targeting the secondary in the draft....
-
He was a pretty decent CB with 6'1" size in a predominantly passing league. I thought if was a smart move to trade up into the 4th round to get him.
-
-
I was shocked Wilson lasted until the 4th...
I don't see us drafting 2ndary players either Days 1 or 2 in 2019.
-
He was a pretty decent CB with 6'1" size in a predominantly passing league. I thought if was a smart move to trade up into the 4th round to get him.
He was a pretty decent CB with 6'1" size in a predominantly passing league. I thought if was a smart move to trade up into the 4th round to get him.
Yea, sure, for a guy that has not done Bo Diddley for this team in the two years he has been here. (Or has it been longer?)
Is there a single Browns fan who has any confidence in this guys future with this team? Especially since he was not a Dorsey pick....unless he really can prove something, he could be shipped out as soon as he is able to.
-
Here's an idea: Draft this punter. He just set a new NCAA mark and depending upon how he does in the last game against LSU, he is on pace to break the all-time single season punting average. He leads in the Ray Guy Award too.
-When Braden Mann connected on a 60-yard punt in the first quarter, he broke the NCAA single-season record of 60+-yard punts with 15.
-
In FA and the draft and in no particular order........again 3 or 4 real need positions, must pick well again without #1 & 4.
OL x2 <---- maybe there available
CB
WR x2 <---- maybe there also
S
OLB
Cleveland might be a more desirable place for some select FAs after the 2018 season so far.....that might help. Remember how every available better QB signed elsewhere last year?
Now maybe picking out of the top 10 or 5 might seem strange but then again what decent FAs want a team that's "on the clock".
........edit, oh also getting closer to seeing who will be sitting out this years bowl game season
-
-
Steelers do well with a sh1tty secondary.
Historically they have invested the great bulk of their picks and money in their front 7. Also helps they have an offense that can keep pace with others should a team attack their secondary. But make no mistake, they're going to run up against a team that will make them pay for how bad their DB's are.
-
DL round 1, that's the runD problem. Pick one of the top DL's, I'd go with more DT over DE because if Ogbah isn't elite he's pretty close.
OL round 2 - at a minimum Hubbard shouldn't be on that contract.
Somewhere in there we also need to upgrade the LB's.. Schobert is really our only one. Kirksey and Collins are nowhere near as good as their contracts.
After that I don't really care until they make the final roster.. Avery is only a backup because he absolutely cannot cover in space. A good backup, yes, but not a starter.
-
I know injuries have ravaged us there, but I'd argue(even without that) secondary has to be our biggest area of upgrade.
On many snaps, we have multiple guys out there who simply should not be playng meaningful snaps in th nfl. Mahomes could have thrown for 500 today had he wanted to. We have guys who can't play in space. Which in the secondary in 2018 is just asking to be attacked.
Peppers is unplayable on a decent defense. Another safety(or two...hardly been blown away be randall who granted has been hurt a lot) to get him off the field every play next year is a must. Our non-ward corners are terrible with terrible ball skills.
If we don't address the corner or safety position through FA or trade, I would select a safety second round and a corner first round.
I know injuries have ravaged us there, but I'd argue(even without that) secondary has to be our biggest area of upgrade.
On many snaps, we have multiple guys out there who simply should not be playng meaningful snaps in th nfl. Mahomes could have thrown for 500 today had he wanted to. We have guys who can't play in space. Which in the secondary in 2018 is just asking to be attacked.
Peppers is unplayable on a decent defense. Another safety(or two...hardly been blown away be randall who granted has been hurt a lot) to get him off the field every play next year is a must. Our non-ward corners are terrible with terrible ball skills.
If we don't address the corner or safety position through FA or trade, I would select a safety second round and a corner first round.
Taco, how come every time this team wins we have a better chance of seeing a UFO than you until this team loses again? If this team ever wins 3 or 4 games in a row you're going to be missing in action long enough to get your picture on the side of a milk carton.
I totally disagree with your corners statement. I thought the tandem of Terrence Mitchell and Denzel Ward is the best I've seen in quite some time, which allows Randall to play where we need him most. I'm pretty sure the air tight coverage dynamic also had Roethlisberger frustrated during his 5 turnover performance in the opener. When the quick throw dynamic was stifled, our front 7 got to Roethlisberger. The rematch didn't include that dynamic which kept our front 7 a country mile away from QB throughout the final 3 quarters of the game.
