Skip to content

MNF - A look at Houston

The Browns Board
55 18 1.6k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Missed your earlier post, tia. I think it's the most intriguing question going into the game.

    I am willing to bet that Ward can handle Thomas 1-on-1. Not so much Hopkins...

    I'm thinking thats the way we go as well.  Very similar to how we went at ATL.  Ward took away Ridley,  Carrie did a great job against a taller WR like Julio,  Hopkins isn't much smaller.  So help will be thrown his way and we take our chances elsewhere.   

    ATL had Sanu as their #3 and he got catches.     Who does Hou has as a #3option? 

    @tiamat63 said:

    I'm thinking thats the way we go as well.  Very similar to how we went at ATL.  Ward took away Ridley,  Carrie did a great job against a taller WR like Julio,  Hopkins isn't much smaller.  So help will be thrown his way and we take our chances elsewhere.   

    ATL had Sanu as their #3 and he got catches.     Who does Hou has as a #3option? 

    Houston has a decent WR core. That's Thomas over from SB Champs Denver BTW.

    14 DeAndre Carter WR  25  5 ' 8" 190 lbs 1 Sacramento State
    18 Sammie Coates Jr. WR  25  6' 1" 210 lbs 4 Auburn
    16 Keke Coutee WR  21  5' 11" 180 lbs R Texas Tech
    15 Will Fuller V WR  24  6' 0" 180 lbs 3 Notre Dame
    10 DeAndre Hopkins WR  26  6' 1" 215 lbs 6 Clemson
    17 Vyncint Smith WR  22  6' 3" 195 lbs R Limestone
    87 Demaryius Thomas WR  30  6' 3" 229 lbs 9 Georgia Tech
  • @tiamat63 said:

    I'm thinking thats the way we go as well.  Very similar to how we went at ATL.  Ward took away Ridley,  Carrie did a great job against a taller WR like Julio,  Hopkins isn't much smaller.  So help will be thrown his way and we take our chances elsewhere.   

    ATL had Sanu as their #3 and he got catches.     Who does Hou has as a #3option? 

    Houston has a decent WR core. That's Thomas over from SB Champs Denver BTW.

    14 DeAndre Carter WR  25  5 ' 8" 190 lbs 1 Sacramento State
    18 Sammie Coates Jr. WR  25  6' 1" 210 lbs 4 Auburn
    16 Keke Coutee WR  21  5' 11" 180 lbs R Texas Tech
    15 Will Fuller V WR  24  6' 0" 180 lbs 3 Notre Dame
    10 DeAndre Hopkins WR  26  6' 1" 215 lbs 6 Clemson
    17 Vyncint Smith WR  22  6' 3" 195 lbs R Limestone
    87 Demaryius Thomas WR  30  6' 3" 229 lbs 9 Georgia Tech

    @texasag1969 said:

    Houston has a decent WR core. That's Thomas over from SB Champs Denver BTW.

    14 DeAndre Carter WR  25  5 ' 8" 190 lbs 1 Sacramento State
    18 Sammie Coates Jr. WR  25  6' 1" 210 lbs 4 Auburn
    16 Keke Coutee WR  21  5' 11" 180 lbs R Texas Tech
    15 Will Fuller V WR  24  6' 0" 180 lbs 3 Notre Dame
    10 DeAndre Hopkins WR  26  6' 1" 215 lbs 6 Clemson
    17 Vyncint Smith WR  22  6' 3" 195 lbs R Limestone
    87 Demaryius Thomas WR  30  6' 3" 229 lbs 9 Georgia Tech

    Looking at that list, Ward would only be giving an inch or two away to Hopkins, Thomas is a lot bigger receiver.....  

