Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Looking for Recommendations

Looking for Recommendations

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
12 Posts 9 Posters 893 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Chicopee John C
    • 2k Posts
    • 104 Reputation
    C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by Chicopee John
    #1

    Well, this Tuesday we load up the van and drive approximately 1000 to Sheboygan, WI for my wife's Mother's Memorial Service and scattering of her remains - she passed away in Jan after a horrible 6 years of Parkinson's and Dementia. Mericifly, she passed away.

    Once we drive back, we spend a few days at home (and work) before heading for Brewster, MA on The Cape - hopefully for a week of R&R and Cape Cod League baseball.

    I tell you this, not because you are particularly interested in my schedule but because it provides a segway into my real purpose.

    It is time for summer and vacation reading. Not particularly comparable to winter reading but with an opportunity to read a relaxing, albeit entertaining and well-written prose, in a relaxing atmosphere.

    So, let's have it. I am open to suggestions for specific books that might lend themselves as opportunities for all of us.

    In a variety of posts, Steve has listed a biography about Bonnie and Clyde, Mr. T and I have exchanged posts about the intriguing man and book, "Will" about G. Gordon Liddy, and I have mentioned the incredible, 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt.

    I will also recommend Shep's book, "Henry's List of Wrongs" - something I read years ago and provides a good backdrop for posts and posters on this or any board.

    The floor is open:

    PS Are you on dry land either this coming Tuesday or next Sunday nights???? Maybe I can finagle a visit to the great new brew pub in Akron.

    "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
      • 28k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
      #2

      It's a real old book by Leon Uris, "Battle Cry". You probably have read it. But I first read it in High School in 1970. About WW2, specifically, the Marines.

      "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
      C 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Kosar_For_President Kosar_For_PresidentK
        • 6k Posts
        • 221 Reputation
        Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I am a huge fan of Frank McCort. Have read all his books. Right now I am reading The Art of War again (very slowly), but even the second time through, it takes forever to read.

        For some light reading, I love bio's. In the last year I have read James Brown, Willie Nelson, Charles Manson, Phil Jackson (I am reading now) and a book on the 86 Mets. I also listen to some of these on tapes on book on the way to work.

        Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB - Ghoolie, 2-28-12
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • mz. ?
          • Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          ? mz. wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I'm sorry for your loss. My mother-in-law died in October so I know just what you're going through.

          I would read anything by David Foster Wallace (except for Infinite Jest, which is amazing but like giving birth I would guess). Maybe read Brief Interviews With Hideous Men.

          I am also a huge fan of Dave Eggers, Chuck Klosterman (if you like pop culture), Chuck Bukowski (crude but you can tear through each one in a few days) and Bret Easton Ellis.

          ? 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
            • 64k Posts
            • 8k Reputation
            C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
            #5

            John, really sorry about your tough times,

            as far as reading goes - If you can find Joseph Campbell's "Hero of a Thousand Faces", it's a deep

            and amazing book about his theory on the monomythical patterns in literature.

            I haven't read but 50 pages of Mark Levin's book "Liberty and Tyranny", but it

            has an outstanding reputation, #1 best seller, etc.

            Or, I would even send you what I have finished of my adventure novel, though it's only eh...3/4 to being finished..

            you can be the first to give me some constructive feedback...

            When I was in the service, I read "The Hobbit" ... much, much better than any of the movies on the same.

            OR,

            just grab any Zane Grey western and have a Western adventure.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan

              It's a real old book by Leon Uris, "Battle Cry". You probably have read it. But I first read it in High School in 1970. About WW2, specifically, the Marines.

              Chicopee John C
              • 2k Posts
              • 104 Reputation
              C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Thank, Diehard. I did read it. Very good.

              BTW, did you read Dick Marcinko's first book.........forget the name. It was nonfiction and it is excellent, especially if one were to compare to his steriotypical and poorly written attempts at fiction.

              @diehardbrownsfan said:

              It's a real old book by Leon Uris, "Battle Cry". You probably have read it. But I first read it in High School in 1970. About WW2, specifically, the Marines.
              "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Mr. T Mr. TM
                • 7k Posts
                • 184 Reputation
                Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Sorry for your loss John, I hope all is well with you and your family.