While I'm always open to adding a talented Safety - I'm not so sure SS is our biggest need (didn't you frequently post how it wasn't that important?). We know you predicted Peppers would suck so you don't want to acknowledge the way he was used at Michigan gave him the biggest learning curve while lining him up in Canada most of his rookie season did nothing to expedite the curve. You've cornered yourself into rooting for your predictions here. Just last week, Peppers' perfect timed a hit and tackle shy of the goal line during the catch ignited a goal line stand that changed the complexion of the Atlanta game. I'm not sure what the future holds but I think Dorsey can find use decent competition/depth at SS on the 2nd or 3rd day of the draft.
Aren't you also the guy that didn't want Nick Chubb, Baker Mayfield and Denzel Ward in the slots they were drafted in? They've all Earned Rookie of the Week Awards at least once while being finalists more than once. This rookie draft class you had a problem with has earned the Rookie of the Week award 7 times in the 10 games they've played. A few of those times, we had the top 2 finalists like just last week. 2 more reasons you don't want to post this week? It's okay to admit you pegged some players wrong in here this way you don't have to play hide and seek every time we have another rookie you didn't want here up for Rookie of the Week honors.
If we're going to look at the biggest need on our Defense - I think we have to get another DT that can match what Ogunjobi is doing for us so we can stop the "gash us here" bullseye. Another edge rusher and LBer wouldn't hurt. That said, I sure would like to see a badasss Right Tackle here if Robinson can keep being a pleasant surprise at LT.
-
I know injuries have ravaged us there, but I'd argue(even without that) secondary has to be our biggest area of upgrade.
On many snaps, we have multiple guys out there who simply should not be playng meaningful snaps in th nfl. Mahomes could have thrown for 500 today had he wanted to. We have guys who can't play in space. Which in the secondary in 2018 is just asking to be attacked.
Peppers is unplayable on a decent defense. Another safety(or two...hardly been blown away be randall who granted has been hurt a lot) to get him off the field every play next year is a must. Our non-ward corners are terrible with terrible ball skills.
If we don't address the corner or safety position through FA or trade, I would select a safety second round and a corner first round.
Taco, how come every time this team wins we have a better chance of seeing a UFO than you until this team loses again? If this team ever wins 3 or 4 games in a row you're going to be missing in action long enough to get your picture on the side of a milk carton.
I totally disagree with your corners statement. I thought the tandem of Terrence Mitchell and Denzel Ward is the best I've seen in quite some time, which allows Randall to play where we need him most. I'm pretty sure the air tight coverage dynamic also had Roethlisberger frustrated during his 5 turnover performance in the opener. When the quick throw dynamic was stifled, our front 7 got to Roethlisberger. The rematch didn't include that dynamic which kept our front 7 a country mile away from QB throughout the final 3 quarters of the game.
While I'm always open to adding a talented Safety - I'm not so sure SS is our biggest need (didn't you frequently post how it wasn't that important?). We know you predicted Peppers would suck so you don't want to acknowledge the way he was used at Michigan gave him the biggest learning curve while lining him up in Canada most of his rookie season did nothing to expedite the curve. You've cornered yourself into rooting for your predictions here. Just last week, Peppers' perfect timed a hit and tackle shy of the goal line during the catch ignited a goal line stand that changed the complexion of the Atlanta game. I'm not sure what the future holds but I think Dorsey can find use decent competition/depth at SS on the 2nd or 3rd day of the draft.
Aren't you also the guy that didn't want Nick Chubb, Baker Mayfield and Denzel Ward in the slots they were drafted in? They've all Earned Rookie of the Week Awards at least once while being finalists more than once. This rookie draft class you had a problem with has earned the Rookie of the Week award 7 times in the 10 games they've played. A few of those times, we had the top 2 finalists like just last week. 2 more reasons you don't want to post this week? It's okay to admit you pegged some players wrong in here this way you don't have to play hide and seek every time we have another rookie you didn't want here up for Rookie of the Week honors.
If we're going to look at the biggest need on our Defense - I think we have to get another DT that can match what Ogunjobi is doing for us so we can stop the "gash us here" bullseye. Another edge rusher and LBer wouldn't hurt. That said, I sure would like to see a badasss Right Tackle here if Robinson can keep being a pleasant surprise at LT.
While I'm always open to adding a talented Safety - I'm not so sure SS is our biggest need (didn't you frequently post how it wasn't that important?). We know you predicted Peppers would suck so you don't want to acknowledge the way he was used at Michigan gave him the biggest learning curve while lining him up in Canada most of his rookie season did nothing to expedite the curve. You've cornered yourself into rooting for your predictions here. Just last week, Peppers' perfect timed a hit and tackle shy of the goal line during the catch ignited a goal line stand that changed the complexion of the Atlanta game.

-
We really may be in a position to go bpa, and l keep hearing this is a deep draft for DL which l agree we need.
But if bpa happens to be another position then go for it.
