Skip to content

MNF - A look at Houston

The Browns Board
55 18 1.6k
  • Man idk about this Texans game..

    They can rush 4 and bring pressure to Mayfield while they drop 7 into coverage and take away the open spaces on the field..

    Gonna need to ground and pound them and force them to stack the box, hit them with some play actions, and keep the pocket clean..

    Easier said than done against Watt, Clowney, and Co.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @domcucch1994 said:

    Man idk about this Texans game..

    They can rush 4 and bring pressure to Mayfield while they drop 7 into coverage and take away the open spaces on the field..

    Gonna need to ground and pound them and force them to stack the box, hit them with some play actions, and keep the pocket clean..

    Easier said than done against Watt, Clowney, and Co.

    What you are saying is that the DATs are a good team?  Healthy JJ Watt...and Clowney et al on that D-Line can be formidable for sure.  Two top notch WRs....and a capable QB and RB.  They seem like a fairly complete team.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Texans present every bit the threat to KC as NE does because they have a pass rush and the ability to score and/or grind clock.  They're looking like a top 10 team the last few weeks.  In reality I just want to be competitive and gauge Baker's growth over this little winning streak.  

    I'll be honest I expect to see some bad Baker like during our 4 game skid,  but so long as it isn't gunslinger,  we could* have a shot headed into the 4th qtr. 

    Hopkins and DT present an interesting matchup for us.   Does Ward shadow DT and Hop gets the double thrown his way or vice versa...? 

  • Texans present every bit the threat to KC as NE does because they have a pass rush and the ability to score and/or grind clock.  They're looking like a top 10 team the last few weeks.  In reality I just want to be competitive and gauge Baker's growth over this little winning streak.  

    I'll be honest I expect to see some bad Baker like during our 4 game skid,  but so long as it isn't gunslinger,  we could* have a shot headed into the 4th qtr. 

    Hopkins and DT present an interesting matchup for us.   Does Ward shadow DT and Hop gets the double thrown his way or vice versa...? 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @tiamat63 said:

    Texans present every bit the threat to KC as NE does because they have a pass rush and the ability to score and/or grind clock.  They're looking like a top 10 team the last few weeks.  In reality I just want to be competitive and gauge Baker's growth over this little winning streak.  

    I'll be honest I expect to see some bad Baker like during our 4 game skid,  but so long as it isn't gunslinger,  we could* have a shot headed into the 4th qtr. 

    Hopkins and DT present an interesting matchup for us.   Does Ward shadow DT and Hop gets the double thrown his way or vice versa...? 

    Didn't the Patriots beat the Texans earlier this year....ergo gaining that advantage in case their records end up tied?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Texans present every bit the threat to KC as NE does because they have a pass rush and the ability to score and/or grind clock.  They're looking like a top 10 team the last few weeks.  In reality I just want to be competitive and gauge Baker's growth over this little winning streak.  

    I'll be honest I expect to see some bad Baker like during our 4 game skid,  but so long as it isn't gunslinger,  we could* have a shot headed into the 4th qtr. 

    Hopkins and DT present an interesting matchup for us.   Does Ward shadow DT and Hop gets the double thrown his way or vice versa...? 

    Didn't the Patriots beat the Texans earlier this year....ergo gaining that advantage in case their records end up tied?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @the-gipper said:

    Didn't the Patriots beat the Texans earlier this year....ergo gaining that advantage in case their records end up tied?

    Can't remember and too lazy to look it up. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Didn't the Patriots beat the Texans earlier this year....ergo gaining that advantage in case their records end up tied?

    Can't remember and too lazy to look it up. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @tiamat63 said:

    Can't remember and too lazy to look it up. 

    OK lazy  bones.   I did look it up, and yes,   Pats beat DATs  27-20 in the first game of the season.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #26

    The effortlessness with which watt takes grown a-ss men who are good at their job, back into the QB is profoundly frightening. He is "easily" the best DE in the league. Firget stats, the impact that guy has on offenses is just staggering. Mariota didnt have a clean drop the entire night, his back foot would hit and he'd immediately step up. Immediately.

