Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Steps for next year

Steps for next year

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
15 Posts 13 Posters 509 Views 1 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/10/fixing-the-cleveland-browns-2019-offseason-plan/

    I thought this is a pretty interesting article. I do question the idea that William should be gone, especially with a couple more wins this season. If Kitchens and Mayfield are compatible I don't know that I want to see a new offensive system with all new terminology brought in. I would like to see William adjust the defense to slow down the Run.

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    nickersN 1 Reply Last reply
    👍
    Quote Reply
    • ATOM ATOMA One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 2k Posts
      • 657 Reputation
      ATOMA ATOM wrote on last edited by
      #2

      for what ever reason the writer seems to have a ax to grind with williams  saying that he doe's not agree with his coaching or teaching of the team he also go's on to say that if we keep kitchens running are offense that we should get a defensive head coach (don't we all ready have one )

      KvoetheK 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Unsympathetic U Reacting Well Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 4k Posts
        • 1k Reputation
        U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
        #3

        1) Malcom Brown is only expendable because of the NE emergence of... Shelton.  If we get a DL to replace Meder it has to be a first-rounder.. because the gap in performance between Meder and Brown/Shelton is actually negligible at best, and it makes no sense to spend $7M for the same outcome you'd get by re-signing Meder to 950k.

        2) Avery is not a starter in this league because he can't cover in space - but every good team has good backups.

        3) Good point that Arians runs the same offense Hue tried to run.. which isn't a fit here no matter how many times it would be tried.

        4) Kitchens for OC? Might as well.. I can't imagine any better outcome with this season's cast being remotely probable.

        5) Trenton Brown? I liked him when he was named Desmond Harrison - the project that seems to have potential but needs to add a lot o strength.

        6) We did decently well this past off-season signing DB's.. sure, that can be tried again, but results would probably be the same.

        The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you. "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." Paul Brown
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • W Westside Steve

          https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/10/fixing-the-cleveland-browns-2019-offseason-plan/

          I thought this is a pretty interesting article. I do question the idea that William should be gone, especially with a couple more wins this season. If Kitchens and Mayfield are compatible I don't know that I want to see a new offensive system with all new terminology brought in. I would like to see William adjust the defense to slow down the Run.

          WSS

          nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
          • 14k Posts
          • 5k Reputation
          nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @westside-steve said:

          https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/10/fixing-the-cleveland-browns-2019-offseason-plan/

          I thought this is a pretty interesting article. I do question the idea that William should be gone, especially with a couple more wins this season. If Kitchens and Mayfield are compatible I don't know that I want to see a new offensive system with all new terminology brought in. I would like to see William adjust the defense to slow down the Run.

          WSS

          Couldn't disagree more with this asshat... He clearly knows nothing about coaching and football...

          Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • ATOMA ATOM

            for what ever reason the writer seems to have a ax to grind with williams  saying that he doe's not agree with his coaching or teaching of the team he also go's on to say that if we keep kitchens running are offense that we should get a defensive head coach (don't we all ready have one )

            Kvoethe KvoetheK Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 3k Posts
            • 924 Reputation
            KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @atom said:

            for what ever reason the writer seems to have a ax to grind with williams  saying that he doe's not agree with his coaching or teaching of the team he also go's on to say that if we keep kitchens running are offense that we should get a defensive head coach (don't we all ready have one )

            Me either...the pluto article about how the players pick each other up speaks volumes to what the hc is doing riggt

            1 Reply Last reply
            ❤
            Quote Reply
            • Dutch Oven Dutch OvenD Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 15k Posts
              • 8k Reputation
              Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Here's the problem I have with Gregg Williams as the long-term head coach:

              Gregg Williams, defensive coordinator for Gregg Williams, head coach. 

              Canton MikeC 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven

                Here's the problem I have with Gregg Williams as the long-term head coach:

                Gregg Williams, defensive coordinator for Gregg Williams, head coach. 

                Canton Mike Canton MikeC
                • 4k Posts
                • 2k Reputation
                Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @dutch-oven said:

                Here's the problem I have with Gregg Williams as the long-term head coach:

                Gregg Williams, defensive coordinator for Gregg Williams, head coach. 

                I believe that, were Greg hired as HC, his son Blake would become D coordinator.

