Skip to content

Josh Gordon Leaving the Patriots to Focus on Mental Health

The Browns Board
108 39 2.8k 1
  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

    Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #2

    A shame that someone with such natural talent had to waste it.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    If that is in fact the issue then I wish him well.Ā  Ā Those aren't problems easily addressed.Ā 

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I'm shocked Cotton.Ā 

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Dorsey looks like even more of a genius now for getting a fifth rounder for this guy.Ā 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #6

    We already replaced him. His name is Breshad Perriman.Ā 

    Here's hoping Dorsey doesn't out-think himself.. a first-round WR already said he wants to be here long-term, just sign the guy already.

    As to Gordon -- my bet is he was smoking to avoid thinking about something.. so take the weed away and you have to confront the demon.Ā  With his talent I do hope he plays somewhere.. my guess is the structure/normality [for him] of football will help.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I just posted the same thing and then deleted mine. I don't wish the kid any particular ill but neither do I wish him any great success elsewhere after the shit we put up with.

    WSS

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #8

    In Dorsey We Trust.

    Zombo

  • If that is in fact the issue then I wish him well.Ā  Ā Those aren't problems easily addressed.Ā 

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @tiamat63 said:

    If that is in fact the issue then I wish him well.Ā  Ā Those aren't problems easily addressed.Ā 

    For sure, it has nothing to do with hoping the guy fails or doesn't recover. I just hope this makes people realize Dorsey and the powers that be realized his issues were ones that this organization couldn't fix, and it was time to let other players earn their spot.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I had forgotten so i'm betting others had as well:

    The trade for Gordon did not have conditions either way.Ā  Next year's draft implications are:Ā 

    Pats receive a 7th [not our original, we haveĀ both Jags' and Steelers', unclear which one was given]

    Browns receive Pats' original 5th

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I feel bad only because I supported and defended this kid.. And only wanted the best for him and our Browns.. But it has become abundantly apparent he does not want to help himself.. Another THIQ addict who must hit absolute rock bottom.. By thatĀ  I mean he must be shut out by everything... And everyone... He must wind up on the street like Joe Gilliam before he can even help himself.. And I do mean dirty, Funky,filthy rock bottom poor...

    The league should stop giving a shit about Josh... He only cares about himself apparently... He apparently doesn't give a shit about anyone else.. But his meager habit...

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    In Dorsey we trust.Ā Ā I know I was really frustrated when we traded him because I thought we could get some valuable time with an outside receiver, and his presence would help Landry dominate over the middle.Ā  The main reason I was so upset with Josh being traded was I didn’t feel like it was fair to Baker Mayfield.Ā  When we had that stretch of football where we lost several games in a row and our offense was struggling, I really felt like we needed someone like Gordon who could go up and make a play on the ball, or just have the ability to score from wherever.Ā  It turns out that our player personnel wasn’t really the problem, and our COACHING was largely to blame for our offensive inadequacies.Ā  I was completely wrong about the WR’s we had on the roster, and I don’t think the addition of Perriman can be overstated.Ā  Like I said the other day, I’m not so sure that there’s not MORE Perriman can do for us, and I’d be beyond shocked if he wasn’t back next year.Ā  We have two first round picks on our offense that were labeled as ā€œbustsā€, but are now playing at a good level.Ā  Both Greg Robinson and Breshad Perriman have found their confidence, and their abilities are starting to shine through.Ā 

    As far as Josh goes, I can’t say enough times how deeply sad this makes me.Ā  There are few things in life as sad as wasted potential.Ā  Mental illness and addiction don’t care who you are, they don’t care where you came from, and they have no mercy.Ā  Josh didn’t do the things he needed to do in order to remain in the NFL, and I doubt he’ll get another chance.Ā  I truly hope he gets the help he so desperately needs, and even if he can’t play in the NFL, I hope he finds happiness and health in the years to come.Ā 

  • NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I'm not the avenging kind of person, but after reading a lot of people whinning about us trading Gordon out after the FO gave him his 10000000th chance, I want these people to come here, read this, and stop talking about him.

    The Josh Gordon chapter is closed for the Browns, we can only wish him the best from now on.Ā 

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #14

    never gonna play another down of NFL football...

    cant say im surprised...but he did last longer than i figured.Ā  longest rookie contract ever...lol

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #15

    He could be a solid pick in next years dead pool

  • http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

    Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

    jbluhm86J jbluhm86 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @jrb12711 said:

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

    Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

    That's true for most people, but I believe that some people weren't upset of the trading away of JG per se, but rather the paltry compensation we received back in return for him. Dorsey was correct in trading him away, but I bet he could've received greater compensation than a 5th rounder.

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Don't think if he could have got more, he would have?

    This is the exact reason he couldn't get more...one more slip up and Gordon is done forever.

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Failed test. Goner

  • I feel bad only because I supported and defended this kid.. And only wanted the best for him and our Browns.. But it has become abundantly apparent he does not want to help himself.. Another THIQ addict who must hit absolute rock bottom.. By thatĀ  I mean he must be shut out by everything... And everyone... He must wind up on the street like Joe Gilliam before he can even help himself.. And I do mean dirty, Funky,filthy rock bottom poor...

    The league should stop giving a shit about Josh... He only cares about himself apparently... He apparently doesn't give a shit about anyone else.. But his meager habit...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @nickers said:

    I feel bad only because I supported and defended this kid.. And only wanted the best for him and our Browns.. But it has become abundantly apparent he does not want to help himself.. Another THIQ addict who must hit absolute rock bottom.. By thatĀ  I mean he must be shut out by everything... And everyone... He must wind up on the street like Joe Gilliam before he can even help himself.. And I do mean dirty, Funky,filthy rock bottom poor...

    The league should stop giving a shit about Josh... He only cares about himself apparently... He apparently doesn't give a shit about anyone else.. But his meager habit...

    A bit too much vitriol there. Ā Gordon has major issues, be they addiction issues, Ā mental issues etc. Ā I have no animosity toward him...it is what it is....and what it is was fairly predictable. Ā So, as has been said, let's just leave it go.

    I mean, the biggest ramification this would have is that the Patriots now do not have someone there that they may have come to rely on, and that they may not be able to perform as well without his as they could have with him. Ā  And that is NOT a consequence that I am going to cry about.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25580285/new-england-patriots-receiver-josh-gordon-says-stepping-away-focus-mental-health

    Normally I wouldn't make this a big deal, but I want every single one of you mf'ers who said trading Gordon was a mistake to step up and eat crow. I still don't wish evil on this kid, but it's obvious he didn't and never cared about being a football player. Top that with the fact we essentially matched his production with a rookie and where are you whiners at now? Yet another feather in the Cap for the Dorsey regime.

    That's true for most people, but I believe that some people weren't upset of the trading away of JG per se, but rather the paltry compensation we received back in return for him. Dorsey was correct in trading him away, but I bet he could've received greater compensation than a 5th rounder.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @jbluhm86 said:

    That's true for most people, but I believe that some people weren't upset of the trading away of JG per se, but rather the paltry compensation we received back in return for him. Dorsey was correct in trading him away, but I bet he could've received greater compensation than a 5th rounder.

    On the contrary.Ā Ā This consequence always seemed inevitable. I think Dorsey ...and the Browns, were extremely lucky to get a 5th rounder in compensation.