    The timing disruption of a power edge rusher like that cannot be overstated. Then throw clowney in there stunting or swimming back to the inside and its nightmarish.

    Our entire route tree has to be altered for sunday. This isnt good edge rushers getting home a few times, this is pressure that will be in bakers face on EVERY SINGLE DOWN that watt and clowney are in there for. 2 srconds and the ball has to come out. Watt can sleepwalk into bakers magnetic field on every play with just his bull.

    If he's feeling it next sunday and wants to set some records, i dont think it can be stopped unless the defense plays so well that we can wear the texans front 7 down with chubb the whole day. The texans offense gets up early and those edges will just come for baker

  • @hoorta said:

    Yes, but the rest of their schedule is a relative cakewalk....   Jets, Jags, Giants, Redskins, Colts...   

    Me and Hoorta will have to bring some good luck to the Browns by being there in person

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @the-gipper said:

    Me and Hoorta will have to bring some good luck to the Browns by being there in person

    That was the Titans remaining games Gip. They could run the table. Have to think the Chargers are a near lock for one of the wild cards. 🙁

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #28

    I don’t see real playoff opportunities but I do see some big time spoiler opportunities. We put a real kink in sinci and can hurt the Texans. Short week for them after a big division win. We catch em flat and put watt in traction along with a surprise to all but me win!  

  • I don’t see real playoff opportunities but I do see some big time spoiler opportunities. We put a real kink in sinci and can hurt the Texans. Short week for them after a big division win. We catch em flat and put watt in traction along with a surprise to all but me win!  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I don’t see real playoff opportunities but I do see some big time spoiler opportunities. We put a real kink in sinci and can hurt the Texans. Short week for them after a big division win. We catch em flat and put watt in traction along with a surprise to all but me win!  

    Texans lost their first 3 games and are now on an 8 game winning streak. Their outside rushers are A+ and their inside DTs are A. This will be a tough team to move the ball on for sure. They have the kind of D that I hope we continue to build with the Browns.

  • Clowney & Watt may not attack our middle of O-line? Tenn OL has 2 good T's, early, both were attacking Tenn.weak'ish inside O-line. Our Tackles better pack their hard hats..I'll look later at Adoree's mph speed..dude was putting them up & down in a blur...Lotta of Duke & our TE's may work well on O? but we can't use them protecting our T's all game..

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Will be interesting to see if we assign DeAndre Hopkins to Ward or double Hopkins and put Ward on their #2, Demaryius Thomas. Personally I think the latter is the better option. Should contain Hopkins while eliminating Thomas and without a #2 WR chipping in HOU has struggled.

    @gumby73 said:

    Clowney & Watt may not attack our middle of O-line? Tenn OL has 2 good T's, early, both were attacking Tenn.weak'ish inside O-line. Our Tackles better pack their hard hats..I'll look later at Adoree's mph speed..dude was putting them up & down in a blur...Lotta of Duke & our TE's may work well on O? but we can't use them protecting our T's all game..

    Overlooked in the Watt-Clowney buzz is the return to form of Christian Covington. He was hurt earlier in the season, missed a few starts and was being slowly worked back into the rotation.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Last year Kevin Hogan was starting for the Browns vs. the Texans. 

    Man, how things have changed. 

  • GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Fauck Deschitt and fauxk JJ Twat. Go Browns. 5-6-1 right aroind the corner.

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by flyingfooldoug
    #33

    I still remember a delayed draw up the gut that dashed Houston’s season years ago when they were the oilers. Time to show the new greasers how it’s done.  This December our Browns will be dashing through playoff hopes and playing grinch for other teams

  • Fauck Deschitt and fauxk JJ Twat. Go Browns. 5-6-1 right aroind the corner.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @ghoolie said:

    Fauck Deschitt and fauxk JJ Twat.

