Skip to content

Greg WIlliams being interviewed for the HC position.

The Browns Board
59 23 1.8k 1
  • if he wants it, yes absolutely. It was t long ago tho that there was a question if he even wanted to HC again in the nfl. 

  • Keep winning and I bet it becomes his job. One game = /= getting the permanent gig.

  • only thing that bothers me is his persona he displayed on hard knocks and has also shown in the past with other teams is that pounding your fist on the table Sheet will get old after awhile and i'm afraid that the players would tune him out 

  • Sorry I don't have the link. It may have been Yahoo Sports. Frankly, here is my 2 cents. The players like him, the team looked better than they have at any time since 1999. He is already accepted by the fans and community, he has as much experience as anyone else, and God knows he has passion, even from Ghoolie-ness about him.

    his seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?  Give the guy the reins and the job. WHy disrupt this team any more than it already has been? I say, screw the outsiders, give the guy his shot.

    @ghoolie said:

    Sorry I don't have the link. It may have been Yahoo Sports. Frankly, here is my 2 cents. The players like him, the team looked better than they have at any time since 1999. He is already accepted by the fans and community, he has as much experience as anyone else, and God knows he has passion, even from Ghoolie-ness about him.

    his seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?  Give the guy the reins and the job. WHy disrupt this team any more than it already has been? I say, screw the outsiders, give the guy his shot.

    I think the report was that in Dorsey's interview that Williams would be interviewed.....but that he would not necessarily be the only...or even leading candidate.  

    I don't think anything in that regard will be moved on until after the season is over.

  • only thing that bothers me is his persona he displayed on hard knocks and has also shown in the past with other teams is that pounding your fist on the table Sheet will get old after awhile and i'm afraid that the players would tune him out 

    @atom said:

    only thing that bothers me is his persona he displayed on hard knocks and has also shown in the past with other teams is that pounding your fist on the table Sheet will get old after awhile and i'm afraid that the players would tune him out 

    That’s kinda what l thought on the matter when the prospect of him being made HC came up in what-if scenarios. The whole yelling and F bomb schtick didn’t strike me as HC material.

    I heard one report that he has softened his demeanor some since taking the job though, so who knows? No need to press the decision before the off season.

  • The players seem to respond to Williams in a positive way. I'm with Ghoolie....if we win at least 3 of the last 6 games, I would give him the job. You guys who worry about his personality: We don't know how the guy is with players. We only know what we see and hear through the media. The local media has a way of distorting everything to be negative. I guess it's more interesting that way. Here's a what if scenario....what if we get rid of Williams, hire a new HC, and he sucks?...back to the same old crap. If Williams is not HC material, we will find out by the end of the season.

  • The players seem to respond to Williams in a positive way. I'm with Ghoolie....if we win at least 3 of the last 6 games, I would give him the job. You guys who worry about his personality: We don't know how the guy is with players. We only know what we see and hear through the media. The local media has a way of distorting everything to be negative. I guess it's more interesting that way. Here's a what if scenario....what if we get rid of Williams, hire a new HC, and he sucks?...back to the same old crap. If Williams is not HC material, we will find out by the end of the season.

    @lodilobo said:

    The players seem to respond to Williams in a positive way. I'm with Ghoolie....if we win at least 3 of the last 6 games, I would give him the job. You guys who worry about his personality: We don't know how the guy is with players. We only know what we see and hear through the media. The local media has a way of distorting everything to be negative. I guess it's more interesting that way. Here's a what if scenario....what if we get rid of Williams, hire a new HC, and he sucks?...back to the same old crap. If Williams is not HC material, we will find out by the end of the season.

    thing is we don't know what is going on in the locker room but one for sure it looks as if kitchens and mayfield have bonded well and i would hate to see that relationship disrupted 

  • Too early to decide that at this point, have to see how the rest of the season plays out.   Certainly wouldn't rule it out as long as the team continues to look as they have in the 2 games under Williams.

  • Apparently EVERYTHING Ghoolie has been spewing about Williams can be conveniently forgotten with one victory over the Falcons. 

    Laughable. 

  • There's very little chance Williams will be the coach.

    Dorsey already knows who he wants as coach in several different scenarios.  

    No more shotgun marriages.  

     - Kitchens is doing an admirable job also BTW.

  • There's very little chance Williams will be the coach.

    Dorsey already knows who he wants as coach in several different scenarios.  

    No more shotgun marriages.  

     - Kitchens is doing an admirable job also BTW.

    @orion said:

    There's very little chance Williams will be the coach.

    Dorsey already knows who he wants as coach in several different scenarios.  

    No more shotgun marriages.  