  • Do what we do best. Get some early turnovers, to steal the mojo early.Browns Plus +14 in turnovers. Houston has put the ball on the turf, with 14 fumbles only losing ball 5 times.We got to win those. Watson has been sacked 37 times, throwing 9 picks.Blitz smart Williams & not every down.Baker has 7 picks with 22 sacks..Baker needs to continue putting the ball in spots where only our guys can catch it..Watson still can't throw a lot of those into tight windows, but thats where his WR talent helps Watson..Add we also need to continue good Tackle play, playing 2-3 animals coming from anywhere..Houston is in top 10 in penalties also with 76. Us 83, but Houston does nothing wrong at home appairently only drawing 29 flags at home. Ending a 8 game Houston win streak starts with rattling Watson's convindence..Find a way GW !!  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Houston has a decent WR core. That's Thomas over from SB Champs Denver BTW.

    14 DeAndre Carter WR  25  5 ' 8" 190 lbs 1 Sacramento State
    18 Sammie Coates Jr. WR  25  6' 1" 210 lbs 4 Auburn
    16 Keke Coutee WR  21  5' 11" 180 lbs R Texas Tech
    15 Will Fuller V WR  24  6' 0" 180 lbs 3 Notre Dame
    10 DeAndre Hopkins WR  26  6' 1" 215 lbs 6 Clemson
    17 Vyncint Smith WR  22  6' 3" 195 lbs R Limestone
    87 Demaryius Thomas WR  30  6' 3" 229 lbs 9 Georgia Tech

    Looking at that list, Ward would only be giving an inch or two away to Hopkins, Thomas is a lot bigger receiver.....  

    @hoorta said:

    Looking at that list, Ward would only be giving an inch or two away to Hopkins, Thomas is a lot bigger receiver.....  

    If they decide to match Ward up against Hopkins this will be one of those great one on one's you get to see just a few times a season.

    BTW I now get to see it here on TV, because my wife and I got so sick when we got to the airport for our trip to Boston, we had to cancel our trip. She worse than me with gastro-intestinal, but now I have a full blown sinus/lung thingy going on bad enough I'm going to the MD this morning. I rarely get sick and even more rarely take it to an MD. I hope he just says, "you put de rum in de coconut and drink it all down, you put de rum.........................." ?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I'm thinking thats the way we go as well.  Very similar to how we went at ATL.  Ward took away Ridley,  Carrie did a great job against a taller WR like Julio,  Hopkins isn't much smaller.  So help will be thrown his way and we take our chances elsewhere.   

    ATL had Sanu as their #3 and he got catches.     Who does Hou has as a #3option? 

    Houston has a decent WR core. That's Thomas over from SB Champs Denver BTW.

    14 DeAndre Carter WR  25  5 ' 8" 190 lbs 1 Sacramento State
    18 Sammie Coates Jr. WR  25  6' 1" 210 lbs 4 Auburn
    16 Keke Coutee WR  21  5' 11" 180 lbs R Texas Tech
    15 Will Fuller V WR  24  6' 0" 180 lbs 3 Notre Dame
    10 DeAndre Hopkins WR  26  6' 1" 215 lbs 6 Clemson
    17 Vyncint Smith WR  22  6' 3" 195 lbs R Limestone
    87 Demaryius Thomas WR  30  6' 3" 229 lbs 9 Georgia Tech

    @texasag1969 said:

    Houston has a decent WR core. That's Thomas over from SB Champs Denver BTW.

    14 DeAndre Carter WR  25  5 ' 8" 190 lbs 1 Sacramento State
    18 Sammie Coates Jr. WR  25  6' 1" 210 lbs 4 Auburn
    16 Keke Coutee WR  21  5' 11" 180 lbs R Texas Tech
    15 Will Fuller V WR  24  6' 0" 180 lbs 3 Notre Dame
    10 DeAndre Hopkins WR  26  6' 1" 215 lbs 6 Clemson
    17 Vyncint Smith WR  22  6' 3" 195 lbs R Limestone
    87 Demaryius Thomas WR  30  6' 3" 229 lbs 9 Georgia Tech

    Yeah,  I know that's DT. 

    I believe Ward will get him between the 20's because the hip injures throughout his career has taken away some of the footspeed.    Denzel can still play some off or bump and beat him to the spot bulk of the time. 

    In the red zone?  Might see an assignment switch. 