    Even Luck has tried 😉... PvpF.gif     Like it or not, former owner Bob McNair built the Texans the right way. Good GM, than found a coach to lead boys into men. 26 drafted with 11 more of Houston's own UDFA's still on roster..Dorsey got this draft right. Now let's build some back to back drafts...if Gregg Williams can win here? ?-out  

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Something to look for in DL play from Myles. See if there is a repeat of what Cincy got away with.

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Browns-Film-Room-How-Defensive-End-Myles-Garrett-is-Making-an-Impact-125497878/

  • GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #36

     As digital/social media has exploded we have seen a proportional explosion of new analytical approaches. I will say it up front, I have no respect or use for what I call "almost statistics". The first time I heard the phrases "Passes defensed" I recognized the birth of mental masturbation onto the world of sports.

    I used to lament that the only reason announcers dubbed Bernie as "the smartest" QB is because they would have sounded stupid talkong about his athletic prowess.

    So too are these "almost" stats being applied to Myles. Now, I have been critical of the kid and i am not going to bash him, however, this business of "almost" statistics does not bode well for q guy taken #1  #1. Nobody was interested in him for "look howany times he almost got there".

    I will contest these videos by pointing out that in a majority of them, where Myles got an "almost" or a "he beat his man" nod, Dalton completed his pass. So what value are these "almost" numbers?

    Comparatively, I have never seen JJ Watt held up by "almost" statistics. He is always shown blasting someone, disrupting the opponents offense and sucking up big gobs of momentum.

    Myles was drafted to be a disruptive force, and to sack quarterbacks. To me, he gets a B- rating. If he was drafted in the later rounds his performance would be more than acceptable.

    I'm not shredding him here, but he is not a monster of the midway. I don't see that the process of learning the game is going to turn him into one either. He is fast and agile but I believe for him to be maximally effective the Browns will need to acquire a real monster for the middle of rhe DL.

  • Last year Kevin Hogan was starting for the Browns vs. the Texans. 

    Man, how things have changed. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #37

    @dutch-oven said:

    Last year Kevin Hogan was starting for the Browns vs. the Texans. 

    Man, how things have changed. 

    Kevin Hogan

    Kevin Michael Hogan  (The Gunslinger) <---- nice nickname 

    Position: QB Throws: Right

    6-3, 218lb (190cm, 98kg)

    Team: Denver Broncos  has he even played this year?

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #38

    That Texas helmet logo? Two steers queering. 

  •  As digital/social media has exploded we have seen a proportional explosion of new analytical approaches. I will say it up front, I have no respect or use for what I call "almost statistics". The first time I heard the phrases "Passes defensed" I recognized the birth of mental masturbation onto the world of sports.

    I used to lament that the only reason announcers dubbed Bernie as "the smartest" QB is because they would have sounded stupid talkong about his athletic prowess.

    So too are these "almost" stats being applied to Myles. Now, I have been critical of the kid and i am not going to bash him, however, this business of "almost" statistics does not bode well for q guy taken #1  #1. Nobody was interested in him for "look howany times he almost got there".

    I will contest these videos by pointing out that in a majority of them, where Myles got an "almost" or a "he beat his man" nod, Dalton completed his pass. So what value are these "almost" numbers?

    Comparatively, I have never seen JJ Watt held up by "almost" statistics. He is always shown blasting someone, disrupting the opponents offense and sucking up big gobs of momentum.

    Myles was drafted to be a disruptive force, and to sack quarterbacks. To me, he gets a B- rating. If he was drafted in the later rounds his performance would be more than acceptable.

    I'm not shredding him here, but he is not a monster of the midway. I don't see that the process of learning the game is going to turn him into one either. He is fast and agile but I believe for him to be maximally effective the Browns will need to acquire a real monster for the middle of rhe DL.

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @ghoolie said:

     As digital/social media has exploded we have seen a proportional explosion of new analytical approaches. I will say it up front, I have no respect or use for what I call "almost statistics". The first time I heard the phrases "Passes defensed" I recognized the birth of mental masturbation onto the world of sports.

