Stallworth Suspended
-
My take on it:
1) He is paying his debt to the family in a manner "satisfactory" to them. Enough where they did not want to pursue it any further, which by the way was probably about money, but ALSO about the manner in which he took responsibility.
2) The court also had its say and his sentence has been handed down.
3) Goodell will now review this entire manner, and I think he will review it next season. Donte' is gone for 2009, and if he stays out of trouble should be reviewed for reinstatement in 2010.
But even though I was hard on the sentencing - he got off light for felony DUI manslaughter - I think he has handled himself like a man through it all. He owned up to his mistake and never once fought the justice he had coming. To me, these fancy littlie fooking fairies we call professional athletes who get into trouble have never acted like men and took responsibility.
For what it's worth, he stood up and dealt with it openly and honestly.
-
Dude your on crack. He killed someone period. This is not this first time in trouble for Stallworth. He is enrolled in the league substance abuse program. This was a correct assessment by the Commish. Playing football is a privilege not a right.
Totally disagree, playing football is not a privilege or a right, it is a job. So think about it like this, you are working for a company that makes toys...you then get arrested, put on trial and are found guilty of a crime...you go to jail for a month and get a lot of probation...your employer has the right to fire you but he doesn't have the right to prevent you from working for another company that also makes toys. And I don't want to hear that he can work for the AFL or CFL thats like saying I have a degree in business and you want me to work at taco bell...rediculous. Now as far as him killing someone sure he did was it completely his fault heck no it wasn't otherwise they never would've offered him a plea bargin. With Stallworth's money he could've probably gotten off near scott free, but he didn't he took his punishment. Case closed
Totally disagree, playing football is not a privilege or a right, it is a job.
Commissoner of the NFL just came flat out and proved you incorrect. In fact he stated that playing in the league is a priveledge.
And by the way, he does have every right to exclude him from playing in said league. Want to play in the CFL or UFL? Go ahead.
It's not the same? Too fooking bad. Neither is the 15 year old daughter of Mr Reyes.
-
Dude your on crack. He killed someone period. This is not this first time in trouble for Stallworth. He is enrolled in the league substance abuse program. This was a correct assessment by the Commish. Playing football is a privilege not a right.
Totally disagree, playing football is not a privilege or a right, it is a job. So think about it like this, you are working for a company that makes toys...you then get arrested, put on trial and are found guilty of a crime...you go to jail for a month and get a lot of probation...your employer has the right to fire you but he doesn't have the right to prevent you from working for another company that also makes toys. And I don't want to hear that he can work for the AFL or CFL thats like saying I have a degree in business and you want me to work at taco bell...rediculous. Now as far as him killing someone sure he did was it completely his fault heck no it wasn't otherwise they never would've offered him a plea bargin. With Stallworth's money he could've probably gotten off near scott free, but he didn't he took his punishment. Case closed
Totally disagree, playing football is not a privilege or a right, it is a job. So think about it like this, you are working for a company that makes toys...you then get arrested, put on trial and are found guilty of a crime...you go to jail for a month and get a lot of probation...your employer has the right to fire you but he doesn't have the right to prevent you from working for another company that also makes toys. And I don't want to hear that he can work for the AFL or CFL thats like saying I have a degree in business and you want me to work at taco bell...rediculous. Now as far as him killing someone sure he did was it completely his fault heck no it wasn't otherwise they never would've offered him a plea bargin. With Stallworth's money he could've probably gotten off near scott free, but he didn't he took his punishment. Case closed
If he doesn't want to abide by the rules of the NFL, then tough shit. That is what HE signed up for playing for the NFL. If I was working at a toy company and they made me sign an agreement, saying even if I get fired I cannot work for another toy company even if I get fired, then those are the rules. So yes they do have the right to prevent you from working for another company, if you signed that agreement. That agreement is in everyone's NFL contract, HE SIGNED IT. Being a 7 year vet, Stallworth was well aware of those rules before getting behind the wheel of his Bentley. He can't take all the good stuff and leave the bad. Sorry man your wrong.