I’m actually quite interested in seeing what we have in store for offseason development snd retainment of current players. Like l’d like to see our strength and conditioning coach move in with Des Harrison and Austin Corbett and get those guys up to speed for next year.
-
While I'm always open to adding a talented Safety - I'm not so sure SS is our biggest need (didn't you frequently post how it wasn't that important?). We know you predicted Peppers would suck so you don't want to acknowledge the way he was used at Michigan gave him the biggest learning curve while lining him up in Canada most of his rookie season did nothing to expedite the curve. You've cornered yourself into rooting for your predictions here. Just last week, Peppers' perfect timed a hit and tackle shy of the goal line during the catch ignited a goal line stand that changed the complexion of the Atlanta game.


Easy there, hoss. I know you got half a chubby over him being our 5th ranked defender but he still grades in the 'average' category. First round picks need to be a bit more than that, so lets see what happens over the back half of this season and the pivotal 3rd season.
But you said we would be getting an elite player - which he is not yet. That said, I am encouraged by some of his progress. In short, at ease.
-

Easy there, hoss. I know you got half a chubby over him being our 5th ranked defender but he still grades in the 'average' category. First round picks need to be a bit more than that, so lets see what happens over the back half of this season and the pivotal 3rd season.
But you said we would be getting an elite player - which he is not yet. That said, I am encouraged by some of his progress. In short, at ease.
Easy there, hoss. I know you got half a chubby over him being our 5th ranked defender but he still grades in the 'average' category. First round picks need to be a bit more than that, so lets see what happens over the back half of this season and the pivotal 3rd season.
But you said we would be getting an elite player - which he is not yet. That said, I am encouraged by some of his progress. In short, at ease.
- I'm more enjoying someone calling out Taco on his overly biased BS. Hell, the guy was even Sheet talking Randall
- 60+ is average. 70+ is above average. Pep got a 69.9...... sure, round that down to average, lol.
- I'm not sure I ever said elite, definitely not to start. That being said, I sure as hell would have never said he'd excel 35 yards off the ball as a deep safety. Now he's playing in his element and it shows. Just lost some time developing unfortunately. Basically most of what I said when he came out, but it is hard to see that through some of the outrage on here.
In short, I wasn't implying what you think I was
-
Peppers has been doing a good job in the strong safety position.
Was he worth a first rounder? No, not at all. His production at a position made less important in a passing league could have been found by a competent 4th rounder.
That isn't Peppers fault. He's doing a good job.
-
I agree.
While he shouldn't have been selected when we did, that doesn't make him a bad player just because he doesn't measure up to peoples expectations.
-
He's a really good mediocre player.
-
Ward, Randall and Peppers are three of our highest rated players and they will all be back under contract, as will Mitchell and Carrie.
Love to get another stud opposite Ward, but Tackle, WR. DT, OLB are also needs, and we can use another pass rusher.
It all depends on who the head coach is, who his coordinators are, how we play out the season, where we drafft and who we sign in free agency ... so that's why I don't play the draft game until April.
Z
-
Peppers has been doing a good job in the strong safety position.
Was he worth a first rounder? No, not at all. His production at a position made less important in a passing league could have been found by a competent 4th rounder.
That isn't Peppers fault. He's doing a good job.
position made less important in a passing league could have been found by a competent 4th rounder.
I disagree and I will give you my reason.
The modern safety that Peppers was drafted in the mold of is being asked to play nickel backer, often times getting man on looks with slot receivers and TE's. Then quite differently might play a more traditional role, attacking the LoS and creating that 8 man front. Depending on scheme he can be the vice or run force player. So either he secures the tackle as it is spilled to him or he turns everything back inside to pursuit. Then there is being asked to play back on a hash in coverages ranging from 1/2, 1/4, 1/3 field reads or straight man coverage.
New SS is an important position because it is a crucial matchup piece in the right defense. However it is manned by undersized LB's or oversized safety tweeners at the collegiate level. The role is very common now, so much like oversized WR's that become TE's... There is great value to be found outside of the first round.
-
I agree.
While he shouldn't have been selected when we did, that doesn't make him a bad player just because he doesn't measure up to peoples expectations.
I agree.
While he shouldn't have been selected when we did, that doesn't make him a bad player just because he doesn't measure up to peoples expectations.
As I see it.....last year he played totally out of position, ergo partially the reason for his suckitude. The other part of the reason is that he just was possibly overrated. Now he seems to be doing a competent job; but, I don't think he is going to be getting any votes for the Pro Bowl....which, quite frankly is what we expected from him....Pro Bowl DB performance. Getting mid-range NFL player performance is what we are getting...which is, I guess, what we will have to be satisfied with.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login