                Mike

                IN DORSEY I TRUST
                Z 1 Reply Last reply
                👍
                Quote Reply
                • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 9k Posts
                  • 2k Reputation
                  ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  Just on mans opinion.

                  If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike

                    @dutch-oven said:

                    Here's the problem I have with Gregg Williams as the long-term head coach:

                    Gregg Williams, defensive coordinator for Gregg Williams, head coach. 

                    I believe that, were Greg hired as HC, his son Blake would become D coordinator.

                    Mike

                    Zombo Z
                    • 8k Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @canton-mike said:

                    I believe that, were Greg hired as HC, his son Blake would become D coordinator.

                    Mike

                    Yes, I think so too.

                    Listen, it's up to Dorsey, but if Baker is happy with Kitchens, and Williams has instilled discipline and an expectation of winning of every week ... don't overthink it.

                    If we go out to Denver and beat them at home, then end the search, make Williams HC with a 4-year deal give Kitchens a nice contract (He's going to be heavily recruited) Now to stay on as offensive guru and let Blake take over defense. Two young hungry guys calling the plays and one no-nonsense hardass running the ship.

                    Zombo

                    jiggins7919J The GipperT 2 Replies Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Z Zombo

                      @canton-mike said:

                      I believe that, were Greg hired as HC, his son Blake would become D coordinator.

                      Mike

                      Yes, I think so too.

                      Listen, it's up to Dorsey, but if Baker is happy with Kitchens, and Williams has instilled discipline and an expectation of winning of every week ... don't overthink it.

                      If we go out to Denver and beat them at home, then end the search, make Williams HC with a 4-year deal give Kitchens a nice contract (He's going to be heavily recruited) Now to stay on as offensive guru and let Blake take over defense. Two young hungry guys calling the plays and one no-nonsense hardass running the ship.

                      Zombo

                      jiggins7919 jiggins7919J Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 5k Posts
                      • 1k Reputation
                      jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Zombo said:

                      Yes, I think so too.

                      Listen, it's up to Dorsey, but if Baker is happy with Kitchens, and Williams has instilled discipline and an expectation of winning of every week ... don't overthink it.

                      If we go out to Denver and beat them at home, then end the search, make Williams HC with a 4-year deal give Kitchens a nice contract (He's going to be heavily recruited) Now to stay on as offensive guru and let Blake take over defense. Two young hungry guys calling the plays and one no-nonsense hardass running the ship.

                      Zombo

                      I realize that “winning cures all” and the team is vibing right now because they’ve had some success, but I wonder if breaking up the coaching staff is really the smartest move when it’s obvious the players are responding so well to what we currently have on staff.  You can tell when you watch their play, listen to their interviews, see their reactions, and a ton of other small things.  It’s very obvious the team is “buying in” to whatever it is Gregg is selling. 

                      Like Gregg has said before, the players WANT discipline.  They want to know consequences for actions are going to be fair and consistent.  They want to be held to high standards, to be accountable.  And let’s not act like Gregg is all discipline and no heart, far from it.  You can tell by the celebrations after the game how much this means to our coach, and just how much the players want to win for him.  Heck, just listen to Gregg’s pressers after the game and during the week.  I can’t believe I actually listen to every single one of his conference calls or media pressers because I never used to.  Hue Jackson would get up to the podium and I’d turn the channel INSTANTLY.  Now, I find myself completely intrigued by what Gregg says, and he provides some real insight to the team.  You get the feeling that Gregg isn’t sugar-coating anything and he just tells it like it is.  From a fan standpoint, it’s refreshing, and I think the fans AND media are starting to get used to Gregg and honestly like him. 

                      Gregg is really just a part of the equation, and the other main variable is Freddie Kitchens.  Obviously I don’t have any NFL connections, but I can tell you Freddie Kitchens is going to be an OC next year somewhere.  You guys remember when Todd Haley let Kitchens call the plays for our last preseason game against the Lions?  At the time I didn’t think it was a big deal, but I remember liking our offensive scheme that game and I want to say we did well.  Now, we can see that Kitchens really DOES have a good feel for the game, and he’s just beginning to LEARN how to call plays.  That’s what we have to remember.  If Kitchens is in the infancy of his play-calling career and doing this well, do we REALLY want to cut him loose and let another team reap the rewards of our nurturing?  Oh, and there’s the not-so-small factor that Baker Mayfield is thriving under Kitchens with the same exact personnel that Haley and Hue had to work with, so why would we want to screw that up?  Bring in another “offensive mind” so Baker can learn all new schemes, language, formations, audibles, etc?  Does that really make sense?  Wouldn’t it seem more logical to keep the exact playbook, so instead of LEARNING a new system, Baker can now work to MASTER it?