     - Kitchens is doing an admirable job also BTW.

    But you have to be practical... Never say never.  Should the Browns go .500 the rest of the way out, and don't get blown out in some losses, Williams has to be given serious consideration for the HC job.   

  • Agreed.  Why get rid of someone who is performing?

  • I saw Dorsey’s press conference. He praised both Williams and Kitchens. He also stressed that there is a lot of football to be played yet this season and that is what he wants to focus on for now. 

  • @orion said:

    There's very little chance Williams will be the coach.

    Dorsey already knows who he wants as coach in several different scenarios.  

    No more shotgun marriages.  

     - Kitchens is doing an admirable job also BTW.

    But you have to be practical... Never say never.  Should the Browns go .500 the rest of the way out, and don't get blown out in some losses, Williams has to be given serious consideration for the HC job.   

    @hoorta said:

    But you have to be practical... Never say never.  Should the Browns go .500 the rest of the way out, and don't get blown out in some losses, Williams has to be given serious consideration for the HC job.   

    You are right, it isn't an impossibility. 

    I just can't see Dorsey hitching his wagon to Greg Williams as head coach, because if it doesn't work out, Dorsey will be leaving town with Williams. 

    We'll see. 

  • @hoorta said:

    But you have to be practical... Never say never.  Should the Browns go .500 the rest of the way out, and don't get blown out in some losses, Williams has to be given serious consideration for the HC job.   

    You are right, it isn't an impossibility. 

    I just can't see Dorsey hitching his wagon to Greg Williams as head coach, because if it doesn't work out, Dorsey will be leaving town with Williams. 

    We'll see. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    You are right, it isn't an impossibility. 

    I just can't see Dorsey hitching his wagon to Greg Williams as head coach, because if it doesn't work out, Dorsey will be leaving town with Williams. 

    We'll see. 

    Maybe we have to see who is in the available/ready to go job pool of potential head coaches also. Cleveland might be a better job after the 2018 season compared to previous years.

  • @orion said:

    There's very little chance Williams will be the coach.

    Dorsey already knows who he wants as coach in several different scenarios.  

    No more shotgun marriages.  

     - Kitchens is doing an admirable job also BTW.

    But you have to be practical... Never say never.  Should the Browns go .500 the rest of the way out, and don't get blown out in some losses, Williams has to be given serious consideration for the HC job.   

    @hoorta said:

    But you have to be practical... Never say never. 

    But I didn't say never.  I said very little chance.  -  That's my opinion.  -  Dorsey said that he thinks about it all the time...in his car...etc.  And that he KNOWS he has to get this right.  I just think it's too coincidental that the coach that he's wanted since last year around this time, when he got here, is Williams.  And you KNOW he's been thinking about who he'd want as HC all along.  Dorsey has known since day one that Hue could possibly be fired during or after this season.  

    Now, if the team wins 5 of the last 6 games, then, the interview with Williams takes on a little more serious tone.  Or perhaps Haslam, in his finite wisdom, will dictate that Williams be HC.

  • I agree, if this team keeps performing at this level under him? You definitely keep the guy and give him even more talent to work with. 

  • Apparently EVERYTHING Ghoolie has been spewing about Williams can be conveniently forgotten with one victory over the Falcons. 

    Laughable. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Apparently EVERYTHING Ghoolie has been spewing about Williams can be conveniently forgotten with one victory over the Falcons. 

    Laughable. 

    You are like CNN. Regardless of reality, you cling to your narrative and childish bitterness.

    Here is the deal pimple-nutz, the sun sets, the sun rises, the qorld.turns, and time marches on.

    I would have never hired Williams for the very reasons I stated. Now, all that I said about him is true, but also true is that qe live.in a different world than we did a few weeks ago.

    The team has responded in a way that nobody, for sure I would never have expected. It makes.perfect sense that if the guy can keep that spirit alive, all the caveats about him get flushed.

    Enough new starts and rebuilds. This team may very wellnot lose another game this year.

    Give Williams a shot.

  • If he finishes off with 4 wins in the last 6 games........................hire him if he wants it.  Sorry I will be in R.I. the weekend of the Texans game. Memorial service for wife's favorite cousin who died suddenly. But the Denver game is carried by NFL Network on the 15th. Looking forward to watching that. I know exactly where to look for my nephew now.?

    http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2018/REG/Browns

  • the odds are just not that great.. https://www.indeonline.com/sports/20181115/browns-coaching-search-what-history-of-interim-coaches-says-about-gregg-williams-chances    but the guy holding the coaching keys, was Dorsey's best choice. Williams 'has' these players backs..No better time than now, to see if this team will run through a wall for Williams then now..