                As far as what books to recommend, it depends on what mood your in.

                political, fiction or non fiction.

                I have 2 books on my list

                LongWalkers: Return of the Nephilim Written by Stephen Quayle and Duncan Long

                and

                Power to the People, Written by Laura Ingraham.

                Head or Gut?
                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                  • 39k Posts
                  • 9k Reputation
                  W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  Harlan Coben is hands down the best mystery writer alive.

                  Some of his books have a continuing character, a sports agent who gets involved with crimes, and many that are independent.

                  All are nearly impossible to put down.

                  WSS

                  www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • ? Guest

                    I'm sorry for your loss. My mother-in-law died in October so I know just what you're going through.

                    I would read anything by David Foster Wallace (except for Infinite Jest, which is amazing but like giving birth I would guess). Maybe read Brief Interviews With Hideous Men.

                    I am also a huge fan of Dave Eggers, Chuck Klosterman (if you like pop culture), Chuck Bukowski (crude but you can tear through each one in a few days) and Bret Easton Ellis.

                    Aloysius ?
                    • Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    ? Aloysius wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    My belated condolences, John.

                    mz. said:

                    I would read anything by David Foster Wallace (except for Infinite Jest, which is amazing but like giving birth I would guess). Maybe read Brief Interviews With Hideous Men.

                    You should check this out:

                    infinite summer

                    @calfoxwc said:

                    I haven't read but 50 pages of Mark Levin's book "Liberty and Tyranny", but it

                    has an outstanding reputation, #1 best seller, etc.

                    Josh Marshall makes a good point:

                    Josh Marshall said:

                    I take it as a sign of progress that Jews in America can now not only be doctors and lawyers and entertainers and professors but also borderline fascistic right-wing radio maniacs. All the jobs are now open to us.

                    As for my recs: I'd check out Don DeLillo's White Noise, which is a surprisingly poignant meditation on family and death. His football novel, End Zone, is also worth reading.

                    C 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • ? Guest

                      My belated condolences, John.

                      mz. said:

                      I would read anything by David Foster Wallace (except for Infinite Jest, which is amazing but like giving birth I would guess). Maybe read Brief Interviews With Hideous Men.

                      You should check this out:

                      infinite summer

                      @calfoxwc said:

                      I haven't read but 50 pages of Mark Levin's book "Liberty and Tyranny", but it

                      has an outstanding reputation, #1 best seller, etc.

                      Josh Marshall makes a good point:

                      Josh Marshall said:

                      I take it as a sign of progress that Jews in America can now not only be doctors and lawyers and entertainers and professors but also borderline fascistic right-wing radio maniacs. All the jobs are now open to us.

                      As for my recs: I'd check out Don DeLillo's White Noise, which is a surprisingly poignant meditation on family and death. His football novel, End Zone, is also worth reading.

                      Chicopee John C
                      • 2k Posts
                      • 104 Reputation
                      C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Aloysius said:

                      My belated condolences, John.

                      You should check this out:

                      infinite summer

                      Josh Marshall makes a good point:

                      As for my recs: I'd check out Don DeLillo's White Noise, which is a surprisingly poignant meditation on family and death. His football novel, End Zone, is also worth reading.

                      Thanks Al!!

                      This is a more-than-one-book summer so I appreciate all of your (and everybody else's) input.

                      "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Legacy Fan Legacy FanL
                        • 3k Posts
                        • 197 Reputation
                        Legacy FanL Legacy Fan wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        I'm re-reading my text on pathophysiology. Admissions tests are fun. 😒

                        Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. -Don Shula
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • lambdo L
                          • 175 Posts
                          • 6 Reputation
                          L lambdo wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Khaled Hosseini - A Thousand Splendid Suns .

                          Goes through the cycles of government through Afganistan telling stories from two different women.

                          Very well written, one of the most interesting books I've read, considering the very little i knew about the different regime's that have controlled that region from the Soviets onward.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply

                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                          Register Login
                          Reply
                          • Reply as topic
                          Log in to reply
                          • Oldest to Newest
                          • Newest to Oldest
                          • Most Votes


                          Theme
                          • System
                          • Light
                          • Dark
                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                          • First post
                            Last post
                          0
                          • Forums
                          • Recent
                          • Popular
                          • Users
                          • Donate