                      My gut tells me that Gregg and Kitchens don’t have a great chance to stay.  I can’t think of a single coach that would take the head coaching job, only for Dorsey to tell him that Kitchens has to stay.  Not only that, I don’t believe we’re going to finish the season on a very high note.  I’m not being “negative”, I just don’t think we’re going to win at Denver, and I don’t think we’ll win at Baltimore, either.  I’m picking us to beat the Bengals in Cleveland, but even that game is likely to be an absolute war.  The weather is probably going to be nasty for our last 2-3 games, and we don’t stop the run well.  But hey, who knows?  I’ll tell you this, if we win 2 of our last 3 I don’t think there’s a way you can let the coaching staff go.  It’d be franchise suicide to a team that hasn’t had much stability in forever, and if you keep Hue Jackson for over 2 years, you better keep the coaches that have your team actually WINNING a few games. 

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Z Zombo

                        @canton-mike said:

                        I believe that, were Greg hired as HC, his son Blake would become D coordinator.

                        Mike

                        Yes, I think so too.

                        Listen, it's up to Dorsey, but if Baker is happy with Kitchens, and Williams has instilled discipline and an expectation of winning of every week ... don't overthink it.

                        If we go out to Denver and beat them at home, then end the search, make Williams HC with a 4-year deal give Kitchens a nice contract (He's going to be heavily recruited) Now to stay on as offensive guru and let Blake take over defense. Two young hungry guys calling the plays and one no-nonsense hardass running the ship.

                        Zombo

                        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                        • 57k Posts
                        • 4k Reputation
                        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
                        #11

                        Zombo said:

                        Yes, I think so too.

                        Listen, it's up to Dorsey, but if Baker is happy with Kitchens, and Williams has instilled discipline and an expectation of winning of every week ... don't overthink it.

                        If we go out to Denver and beat them at home, then end the search, make Williams HC with a 4-year deal give Kitchens a nice contract (He's going to be heavily recruited) Now to stay on as offensive guru and let Blake take over defense. Two young hungry guys calling the plays and one no-nonsense hardass running the ship.

                        Zombo

                        Think about it....if the Browns beat the Broncos Saturday, then Greg Williams will have won more games in 6 games as HC than Hueless the Clueless would have won in 2.5 seasons. He has already matched his win total after just 5 games.

                        Even if they only win one of the last 3...he will have surpassed him in just 8 games as coach.

                        T 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • The GipperT The Gipper

                          Zombo said:

                          Yes, I think so too.

                          Listen, it's up to Dorsey, but if Baker is happy with Kitchens, and Williams has instilled discipline and an expectation of winning of every week ... don't overthink it.

                          If we go out to Denver and beat them at home, then end the search, make Williams HC with a 4-year deal give Kitchens a nice contract (He's going to be heavily recruited) Now to stay on as offensive guru and let Blake take over defense. Two young hungry guys calling the plays and one no-nonsense hardass running the ship.

                          Zombo

                          Think about it....if the Browns beat the Broncos Saturday, then Greg Williams will have won more games in 6 games as HC than Hueless the Clueless would have won in 2.5 seasons. He has already matched his win total after just 5 games.

                          Even if they only win one of the last 3...he will have surpassed him in just 8 games as coach.

                          TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 23k Posts
                          • 6k Reputation
                          T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @the-gipper said:

                          Think about it....if the Browns beat the Broncos Saturday, then Greg Williams will have won more games in 6 games as HC than Hueless the Clueless would have won in 2.5 seasons. He has already matched his win total after just 5 games.

                          Even if they only win one of the last 3...he will have surpassed him in just 8 games as coach.

                          I've stated elsewhere that the broncos game is THE turnaround game for this franchise. Win it and Greg/Kitchens stay and the Brown are now looking at playoffs next year for sure. Let's not screw this up. Broncos have proven vulnerable this year. We can do this!! I am actually rooting hard against my other team the Broncos this Sat. night. Go Browns! Turn it all around without the clueless one.