-
@shepwrite said:
surrender his license for at least five years.Actually he lost his license for life.
I did argue before that he got off easy. I am sort of rethinking that stand point.
-
I can pretty much say I agree with Amber, Adam, Shep, and Jclong.
Stallworth got his, he's out millions, he is in prison for 30 days (prison is prison, 30 days or 30 years, you can still become someones bitch), He's suspended for at least 8 games, he has 1000 hours of community service to do, he's on 2 years close watch and like 8 years probation, and he's never allowed to drive again for the rest of his life, ever.
That's not as light as everyone is making it out to be.
Everyone here knows I support Vick coming back to the league, he has paid his debt to society. I see each individual NFL team as a separate employer. The falcons have the right to fire him, but I don't think its fair that Goodell can restrict him from playing for any other teams, I think that should be up to each individual team.
You all keep saying, Donte killed a man... yes he did.... but it was an accident, there was no intent to harm anyone. Vick purposefully did what he did, and he intended to do it. Thats why his sentence was harsher, but as I said, he paid his debt and I support him.
Once Donte does his 30 days, he will be allowed to work again, and I see no reason why he cannot work in the NFL since it is what he is good at, and since doesnt pose any danger to society anymore, he cant drive, and Im pretty sure he's gonna be smart enough not to from here on out, many people have referred to him as an intelligent individual. Everyone makes mistakes, Donte's ended a mans life, but Donte shouldnt be forced to end his, thats the same eye for an eye thinking that will be the end of this world. As Amber said the family is content, the law is content, (Stallworth is not content, he is deeply remoreseful) so why cant the NFL and its fans be content?
Stallworth has a steep sentence as well as tough conscience from here on out, and thats going to stick with him for the rest of his life, and that is more of a punishment than any amount of prison time
-
@shepwrite said:
surrender his license for at least five years.Actually he lost his license for life.
I did argue before that he got off easy. I am sort of rethinking that stand point.
Actually he lost his license for life.
I did argue before that he got off easy. I am sort of rethinking that stand point.
Yes, he did get it revoked for life. But I believe it was reported that the revocation can be revisted in 5 years and a limited-type license awarded.
-
I can pretty much say I agree with Amber, Adam, Shep, and Jclong.
Stallworth got his, he's out millions, he is in prison for 30 days (prison is prison, 30 days or 30 years, you can still become someones bitch), He's suspended for at least 8 games, he has 1000 hours of community service to do, he's on 2 years close watch and like 8 years probation, and he's never allowed to drive again for the rest of his life, ever.
That's not as light as everyone is making it out to be.
Everyone here knows I support Vick coming back to the league, he has paid his debt to society. I see each individual NFL team as a separate employer. The falcons have the right to fire him, but I don't think its fair that Goodell can restrict him from playing for any other teams, I think that should be up to each individual team.
You all keep saying, Donte killed a man... yes he did.... but it was an accident, there was no intent to harm anyone. Vick purposefully did what he did, and he intended to do it. Thats why his sentence was harsher, but as I said, he paid his debt and I support him.
Once Donte does his 30 days, he will be allowed to work again, and I see no reason why he cannot work in the NFL since it is what he is good at, and since doesnt pose any danger to society anymore, he cant drive, and Im pretty sure he's gonna be smart enough not to from here on out, many people have referred to him as an intelligent individual. Everyone makes mistakes, Donte's ended a mans life, but Donte shouldnt be forced to end his, thats the same eye for an eye thinking that will be the end of this world. As Amber said the family is content, the law is content, (Stallworth is not content, he is deeply remoreseful) so why cant the NFL and its fans be content?
