.  I would go with Riley 

    @babernakle said:

    The browns are going to go one of two ways. Either a coach that has ties to Dorsey and or a young offensive minded coach.  So McCarthy of Riley.  I would go with Riley 

    I would take McCarthy over Riley. 

    Just my opinion but a Superbowl winning coach over the flavor of the month college coach is a no brainer

  • @babernakle said:

    The browns are going to go one of two ways. Either a coach that has ties to Dorsey and or a young offensive minded coach.  So McCarthy of Riley.  I would go with Riley 

    I would take McCarthy over Riley. 

    Just my opinion but a Superbowl winning coach over the flavor of the month college coach is a no brainer

    @browns149 said:

    I would take McCarthy over Riley. 

    Just my opinion but a Superbowl winning coach over the flavor of the month college coach is a no brainer

    Or neither 

  • @browns149 said:

    I would take McCarthy over Riley. 

    Just my opinion but a Superbowl winning coach over the flavor of the month college coach is a no brainer

    Or neither 

    @the-gipper said:

    Or neither 

    If it was down to those 2 then its McCarthy hands down

  • @the-gipper said:

    Or neither 

    If it was down to those 2 then its McCarthy hands down

    @browns149 said:

    If it was down to those 2 then its McCarthy hands down

    It’s not down to those twoIt’s not down to those two

  • @browns149 said:

    If it was down to those 2 then its McCarthy hands down

    It’s not down to those twoIt’s not down to those two

    @the-gipper said:

    It’s not down to those twoIt’s not down to those two

    I know that at this point.  But you never know what the future holds