                          The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • T TexasAg1969

                            @the-gipper said:

                            Think about it....if the Browns beat the Broncos Saturday, then Greg Williams will have won more games in 6 games as HC than Hueless the Clueless would have won in 2.5 seasons. He has already matched his win total after just 5 games.

                            Even if they only win one of the last 3...he will have surpassed him in just 8 games as coach.

                            I've stated elsewhere that the broncos game is THE turnaround game for this franchise. Win it and Greg/Kitchens stay and the Brown are now looking at playoffs next year for sure. Let's not screw this up. Broncos have proven vulnerable this year. We can do this!! I am actually rooting hard against my other team the Broncos this Sat. night. Go Browns! Turn it all around without the clueless one.

                            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                            • 57k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
                            #13

                            @texasag1969 said:

                            I've stated elsewhere that the broncos game is THE turnaround game for this franchise. Win it and Greg/Kitchens stay and the Brown are now looking at playoffs next year for sure. Let's not screw this up. Broncos have proven vulnerable this year. We can do this!! I am actually rooting hard against my other team the Broncos this Sat. night. Go Browns! Turn it all around without the clueless one.

                            Meh.....
                            Browns always lose in Denver......the other two games on their schedule are more critical....for these reasons:  A. Bengals game...division game...and the chance to put those pussy.....cats...in the basement where they belong.  2. Ravens....also division game...and rivalry game...with a chance to sweep the season series from these Ratrapers....and to kill their playoff chances.  

                            Let's put it this way  I would trade a loss to the Brokeback Mountainmen for a win over the Ratrapers.   I would still rather see  Denver make the playoffs than the Ravens.    

                            T 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • The GipperT The Gipper

                              @texasag1969 said:

                              I've stated elsewhere that the broncos game is THE turnaround game for this franchise. Win it and Greg/Kitchens stay and the Brown are now looking at playoffs next year for sure. Let's not screw this up. Broncos have proven vulnerable this year. We can do this!! I am actually rooting hard against my other team the Broncos this Sat. night. Go Browns! Turn it all around without the clueless one.

                              Meh.....
                              Browns always lose in Denver......the other two games on their schedule are more critical....for these reasons:  A. Bengals game...division game...and the chance to put those pussy.....cats...in the basement where they belong.  2. Ravens....also division game...and rivalry game...with a chance to sweep the season series from these Ratrapers....and to kill their playoff chances.  

                              Let's put it this way  I would trade a loss to the Brokeback Mountainmen for a win over the Ratrapers.   I would still rather see  Denver make the playoffs than the Ravens.    

                              TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 23k Posts
                              • 6k Reputation
                              T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @the-gipper said:

                              Meh.....
                              Browns always lose in Denver......the other two games on their schedule are more critical....for these reasons:  A. Bengals game...division game...and the chance to put those pussy.....cats...in the basement where they belong.  2. Ravens....also division game...and rivalry game...with a chance to sweep the season series from these Ratrapers....and to kill their playoff chances.  

                              Let's put it this way  I would trade a loss to the Brokeback Mountainmen for a win over the Ratrapers.   I would still rather see  Denver make the playoffs than the Ravens.    

                              Understood. Yet I think if we beat the Broncos the rest of the dominoes fall the next two weeks and we are well on our way to playoffs next year with just a few player changes in FA/Draft. Run the table!!

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                • 64k Posts
                                • 8k Reputation
                                C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                What impresses me is the emotion running high being a TEAM.

                                Kitchens is going to stay, I think that means Williams is hc.

                                "If It ain't broke, don't try to fix it."

                                https://www.al.com/sports/2018/11/nfl-week-13-freddie-kitchens-has-browns-offense-cooking.html

                                https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/11/how-freddie-kitchens-has-left-his-mark-on-the-browns-offense.html

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply

                                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                With your input, this post could be even better đź’—

                                Register Login
                                Reply
                                • Reply as topic
                                Log in to reply
                                • Oldest to Newest
                                • Newest to Oldest
                                • Most Votes


                                Theme
                                • System
                                • Light
                                • Dark
                                The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                • First post
                                  Last post
                                0
                                • Forums
                                • Recent
                                • Popular
                                • Users
                                • Donate