Stallworth has a steep sentence as well as tough conscience from here on out, and thats going to stick with him for the rest of his life, and that is more of a punishment than any amount of prison time
I don't think its fair that Goodell can restrict him from playing for any other teams, I think that should be up to each individual team.
Those are the terms and conditions of playing in the NFL and in his contract. If he didn't want to abide by those rules then he doesn't have to play football.
-
Actually he lost his license for life.
I did argue before that he got off easy. I am sort of rethinking that stand point.
Yes, he did get it revoked for life. But I believe it was reported that the revocation can be revisted in 5 years and a limited-type license awarded.
Yes, he did get it revoked for life. But I believe it was reported that the revocation can be revisted in 5 years and a limited-type license awarded.
Oh, good to know.
-
Okay this is a bit much...Mike Vick defrauded the NFL the US Government and commited a heinous crime against humanity for murdering dogs... and he was suspended indefinitely. Stallworth on the other hand, drove drunk hit and killed a humanbeing who may or may not have been "breaking the law" (jay walking) and using poor judgement (jumping out infront of traffic). Stallworth didn't run from his mistake or try to lie about it, he stayed there took his lumps made things as right as they could possibly be (under the circumstances) and will do his time as handed down by and count of law...(unlike another NFL wide reciever who shall remain nameless and who very likely will be suiting up for an NFL team this season.) Now I am in no way saying Stallworth shouldn't be punished...by all means give him and 4 or 8 game suspension...but while we condemn his crimes let us not for get to commend his handling of the situation...he didn't bitch or whine or cry about it being "not my fault" he maned up and did the right thing. No I am an huge Brown's Fan...but I am not a huge Stallworth fan....until now...in a world full of celebrity athletes who lie cheat and steal their way out of trouble, Stallworth handled it the right way. I am not saying he should be congratulated or rewarded I am saying he shouldn't be crusified. Thank you for reading.
Okay this is a bit much...Mike Vick defrauded the NFL the US Government and commited a heinous crime against humanity for murdering dogs... and he was suspended indefinitely. Stallworth on the other hand, drove drunk hit and killed a humanbeing who may or may not have been "breaking the law" (jay walking) and using poor judgement (jumping out infront of traffic). Stallworth didn't run from his mistake or try to lie about it, he stayed there took his lumps made things as right as they could possibly be (under the circumstances) and will do his time as handed down by and count of law...(unlike another NFL wide reciever who shall remain nameless and who very likely will be suiting up for an NFL team this season.) Now I am in no way saying Stallworth shouldn't be punished...by all means give him and 4 or 8 game suspension...but while we condemn his crimes let us not for get to commend his handling of the situation...he didn't bitch or whine or cry about it being "not my fault" he maned up and did the right thing. No I am an huge Brown's Fan...but I am not a huge Stallworth fan....until now...in a world full of celebrity athletes who lie cheat and steal their way out of trouble, Stallworth handled it the right way. I am not saying he should be congratulated or rewarded I am saying he shouldn't be crusified. Thank you for reading.
Dude didn't 'jump' out in front of anyone. Read the police report and the arrest warrant, consider that DONTE HIMSELF pled guilty to DUI Manslaughter - Donte knows he was guilty, and was fortunate to be able to plead it down so that he doesn't even a year in jail.
Sorry, I don't see what Vick did anywhere NEAR as bad as running someone over and killing them while you're drunk. What can I say, I think humans > dogs. I'm funny that way.
I can respect that Donte has not whined and complained - he's taken his punishment like a man who made a bad decision that ended someone else's life.
The commissioner has a duty to issue this suspension, based on previous punishments for other players and his desire to clean up the league image.
-
But come on guys after that huge year Stallworth had last year for us how can we lose a game without him?