  • Do what we do best. Get some early turnovers, to steal the mojo early.Browns Plus +14 in turnovers. Houston has put the ball on the turf, with 14 fumbles only losing ball 5 times.We got to win those. Watson has been sacked 37 times, throwing 9 picks.Blitz smart Williams & not every down.Baker has 7 picks with 22 sacks..Baker needs to continue putting the ball in spots where only our guys can catch it..Watson still can't throw a lot of those into tight windows, but thats where his WR talent helps Watson..Add we also need to continue good Tackle play, playing 2-3 animals coming from anywhere..Houston is in top 10 in penalties also with 76. Us 83, but Houston does nothing wrong at home appairently only drawing 29 flags at home. Ending a 8 game Houston win streak starts with rattling Watson's convindence..Find a way GW !!  

    @gumby73 said:

    Do what we do best. Get some early turnovers, to steal the mojo early.Browns Plus +14 in turnovers. Houston has put the ball on the turf, with 14 fumbles only losing ball 5 times.We got to win those. Watson has been sacked 37 times, throwing 9 picks.Blitz smart Williams & not every down.Baker has 7 picks with 22 sacks..Baker needs to continue putting the ball in spots where only our guys can catch it..Watson still can't throw a lot of those into tight windows, but thats where his WR talent helps Watson..Add we also need to continue good Tackle play, playing 2-3 animals coming from anywhere..Houston is in top 10 in penalties also with 76. Us 83, but Houston does nothing wrong at home appairently only drawing 29 flags at home. Ending a 8 game Houston win streak starts with rattling Watson's convindence..Find a way GW !!  

    Nice stats, and solid points, Gumby!

    Perhaps I'm just scarred by the past and I keep waiting for the illusion of our team's improvement to dissipate, or perhaps I'm thinking back to the last time we played these guys and they literally destroyed us (Kevin Hogan, much different team, but still).  But this game seems like a real MO-FO, lol.  I’m nervously excited about the match-up, while I want a win more than ANYTHING, I’d really love to see us hang tough with them.  I realize that sounds like a loser’s mentality, and I agree that winning is obviously the goal, but hanging tough with a top 5 team at their place is no minor feat. 

    Take the Kansas City game for example.  I want to say at halftime the score was 21-16 or something close to it.  I admit the game never really FELT close because we never got them off the field, but if you’re within 5 points, that’s literally a play away from taking the lead.  Also, we had some pretty significant injuries on the defensive side of the ball, and that’s not a good thing when you’re playing against the best offense in the AFC.  Do I think we would’ve won if defensively healthy?  I won’t go THAT far, but I CAN say with certainty that it would’ve been a much tighter game, I really believe that.

    Why does this matter?  Because now we ARE healthy on defense, and we’re playing another top-rated team.  I’m eager to see how we match up against the big boys of the league, especially now that we’ve got more mojo than we’ve had in years.  What I DON’T want to see is us completely laying an egg.  Then all the talking head sport personalities will be all over the air waves saying how Baker Mayfield needs to focus on football and not social media, and he’s a distraction, and he’s not able to back it up, and blah blah blah.  If we play a solid game and still lose, that’s ok.  Frustrating perhaps, but are we really expecting to beat a team with a top 3 defense at THEIR place on the waves of an 8 game win streak?  Oddly enough, many of our fans DO think we’re going to win, and how cool does that feel?

    I’m reining in my post season enthusiasm until after this game.  I won’t even MENTION the “P” word because it’s just not time.  However, win pull out a victory this Sunday, and it’s full on “P” word mania. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Hopkins and DT present an interesting matchup for us.   Does Ward shadow DT and Hop gets the double thrown his way or vice versa...? 

    @tour2ma said:

    Will be interesting to see if we assign DeAndre Hopkins to Ward or double Hopkins and put Ward on their #2, Demaryius Thomas. Personally I think the latter is the better option. Should contain Hopkins while eliminating Thomas. Without a #2 WR chipping in... HOU has struggled.

    Missed your earlier post, tia. I think it's the most intriguing question going into the game.

    I am willing to bet that Ward can handle Thomas 1-on-1. Not so much Hopkins...

    @tour2ma said:

    Missed your earlier post, tia. I think it's the most intriguing question going into the game.