    I used to lament that the only reason announcers dubbed Bernie as "the smartest" QB is because they would have sounded stupid talkong about his athletic prowess.

    So too are these "almost" stats being applied to Myles. Now, I have been critical of the kid and i am not going to bash him, however, this business of "almost" statistics does not bode well for q guy taken #1  #1. Nobody was interested in him for "look howany times he almost got there".

    I will contest these videos by pointing out that in a majority of them, where Myles got an "almost" or a "he beat his man" nod, Dalton completed his pass. So what value are these "almost" numbers?

    Comparatively, I have never seen JJ Watt held up by "almost" statistics. He is always shown blasting someone, disrupting the opponents offense and sucking up big gobs of momentum.

    Myles was drafted to be a disruptive force, and to sack quarterbacks. To me, he gets a B- rating. If he was drafted in the later rounds his performance would be more than acceptable.

    I'm not shredding him here, but he is not a monster of the midway. I don't see that the process of learning the game is going to turn him into one either. He is fast and agile but I believe for him to be maximally effective the Browns will need to acquire a real monster for the middle of rhe DL.

    There will be people on this board that will immediately disagree with your stance simply because of their past correspondences with you, and that’s their right.  However, I’m actually somewhat on your side regarding Myles Garrett, although probably not quite as harsh on him. 

    I’ve said repeatedly that I am VERY harsh on Myles Garrett, BUT I also freaking LOVE the guy.  He plays hurt, he plays a ton of snaps, he puts in the work, and he’s obviously respected around the league.  That being said, I still want MORE from him.  Myles Garrett could’ve actually cost us the first game of the season against Pittsburgh.  Now of course there’s no way to know if his block in the back cost us, but it could’ve, and it was literally the dumbest, most unnecessary penalty I’ve seen in quite some time.  His penalty negated a 27 yard FG, and turned it into a 41 yard FG (or something like that, I don’t remember the exact numbers).  Our kick was eventually blocked, so maybe it would’ve been blocked from 27 yards, as it was from 41, but again…why?  Psychologically, a FG in the 20’s is like a sure thing.  So frustrating. It’s also worth point out that we were in position to kick that FG BECAUSE OF Garrett, so let’s not forget that, too (I THINK Myles was the defender that hit Ben when he threw it to Schobert?) Also, Garrett has been guilty of multiple offsides penalties, several being VERY costly, including one last week. 

    I want to reiterate that I am in NO WAY hating on Myles Garrett.  He’s my second favorite player on the team, and I love so many things about him.  The guy has 10 freaking sacks for crying out loud, and he literally makes the offense account for him on most of their plays.  I give Myles Garrett a very solid “B+” right now, and the only reasons he’s not at an “A” is because of the penalties, and the abundance of the “almost got there” plays.  When we get into a close game, and they’re coming btw, the outcome could literally be decided by one or two plays.  We need our #1 pick to hold onto the QB’s jersey for the sack, to NOT run right by the QB when he isn’t touched by the LT, to get another strip-sack or two, to burst through on the 4th and shorts….whatever, you get the point.  Myles Garrett can easily get an “A” rating from me if he can find a way to create the game-changing plays during the last 5 games. 

    Yes, I’m being very tough on Myles.  But you know what?  I’m nowhere near as tough on him as HE IS, and that’s a great thing.  We need a handful of “big plays” from him in these next 5 games, and I believe he can do it.  Check back in at the end of the year, and I’m confident he’ll get the “A” on his report card.  But we need the impact plays to start this week, and we need to play better than ever to beat this Houston team . 

  • @ghoolie said:

     As digital/social media has exploded we have seen a proportional explosion of new analytical approaches. I will say it up front, I have no respect or use for what I call "almost statistics". The first time I heard the phrases "Passes defensed" I recognized the birth of mental masturbation onto the world of sports.

    I used to lament that the only reason announcers dubbed Bernie as "the smartest" QB is because they would have sounded stupid talkong about his athletic prowess.