-
Okay this is a bit much...Mike Vick defrauded the NFL the US Government and commited a heinous crime against humanity for murdering dogs... and he was suspended indefinitely. Stallworth on the other hand, drove drunk hit and killed a humanbeing who may or may not have been "breaking the law" (jay walking) and using poor judgement (jumping out infront of traffic). Stallworth didn't run from his mistake or try to lie about it, he stayed there took his lumps made things as right as they could possibly be (under the circumstances) and will do his time as handed down by and count of law...(unlike another NFL wide reciever who shall remain nameless and who very likely will be suiting up for an NFL team this season.) Now I am in no way saying Stallworth shouldn't be punished...by all means give him and 4 or 8 game suspension...but while we condemn his crimes let us not for get to commend his handling of the situation...he didn't bitch or whine or cry about it being "not my fault" he maned up and did the right thing. No I am an huge Brown's Fan...but I am not a huge Stallworth fan....until now...in a world full of celebrity athletes who lie cheat and steal their way out of trouble, Stallworth handled it the right way. I am not saying he should be congratulated or rewarded I am saying he shouldn't be crusified. Thank you for reading.
Dude didn't 'jump' out in front of anyone. Read the police report and the arrest warrant, consider that DONTE HIMSELF pled guilty to DUI Manslaughter - Donte knows he was guilty, and was fortunate to be able to plead it down so that he doesn't even a year in jail.
Sorry, I don't see what Vick did anywhere NEAR as bad as running someone over and killing them while you're drunk. What can I say, I think humans > dogs. I'm funny that way.
I can respect that Donte has not whined and complained - he's taken his punishment like a man who made a bad decision that ended someone else's life.
The commissioner has a duty to issue this suspension, based on previous punishments for other players and his desire to clean up the league image.
Dude didn't 'jump' out in front of anyone. Read the police report and the arrest warrant, consider that DONTE HIMSELF pled guilty to DUI Manslaughter - Donte knows he was guilty, and was fortunate to be able to plead it down so that he doesn't even a year in jail.
Sorry, I don't see what Vick did anywhere NEAR as bad as running someone over and killing them while you're drunk. What can I say, I think humans > dogs. I'm funny that way.
I can respect that Donte has not whined and complained - he's taken his punishment like a man who made a bad decision that ended someone else's life.
The commissioner has a duty to issue this suspension, based on previous punishments for other players and his desire to clean up the league image.
You got a link to that police report or arrest warrant? What exactly did it say about the guy crossing a 6 lanes, out of a crosswalk, in the early morning hours, to get to a bus? What does it say about what lane he was in, what actions he took prior to being hit, etc? Dude, you keep assuming that the guy wasn't doing anything wrong that could have prevented himself from being hit. So I want to see a link to this proof.
-
Marijuana in Stallworth's System?
by Site Staff of theOBR.com, June 20, 2009 at 1:26am ET
The OBR's Twitter stream is showing a message from the Dan LeBatard program this evening. It indicated that Browns RB Jim Brown revealed that there was marijuana in Donte Stallworth's system. If true, it would make the case against Stallworth returning any time soon even stronger. In addition to this nugget being revealed, Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) are pressuring the NFL, upset at the minimal sentence handed down to Stallworth.
More from PFT:
Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown, who remains a senior member of Cleveland Browns management, suggested on Friday that Browns receiver Donte’ Stallworth was smoking marijuana on the evening/morning of the accident that claimed the life of 59-year-old Mario Reyes.
Brown made his remarks during an appearance on 790 The Ticket’s The Dan LeBatard Show.
“This situation is a tragedy all around, but what was involved was alcohol and marijuana,” Brown said. “On one hand, DUI is a very serious thing in America. Marijuana of course is against all the rules.”
Brown explained that he has some “inside information that says that that was also a part of what was detected,” presumably in the blood test imposed on Stallworth. Brown said he’s not “100 percent sure” that this is true, but Brown said he spoke with a "very reliable source” who shared this information.
Brown described Stallworth as “very fortunate” on a couple of occasions, given the relatively lenient sentence imposed.