    I am willing to bet that Ward can handle Thomas 1-on-1. Not so much Hopkins...

    Sure would like to see what Ward could do 1 on 1 with Hopkins. That is what we drafted him for. If he starts getting beat then go with a double. Maybe I’m too PoG about Ward.... ?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Missed your earlier post, tia. I think it's the most intriguing question going into the game.

    I am willing to bet that Ward can handle Thomas 1-on-1. Not so much Hopkins...

    Sure would like to see what Ward could do 1 on 1 with Hopkins. That is what we drafted him for. If he starts getting beat then go with a double. Maybe I’m too PoG about Ward.... ?

    @comeonman said:

    Sure would like to see what Ward could do 1 on 1 with Hopkins. That is what we drafted him for. If he starts getting beat then go with a double. Maybe I’m too PoG about Ward.... ?

    Hopkins is filthy, but Ward is playing at a high level.  I can't believe I was actually concerned when we drafted him.  Well, not CONCERNED, but maybe a little surprised.  I was in the Bradley Chubb wagon, but it looks like both guys are set for terrific careers.  I can't imagine our team without Denzel Ward, that's for sure.  

  • @tour2ma said:

    Missed your earlier post, tia. I think it's the most intriguing question going into the game.

    I am willing to bet that Ward can handle Thomas 1-on-1. Not so much Hopkins...

    Sure would like to see what Ward could do 1 on 1 with Hopkins. That is what we drafted him for. If he starts getting beat then go with a double. Maybe I’m too PoG about Ward.... ?

    @comeonman said:

    Sure would like to see what Ward could do 1 on 1 with Hopkins. That is what we drafted him for. If he starts getting beat then go with a double. Maybe I’m too PoG about Ward.... ?

    We will soon get that opportunity and a better, tougher test than Cincinnati minus Green.

    Nice looking forward to BROWNS games again, eh?

  • @comeonman said:

    Sure would like to see what Ward could do 1 on 1 with Hopkins. That is what we drafted him for. If he starts getting beat then go with a double. Maybe I’m too PoG about Ward.... ?

    We will soon get that opportunity and a better, tougher test than Cincinnati minus Green.

    Nice looking forward to BROWNS games again, eh?

    @mjp28 said:

    We will soon get that opportunity and a better, tougher test than Cincinnati minus Green.

    Nice looking forward to BROWNS games again, eh?

    Damn sure is. They don’t have to become a dynasty overnight, just be fucking watchable for the love of god. We’re finally getting there. 

  • @comeonman said:

    Sure would like to see what Ward could do 1 on 1 with Hopkins. That is what we drafted him for. If he starts getting beat then go with a double. Maybe I’m too PoG about Ward.... ?

    We will soon get that opportunity and a better, tougher test than Cincinnati minus Green.

    Nice looking forward to BROWNS games again, eh?

    @mjp28 said:

    We will soon get that opportunity and a better, tougher test than Cincinnati minus Green.

    Nice looking forward to BROWNS games again, eh?

    Well, you make a really good point.  Obviously if we lose the playoff talk is out the window, but big deal.  We still get to play meaningful games in December, and that was definitely one of my goals for the season.  Win or lose Sunday, I'm still looking forward to the next game, and THAT'S incredibly fun.  We're going to be playing teams fighting for their playoff lives the rest of the way, so it'll be an excellent litmus test which shows us how we really stack up.  Keep winning, and Browns mania will overflow.  Heck, finish these last five games with 2 or 3 wins and I don't believe you can let Gregg Williams or Freddie Kitchens go.  The idea of having my young QB come back to the same system and coaches is extremely appealing, as is our defensive unit coming back to the same thing.  You know what's funny?  If you're another team in the NFL, I don't really think you want to see the Browns on your schedule.  We're playing loose, having fun, and the confidence is real.  Our defense takes the ball away and gets after the QB, and our offense is moving the ball through the air and on the ground.  We have ten touchdowns on our last ten trips to the red zone.  I've literally never seen anything like it, but I also want to see how we respond to getting punched in the mouth, and the Texans are known to do just that.