    So too are these "almost" stats being applied to Myles. Now, I have been critical of the kid and i am not going to bash him, however, this business of "almost" statistics does not bode well for q guy taken #1  #1. Nobody was interested in him for "look howany times he almost got there".

    I will contest these videos by pointing out that in a majority of them, where Myles got an "almost" or a "he beat his man" nod, Dalton completed his pass. So what value are these "almost" numbers?

    Comparatively, I have never seen JJ Watt held up by "almost" statistics. He is always shown blasting someone, disrupting the opponents offense and sucking up big gobs of momentum.

    Myles was drafted to be a disruptive force, and to sack quarterbacks. To me, he gets a B- rating. If he was drafted in the later rounds his performance would be more than acceptable.

    I'm not shredding him here, but he is not a monster of the midway. I don't see that the process of learning the game is going to turn him into one either. He is fast and agile but I believe for him to be maximally effective the Browns will need to acquire a real monster for the middle of rhe DL.

    There will be people on this board that will immediately disagree with your stance simply because of their past correspondences with you, and that’s their right.  However, I’m actually somewhat on your side regarding Myles Garrett, although probably not quite as harsh on him. 

    I’ve said repeatedly that I am VERY harsh on Myles Garrett, BUT I also freaking LOVE the guy.  He plays hurt, he plays a ton of snaps, he puts in the work, and he’s obviously respected around the league.  That being said, I still want MORE from him.  Myles Garrett could’ve actually cost us the first game of the season against Pittsburgh.  Now of course there’s no way to know if his block in the back cost us, but it could’ve, and it was literally the dumbest, most unnecessary penalty I’ve seen in quite some time.  His penalty negated a 27 yard FG, and turned it into a 41 yard FG (or something like that, I don’t remember the exact numbers).  Our kick was eventually blocked, so maybe it would’ve been blocked from 27 yards, as it was from 41, but again…why?  Psychologically, a FG in the 20’s is like a sure thing.  So frustrating. It’s also worth point out that we were in position to kick that FG BECAUSE OF Garrett, so let’s not forget that, too (I THINK Myles was the defender that hit Ben when he threw it to Schobert?) Also, Garrett has been guilty of multiple offsides penalties, several being VERY costly, including one last week. 

    I want to reiterate that I am in NO WAY hating on Myles Garrett.  He’s my second favorite player on the team, and I love so many things about him.  The guy has 10 freaking sacks for crying out loud, and he literally makes the offense account for him on most of their plays.  I give Myles Garrett a very solid “B+” right now, and the only reasons he’s not at an “A” is because of the penalties, and the abundance of the “almost got there” plays.  When we get into a close game, and they’re coming btw, the outcome could literally be decided by one or two plays.  We need our #1 pick to hold onto the QB’s jersey for the sack, to NOT run right by the QB when he isn’t touched by the LT, to get another strip-sack or two, to burst through on the 4th and shorts….whatever, you get the point.  Myles Garrett can easily get an “A” rating from me if he can find a way to create the game-changing plays during the last 5 games. 

    Yes, I’m being very tough on Myles.  But you know what?  I’m nowhere near as tough on him as HE IS, and that’s a great thing.  We need a handful of “big plays” from him in these next 5 games, and I believe he can do it.  Check back in at the end of the year, and I’m confident he’ll get the “A” on his report card.  But we need the impact plays to start this week, and we need to play better than ever to beat this Houston team . 

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @jiggins7919 said:

    There will be people on this board that will immediately disagree with your stance simply because of their past correspondences with you, and that’s their right.  However, I’m actually somewhat on your side regarding Myles Garrett, although probably not quite as harsh on him. 