-
@inspecta said:
This is kinda bullshit though. Just talked to my one buddy, his dad got out of prison a few months ago. Served 12 years of a 24 year sentence. I'll give you one guess what crime he committed....And exactly why I believe Stallworth got off easy. Of course his career in the NFL will be affected. And Roger Goodell's statement and pending actions on Stallworth will be in the best interest of the league. Yea, I believe in second chances, I think we can all say weve been given MANY second chances in life. Donte has his too.
Being able to walk out of prison in 24 days is a good start. And then he can pick up the pieces and move on, football or not.
-
Weed in his system?
I said it first, I still think this is the case, he was out at 7am because he was picking up coke. I know there is no proof, but I just have a gut feeling. No one is up all night drinking without doing some coke. Hey, I was in college once, trust me. I saw the video.
-
Weed in his system?
I said it first, I still think this is the case, he was out at 7am because he was picking up coke. I know there is no proof, but I just have a gut feeling. No one is up all night drinking without doing some coke. Hey, I was in college once, trust me. I saw the video.
Weed in his system?
I said it first, I still think this is the case, he was out at 7am because he was picking up coke. I know there is no proof, but I just have a gut feeling. No one is up all night drinking without doing some coke. Hey, I was in college once, trust me. I saw the video.
Dude you're wrong. I live in Vegas and have had many a night where the partying didn't stop until 9 am the next day. No drugs involved. In a place like Miami the same is possible. You need to get out more and stop thinking of your life in college.

-
Weed in his system?
I said it first, I still think this is the case, he was out at 7am because he was picking up coke. I know there is no proof, but I just have a gut feeling. No one is up all night drinking without doing some coke. Hey, I was in college once, trust me. I saw the video.
Dude you're wrong. I live in Vegas and have had many a night where the partying didn't stop until 9 am the next day. No drugs involved. In a place like Miami the same is possible. You need to get out more and stop thinking of your life in college.

You need to get out more
And stay up until 9 am drinking, got it.
-
Weed in his system?
I said it first, I still think this is the case, he was out at 7am because he was picking up coke. I know there is no proof, but I just have a gut feeling. No one is up all night drinking without doing some coke. Hey, I was in college once, trust me. I saw the video.
Dude you're wrong. I live in Vegas and have had many a night where the partying didn't stop until 9 am the next day. No drugs involved. In a place like Miami the same is possible. You need to get out more and stop thinking of your life in college.

You need to get out more
If you mean living in 3 countries and 7 states as "getting out", then I think I'm good.
-
You need to get out more
If you mean living in 3 countries and 7 states as "getting out", then I think I'm good.
If you mean living in 3 countries and 7 states as "getting out", then I think I'm good.
Still living in Euclid, Ohio though, huh? LOL.
-
If you mean living in 3 countries and 7 states as "getting out", then I think I'm good.
Still living in Euclid, Ohio though, huh? LOL.
Still living in Euclid, Ohio though, huh? LOL.
Yea my dad had his third hip replacement surgery and needed help. He's a vet.
Last year was living in Kitty Hawk on the OBX. Previously lived in Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Conover, Madison, Martinsville, Chesapeake, Chicago, Leeds, Dollymount, Manchester, to name a few. Thanks for asking though, my dad is doing fine now. LOL? Vegas rules, lol. You need to get out more.
-
Still living in Euclid, Ohio though, huh? LOL.
Yea my dad had his third hip replacement surgery and needed help. He's a vet.
Last year was living in Kitty Hawk on the OBX. Previously lived in Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Conover, Madison, Martinsville, Chesapeake, Chicago, Leeds, Dollymount, Manchester, to name a few. Thanks for asking though, my dad is doing fine now. LOL? Vegas rules, lol. You need to get out more.
Last year was living in Kitty Hawk on the OBX. Previously lived in Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Conover, Madison, Martinsville, Chesapeake, Chicago, Leeds, Dollymount, Manchester, to name a few. .
What is this eHarmony?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login