    I’ve said repeatedly that I am VERY harsh on Myles Garrett, BUT I also freaking LOVE the guy.  He plays hurt, he plays a ton of snaps, he puts in the work, and he’s obviously respected around the league.  That being said, I still want MORE from him.  Myles Garrett could’ve actually cost us the first game of the season against Pittsburgh.  Now of course there’s no way to know if his block in the back cost us, but it could’ve, and it was literally the dumbest, most unnecessary penalty I’ve seen in quite some time.  His penalty negated a 27 yard FG, and turned it into a 41 yard FG (or something like that, I don’t remember the exact numbers).  Our kick was eventually blocked, so maybe it would’ve been blocked from 27 yards, as it was from 41, but again…why?  Psychologically, a FG in the 20’s is like a sure thing.  So frustrating. It’s also worth point out that we were in position to kick that FG BECAUSE OF Garrett, so let’s not forget that, too (I THINK Myles was the defender that hit Ben when he threw it to Schobert?) Also, Garrett has been guilty of multiple offsides penalties, several being VERY costly, including one last week. 

    I want to reiterate that I am in NO WAY hating on Myles Garrett.  He’s my second favorite player on the team, and I love so many things about him.  The guy has 10 freaking sacks for crying out loud, and he literally makes the offense account for him on most of their plays.  I give Myles Garrett a very solid “B+” right now, and the only reasons he’s not at an “A” is because of the penalties, and the abundance of the “almost got there” plays.  When we get into a close game, and they’re coming btw, the outcome could literally be decided by one or two plays.  We need our #1 pick to hold onto the QB’s jersey for the sack, to NOT run right by the QB when he isn’t touched by the LT, to get another strip-sack or two, to burst through on the 4th and shorts….whatever, you get the point.  Myles Garrett can easily get an “A” rating from me if he can find a way to create the game-changing plays during the last 5 games. 

    Yes, I’m being very tough on Myles.  But you know what?  I’m nowhere near as tough on him as HE IS, and that’s a great thing.  We need a handful of “big plays” from him in these next 5 games, and I believe he can do it.  Check back in at the end of the year, and I’m confident he’ll get the “A” on his report card.  But we need the impact plays to start this week, and we need to play better than ever to beat this Houston team . 

    My previous take on him was nothing more than my Sergeant Carter claw back for his Jerry Jones video. It is just my way. I believe in raising a bar to the moon, and driving people to reach for it. HOWEVER....in the real world, I am supportive of people in trying to get there. I LIKE Myles Garrett. All you said about him is true, and then some. This is the kind of kid you want to draft, this is the kind of spirit you want on your team. He is a keeper.

    That said, he has not come out of the gun as a game changer a monster of the midway, a wrecking ball. He doesn't instill fear in opposing offenses the way say even James Harrison did, let alone guys like Carl Eller, Decon Jones or Mean Joe. Understand, THAT is kind of what he was packaged as.

    In support of my perception, teams are not putting a lot of double teams and/or leaving an extra back behind to pick him up. The kid is strong, but not overly so. His speed is indeed exceptional and he can be effective. A monster, he is not. He is not as good as Bosa or Watt when it comes to disruption. "Learning" the game is not going to change that. He will improve, sure, but a leopard can't change his spots. 

    So it is up to the Browns then, if they want Garrett to be more effective, to draft, acquire our own disuptor. a Branston Buckner,  a guy who IS at the focus of the opposing DC game plan. As it is, they are aware of Garrett, they are concerned with him, but he is just not enough of a force that opposing defenses are having to make adjustments to account for him.

    Does he get held? Sure, absolutely. Will that change? No, it won't. As the NFL strives to protect the QB, more holding on the outside will be tolerated. You think Watt doesn't get held a lot? Sure he does, just as much. This is not isolated to poor us. Now, does holding against Watt get called more often than it does on Garrett? i don't know, but it would not surprise me if the answer was yes. Will this change? Nope, not ever. You know it as well as I do, the BIG names get away with more than the average name. Michael Jordon's extra steps probably amounted to a trip around the world. It's just how it is. Garrett is not a sweetheart of the media like Watt or Harrison is. Myles is a nice kid, but he is not a monster. For him to really shine, he needs a monster playing on that DL.